What makes or breaks a treatment for you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my treatments are 25 or 55 minutes, that gives me time to turn around for the next client.

Hi

thought i would add a positive experience to the list!

I had a fab Molton Brown facial in a hotel spa.

• The room was immaculate, warm and beautifully lit.
  • She was quiet and let me relax.
  • The product application and massage were fabulous and not rushed.
  • The hand and foot massage during the mask felt great.
  • I had a (dry) swimsuit on as i'd been in the spa and was covered by a towel and then a duvet which was so cosy.
  • She really listened to me during consultation and then "patchworked" the products to suit each area of concern which i love as my neck, T zone and cheeks all have different needs. My skin looked and felt great afterwards.
  • She recommended products but didn't do a hard sell at the end
BB

Some of your experiences are really funny. My worst treatment was a girl who was smoking when she came into the room, asked me to lie on the bed which had no couch roll, towel or anything, I had to place my head in the face hole. She then proceeds to carry out an eyebrow wax, when I told her I was a therapist she asked me how much I was earning at the hotel I worked at and when she had finished she told me my eyebrows looked weird. I was gobsmacked.

Some of your experiences are really funny. My worst treatment was a girl who was smoking when she came into the room, asked me to lie on the bed which had no couch roll, towel or anything, I had to place my head in the face hole. She then proceeds to carry out an eyebrow wax, when I told her I was a therapist she asked me how much I was earning at the hotel I worked at and when she had finished she told me my eyebrows looked weird. I was gobsmacked.
I'm not surprised! Where was this? That is the most amazing one I've heard!

I went to a spa on friday night for a treat and had a mini-facial and back and shoulder massage and the therapist talked the entire way through it! And the Massage really hurt and when I asked her to do it a bit more gently she said that it was supposed to hurt. I have had many massages before and let me assure you not one of them has hurt like that! I think I have bruises lol! She also oiled all my eyelash extensions off despite my having asked her to avoid my eye area as I had extentions on. Not happy!

On a different note we went to a salon in Basingstoke for Pedicures (as the Spa had no more appointments) and I had a lovely pedicure! Really nice products, lovely smells, lovely colour choice and lovely massage. All in all probably the best pedicure I have ever had. I love a good treatment.

Lx

I once went on a pamper day before I was beauty trained with my Mum and best friend..the treatments were ok but one of the therapists was really rude and refused to adapt my friend's pedicure (she doesn't like having her feet massaged and the girl insisted she couldn't change anything). The therapist who did my mum's pedicure used a blade and sliced the hard skin off until it BLED! Never went back there!

Hmmm. Where do I start?

When I go to a salon, I go to get away, and get pampered. Then, it ends up me thinking about how many people are in this industry that aren't trained to listen to their customer and carry out proper human etiquette.

I love asking for a one length haircut and watching them lift up pieces and cut.

I love it when I say, "please no texturising or thinning shears, my fine hair can't take it". Out comes the thinning shears at the end.

I love it when they walk away all of a sudden in the middle of what they are doing to make a phone call, see who is coming in after, have a cigarette, chit chat with a co-worker. Then try to remember what they were doing before they walked away. Had this done to me also during a facial.

I love it when going in for a massage, after telling the therapist I haven't had one in two years and am looking forward to it being relaxing, only to have to try to stay awake because they are talking to me constantly.

I love it when I tell the stylist for products, I only use a light mousse once in a while, I don't use products because my hair gets oily quickly and they weigh my hair down, only for her to put multiple products in my hair, including a styling wax, spray shine, gel, hairspray. Then to pile up these products in my face as I am checking out. Hmmmm.

My all time favorite... in the middle of a conversation with me, shouting across the salon to chit chat with a co-worker.

Let's not forget the cell phone calls, non-stop. Isn't that what voicemail is for? What about a vibrate button? Mind you, these haven't ever been emergency calls.

Maybe I am too particular in how I work. Maybe I expect too much?

I went to a local spa for a dermologica facial and when I booked it also requested the free 15 min face mapping.

When I arrived I told the therapist that I was really looking forward to the facemapping, and she looked at me funny.

She started the treatment and and I asked about the facemapping, she tutted and pointed at my spots and my blackheads and said "thats your spots and thats your blackheads" (no **** sherlock).
She was dead nasally throughout the treatment, and the mask brushes were a bit crunchy and hurt a bit.

I asked a third time for the facemapping where she pointed at the spots and blackheads and repeated in a very bored voice what she had said before.

At reception the boss said I looked very relaxed, so I told her that no I wasn't bloody relaxed I was infact annoyed.

She apologised and said that the facemapping hadn't actually been booked in, I think I got 10% off as an apology and a promise that next time I went in I would get a senior therapist.

this thread is both hilarious and shocking.....

a couple of weeks ago i decided to pop into a hairdressers that offered gel nails, just to repair one nail. As i entered the hairdressers were immaculate, hair and makeup done to the nine's i was impressed however the beauty or nail therapist proceeded to show me to a table in the corner front window, it was dusty and dirty, with a nail file and uv lamp placed on the top, she put my arms straight on the table top and then took the nail file that looked like a cow had chewed and spat out and buffed my nail (no sanitisation) it hurt and i told her it was too coarse she told me that was the smoothest one she had. She then brought out from under the table somewhere a green plastic pusher, like something that comes out of a christmas cracker, seriously i have never seen anything like it.... it was then that i got up and told her i changed my mind, i was furious inside as this wasnt even a NSS salon, but more so i was furious at myself for not speaking up and even letting her get that far, when i got home i santised my hands.

A year ago i was due for a lip wax week before xmas, my appointment was for 9am, i waited in the cold snow for the owner to pitch up, she came half and hour later, when we got into her room the heating had not even been put on, she then did my wax and ripped a bit of my skin off. Now this woman works next door to me and has been in business for 20 years here, how do they do it????

I went to another salon a few months ago, walked in and nobody was around, shouted hello, no response, stood around for 5 minutes and nobody around now if I was bad i could have helped myself to most of the merchandise that was on the table

Now you all know why I posted the thread about teaching youngsters a code of behaviour/conduct in salon!!!
These posts are very funny, but shaming for our industry as a whole. Its also why us salon owners nag so much.
I too had the facial from hell in a hotel spa. She applied the cleanser so sloppily it went in my eye. it stung so bad I had to stop the facial and flush my eye which was red and streaming. She then applied a mask that burnt. I came out with a red face and a blodshot eye to match. Great "beauty" treatment!!

After reading all these, I am so glad I go to a salon where they are all friendly and the choice of treatments is really good, they arent pushy with retail either, after some of these horror stories I wont be fanciying a change somewhere else lol!

I would have to say a therapist smelling of smoke is my 1 bug bear and thats not from an anti smoker I am prone to a couple myself on a weekend with a glass of wine!

I have this thing about getting my eyebrows waxed and I am sure it has something to do with my first eyebrow waxing experience.
I went into the salon to have them done for the first time thinking that it was the best thing to do as I had never touched them....not even with tweezers.

Anyway, I layed on the bed and in an instant it was all over and done with, I thought "ahhh! that was't so bad" until I sat up and looked at them in the mirror.
I almost died, she had completely waxed off my left eyebrow.
The therapist knew what she had done and just repplied "don't worry about it we can cosmetically tattoo it on for you".
Are you serious!!!!! if she managed to wax an entire eyebrow off how accurate is she with a tattoo pen?
I refused to have my eyebrow tattooed back on and chose to grow it back and in the meantime used eyeshadow to create an eyebrow.
One thing that amazed me with this particular therapist is I went to her because she has been in the industry for 30years and had been a beauty college teacher so I thought she had more than enough experience.
I now and have since done my own eyebrows and if I make a mistake I only have myself to blame, and absolutely refuse to have anyone go near them.

But going back to the original post, I am pretty much in agreement with everyone here.
Breakers for me are:
Being left alone in a room during a treatment.
Gum chewing.
Cigarette smell but also to much perfume
Conversation topics that are inappropriate

One major thing that buggs me is when a therapist has been made to come to work when she has a cold because the boss just can't give her the time off to recover, due to loss of income for that ONE day (I have worked for a boss like this many years ago) They just don't seem to understand that a sick employee is unhygienic, unprofessional and can do more damage than good to their business. (Most of the time these employers don't come from the beauty industry). I would rather have my appointment re-schedualled than have the poor therapist making herself worse by exhausting herself and not to mention make everyone she comes into contact with sick also.:eek:
Anyway I don't want to get to off topic but I think you understand what I'm getting at.

This thread has been a great read and it is awful to find out that there are so many therapists out there that have become very unprofessional because they have lost their passion.

I've had a couple of nail techs who 'Prep' by trying to file the life out of my natural nails, until I stopped them. :cry:

The worst, though, was a hairdresser who decided she needed to pop out to do a bit of shopping whilst my colour was taking. Believe it or not, she never came back!! Eventually, when I started to worry about my hair and the time it was taking, someone else reluctantly rinsed it out. :rolleyes:

And I thought I was the only one who got bad treatments!

I live near a Warners Hotel, with what is meant to be a fantastic salon/spa in it, so I booked to have an aromatherapy massage, full body, 1 hour, £55 with a senior therapist.

what I actually got was base oil, no aromatherapy oils, full body - just, 35 minutes, junior (untrained in aromatherapy) therapist - £55.

I stood my ground about the cost, and that I hadn't got what I paid for, and when they started to argue the toss, I had to pull the 'you do realise I'm a beauty editor don't you?' card. I've never had to say that before, and never had to since.

They really didn't understand that you book the treatment you want to receive. You don't book a slot, and then get whatever they fancy giving you.

Interestingly, they did give me a refund :lol: but I don't think i'd have got one otherwise, they did not care a jot about customer service or customer relations.

Last edited:
The good thing about having bad treatments by other salons its it makes you up your game with your own services. E.g When i first started in the beauty industry i had some real bad training by a so called beauty school, the woman who taught me showed a big lack of interest in training me, when i was doing something wrong she never corrected me, the whole experience was shabby. So 2 years down the line im doing PTLLS course and will be opening my own beauty school in 2010 as i know ill do a better job than what she ever did!

I guess a bug-bear for me is not being listened to & not getting what I've booked.

A few years ago I went for a 'proper' aromatherapy back massage at a salon 30 mins away from where I live.

She hardly asked me any questions so I told her that I had lots of muscular aches & pains across my shoulders, liked rosemary & had to drive home straight away afterwards.

I'm not an aromatherapist but do have a bit of understanding of oils. I thought she may have come back with a blend with rosemary in it - good for the muscles, I like it & it wouldn't make me drowsy.

Anyway, she came back with a blend that wasn't suitable at all for my needs. I can't remember the exact blend but it had jasmine in it (which I really don't like!) plus something else relaxing, which wasn't what I wanted given the drive home afterwards.

Oh & to top it off, the massage was sooooo firm I thought she was going to push me through the couch. Now I like a firm massage but this was ridiculous - I was sore for days afterwards & had bruises!!!

Another massage I had years ago - the therapist didn't do a proper consultation & didn't ask me what smells I like or don't like. She went ahead & mixed up something with ylang ylang in it. Now that smell really does really make me want to vomit so I did tell her to mix something else up.

A lot of other comments posted seem to be they get therapists who don't shut up during a relaxing treatment. I seem to get the opposite & even if I've booked in for a 'chatty' treatment I get a therapist who can't be bothered to even ask me "where am I going on holiday" or "what am I doing at the weekend?"

Being ignored when I walk in and being kept waiting are my pet hates but probably get disappointed when I have booked in a for a treatment I love doing and then receiving shoddiness as in
  • cutting corners,
  • leaving me too long while I get changed and then expecting me to jump off the bed the minute the treatment is finished,
  • left alone while my mask is on,
  • no skin assessment and what results I want from a treatment (how can I can be retailed on if I don't know why or what was used?)
  • Limp massages

I dont like soft tickly massages! I like to be beaten up!:)

The thing that winds me up in a salon is rudeness - at the place I get my brows threaded, god they are so rude. If they weren't so good and it was a treatment that took more than 5 minutes/cost more than £5 I really wouldn't bother.

The receptionist (the salon manager) just stares at you when you go in, then waves you over to some haphazardly placed chairs. Eventually a lass comes to get you and without saying a word plonks you on a chair and starts threading. Then at the end waves you towards the reception where the lass just goes "That's a fiver."

I know it's just a quick treatment and not one you can really chat during/about but jesus, a smile would be nice. The first time I went there I got a bikini wax done by the salon manager and it was really badly done, all while she was telling me how qualified you had to be for intimate waxing, and proceeded to say some really inappropriate things.

I've had a pedi done at Harvey Nicks and the lass was really not interested in what she was doing at all.

worst one i ever had by far was actually at a local salon to me. I had my eyelashes tinted. She popped the eyelash tint on and LEFT ME IN THE ROOM WITH THE TINT ON TO HAVE A CIGARETTE!! I could have been allergic or anything as i was not requested to have a patch test done. She came back in stinking of cigarettes whcih you could smell from a mile off. I was tempted to say "so did you enjoy your cigarette then?"

Next was my back massage which i'd booked in as a back massage not an aromatherapy back massage. There was no consultation so no questions were asked as to what oils i liked or even what i may need treated for. All the way throughout the massage i kept thinking she's just warming up it'll get better and it didn't. The pressure was a tickle and i didn't feel like i'd had a massage done at all.

When I came to pay for it I had a cheque wrote out for the exact amount and handed it over to be told i owed more. When I said no a back massage is.... and the eyelash tint is... which equals.... she said you had an aromatherapy back massage though to which I said thats not what I booked in and you did not do a consultation with me for an aromatherapy massage. I said the cheque was all i had and was not willing to pay anymore and stated i was a therapist myself who had her own business and i was pleased that they would be absolutely no competition to me whatsoever after experiencing their customer service and treatments.

Needless to say the girl was gobsmacked and accepted the cheque as it was

I am totally amazed at what goes on.... now I know I don't expect too much !

Latest posts

Back