What kind of Geek are YOU ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I have been trawling through the site the last couple of days...well I HAVE to now I am a Mod :o .....but I must admit I have been a bit dismayed that there haven't been that many thought provoking threads or posts on the Main Forums.........OK it may be because you are all watching the X Factor:zzz:
or even I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here :zzz: :zzz:

Surely it can't be that ALL the questions have been Asked and Answered!!
So it made me think what kind of things are we all looking for on this Professional Community Forum.

are you here for the community spirit and chat?
are you here to ask for assistance with nail/beauty/hair problems
are you here to impart your wisdom and experience to other nail techs
are you here to learn and grow in your industry

What kind of Geek are you?

The honest way to answer this poll is to look back on all your last posts and see how many were chit chat or blogs ...how many were professional forum questions and how many were professional forum answers...and if you have never posted!!....what is stopping you !!!!

It does us all good to look back and see what we are getting and giving to the site once in a while !

I have been trawling through the site the last couple of days...well I HAVE to now I am a Mod :o .....but I must admit I have been a bit dismayed that there haven't been that many thought provoking threads or posts on the Main Forums.........OK it may be because you are all watching the X Factor:zzz:

So it made me think what kind of things are we all looking for on this Professional Community Forum.

The honest way to answer this poll is to look back on all your last posts and see how many were chit chat or blogs ...how many were professional forum questions and how many were professional forum answers...and if you have never posted!!....what is stopping you !!!!

It does us all good to look back and see what we are getting and giving to the site once in a while !

I've been doing a lot of bloging lol and general chit chat.I have also been looking through old and new posts for advice rather than start a thread that has already been done lol just so I don't get told off lol

I love the advice on this sight I also enjoy the banter

There isn't much advice I can give unless it's about products I use or if I've been in a similar position to someone

Xx

i have to say that i do spend quite a bit of time answering emails and pm from geeks for advice on lashes. i really don't mind i like it when i can help and people send me pics of their work.

i have to say that i am tired of reading threads where people moan about the unqualified nail tech, the extensionist that isnt a hair dresser or cheap salons. i have participated but i do think its time to get over the things that will always be there. and concentrate on ourselves.

I do understand everyones point of view, its frustrating and its daily!

i sometimes refrain from commenting on some threads as sometimes things escalate.

I think i also search a lot now rather that ask. i think we should all bare in mind that in this industry something relevant just a few months ago may not be anymore? xxx

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

When I first joined, I spent hours (seriously!) trawling through posts to help me gain more knowledge and find answers to my questions and mostly found everything I needed by searching and reading rather than posting questions for you to all answer.

Since being on here a little while now, I have got to know a few geeks really well and so inevitably comes banter, chit chat and blogging to share stories and have some fun and I now love that part of this site too and although it's a professional site, I don't see anything wrong with having some areas on the forum where it can be a bit more light-hearted.

Ultimately, I'm on here to learn, grow and be as successful as I can through the wonderful guidance on here and through my own practices using the valuable information I get from this site.

I feel too inferior and inexperienced to comment on a lot of posts at the moment as unless I'm 100% sure what I'm saying is correct, then I won't contribute, as I always bare in mind that guests read the threads and can take what is said as gospel. I hope the more I read on here, the more I practice things for myself through my work, I'll then be able to contribute more to the site over time with thought provoking threads or even being able to answer more questions for others.

SalonGeek was a genius idea and I'm extremely grateful to have found it!

kick-ass professional geek

been on here a few years.....seen the same questions asked over and over again.....point out that the search facility is really rather good (glad to see people use it)

commend when people make commendable comments, despair when people make inane comments or start a thread with "please help"....

confused about the new rules that we have not been told about about blogging to keep the forum uncluttered with unnnecessary comments

wish that this forum remains a professional forum for professionals or people entering the profession and not confusing it with facebook

and hope that we use the forum for what it is - a professional forum for nail, hair, beauty people asking relevant questions to do with the profession, blogging about our ordinary lives, blogging when we need to rant and remembering that anyone can read the comments on here so keeping it professional

Would you believe I last did a very similar thread to this in 2006 !

Some of the people posting then as newbies saying that they mainly used the search or were asking questions, are now respected Geeks and I think at least 1 is a Guide ! Some are no longer here as they are too busy with their businesses and being Educators.

Hopefully when (or if !) you go through your posts and threads you will see how this site works, helping and supporting fellow geeks.

Also it is very much like a virtual Salon, where we get help from experienced members of staff and there is banter and a laugh, but the work also has to get done and it is the whole point of us being here.

It is one of the commandments to post a thought provoking thread every week....OK weekly may be pushing it :rolleyes: but once in a while would make a big difference, and if questions are being asked by PM that would be good in the Main Forums, then get it out there !
More people learn that way as it is not just the person asking that may need to know the answer !!

Last edited:
Geek who loves beauty, but sadly does a day job too which i would never leave.

Love all the information that has been offered to me over the years , met great people, but dislike all the trivial non salon type questions and constant bickering, snide and slagging off of companies these days so dont tend to post much:biggrin:

I guess I am a practical geek. Most of my posts usually contain links to various places to get info either on or off the site or banging on about being practical and proactive in setting up, finding ways to lower costs or other potentially boring topics.

I used to be an active blogger but I havent done so in a while, not for being anti social, but many of the people I would follow on the blogs / would take an interest in mine have since left the site and so I have become a little more private until I get to know some of the newer people.

Ive met some great great friends here and I do remember being thankful for the social section of the site a few years ago when we had a slight earthquake in the middle of the night, I was happy to be able to pop on here and Emmsybabes had already mentioned it and I was thankful I was not going mad and seeing things :eek: (This was in the days before 600 people on facebook would have updated in the first minute after)

Sadly its a nail salon these days

I actually think that there have been several new Hair Geeks lately making a good contribution to the site, but maybe it has not been noticed in amongst all the nail lamp threads !

Geek who loves beauty, but sadly does a day job too which i would never leave.

Love all the information that has been offered to me over the years , met great people, but dislike all the trivial non salon type questions and constant bickering, snide and slagging off of companies these days so dont tend to post much:biggrin:

Another vote, for being more professional on the boards then !!

I try to be a good helpful geek but again the constant extension threads that are all the same yet all get a new thread!! Makes you wanna scream SEARCH!!!!

On the whole I love the site and people on it, yes people forget sometimes about some of the rules but a slight reminder and us geeks are back on track, I hope! And on this note I'm off to do a thought provoking thread! Have a great day geeks x

Last edited:
I'm a helpful and sociable geek...

I always use Search although results don't always appear on mobile devices

I believe Chit Chat is Chit Chat, I see some of you are disliking it so either remove Chit Chat forum completely or let us Chit Chat in peace

I have seen and been on the receiving end of many bitchy comments, but stand by YOU cannot read tone in text.

I subscribe to Business, Nail & Skin though when you log on, instantly you see ALL forums, something may catch my eye in another forum and I'll comment on a thread. I would prefer I only saw the ones I subscribed to, to avoid mis-posting or having to sift through everything.

I was raised in a freedom of speech environment sadly it's all too PC now.

Salon Geek may be for salon professionals but those who don't want Chit Chat, your salons must be very boring places to work. My boss and colleagues talk about everything under the sun when appropriate, I'd be quite bored if all my boss wanted to do on my lunch break was discuss mix ratios!

I have learnt a lot from here saved many threads to refer back to but more importantly made some good friends luckily that I've met in person.

Initially I used the site, as a new therapist working alone, for technical/product advice. I came to realise that some of my questions could have been answered with a search, so I was one of those annoying ones, but everyone answered with great courtesy.

I now have colleagues, all of whom have great skills and experience, plus I now use search, so I have less need of asking for help.

I don't belong to facebook, so I suppose I DO use chit-chat for that to some extent! I feel I really have got to know some great people. Because we all share similar aspirations, work experiences and contact with the public, I think that even non-industry chit-chat is special to this site.

I avidly read the forums, using them to expand my knowledge, question and appraise my work practice, and contribute to business planning at work. I take my work seriously, and love it, but I stll have so much to learn.

I have a lot of respect for many of the geeks on here, and affection for a special few.

Going by a lot of my posts I come across as mostly a social Geek. However I do spend a lot of time reading/searching. 99% of my questions can be answered with a search.

I'm not experienced enough, and I don't use the most popular products to be able to answer questions related to them.

There have been times where I would find answers but I need some more explaining, but the thread wasn't recent and I don't want to bump it, but I don't want to start another thread and be told to search :)

Sorry if that doesn't make sense! I'm not 100% awake yet :)

I'm a helpful and sociable geek...

I always use Search although results don't always appear on mobile devices

I believe Chit Chat is Chit Chat, I see some of you are disliking it so either remove Chit Chat forum completely or let us Chit Chat in peace

I have seen and been on the receiving end of many bitchy comments, but stand by YOU cannot read tone in text.

I subscribe to Business, Nail & Skin though when you log on, instantly you see ALL forums, something may catch my eye in another forum and I'll comment
on a thread. I would prefer I only saw the ones I subscribed to, to avoid mis-posting or having to sift through everything.

I was raised in a freedom of speech environment sadly it's all too PC now.

Salon Geek may be for salon professionals but those who don't want Chit Chat, your salons must be very boring places to work. My boss and colleagues talk about everything under the sun when appropriate, I'd be quite bored if all my boss wanted to do on my lunch break was discuss mix ratios!

I have learnt a lot from here saved many threads to refer back to but more importantly made some good friends luckily that I've met in person.
I love your post to the point and yes life would be boring without different conversations xx

Don't get me wrong here geeks...I like the ChitChat forum, and post in there a lot, it is what makes this site into a Community, and for the more personal stuff (and the rants :rolleyes: ) there is the blogs!!!

It is all about balance, and we all know balancing isn't as easy as it sounds !!

Don't get me wrong here geeks...I like the ChitChat forum, and post in there a lot, it is what makes this site into a Community, and for the more personal stuff (and the rants :rolleyes: ) there is the blogs!!!

It is all about balance, and we all know balancing isn't as easy as it sounds !!

Ain't that the truth!

having been a member since this site was known by a couple of totally different names altogether ,
i have seen it grow and change from "just nails" to a totally all inclusive site with room for all sectors
i like to think i am a helpful geek, i dont post much these days but theres so many people now i dont feel like i did back in the day when there was only 25 of us ,

Hi All,

I joined SG last September and am still very much in the "learning Geek" Mode as far as products and treatments are concerned, However I have been on the planet a few years and often share advice in a more general manor. I use the search function sooooo much I swear it's going to self destruct one of these days, sooo please please please keep this bit.

I have just started lurking about in the blogs a bit more recently and comment here and there but not too involved. Have only "blogged" myself once or twice in the very early days, maybe I should do more :lol:

I couldn't be without SG and if I have a beauty/hair/business black spot I come here first.

I am very careful not to get too "emotionally involved" in the posts and try to keep out of the heated and more personal comments.

But in answer to your questions :

are you here for the community spirit and chat? -YES
are you here to ask for assistance with nail/beauty/hair problems - YES
are you here to impart your wisdom and experience to other nail techs - YES what little I may have at the moment
are you here to learn and grow in your industry- YES YES YES YES!!!

I would be totally lost without SG now.

:wink2:

Oh I stand corrected my profile says I joined in Jul 2010 !! DOH !!

Latest posts

Back