What to do with a 4yr old girls hair!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
Hi there

My 4 year old daughter starts school on the 27th August and I have no idea how I am going to manage her hair. She has lots of very fine hair that comes to just below her shoulders that is all different lengths thank to her DIY job of cutting it. She also has a very strong side parting to the point of if you want to brush her fringe back in the centre it sticks up. The fringe is also difficult as this was one of the areas she cut and she took it back way too far and so we are trying to grow it out. There is no point trying to put any slides or clips in her hair as they just fall out where her hair is so soft.

I am looking for ideas as to how I can put her hair up so it's out the way for school. I find that braids work the best on her hair but I am not very good at it. I would also love to try cornrows on her hair too to keep the front out the way while it's growing but trying to part her hair is a nightmare!!

Any suggestions?

Gods this brings back memories of sitting on the kitchen table with my mom cutting my hair :eek:

Im not a hairdressor but Ive got fine hair like you've described your daughter having, I always found having it bobbed helped keep it out of my way while I was a kiddie. Might help get it all one length if shes cut it a few different lengths.
Hair doesnt have to be put up to be practical, I cant get mine to stay up, never could but little kids do seem to suit bobs IMO.
Perhaps get her one of those alice bands to keep it away from her face even?

That and keep all sharp things away from her so she cant DIY her hair anymore :eek: :eek:

:hug:

Hi there

My 4 year old daughter starts school on the 27th August and I have no idea how I am going to manage her hair. She has lots of very fine hair that comes to just below her shoulders that is all different lengths thank to her DIY job of cutting it. She also has a very strong side parting to the point of if you want to brush her fringe back in the centre it sticks up. The fringe is also difficult as this was one of the areas she cut and she took it back way too far and so we are trying to grow it out. There is no point trying to put any slides or clips in her hair as they just fall out where her hair is so soft.

I am looking for ideas as to how I can put her hair up so it's out the way for school. I find that braids work the best on her hair but I am not very good at it. I would also love to try cornrows on her hair too to keep the front out the way while it's growing but trying to part her hair is a nightmare!!

Any suggestions?

Hi, what about putting a french plat in or pig tails then plat them use clips and abit of spray lightly just to hold it in place it works wonders hun

just a thought hun

:)

thanks, this might be an idea! Alice bands won't stay in her hair though so that's out!!

Hi, what about putting a french plat in or pig tails then plat them use clips and abit of spray lightly just to hold it in place it works wonders hun

just a thought hun

:)

Thanks Deb, I have done french briaids on her before and this works the best, it's just that I am not very good at it and it takes me ages and with the morning rush for school it might not be very practical. On top of that, with the DIY haircut she did, it's hard to know where to start the braid on the top of her head. Pigtails with plaits works although I find regular braids end up with hair sticking out all over the place where it is all different lengths and then she still has the awful fringe which won't go into anything as it's too short but ends up in her face!!

Thanks Deb, I have done french briaids on her before and this works the best, it's just that I am not very good at it and it takes me ages and with the morning rush for school it might not be very practical. On top of that, with the DIY haircut she did, it's hard to know where to start the braid on the top of her head. Pigtails with plaits works although I find regular braids end up with hair sticking out all over the place where it is all different lengths and then she still has the awful fringe which won't go into anything as it's too short but ends up in her face!!

i would stick to pigtails and plaits then just damp the hair with abit of water so it keeps the bits in and use a pretty headband or have a proper fringe put in, when you mean at the front of the hairline it is short do you mean the fringe is long but a chuck as been cut sorry to ask again just trying to picture it in my head hun.

:hug:

Have you tried using hair spray.....?

My 8 year old has very soft hair and clips, headbands are forever sliding out or down....

I find if I hairspray her hair then put the clips in they stay put ( strong hold spray ).

I also will spray her hair with hairspray and then brush it before putting it up and again it keeps stray hairs at bay for a while....

I've had 2 daughters cut off their hair...my eldest did her fringe and the 8 year old mentioned above cut her own hair into a bob :eek: Fortunately she did an ok job and I was able to tidy it up....
the daughter who did the fringe I just had to wait until it had grown out...not a lot could be done!

One thing I don't do...is wash my 8 year olds hair too often...I find the muckier her hair is the better it stays in plaits/ponytails/buns etc....

Have you tried mousse or gel????

hi hun olivia has really fine hair and when i do hers i always use a bit of hairspray , lol , wether it be frenchplaints or pnoytail plaits , (have even been known to use james' hair putty , lmao )
if you wanna learn cornrows .. its similar to french paliting ,just have a nosy on you tube am sure there will be a vid on there xxx

Hi,

As an ulternative to an alice band you could try the stretchy comb band that clicks together in the nape. You could also try using very little plastic band that are used for braids as these are much smaller and stretch to get a good hold...you can do a style that is kind of the look/shape of a french plait by putting small section in pony, take next section and the tail from the one above and secure in band and so on down the head....if that makes sense! if not let me know I'l take a pic and upload it! Hope that helps!:)

Hi,

As an ulternative to an alice band you could try the stretchy comb band that clicks together in the nape. You could also try using very little plastic band that are used for braids as these are much smaller and stretch to get a good hold...you can do a style that is kind of the look/shape of a french plait by putting small section in pony, take next section and the tail from the one above and secure in band and so on down the head....if that makes sense! if not let me know I'l take a pic and upload it! Hope that helps!:)

Thats really what I meant lol, thught it was an alice band. :o can tell Ive never done anything with my hair.

Hi, you could take her to a good professional child friendly hairdressers and ask them to tidy up the DIY cut a bit for her
then it will grow out a lot better for you to be able to tie it up in the future ,

also you could try gently winding a few hair rags for her to sleep in , or you could pop a little sponge curler in the fringe bit (as they are nice and soft ),
also curls will make the hair easier to clip away from her eyes,

:hug: x minky

Hi, you could take her to a good professional child friendly hairdressers and ask them to tidy up the DIY cut a bit for her
then it will grow out a lot better for you to be able to tie it up in the future ,

also you could try gently winding a few hair rags for her to sleep in , or you could pop a little sponge curler in the fringe bit (as they are nice and soft ),
also curls will make the hair easier to clip away from her eyes,

:hug: x minky
yes I have curled her hair before with curling irons and it seems mor managable. How do you do hair rags?

yes I have curled her hair before with curling irons and it seems mor managable. How do you do hair rags?

I was hoping you wouldnt ask me that :lol: can't remember properly but I found this article :) and a video hth :hug: minky x

The only item that you will need is a bag of rags. An old sheet works quite nicely for this. Cut the rags into long strips about 1 inch in width. The width will determine the size of the curls. The length can be anywhere from 6 inches to 18 inches long depending on the lenght of your hair. Allow sufficient time for this procedure.
Allow hair to dry about 90 percent.
Divide hair into the manageable sections and then place the rag next to the first length of hair. Begin winding the hair around the rag as neatly as you can. Neatness really counts here. Now tie the ends together in a knot... tight enough to hold the curl in place, but loose enough to be able to remove when hair is dry

YouTube - www.rageaze.com

Couple of suggestions, a hairband that has the small teeth in it to keep her hair off her face and bob the back to even it up. Sometimes I just use two ponytails on either side, down low or up high whatever you can and clip back the stray hairs with clips.

In the front I sometimes use tiny grasps, u can buy them in IRE cheap and they can hold a small piece of hair and then another tiny piece of hair, and so forth across the front of the hair, like a hairband except its holding tiny pieces of hair at once.

My daughter loves this - don't know if i'm explaining it correctly.

good luck,i'm sure she'll be gorgoeus whatever way it is:lol:

Braids / cornrows / french plaits are the best - they get easier with practise so you should try and to them in the evenings of weekends when you're not under such time pressure. Also, they are easier to put in when the hair is a bit damp.

My sister swears by hairspray for controlling my nieces flyaway hair.

Has she got a fringe - that might be the best way to keep hair off her face and to deal with her diy hair cut.

You can get really small hair bobbins for kids - that helps you to tie up the front half of her hair into a pig tail.

You tube has some great diy videos - you should check there and see if there is a step by step video of how to do some quick, practical:) and easy styles for kids.

i'm not a hair dresser but i always put my 5 yr old hair in 2 french plaits, i try not to have it down or just in pig tails cos i'm fed up of clearing nits out her hair!!! as long as its all tucked away no nits!!!

Latest posts

Back