What system is this, only had my nails done for new year and they look fab

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When did my course for "allround nailtech" I was trained in l&p that hardened under an uv lamp they called it "uv acrylic" and the brand was nailcreation I don't know if they still sell this though:rolleyes:

forgot to say that ypu use "uv acrylic" just like normal l&p only difference is that you need an uvlamp

I just had a look at nailcreation website and I don't think they still sell it as I can't find it on the site,it was 7 years ago when I did my training

TBH it is only on this actual site that the term L&P gets used all the time.
Yes we all know that they are all acrylates and liquid and powder is a better and more accurate description of the system....but, trust me, it isn't catching on out there in the big bad world outside of Geekdom, so let's not get so het up about it!!!

I dont want to comment on the actual topic of this thread because having not seen the nails I dont want to offer any speculation about the quality of the nails or the salon.

However, I just wanted to completely relate to Izzidolls comments above. I think its appropriate on this site to refer to l&p rather than acrylic, and that a trained tech ought to know what l&p is as opposed to other terminology, but in the salon I think its perfectly acceptable to refer to acrylic & gel. If I advertised liquid & powder enhancements, no one would know what I was talking about, and you can either set yourself up on a mission to educate the world about nails, or you can set yourself up to advertise a product that the public can identify with and will want because they know what you are on about! I actually wish that Creative would re-word their certificates, because I have certificates hanging on my wall that say "liquid and powder foundation" and liquid and powder skill building", and I cant tell you how many customers I've had that have asked me to do their make-up because they think I've trained in, well, just that - liquid and powder foundation!!!!

Well Jenny, I feel a tad sorry that you started the thread on such a happy note and if nothing else you know a thing or two more about the nail industry.
It may or may not be MMA...who knows?
It was L&P or ACRYLIC as it is generally referred to... as you now know and gel is a different method.
Most clients have NO IDEA of the difference and really don't understand that gel and L&P both are a form of acrylic.
You went in as a client with no idea of what to expect and you have learnt a few things about nails in the process I guess?
Carls spot on in his answer in the lamp idea btw x

Just a very short comment. Why does using electric files on natural nails mean nns? I believe young nails teaches to use on natural nails, and I have seen damage done with a file by hand also, and actually more often. As somebody mentioned it's the tech not the tool.

Please put your mind at rest about MMA - I don't think this was used for one specific reason: they did not 'rough up' your natural nail. According to everything I have ever read about MMA it does not naturally adhere to the nail and the only way to get it to is to excessively file the nail plate to provide a 'key' for it to grip to.

Also, I had a couple of my nails done by Greg Salo of Young Nails and he DID use an electric file on my natural nail with no damage caused. If it is not safe to use under any circumstances on the natural nail then I really don't think that someone of his high profile in the industry would be promoting it. In his words "its the fools, not the tools" who cause damage. I had some terrible damage caused to my own nails with a hand file while being a model at college. This is an argument that has gone on for a long time on this forum and everyone has their own personal opinion. If you feel that no damage was done and you are happy with it then I don't see why you should be worried.

Just a very short comment. Why does using electric files on natural nails mean nns? I believe young nails teaches to use on natural nails, and I have seen damage done with a file by hand also, and actually more often. As somebody mentioned it's the tech not the tool.

IMHO mate it just seems NSS way of working but why is there a NEED to use an efile on the natural nail??
Exactly...it's the tech...not the tool or the product.
It's not rocket science.....be gentle on the natural nail......that's one of the FIRST AND FOREMOST things a tech should learn.

I'm not being argumentative, honest, although it might seem like it to some... but... if the tech in question was using the correct ratio for their product then there wouldn't really be any need to hold the brush under a lamp would there?
If it's a salon (as opposed to mobile) then they should have an ambient temperature for the comfort of their clients so the product shouldn't need an extra boost of heat for polymerisation.

I'm not being argumentative, honest, although it might seem like it to some... but... if the tech in question was using the correct ratio for their product then there wouldn't really be any need to hold the brush under a lamp would there?
If it's a salon (as opposed to mobile) then they should have an ambient temperature for the comfort of their clients so the product shouldn't need an extra boost of heat for polymerisation.

Yes....but I know some techs do this mate tbh x
Wet Ratio etc.:)
No never me before anyone says anything :lol:

Well Jenny, I feel a tad sorry that you started the thread on such a happy note and if nothing else you know a thing or two more about the nail industry.
It may or may not be MMA...who knows?
It was L&P or ACRYLIC as it is generally referred to... as you now know and gel is a different method.
Most clients have NO IDEA of the difference and really don't understand that gel and L&P both are a form of acrylic.
You went in as a client with no idea of what to expect and you have learnt a few things about nails in the process I guess?
Carls spot on in his answer in the lamp idea btw x
tbh hun i had no idea that l & p was acrylic, I did my nvq 8 years ago and we covered all three systems gel, silk and acrylic. Acrylic was never reffered to as l & p only acrylic. Yes acrylic is a liquid and powder mix, but i never use this term if i am honest and the way it is discussed on here it makes l & p sound like a different product ( ok call me mad but it does)
I would never say to a client would u like l & p nails i would say i do acrylic nails because in my mind that is what i do not l & p.
I no what gel looks like, i know a uv lamp is required. The fact this is a vietmanese salon made me um ah what they doin is this gel that not quite right, uh uv lamp may be it is but from their country. Because of the quality of the nails, the quality of their prep, the skill of using one bead to perfection, the extreme amount of clients that want there nails done their i am sorry guys but i would not have questioned their abilities or what they were doin, because my mouth was open with how impressed i was with the whole set up.
I no they did not do a consultation, i no now it was acrylic with a gel overlay, which i have to say i love.
I have learnt so much from starting this thread so i thank u all. I also no if i could learn their skill i would be one happy bunny. tbh i think we have allot to learn from these guys because there wor is fab and i soooo luv my pressie from my hubby but still concerned now about mma. I will ask what they use when i go in three weeks, because for once my nail bitten man looin hands look femine, and yes i have put my own sets on, but not the same when u are still perfecting your sills on others and then try and do them on your self. I want nice nails like my clients do and i thin i have found a lovely place to get them done, just fingers crossed they have not used mma

ps so can i use gel over creative acrylic or l & p to give my clients the finish i have, and should i use brisa or can u not use the gel over lay with this system ( come guys u got me hookked again so want to learn more about this whole subject now )

Last edited:
there is a product called AcryGel which is pot of gel and a pot of powder and the two ar mixed together then cured. Suppose at a glance it may look like L&P, but its british so the labels would be clear.

Its pretty good stuff though! :)

You Live..You Learn hun xx
We have ALL been put in uncomfortable situations in the industry but if you don't know then it's not a problem. xxx

The only things that concern me is that Jenny was sold something other than what she asked for...she has no idea whats on her nails as there where no labels on anything AND there was no client consultation....IMO these are important regardless of how pretty the nails are.....should we be be saying that these things don't matter and glad your happy with your nails....??....would we be saying that if this was a new member or a untrained person...?? (in fact i know we don't cos i have read threads about the same thing in the past)

If this was me saying that i don't inform clients what i am using...use L&P when the client asked for gel and never did a consultation would that be ok...??

Thinking outside the box is cool...but do it with professionalism

I am not concerned as to what nationality the staff are....or their application techniques.

Last edited:
Jenny, you can use a gel topcoat with Creative L+P. However, I think you get a longer lasting shine with just buffing them by using gradually finer grits and finishing off with either the CND glossing buffer or Ezflow Miracle shine and the Snowmonkey.

I think it unlikely that MMA was used, as often these nails are thick and ugly, wth the nailplate having been destroyed to get them to adhere. Often the white is arbrushed on too. None of this sounds like your nails, so although you don't know what was used, it is unlikely it was MMA.

I'm glad you still love your nails, as they sound fabulous. xx

I'm wondering if by putting the bead under the lamp for a bit he was helping to evaporate excess monomer
(that would indicate incorrect ratio of liquid to powder) and/or trying to speed up the polymerisation time of the bead?!?

Not criticising the enhancements you've had applied (can't because we haven't seen them and neither should we!) although we don't have to agree that the working practice was as it should be in a 'standard salon' or 'high end salon', just trying to help get to the bottom of what you had applied, and I believe (like many others) that it was L+P.

It actually indicates good consistent ratio..... every bead the same, but sometimes when you really want an aplication to stay put (you can apply heat to this application), it's exactly the same ratio, but it won't move on the nail much .... some techs want this for sides/missing sidewalls (or even the stress area).

Have a little think about it .. the ratio is identical, but the setup time is sped up with a touch of heat, rather than applying a drier bead (which in fact is altering your ratio) then juggling the bead and supporting it with your brush ... it's a very common procedure and makes perfect sense.

It is product dependent .... and we don't know what he used.

He also has a very satisfied customer.

Just to add, I doubt it was MMA used, as MMA sets very quickly and to heat-speed MMA would never be needed, that shyte sets up VERY quickly all on it's lonesome.:)

Last edited:
I have decided to ring them and ask them what products they use hope fully they will tell me and be honest will update shortly xxx

No....Gel requires curing under a UV lamp....L&P air dries

Holding a bead of L&P under a lamp is not the norm....and certainly not required if your bead is the right ratio and if using top end products....which we wouldn't know as there where no labels.

For all you know it could be MMA:!:
ok. i've read it all...
and just before answering the topic itself (if i don't forget) let me clear a few things up.

you uk pps are just all for handfiling and in the end you're like the only developped country which forbids the drill?! do you think our nails on the continent are just so bad? do you think we really destroy our client's nails? we won't bite the hand that feeds!

a drill alone will NEVER damage a nail, it's the hand holding the drill that can! you can use it on your skin with the right pressure, it won't dig a hole...

after that...

here again, not all the salons offer a consultation before or what so ever. you come in, you say you want nails, she looks and say "ok sit down" and takes her brush outta its case and let's go...
again, are we that bad??

saying "we" i don't mean my studio... i mean we european-continental ppl... i'm just back from a european training, with no uk ppl :| and we all use the drill, we're all amongst the best techs in our countries, and we do not need to see someone before and chat for nothing...

it's not racism in case you'd doubt. but sometimes when you read the same things over and over you're like... hello...

anyway.

about the kinda lamp, i'm glad Nailzoo could explain it (always better than me!!) but again, we often do it! i've learnt that in comp training...

it's pretty sad, sorry, to see you've flammed a good work because you read viet nails...

i'm sorry if i'm being rude, delete me... but... some of the best competitors, educators, technicians are vietnamese/asian... they work fast, they find new ways of... filing, applying, whatever... they're not all here for the money!!

jenny, it was a One bead application method, made in L+P, with a gel top coat, don't be worried and enjoy it!

Jenny,
The NSS salons do not use gel...they call their liquid & powder "gel" to get you into their salon...but it is still liquid & powder...when you go to a nail tech that does gels, IBD, Young Nails, OPI Axxium, Gelaousy(these are some of the brand name GEL products that are used), and when they do them it looks kinda like a thin jelly type that you use a different brush for, and you cure it under the UV light to adhere it to the natural nail. I use Young Nails Synergy gel, and it is not a liquid and powder consistency...They LIED to you...
If they used the e-file,or a drill, I would have asked what grid the sand band was, because you are not allowed to used a band grid lower than 180, that is the finest grid you can use on the natural nail. I would be more cautious next time I went into a NSSalon to get my nails done...hth's

I agree with Dorrie, even though we say NSS, that doesn't mean that they are Vietnamese, or another oriental country, I have seen Americans who are not very sanitary in their salons, and would be scared to take my nails in their salon...and I also agree that it is the person behind the e-file that can damage your nails...hopefully in the future, there will be ceu's to certify all of our great nail techs, including us to properly use an e-file, to save on our wrists, and cut our client's, and our time down, while giving our clients beautiful nails...

Latest posts

Back