What to teach?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrelax

Head in the clouds Geek
Reaction score
Hello all,

As many of you will know I am taking part in a teacher training course. I am at the point of teaching my 30 min session to my group and wandered if you all could help me out.

I had orignally decided upon a waxig demo and a bit of theory but then it was made clear that it had to relate to the group. None of the men were interested in waxing and too be honest no other apsects of beauty therapy! LOL

However, I chose to teach aspects of manicure but am not too sure if I will stick with this. Time is a real aspect and I would only be able to demonstrate a file, buff and a polish which is not a problem....Keeping the men captivated is!! Obviously, I can demo a male mani but is this enough??

I just wandered if you guys could suggest what you might like to learn and why (male and female opionons appreciated).

MANY THX XXXXX

Last edited:
this is a difficult one!

If its for men and women, why not do a talk on nail diseases and how to identify them, then show some pics at the end and get them to guess the disease?

Or a talk on Health and safety in the workplace. Sounds boring but you could do a room plan and ask them to identify possible risks, like risk assessment.

I did various things like that when I was doing my course, and the whole class loved the H&S one. I did drawings on OHP so had something visual for them to look at.

I did my micro teach on waxing and they were really interested. You will be surprised how interested men can be about the going's on in a salon.

Some of the other teachers did really boring one's and did not cater for the whole group.

You could even rope a macho male into having a little wax done on his legs (I offered to wax the lecturers beard LOL just for a laugh!!) I also did the other on electrolysis - which they also found interesting.

Oh yes, nail diseases is a good one, you could have loads of pics and descriptions then do a little quiz at the end to see if they have been listening.

:)

I knew you giys would help! lol

I will teach H&S, namely fire safety.

Thanks again!!:hug:

Hi, I recently finished my teaching course and for my microteach I did homemade face masks. I talked a bit about the benefits of using natural products in skin care, the effects different fruit has on the skin, and why and how we use a mask in facials. Then did a demo, I made a mask out of bananas and honey, then let them make their own mask.... I did end up taking quite a lot of stuff in: the fruit, blenders, pots etc. They all really enjoyed it and took the masks home to use that night.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Linds xx

When i did my micro class i was told it had to relate to what i wanted to teach,
i did a short demo of basic nail art, then had the whole class doing nail art on tips that were stuck to sticks (wooden stirrers from coffee shops) this was men and women,
they are had loads of fun and some did some really good designs too hth

hi i did my micro teach in nail art got them all to pair up and work on each other went over the nail products and did a demo the rest of the session was practical keeps the pressure of u and its fun the guys in the class loved having a go they are normaly the very talented ones. if they learn a design they can go and tell their other halves .

Hello all,

None of the men were interested in waxing and too be honest no other apsects of beauty therapy! LOL MANY THX XXXXX

Bet they would be interested if you had a lady in a bikini having a spray tan!!

hi I am doing my 30 min micro teach this monday 21st I am totally bricking it ha ha. I am going to show the group how to set up the equipment and to show them what materials I use. first 10 mins talking about the equipment and materials. then next 10 mins I will split the group up into 2, one group can use the airbrush for 5 mins and the 2nd group use the gun (with water) to spray arms only then change over after five mins, so they learn how to use the gun and airbrush. last 10 mins is to get the group to answer the quiz i have set them (handout will be provided as well) and to answer any questions they might throw at me. fingers crossed it will go ok. I hate being filmed as well so that does not help my nerves either.

I only watched my micro teach again about 2 years ago and I wonder how I managed (although I did well to conceal my fear) - I did it in '95 so a long time has since passed - I had to switch it off - I couldn't bare a second longer. Haha.

Sharon - just try and enjoy it. I felt as though I was hiding behind someone else who was doing the talking - I was in there somewhere - really strange. LOL.

Best of luck.

xxx

Hello all,

As many of you will know I am taking part in a teacher training course. I am at the point of teaching my 30 min session to my group and wandered if you all could help me out.

I had orignally decided upon a waxig demo and a bit of theory but then it was made clear that it had to relate to the group. None of the men were interested in waxing and too be honest no other apsects of beauty therapy! LOL

However, I chose to teach aspects of manicure but am not too sure if I will stick with this. Time is a real aspect and I would only be able to demonstrate a file, buff and a polish which is not a problem....Keeping the men captivated is!! Obviously, I can demo a male mani but is this enough??

I just wandered if you guys could suggest what you might like to learn and why (male and female opionons appreciated).

MANY THX XXXXX

I would query this, because surely it's more important that it's relevant to you. I agree that you need to keep the group interested but you need to show you know your subject, so it would make sense to choose something that's a strong point for you.

I chose eyebrow shaping and my audience were all men except one, and they were a great audience, asked loads of good questions and they were all measuring where their brows should start and end with pens and toothbrushes in the pub later :lol:

Latest posts

Back