What makes or breaks a treatment for you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florriedee

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked before but I have just done some industrial espionage and some research to see what other therapists do and I was rather disappointed. I had a 45 minute dermalogica facial which was lovely as a treatment but for a few things. The therapist kept closing my nose whilst applying the lotions and potions, she chewed gum (loudly) the entire way through and she looked like she hadn't brushed her hair for a while. Now whilst none of those things are a major crime - she wasn't picking her nose or anything - they didn't look good.

Now I am the first to admit I am a bit of a scruff bag a lot of the time but never when I am working! Essentially it was a lovely treatment, very relaxing (when I could breathe) and I wasn't too cold (which I was last time I had a facial) so it wouldn't (and won't) stop me going back there but I was wondering what would or has stopped you going back to a salon in the past, either before or after you became a therapist? Just so I can avoid doing the same things!

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Really interesting thread and im looking forward to seeing replied. I, Myself have never gone to beauty salons to get any treatments the most treatments ive had is hairdressing, nails, eyebrow tint and eyebrows waxed and this was all mobile therapist.

1. Ive had my hair coloured by a hairdresser who slapped the bleach on my head without using foils and it stung like hell and i never went back to her again.

2. The nails i had done by a nail technician and they looked like shovels and were just disgusting

3. When the girl come to tint my eyebrows she never asked me for a patch test and this put me off straight away and never went back.

The only treatment i thought was good was the eyebrow wax, other than that all the treatments ive had have been really bad. And now as a beauty therapist i see their mistakes and make sure i dont make the same.

Really interesting thread and im looking forward to seeing replied. I, Myself have never gone to beauty salons to get any treatments the most treatments ive had is hairdressing, nails, eyebrow tint and eyebrows waxed and this was all mobile therapist.

1. Ive had my hair coloured by a hairdresser who slapped the bleach on my head without using foils and it stung like hell and i never went back to her again.

2. The nails i had done by a nail technician and they looked like shovels and were just disgusting

3. When the girl come to tint my eyebrows she never asked me for a patch test and this put me off straight away and never went back.

The only treatment i thought was good was the eyebrow wax, other than that all the treatments ive had have been really bad. And now as a beauty therapist i see their mistakes and make sure i dont make the same.

Yes that was my excuse for going and having a facial this afternoon - so I could see what other people do! Lol! It had nothing to do with my feeling like I wanted a facial at all! Lol Lx

I recently had a pedicure at a local salon, and hated it!
The pedicure chair was shoved in the corner of a corridor that clients were walking through to go and have a ciggy at the back.
The front of the salon was a hairdressers, so every time the door opened you got the noise of hairdryers and loud talking.
The girl was lovely, but talked constantly about her kids.
The girl got me to put my feet either side of the soak bowl, but had nothing on the floor so my clean feet were on the minging floor!
Worst of all, she asked me what sort of colours i liked, then brought me 3 choices! Now, I like to look at all the polishes in a nice rack and choose!

(ok, now I sound like a mad, neurotic woman, I know):green:

I wouldnt mind if I had paid very low price, but I hadnt! I cerainly will not be returning!

The worst treatment I have ever had was a facial. The therapist stunk of cigarettes and yes, blocked my nose from breathing and my facial massage consisted of only effleurage. I was left on my own whilst I was under steam (presuming she had gone for another ciggy) I had a 2 min mask and she couldn't get me out the door quick enough. An hours treatment that was cut by 15 mins.
I'm not backwards in coming forwards (as most of you know) and told her 'sorry if this sounds rude but I am a therapist and that was absolutely diabolicle' her chin nearly hit the floor lol
xxx

The worst treatment I have ever had was a facial. The therapist stunk of cigarettes and yes, blocked my nose from breathing and my facial massage consisted of only effleurage. I was left on my own whilst I was under steam (presuming she had gone for another ciggy) I had a 2 min mask and she couldn't get me out the door quick enough. An hours treatment that was cut by 15 mins.
I'm not backwards in coming forwards (as most of you know) and told her 'sorry if this sounds rude but I am a therapist and that was absolutely diabolicle' her chin nearly hit the floor lol
xxx

good for you!
i bet she was gobsmacked!

I hate it when i go to a salon where they seem to have too many staff with not enough to do. I end up feeling paranoid that they are whispering! my worst salon experience was when i went for a manicure and the girl could not stop talking about her boyfriend and she became so comfortable that she started talking about their sex life!! The worst part was that she mentioned his mum and i realised she had been talking about my uncle!!!! :eek:
I nearly died! Now i am very wary of listening to my clients and letting them lead the conversation x

good for you!

I hate it when i go to a salon where they seem to have too many staff with not enough to do. I end up feeling paranoid that they are whispering! my worst salon experience was when i went for a manicure and the girl could not stop talking about her boyfriend and she became so comfortable that she started talking about their sex life!! The worst part was that she mentioned his mum and i realised she had been talking about my uncle!!!! :eek:
I nearly died! Now i am very wary of listening to my clients and letting them lead the conversation x

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry thats really funny :smack:

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry thats really funny :smack:

it was so bad!!! she didnt seem fazed at all though when i said ! I now cant keep a straight face when ever i am around him! Needless to say they are not together anymore! x

therapists that make u feel intimadated and look down there nose at you, like I am beautiful and you are inferior!!!!!!
I went to a salon once for a facial and they were hid behind a wall whispering, when i walked in i got a snotty receptionist and i felt like i didnt belong so i walked out

therapists that make u feel intimadated and look down there nose at you, like I am beautiful and you are inferior!!!!!!
I went to a salon once for a facial and they were hid behind a wall whispering, when i walked in i got a snotty receptionist and i felt like i didnt belong so i walked out

Too right!! I would have done the same. If I'm not greeted within the first few mins, i'm off out the door. It drives my partner mad.
There's nothing worse than snotty receptionists either! xxx

good for you!

OMG :eek: That's awful! Maybe she would suit hairdressing instead :lol:
Did you ever tell your uncle? Sorry but I cant help but laugh! xxx

I once had a full body massage and after i was done the therapist started to mop the room floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: I was still lying on the couch!!!

I once had a full body massage and after i was done the therapist started to mop the room floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol maybe she had run out of couch roll and wanted to make sure the floor was clean for you to stand on :lol: Seriously though...how dangerous! x

People are bizarre aren't they! And the one with the Uncle! The mere idea of my Uncle having sex makes me feel physically sick so I can't imagine how you felt, especially as she didn't shut up! Yuck! Lol

Just imagine though with the standard of some of these places, geeks on their worst days would be better! Lol Lx

I am PMSL some of these are so funny!!!

My worst ever treatment was a facial from a mobile therapist. It was supposed to be a Dermalogica facial, but she didn't bring any options for different skin types - one fits all - and they were only retail products, not professional! No face map either. Obviously she was not dermalogica trained.

Then when i had the facial, she had a rolled up towel as a pillow in a straight line, so the top of my head rested on it. OMG within about 10 mins my head was absolutey killing me, it was so hard and uncomfortable.

I was quite shy/ embarrassed about complaining at that time, but believe me i would not stand for it now. I gave the name of the company to Dermalogica as well so they could look into it.

i did tell my uncle :) when he told us that he had dumped her because they just werent getting on, i said "oh thank god!!!" then the whole story came out luckily hes not easily embarressed and just replied with "well atleast she'll remember me" yuk!!!!

thankfully i dont see him very often :) accept in my nightmares anyway !!!! lol
xx

i did tell my uncle :) when he told us that he had dumped her because they just werent getting on, i said "oh thank god!!!" then the whole story came out luckily hes not easily embarressed and just replied with "well atleast she'll remember me" yuk!!!!

thankfully i dont see him very often :) accept in my nightmares anyway !!!! lol
xx
tee hee hee!
Sorry, but this is such a funny story! :lol:

I am always having treatments around my local area, you have to check out the competition and also pamper yourself!!

When I get a new client, I always secretly imagine that they are a rival therapist and this keeps me on my toes.

I am sure that I have done things myself that have not been to the clients liking so observe their body language.

Ive had the whole range of experiences and to be frank, I generally come away from my treatments feeling secretly smug. Saying that, I've also "borrowed" a few techniques that I have liked.

I hate therapists that:

* smell of cigarettes
* talk incessantly
* cut corner
* act as if they are going through the motions
* keep on looking at the clock
* answer their mobile
* chew gum
* walk away from the treatment area
* are not fully prepared

hi guys,

i had a massage years ago with a young therapist the room was freezing and i had just a bath towel. i asked her if she could turn the heater on and she said she wasnt allowed as she was only there for my treatment.

she spent the whole massage moaning how unhappy she was a work, then i realised i had helped interview her the week before. she practically begged me to get me a job at my salon.

what a nightmare

xx

crikey where do i start!. I had a experience only 2 weeks ago. I had purchased a back massage for my mum as a gift and i went along also to have one. The salon was stunning and the receptionists very professional. untill my thereapist came to collect me. with face like a slapped behind,really rude. well to cut a long story short. i was in and out from my "30 min" massage in 20 mins and that was getting undressed and dressed again. so approx only 15 mins treatment time. i was furious. no aftercare advice ie to drink water etc, which my mum got from her therapist and i was sat waiting for my mum for a extra 10 mins. when i returned to reception after getting dressed my therapist was sat talking to what looked like a friend then proceded to show her into the treatment room (still in my so called treatment time) but not before snarling "that will be £30 to myself at the reception area . i felt like i had been robbed!! i never mind paying for a treatment if i get my monies worth. I was just mad for not mentioning or saying something. i seem to really struggle to find a professional salon where they are not going through the paces, if im booked in for 1 hour facial i want that, not 45 mins and that includes getting dressed. i have never had a full treatment where i get the full treatment time it drives me mad.

Latest posts

Back