What system is this, only had my nails done for new year and they look fab

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Dorrie, even though we say NSS, that doesn't mean that they are Vietnamese, or another oriental country, I have seen Americans who are not very sanitary in their salons, and would be scared to take my nails in their salon...and I also agree that it is the person behind the e-file that can damage your nails...hopefully in the future, there will be ceu's to certify all of our great nail techs, including us to properly use an e-file, to save on our wrists, and cut our client's, and our time down, while giving our clients beautiful nails...
i really wish i'll see the day when these certificartions come... but.. well. will it really be better? will it change something in the end? well. off topic... i shall go to bed lol

Hi all Geeks, only ever read threads before. Having read your various comments re the visit to the vietnamese ( is that how you spell it?) salon. I know al about this. I know a viet guy locally, the same goes for his popularity and gorgeous nails. When I first went to him I asked for gel and he applied L&P What?? i wondered, this is acrylic...... anyway go forward few months.. I went along with him to his suppliers and I can confirm that it is acrylic powder and liquid, no MMA. when they ask gel or acrylic they are just asking if one would like a gel top coat ( he uses LBD UV sealer) that gives a nice shine and of course goes under the lamp. Those not in the 'know' accept his explanation!!! The powder is supplied in very large pots but is marked as Pink Acrylic orCrystal Acrylic and is supplied from Philledelphia. The product is great. They all use masks, I think that is a vietnamese things or they are just allergic to dust... maybe!!! and also they use a large 16or 18 brush, pick up the appropriate size bead for appropriate nail size and 'layer' it down the nail thenjust pat into shape, therefore less brush marks and generally a much smoother finish. Also they do use a drill ( I have one myself) buffing on natural nail is no harsher that will a buffer file to take shine off, providing you use the correct drill piece of course. I admit to using this product more than the NSI or Millenium. I will have to check some more for a name and let yo'all know.
Hope this clears some of your confusion.

it's pretty sad, sorry, to see you've flammed a good work because you read viet nails...

I don't recall anyone saying anything about Vietnamese meaning NSS or flamed anyones work...this thread has nothing to do with race...lets not make it into one.

I don't recall anyone saying anything about Vietnamese meaning NSS or flamed anyones work...this thread has nothing to do with race...lets not make it into one.

No..I agree. Let's keep this ON topic.
We are talking about products and procedures.
Carl made some good points about product curing times and Angie also did regarding the fact that the client was sold something that she didn't ask for.
Aren't some of the best nail techs in the world from other countries as well??
NSS does not mean FOREIGN to the UK it means SALONS WITH LITTLE OR NO STANDARDS!!
Lets not confuse the issue here.

acrylic can be L&P or Gel....all systems are a form of Acrylic

At Last someone who knows that all systems come from Acrylic and they are all different strengths the only thing which is differen is the chemistry in which these word but in saying that they all go through polymerisation.

I get the impression some of the posters to this thread are not reading the replies properly.

I think there have been some great discoveries from this thread and we may have all learned a thing or two.
So I am saying 'thanks'
xx

what an interesting thread.

i agree with femmefan on the mma issue.

the prep was too gentle for it to be mma, it really needs a rough surface to adhere to, whrereas an ema acrylic doesnt.

so i wanted to reassure jenny and say that i dont think she should be worried.

i hope you werent paying too much extra for gel when it was just a gel topcoat.though many places do have an additional charge for this, i like some others do not as i prefer to use it instead of buffing.

i am new to nails also so forgive me but what does MMA mean? also what does NNO mean? i went and had my nails done for a gel fill but the guy used l&p and then did a gel topcoat. also after he applied the l&p he had me put my hands under the regular lamp then under the uv lamp for the gel topcoat. i was not happy. he also argued with me that the nails i had on were not gel when i know they were because i applied them myself. sorry but i needed to get that out. lol

MMA, dental acrylic, used for fillings, sometimes used by Non Standard Salons (NSS) for nail enhancements. Illegal in the US (although still used on the sly) and very very bad for humans.

NNO - Natural Nail Overlay. Not using tips or sculpting a nail. Acrylic over the natural nail.

EMA is what you want to use for acrylic nail enhancements.

Last edited:
Jenny I'm kinda shocked - You know about l&p so when they were doing it in front of you you should have said something and thats all I'm gonna say as you paid for gel and got l&p.

On the other hand what happened to you may be the best thing as you have been trying to get your application down. You are now wearing a set of nails that you would like to be able to do - take on board what you have learnt and put it into practice. There is nothing wrong with a one bead application I do it all the time (ok my brush isnt that big but I do zones 2&3 in one bead)
Your nails are perfectly formed, thin and natural, you have watched how someone has picked up bead after bead consistenly now its your turn.

And just to echo Doorie - efiles are worth their weight when you are busy busy busy it def takes the strain off. We need to embrace time saving, enhancement perfecting, advanced technology. You do not NEED to use one but its perfectly fine if you do in the right way.

- efiles are worth their weight when you are busy busy busy it def takes the strain off.

Just for fun I am going to argue this point...........
if the acrylic is applied correctly, I could beat a drill hands down (pardon the pun).

And if anyone really disagrees, put your money wher your mouth is ....
lets do a video showdown.......

You apply your crap a mile high and drill it down to a respectable nail
and i'll apply mine ....... then just buff.

Then take into account heat build up (which will make the acrylic more fragile)....but for now lets just look at the basics....such as "finish and finesse".

Who wants to film it and take on my challenge ?

ANY TAKERS ?????????

You are formidable!!!

This has just gone way off topic and I'm just so mad now!

Why does everything have to go back to my way good your way bad - I do not apply my nails like this, nor do I use my drill as part of my service only for removals or to take down bulk. I'm now explaining myself when I dont have to and if you wanted to challenge the drill thing then you only need say that if nails are applied properly and thinly filling should be a breeze with a hand file and that excessive filling of any degree can cause service breakdown and to that I would say I agree!

Hi im new, Whats MMA? I think this is what guy who does my nails uses! He wraps all foils and filing dust up really tight and puts everything in seperate bins!! Very strange.HELP

Hi im new, Whats MMA? I think this is what guy who does my nails uses! He wraps all foils and filing dust up really tight and puts everything in seperate bins!! Very strange.HELP

Hi..welcome to the site...if you scroll back and read the entire thread there is info about what MMA is...or you can do a search on here about it.

I don't think there is anything strange about his binning habbits...:lol:

You are formidable!!!

This has just gone way off topic and I'm just so mad now!

Why does everything have to go back to my way good your way bad - I do not apply my nails like this, nor do I use my drill as part of my service only for removals or to take down bulk. I'm now explaining myself when I don't have to and if you wanted to challenge the drill thing then you only need say that if nails are applied properly and thinly filling should be a breeze with a hand file and that excessive filling of any degree can cause service breakdown and to that I would say I agree!

So therefore you should only need a drill to "debulk" other technicians work ..... not your own...

After all, we should only apply what is needed to accomplish what is needed ..... so why the use for drills otherwise.?

RSI stands for "repetitive strain injury", in using a file we have greater flexibility in movement of wrists,arms, elbows and shoulders.

Using a drill limits our range of movement and in fact "INCREASES" our limit of movement of all these above mentioned joints (therefore making the movement much more repetitive), leading to RSI.....

think about that one for a minute

Hi, I have watched the debates on non standard salons both in the U K and in New Zealand, and would like to make a point. MMA is very difficult and expensive to test for. Clients, and most nail technicians (me included) don't understand all chemistry involved. However, we ALL understand, even most clients,importance of high hygiene standards in the salon. As sanitation in NSS is poor, at best, nonexistant , at the worst, I think we should concentrate on this aspect, and educate our clients on what to look for on the cleanliness front. The International Nail Manufacturers Council have an excellent handout for clients "What to look out for in a nail salon, and another on pedicures. Download these and hand them out to any one thinking of visiting a NSS. Most important of all start to lobby your local council, MP, Health and
Safety officer, regularly, until action is taken and if evry nail technician would do this, on a monthly basis, then we might get some action.

I know where to get the drill and the gel. I actually use it. In their salons they mostly use acrylic. The gel is a builder resin, activator then crystal acrylic......looks great. Their acrylic i think is better also. It stays on better, And j=if your wondering.....i have a copy of the product ingredients (NO MMA), hope this helps, feels free to PM if u like x

Thank You.
I am new to this site, and also new to nails, however last year as a treat I had acrylic nails put on as my own nails never grow very long.

I was absolutely delighted with my new nails and it wasn`t until a couple of months down the road that my nails started to hurt and the acrylic lift at the cuticle.

As a member of the public and not having trained at this stage, I had no idea that drilling nails was a problem. I was also unaware that the vietnamese did the job any differently to anyone else.
The final straw for me was when my nails were so painful when they were being drilled, I asked why they hurt, and the girl just nodded.
Is the only way to find out if they used MMA by actually asking them?

I am getting clients that say they have had a powdered Gel. I think that the "Golden Nail Salon" is doing an L&P service, overlaying a Gel coating and calling them Gel nails. I always thought Gels were gel and acrylics were L&P. My research says that both products are a type of acrylic. I think that even though they may be technically correct it is misleading to the client when there is no clear definition of the service they are getting. There is a big difference between Gel and L&P. Both it appearance and durability.

Hi gys, happy new year (hick up:lol:)

My hbby treated me to my nails done at a salon local to us. It was a lovely atmosphere and they had about six nail techs. It is a vietmanese salon and they use the drills as many call them. It was a little machine that had little sanding tools. Must say though when they did my prep that it was very gentle and i was very impressed.
Any way i asked for gel and i was suprised on there application techniques if not intrigued. They had monomer and powder, which i thought that is not gel. Any way he used a large brush and picked up a large flat bead as big as the nail plate and covered the entire nail in one hit. He faffed very little, then he used a small file on his machine to finish shqpe which again was done very gently. then they buffed and brought to a shine appled nail art by hand which is also fab, then applied like a polish and put me under uv and then again and i was done in 1 hour and 15 min. My nails look amazing, feel amazing and are so shiny and the nail art in encased and almost looks holagraphic in the light. They feel extremly strong as well yet lovely and thin to the touch.

But i have no idea what they used as all there labels were in vietmanese i think and did not resemble gel to me till last off. does any one have any ideas xxxx

Simple. You had L+P with a GEL top coat finish! They did what THEY wanted... not what YOU asked for although you were happy with the results so NO PROBLEM.

You only want to know what type of L+P it was due to the fact you are in the industry. Most 'Asian salons' (this includes Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Philappino etc...) buy from the same source and put in unmarked containers! HTH's:idea:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back