What system do clients want?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelDel

Reaction score
I have chosen to be trained in l&p and gel, and will then later train to do silk
i have been doing research around my local salons and they all offer silk but i have only found one that offers gel and one that offers l&p.

Is it because clients are asking for silk more or is it an easier system to apply?

a lot of salons in sheffield apply the silk slightly differently to the traditional way that is taught

they also probably use really fine silk material rather than the silk strips you would buy from a supplier

a small piece is wrapped around the nail and end of finger and then resin applied on nail plate and the excess silk is filed off

whereas with a silk strip from supplier you would cut a piece to match the nail plate and it is slighlty sticky backed so it can help stay in place when you place on nail and then resin is applied

I was only shown the difference very recently so dont have that much knowledge of sheffield silk but someone on here may be able to tell you more

I have only tried it this way a couple of times personally I found it tricky to apply it the sheffield way but its like everything untill you've applied it a number of times and got used to the differences and mastered a new application technique nobody is perfect

hth
nicola

Hi
Where I live (South West, Wiltshire) I don't know any salons that offer silk everyone does L&P. One place used to do gels but they dont anymore.
Hope that has helped :hug:
Gail
x

I have chosen to be trained in l&p and gel, and will then later train to do silk
i have been doing research around my local salons and they all offer silk but i have only found one that offers gel and one that offers l&p.

Is it because clients are asking for silk more or is it an easier system to apply?
Sheffield is one city in the UK that uniquely uses silk more than anyother area.

I know allot about Sheffied 'silk' as I've worked in that area for years with technicinas. :) The reason 'silk' nails got such a hold in the area is because years ago there was ONE technician who used it before anyone else did nails in the area and she litterally brainwashed ladies in that area to have 'silk' ... that it was better for nails than L&P .. the usual BS frankly, but it worked and 'silk' reigned supreem in Sheffield and women know it and ask for it.

The reason I say 'silk' in ''' is because what is used is not silk at all, but acetate skirt lining bought off the market. The lining is wrapped all around the figer and pulled tight and then resin is added until it has soaked the 'silk' covering the whole nail. The excess is then filed off around the whole nail and more resin and 'silk' added sometimes up to 4 layers!! The result is opaque .. and polish has to be worn to cover it. Not really what most modern women want these days is it.

You may have to 'convince' your clients of the benefits of gel and L&P but it is no longer completely unknown in Sheffield. Work towards using all systems well and fluently and you can please everyone.

WOW Ive NEVER heard anything like that before in my life!!!!
How on earth did she manage to reign supreme like that - I need some tips off her ( but not covered in skirt lining!!)
Thats the most amazing story ever!!!! :eek:
Wish I could talk the talk like that and get everyone in S Wales to come to me !!!!
Theres sssooo much more out there though so get on some training courses and offer something different - you'll be laughing when people get to know theres more to nails than skirt lining!!!!
You go girl!
Jayneym xxxxx

WOW Ive NEVER heard anything like that before in my life!!!!
How on earth did she manage to reign supreme like that - I need some tips off her ( but not covered in skirt lining!!)
Thats the most amazing story ever!!!! :eek:
Wish I could talk the talk like that and get everyone in S Wales to come to me !!!!
Theres sssooo much more out there though so get on some training courses and offer something different - you'll be laughing when people get to know theres more to nails than skirt lining!!!!
You go girl!
Jayneym xxxxx

She reigned supreme because we are talking 25 years ago and there was nothing else in that area. Like anything, the first to 'get in there' makes the biggest impact and sets the standard.

You all have the challenge of huge competition now but back then OUR challenge as nail techs was to convince women that they even needed this service ... no one had ever heard of it! Not an easy challenge to get women to commit to a regular service and a regular financial commitment when they had lived quite happily without nail enhancement for all of their lives.

Great days they were ... no tips, no coloured powders (not even white & pink), no opaque powders, no glitters or nail art ... women wanted nails to look completely natural ... they didn't want their friends to know they even had their nails done so recommendations were few and far between. We had sheer curtains in the salons so that people passing couldn't see who was inside :lol: TRUE.

WE charged 35.00 THEN for a full set so why technicians these days charge a penny less is beyond me. Many people doing nails as a hobby have spoiled our industry and reputation for professionalism with cheap prices and bad work. I digress ... sorry to hyjack the thread.

Well...I think its amazing that in that time the industry has changed so much! You know Gigi I think it would be really interesting to hear more about the history of the industry, Maybe you could start a blog? or write a book!

Sheffield is one city in the UK that uniquely uses silk more than anyother area.
I know allot about Sheffied 'silk' as I've worked in that area for years with technicinas. :) The reason 'silk' nails got such a hold in the area is because years ago there was ONE technician who used it before anyone else did nails in the area and she litterally brainwashed ladies in that area to have 'silk' ... that it was better for nails than L&P .. the usual BS frankly, but it worked and 'silk' reigned supreem in Sheffield and women know it and ask for it.
A-ha-ha! )))) I love the story!

The reason I say 'silk' in ''' is because what is used is not silk at all, but acetate skirt lining bought off the market.
The lining is wrapped all around the figer and pulled tight and then resin is added until it has soaked the 'silk' covering the whole nail. The excess is then filed off around the whole nail and more resin and 'silk' added sometimes up to 4 layers!! The result is opaque .. and polish has to be worn to cover it.
What an advanced technology! Wow.
Amazing... I mean, how can people be SO :eek: gullible.. in the middle of civilization and information.

A-ha-ha! )))) I love the story!

What an advanced technology! Wow.
Amazing... I mean, how can people be SO :eek: gullible.. in the middle of civilization and information.

Well it certainly is not advanced technology (nor are any wraps for that matter) but it worked and women were quite happy with it for a very long time (and some still are).

Women have been wrapping their nails in all sorts of things ever since the ancient Egyptians who used some sort of 'glue' and papyrus!! The Chinese had 'ways' of reinforcing nails centuries before that!!

We know about these things because we are in the business and make it our business to know ... other women consumers may have other more important things on their minds than nail technology and the technological advances therein ... their source of information is what their friends tell them. So make sure that YOU are theone they are talking about and not someone else. :hug:

Last edited:
I think we should all start chanting at Gigi.....''book book book book!'' :lol:
I would also like a Dear Gigi (agony nail aunt) book and also an '' Gigis a ha moments'' book (I was reading the thread about the lighter flicking tea-bag squeezer and it got me thinking!) :lol:

joking aside they would make good books!

Well it certainly is not advanced technology (nor are any wraps for that matter) but it worked and women were quite happy with it for a very long time (and some still are). :hug:
I was joking, of course. :)
I use this 'technology', although not on the whole nail, when there is a crack or a weak part that needs to be reinforced before the application. Except that I use real silk, of course ;) that is preferably bought from nail-suppliers.

Getting back to the posters original question, there are times when a client will ask for a specific product, but I find most of the time 1) they don't really know what they are talking about, 2) have been given false information about what NSS' have been putting on them and 3) they don't really care what product you use as long as the end result is what they want. JMO!!

In my part of the U.S. fiberglass/silk is taught in nail school more so than l/p. Not sure about gel since it is newer to the industry then when I was in school. I know for some schools their choice was because the odor from the l/p. Not sure about across the ocean but the reason we have had to charge less for a full set is to compete with the NSS (on every corner on every block) since they came in and undercut charges to draw people to them. I remember when fiberglass/silk nails first came out (early 80's), I told my nail tech to get the thick, heavy l/p off of me and I wanted the more natural looking nails that were new. It cost me $40 back then. I've been in the business for 10 years now and still don't charge that much and probably won't because of how the economy has gone down the tubes. Sometimes you have to be competitive to stay in the biz.

Getting back to the posters original question, there are times when a client will ask for a specific product, but I find most of the time 1) they don't really know what they are talking about, 2) have been given false information about what NSS' have been putting on them and 3) they don't really care what product you use as long as the end result is what they want. JMO!!

In my part of the U.S. fiberglass/silk is taught in nail school more so than l/p. Not sure about gel since it is newer to the industry then when I was in school. I know for some schools their choice was because the odor from the l/p. Not sure about across the ocean but the reason we have had to charge less for a full set is to compete with the NSS (on every corner on every block) since they came in and undercut charges to draw people to them. I remember when fiberglass/silk nails first came out (early 80's), I told my nail tech to get the thick, heavy l/p off of me and I wanted the more natural looking nails that were new. It cost me $40 back then. I've been in the business for 10 years now and still don't charge that much and probably won't because of how the economy has gone down the tubes. Sometimes you have to be competitive to stay in the biz.

You can be competitive without cutting prices.

I beat the competition because I'm better than they are and I provide an holistic nice experience for the clients along with it.

PopIts are also a perfect weapon for beating the competition as you can do a beautiful full set of nails in 30 minutes just like they can only without drills or cutting corners.

Cutting your prices is the worst way to compete especially when you are not actually doing the same thing as the competition! Daft. People who want cheap are not the people I want to attract to my business. Now if that IS what you want and you WANT, to put yourself under that kind of pressure, then by all means slash away at your bottom line.

I agree with you Gigi to some degree but it also depends on what your area (part of town/city) will pay. In the part of town I'm in they aren't going to pay $75 for a full set or $30 for a fill. Most of my clients are low middle to middle class, working women. And to be honest right now I'm just grateful for those who are still coming. I really need to raise my prices because my living/business expenses go up, but the way the economy is right now I'm not sure I can do that. It is a tough decision because I don't want to lose the clients I have.

I am definitely different than the NSS because I offer one on one personal service, and like you, I have a very relaxing home away from home atmosphere at my salon (not the usual nail salon look). Not to mention I'm clean and abide by disinfection procedures. Now some of the NSS places in the mall are setting their places up with a spa atmosphere. Not that I feel that I'm competing with them, but others want a quick walk in place and don't care about cleanliness or safety. That isn't what I'm about. Trying to convince people that those places are not there for their best interest is constant topic, but they don't listen.

I appreciate the advice and thank you! :)

In answer to "what system do client's want"... well, I have two replies:
1- they don't know what system because they don't know enough to tell one from another nor do they know what would suit them best
2- they want the system that will deliver satisfaction.

Having said that, despite my living in a province where Tip-n-dip is all the rage in salons, and L&P is the only thing offered by the NSS; I still manage success with UV Gel.

In truth, clients want a good service and a system that will give them the look that they want and the strength in their enhancement that meets the challenges of their lifestyle. It is not a one-size fits all.
Hence why I now offer 3 different systems, and hopefully by 2011; FOUR (adding wraps to the list).
THAT is what they want. SATISFACTION. Most don't know the difference between A & B & C... AND those that think they do have likely been mislead. There are very few that truly know one system from another.

On another note:
I live in a blue collar town, rampant with NSS.

When I first started out in this town, I undercut the NSS to get people's attention. BIG MISTAKE (because now... I can't raise my prices too quickly to what they should be, or else freak the regular clients).
But 5 years later, after having built a name for myself and a solid reputation; I now charge more than the NSS and I still have newbies show up regularly. The hours that I recently added to my schedule (now that both children are in school full time since this september) are filling up slowly but surely with regulars.

My full set is 10$ more than that at the NSS, as are my refills and rebalances. All my services are more expensive than the NSS.
AND I take twice as long as the NSS (my 1.5-2hrs vs their 30-60min) including art.
When I get around to adding L&P to the menu, you can bet that it will be priced appropriately and higher than my UV Gel (with a special introductory offer of course...) and although clients are WELL aware of this fact, I have SEVERAL that are frothing at the mouth waiting for me to master L&P and offer them hollywoods & rockstars & fades & 3D's, etc....
They are more than willing to pay the higher price.

WHY?????????
QUALITY

One word. That's it.
Once word gets out that you offer quality, YOU WILL get the clients, no matter the system and no matter that you charge more than NSS.
Believe in yourself and don't sell yourself short. Don't sell your services short either!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally want to make more than the burger-flipper at McDonalds. I am far more educated and far more skilled than he/she is.

My only regret? Not listening to Gigi in the first place when I first read one of her posts about selling myself short.
Hindsight is such a useless trait.
I don't dare compare myself to her skills and talents, and there are several other techs here that blow me out of the water.
BUT, I know I'm the best locally. And so do my clients. That's why they keep coming back. That's why they keep referring.

Give your client's QUALITY and they'll come back every time.
Irregardless of the system, and irregardless of the prices.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back