What makes or breaks a treatment for you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, I apologize for your lousy experience. Please know 99.9% Estheticians are professional, well groomed, well spoken, and well trained.

Chere
Ego Hour, Inc

You just wouldnt believe some of these things happen. It s ridiculas smoking whilst at work i would never of dreamed of doing it when i did smoke. We never smoked in the house as its disgusting stale smell.
I have had some rubbish massages and treatments.It makes me mad i get really bad tension in my shoulders and i went for one massage and she asked me my problem areas which i replied my shoulders and she just probably efluraged over them twice more than anywhere else and that was it. Money well spent i think not!
I have been to a salon once and heard them speaking about me when i had come out of the treatment room. Was not happy but didnt say anything as i was very shy at the time. Would give them bloody hell now though.
Like you all say though i think it makes you a better therapist after these experiences as you know what not to do.

xx

I say keep them coming, its an excellent learning experience.

WOW
Im delighted to realise that I am not the only therapist who avoids salons etc now
I had a massage afew weeks back and I am still kicking myself that I didnt let her know she was brutal rusde and very unwelcoming,
I NEVER write therapist etc as my "occupation" on the consult...
A- feel im attempting to intimidate ( im not i just feel oh wow when i see therapist)
B - hate that they will ask what products ive worked with etc, I want to be a "client" thanking you
Also all my pals mock how fussy they think I am , here is why I am in dire need of a massage ,relaxing facial etc. I dislike the following amongst MANY more...
1,No music in the room (or asking WHAT music I like, whales screeching is NOT my idea of relaxing, plus Ive worked in spas so this isthe last noise I want to listen to while IM "enjoying" MY treatment
2,losing contact mid massage/ abrupt hand movements off my face/body,. I believe by lightly floating (seriously) the hands away from the body the flowing/fluidity is not broken, seriously the body can FEEL it even when its away, its the movement/pace etc , the dramoatic difference between flowy and "GET OUT OF MY ROOM NOW" movement
3 Excessive pressure on my temples - OWW, or excessive pressure on my sinuses(if i wanted a sinus release massage Id have informed you)
4 The repetitive effleurage, digging into my scalp that you supposedly call "indian head ", washing my hair as though Im being treated for nits is NEVER going to be relaxing, certainly not every two movements, i fell like just saying "here ill show you"
5 Knowing they are listening to the girls/other therapists outside laughing and laughing along to themselves - also HEARING them outside is a NO NO !
6 Being ignored by receptionists /therapists when I walk in/waiting area, a wee smile, or "hi" ...even smiley eyes rather than staring me up and down and judging me on my MY DAY OFF ATTIRE!!
7 Waiting around the till/lingering for a tip,- feck off
8 Hearing Managers inform the staff of their targets in the proximity of a client HELLO!!??????
9 Therapists telling me how theyre tired of massaging all day, been in since 8, in till 8, " long day im wrecked", eehhhh if anything I lie to clients and tell them my days are shorter than they are,so no sympathy or pretend sympathy is given to let them moan about their 10-5 "long day", 2 hour lunch breaks!!(!!)
10 Not being asked pressure of massage/temperature of room/checking towels are covring me . feet not poking out etc
11.Not knocking gently on the door when re entering the room IM getting NAKED in, ye gave me THREE SECONDS
12 Chatting to co workers at a nail bar side by side, IGNORING ME ME -hellooo the paying one...its as though im queing up in Pennys/Primark - even that grates on my nerves, thats another days work !
13 Therapists not knowing their products, not advisin me of whether I need more massage/facials what retail would benefit me
14.Not listening LISTENNG to me , "and what are ye wearing to the ball", 10mins later, "so whats the dress like" - eh still the same as 10 mins ago love
15. The long walk to the treatment room where they ignore me and smirk at co workers, yell that their lunch is straight after "me next treatment"- excuuuse me ????
16. Not asking me where on my body I love being massaged/where I dont like eg. Feet /abdomen/whats shade of tan I want/do i want my nails to be all hacked down as ONE nail is short??/When I said I like the front bits of my hair with length, i dnt mean to my ear....
17 Give me a mirror after all waxing on my face ta, not only do i want to see the job you just did ( so i can say "great" but sigh inside knowing ive to go home and do it myself afterall anyways) but i want to see did ye rub all of the aloe vera in or have i green residue under my nose??/ How red am i before heading into the Shop ???
18 I hate seeing the therapist coming in the door to work with me sitting there waiting on her, unless im super early (never happens!!), be 15mins early t set up, check room, put yer coat /bag away and catch up on the goss before , not on MY time!- i realise its unavoidable at certain times, ie lunches etc , But I hate them running out the door home while my nails are drying not even saying goodbye,so and so will check them for you in a few minutes and help you with your coat
19 Leaving me waiting while they loudly chat in the next room, then say "sorry for keeping ye", Dont bother we both kow yer not
20 Leaving to get just one more thing , oops and again and again ......grrrrrrrr, are you for real?????
So Im a moan?????????
Sorry Id hate to work for me !!
What annoys me the most is that i never complain, NEVER, just smile and tip!! and never return
Ive had two good treatments and tipped ad recommended lots!!
Phew i feel goooooood now lads!
Thanks
Hahahah

Last edited:
What really bugs me is therapists who are noisy during my facial or massage - by that I mean stomping around the couch, slamming the hot towel caddy, banging bottles down on the trolley, unscrewing bottle tops right next to my ear etc :twisted:
I can be having the very best treatment by the most welcoming therapist but it totally spoils it for me if the therapist is clanking about. It makes me jump and spoils the flow of the treatment. A simple thing really but makes so much difference IMHO :hug:

Please know 99.9% Estheticians are professional, well groomed, well spoken, and well trained.

No. Unfortunately, they're not.

Much has already been said that I can relate to. However, certain things that just really do it with me and I have found happens a lot.

1. Double dipping (wax) - then she wants to lean over and tweeze your yoni and grabs the flesh instead. Jeezus!

2. Sickness. Each time I've walked into a salon and I've seen someone snivelling I walk right out again. Bad, bad, bad!

This is one of the best threads I've read in ages!

I went into a salon the other day on a snoop really, when I walked in there was one girl sat at a nail station eating a pizza, the other had her back to me and could hardly be bothered to look at me. When I said I was interested in her nail extension offer in the window she barked at me that the 'price lists were on the bottom shelf over there love'! I'd love to sit in there for an hour and a half NOT

I think its our duty to "secret shop" and see what good things you see/receive and what bad things you see/receive, THEN do something about your practise.

For example:
I am very conscious of the fact that my treatments stipulate APPROX 55 mins and APPROX 25 mins.

Very rarely do I finish earlier than that BUT that is what approx means.

So, why do I feel pants if even though I have fulfilled everything in that time, I finish 2 minutes early?

I hate being cold during a treatment,I hate the therapist even remotely smelling of cigarettes,I hate it when you get what I call a bog standard facial massage routine(straight out of college routine)Therapists who touch their noses,eyes or hair after sanitising their hands just before they touch me:twisted:just makes me cringe.
Squeaky couches when being massaged,cutting the treatment times down,not doing the treatment thoroughly,when they talk about themselves constantly and when you say something showing no real interest.Not doing a thorough consultation.
Therapists or hairdressers who do lash tints or colour hair and dont carry out patch tests....
Dirty uniforms,looking unkempt and bad breath .

I had a lovely massage at the Sanctuary some years ago and it was lovely(pressure could've been firmer,that was my only negative point)but I had a lovely warm electric blanket to lay on,the room was warm and quiet,the therapist was clean and very professiona.

I couldnt have a treatment with a therapist who chewed gum. vile.

I couldnt have a treatment with a therapist who chewed gum. vile.

black bra under white blouse,chipped nail polish,fag breath,greasy hair and spots,chewing gum......what more could a paying client desire????LOL :D

The amount I have to remind my staff re-gum, I am not surprised.

Thankfully they don't have any oof the other vices you mention.

I really don't understand this whole "skimping on treatments" thing. Why do they do it? Are they so "chocka" (I cringe at that word) that they need to rush through thier treatments? I over run all the time with my clients (I book little 15 min catchups in the day) and the world doesnt end.

I am wary of rushing my clients in, as they buy more if I let them sit in reception for a few mins.

The amount I have to remind my staff re-gum, I am not surprised.

Thankfully they don't have any oof the other vices you mention.

I really don't understand this whole "skimping on treatments" thing. Why do they do it? Are they so "chocka" (I cringe at that word) that they need to rush through thier treatments? I over run all the time with my clients (I book little 15 min catchups in the day) and the world doesnt end.

I am wary of rushing my clients in, as they buy more if I let them sit in reception for a few mins.

It's a false economy Dawn.With my massage I always add 15 minutes on top,this allows time to undress,time to dress,the full 30 mins or 1 hour that is supposed to be allocated for the massage,a drink of water and a little extra for the odd client who takes forever to get off the couch let alone get dressed etc.

If you have a treatment straight after certain treatments which involve taking their clothes off and getting dressed and you book back to back with no time in between you are going to be rushing and this is where problems arise.

You will be left with disgruntled clients who feel they have been short changed and then not want to come back.I learnt this in my old salon and at first I thought it was madness booking 3/4 of an hour for a back massage and an hr and a 1/4 for a full body etc but it was a very good idea and one I have taken to my own salon.

If it keeps the client happy it will keep them coming and that's good business.:D

Your right. We also book an hour fifteen for an hours facial or massage. You cant expect people to leap off the bed and fling their clothes on quick. It also allows five mins for a consultation too.

Your right. We also book an hour fifteen for an hours facial or massage. You cant expect people to leap off the bed and fling their clothes on quick. It also allows five mins for a consultation too.
Totally agree,had a guy once that fell asleep after his massage,I knocked gently on the door after I had given him his massage and water,he grunted.....I went away....came back, listened at the door....snoring,thought ah!!!!!...gently tapped the door again,he grunted....five mins later still nothing.In the end I knocked the door,not hard,just enough to wake him a bit more.All in all he took 20 mins to come out of the treatment room,and my next lady was waiting in reception.But thankfully I was only about 5 mins late.

Now if I hadn't had that 15 mins to play with I would've been in trouble and I think this is where we see the therapists struggle because some salons dont allow that extra time and who gets the stick???the poor old therapist.

I have had therapists be rude or offhand to me in other salons. I found it quite shattering. (they had no idea who I was).

People do forget that the person at the desk waiting is not just a "lady" but a person with feeling too!

My worst treatment was a facial which was quite nice until the therapist popped out for a ciggy during...the thought of her stinking hands on my face made me feel sick. This totally put me off I would never return to a theapist who smells of smoke :-(

i allocate "appointment times" . i make it clear in my treatment list for clients to arrive early for a consultation. therefore the client is in control if they are early they can have all the time on treatments so if a client is late, i dont run over the time for my next client xxx

Latest posts

Back