What nails are you sporting today?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wildfire shellac with foils
ejy4a7uq.jpg

Sent from Sarah ;-)

My Friday night nails, absolutely loved them but my pedi ended up stealing the show lol. This is a multichromatic glitter polish from Brazil (Speciallita Hits Moonbow), one coat over black. I've not tried galaxy nails yet, but when I do this will make the perfect base.

tile-1.jpg

Look at the colour change!! <3

Last night I tried newspaper nails. There was a huge amount of trial and error, eventually I got them semi acceptable and I've learnt what to do next time. Important tip, don't do it over topcoat, it's too smooth for the ink to grab on to! Learned that the hard way.

Newsprint.jpg

Kind of punky in a Sex Pistols kind of way?

In the dead of night I was wide awake so got the sponge out to try something. I wanted to try sponging stripes and see if the image behind would be clear. A complete mess I know (and I managed to perfectly secure a cat hair into my middle nail!), but it does indeed work.
spongedstripes.jpg

I did my index first then stamped the next 2 to see if the sponge should be reloaded or not, clearly it should. 4 AM experimentation in all it's glory!

As usual, please excuse the flat L+P pinky, not my work.

I love these!!!!! How did you do the newspaper ones? I've heard of a few ways but yours look fab xx

Did these for someone this evening.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359070816.865594.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359070816.865594.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 387
Here's a pic of my nails done today by EA Anne Clarizo. One hand has tips and Brisa Lite building gel, the other Brisa Lite smoothing gel. The color is one of the soon to be released colors....sorry, I didn't get the name of it. Over the top, she used a stencil and Violet Shimmer additive to make the design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 414
I love these!!!!! How did you do the newspaper ones? I've heard of a few ways but yours look fab xx

Aw Thanks! xx In reality they were a bit of a disaster as I kept trialling and error-ing and having to add more coats of my base colour! The reason why mine look a bit more de-constructed is I did the image a few times after various problems, adding extra coats to try to cover up mistakes, etc. Tbh I feel like it just adds to the look.

After lots of play time, this is what I learned:

Before you do anything, cut out small squares of newspaper. It's a pain to have to cut them whilst you've got wet polish on, plus it will look nicer if you can find full chunks of text, so no end of paragraph spaces or different fonts. You can also print an image. Remember that the final result will be reversed so you can use some editing software to reverse it before you print if you like (wish my printer worked!). Google tube map nails, dying to try that myself! Don't cut the squares too much larger than you need, they'll be a pain to lay flat.

Do your base colour, do not top coat. You want it dry enough so that a bit of pressure wont smudge the polish, but not so dry that there's no texture for the ink to grab on to. Over shellac, I bet that inhibition layer would be super helpful here. The paper will be wet, so I'd imagine all that would stick would be the ink.

When you're ready to go, add a bit of alcohol to a small cup. I'll be honest, no one was there to witness me, I used vodka and poured a little bit into the lid - perfect size tbh :wink:. Dunk your newspaper into the alcohol so it's saturated and then press it to the nail. I have a very strong c curve, so found it a bit difficult to get the paper to lay flat. People say to hold a cotton pad on it, but I found that smeared the ink. I had the best result by sticking the soaked paper straight on my nail, applying gentle pressure all over and then peeling it off. Didn't take long for the ink to transfer at all.

hth. Now go get some tips out to have a play on :) xx

Two of my Shellac clients today...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359074237.644129.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359074237.644129.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 441
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359074271.200250.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359074271.200250.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 433
Set I did today x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359076278.223677.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359076278.223677.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 352
So I tried this today...shellac with minxlusion rose cut into strips with shellac top coat over the top...lets see if it lasts...

Love this idea! As long as u remove the sticky first, and top coat your color before you apply the Minx, it should last as long as your Shellac. Very pretty :)

Hot pop pink shellac on a client tonight, last 2 she had were busy with glitter so wanted plain, has anyone found they needed more than 2 coats of this pink? X

No, never had to give more than 2 coats: the first coat really thin, and the second is covering all. Maybe the bottle is not shaken enough?

Greetings,
Conny

Last edited:
Two of my Shellac clients today...

Both gorgeous as always :)

Do you do another colour coat over your foils before TC to make them look encased rather than crackled?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Some I did yesterday

9umy8yby.jpg

And my foils arrived so just had a quick play to see how they work
:)
amyty7y8.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

These are mine today. It's my wrong hand so possibly could be better but my nails are longer on this hand : )ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359117182.069697.jpg

I'm ill at the moment so not taking customers for a while so trying to use my time productively. Here's today's offerings. forgive the rubbish pictures I'm downstairs in the dark living room.

Attachments

• carving.jpg
    carving.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 317
  • striping.jpg
    striping.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 316
  • petals.jpg
    petals.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 321
Love this colour. Never heard of colour changing soak off gels?! What brand is it? X

It's not a soak off gel! It's called LCN (I'm in Canada). There is six colours available! Just look up "LCN Thermo Gels" on YouTube! You'll find videos with them actually changing!

these are gorgeous!

Thank you!

Love these. Mum does too. Do you mind if I use them as inspiration for her next set?
Thanks Vicki x

Absolutely!!! Have fun!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back