What level would you say you are with Nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where are you with Nails?

• I am 100% happy with my sets of nails

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • I am almost there, just a few problems with consistency

Votes: 133 55.4%
  • I trained on a short course with an unknown company but now know which direction I'm headed

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • I am not trained at all, I taught myself and am happy with my nails

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • My nails are terrible, it's upsetting me and I just don't know why

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 36 15.0%

• Total voters

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
There are many brilliant Nail Technicians on this site who are constantly striving to learn more, improve their nails - which to others look absolutely amazing - and there are other Technicians who are blithely ignorant of quality and think they are great because they can throw a set on in less than an hour.

The Technicians who don't seem happy and doubt themselves, are the best I have seen, yet I have seen poor Nail Technicians with appalling standards and they think they are absolutely brilliant. I am also not talking about hygiene standards - I mean the finished set of nails.

Is there anyone on here who is totally happy with their standard set of nails - I'm not talking about Nail Art at all - just a standard set, for example, Pink & Whites or Naturals. Is anybody happy and can rest assured that they are doing a fantastic job when they offer their customer a service?

Can anyone put their hand up and say, I've been training for years... I've spent alot of time, money and effort and now I am happy with how my nails are?

No way am I happy! I am 100% conscientious and my hygiene is perfect, my customer service and willing to please faultless, but nowhere near the level of quality I am striving to achieve in producing a set of nails!

Good thread!

Hia, Im DUE to train with a short course, but with a well known company! so i didnt no which to vote so i did 'other'

Im not happy with my nails as my acrylic is a bit lumpy, but cant wait till i am 100% happy!

nope not me
i qualified last spring and i still think i have a long way to go , sometimes i am happy with a set , but never completely
i always see little bumps ,or dips ,or one side isnt as level as the other , apex isnt high enough or isnt even there !!!
smiles are never neat enough , i could go on foever ,
but i dont just settle and leave it at that .nope , i want to learn and practice as much as i can ,
sometimes by the time i have finished a set i actually have brain ache ..because i dont ever just whack them on ..i look carefully and think about everything i do , from sanitising to solar oiling

but i like that about me ..i dont want to just settle ,for "there you go theres some acrylics i have shoved on , now pay me and off you pop, they will last 3 or 4 days ok " :green:
i feel pride when a client returns after 3 or 4 weeks and tells me they have never had nails stay on that long before ,and i can see there is no lifting etc..I LOVE IT !

I'm happy but will continue to train with any new products that I may decide to use. I like training:)

Guess which one I picked CadenceAlex? Janey x

Guess which one I picked CadenceAlex? Janey x

:green: Same as me... but I actuallly haven't voted yet so will go and vote now!! Don't forget, if you need to know what the day is like on the Conversion... you can PM xx

Good thread:hug:
I voted other as I feel my nails are average most of the time I never seem happy with my work but I will keep plodding on:lol:

I am surprised to see someone has voted 100% happy - I dont believe anyone who is conscientious in this industry should ever admit to being 100% happy and have nothing to improve on.

I think the poll is missing an option as none really suited what I felt - I agree with Judy, I am relatively happy with most things but far from all and I always have something to learn.

It was me Fi:lol:
I didn't fit into any other category so I picked the one closest.

I'm some where between number 2 and number 3,

I know what I want to achieve and am on my way there, but I know I need to put alot more effort into every aspect of my work.

I voted 2, because thats the closest to how I feel.

I am happy....but want to be happier...after that i want to be ecstatic and after that orgasmic ....

i look at some of my sets and think "wow did i just do those"...other times i think..." i could have done better on those"....

to be honest i don't want to get to the 100% happy...cos i wouldn't want to get complacent...is that the right word..?

To be honest I think my work is ok, and I am fairly confident. But no way am I 100% happy. There are points that I would love to perfect such as finishing and consistency of nail shapes. Also I have so much more to learn and that's the way I like it!

Although I do want to aim towards perfection, just got to keep on pushing myself!

I chose option 2 as its the nearest to how I feel, which is the same a Fi and Judy, I feel that with the training I have recieved I am doing ok, but just when I start feeling happy something knocks my confidence or I see a stunning set of nails and think "I wish I could be that good" so not 100% dont think I ever will be.

I'm the same as most I think. I voted number 2, and don't ever really want to reach number 1.

I may look at a set of my nails and decide they are the best I've ever done so far, but the day I'm 100% happy, is the day I stop striving to improve. And everything can always be improved on with new techniques, and new products.

I want to reach number 1.....then I can go further, maybe, one day.
I live in hope:lol:

I am quite happy with my nails, but definitely not 100%. There are always areas to improve on. I would like some tweaking with my finishing techniques, also with custom blending.

In fact when my clients think I have done a perfect set of nails, I always see small things that i could improve on, so maybe that is what makes a good nail technician, a bit of a perfectionist.

Anyway, I have been doing nails for 8 years or more and I can honestly say that it took me 5 years or more to be almost satisfied with my nails. I can remember entering the Novice Section of the Nailympics in 2005 and my was I nervous as my model had been to a NSS salon a week or so before (nearly killed her) and she had awfully damaged nailbeds and no matter how good a job I did on her nails, you could see the damage right through.

Never mind it was good to experience a competition and I will definitely enter another one. I think Nail Technicians constantly have to update their skills and go above their comfort zone. Must be the same for hairdressers who trained years ago, surely they have to keep on learning, otherwise they will be stuck in a time warp and not aware of new techniques etc.

I have a custom blend on myself and even though pretty close to my nailbed colour, I am still not 100 % happy with it, so will be having another go this weekend.

I think I will go on a custom blend class soon, because it is not as easy as it seems.

Will be interesting to see if anyone says they are 100% happy with their nails.

I will never be 100% happy, because if I am, then I lose my soul and become an evil vampire again...

Oh wait. That's Angel. *I* will never be 100% happy with my nails because there is ALWAYS room for improvement (and there is always somebody out there better than me who I can idolize. :D). Besides, I like education too much to not want to still be able to grow my skills. But I checked number two because I feel confident in the skills I have, there's just a few things that need tweaking.

i voted other

i have a nail treatments,nail art and nail enhancement qualification

i need to practice more in order to boost my confidence and speed, particularly when doing infills

but i do love nail art

I am currently dissatisfied with training received up to date, and am striving to change that.
While waiting for budget to permit me to further my education, I'm reading all thatI can get my hands on, checking out tutorials, etc...
Trying to do things differently than I was taught... it's hard.

While I think I'm good (only 'good', not great) in terms of nail art.. at least for basics.. I'm certainly no master and I don't even come close to Glors and a few others.

As far as my nails go.... getting better every day.
I'm not yet where I want to be, but I'm getting there.
I KNOW without a doubt that I'm better than many in my town (particularly since most are nss).
BUT.... on this site? YIKES:eek: I don't even come close to many of the techs here.
The skills that are apparent on this site wow me every time.

One day I'll get to where I want to be. I have no doubt. It's just a question of time.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back