What training have you had?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Ive been wondering is there anyone on here who hasnt got NVQ qualification in nails but trained with creative/ez flow etc?

Hi, I do not have an NVQ in Nails, I have done accredited training in Manicure and Pedicure and IBD Gel Nail Enhancements and am just completing my Young Nails L&P Foundation, I have no problem getting insurance and am happy doing my training this way as I can make it work for me. hth. Claire x

Ive been wondering is there anyone on here who hasnt got NVQ qualification in nails but trained with creative/ez flow etc?

Me! I've done all my training with CND - L+P Foundation, Skillbuilding, 1:1 and L+P Masters, and Brisa conversion.

I think you will find that most tech`s NVQ,VCT etc have gone on to train further with their chosen system or a few systems I think we learn so much more and continue to do so the more training we take. I did a VCT course at college and what should have been 12 month course turned into 18 months, during the time I found this site and learned far more off geeks than my tutors and realised I needed to do further training with a system that was both reputable & supportive.

Thanks for your replys guys!

So for those who did go college and get their nvq and then go on to train with a particular company e.g CND dont you think it was a waste of time to actually go college instead go and have training with e.g CND??

I don't have a NVQ
i have done most of my training with CND
some with Ezflow and some with NSI
the only course i have attended college for was for my teaching qualification,
hth :hug:

hi i have a nc in beauty care (scottish college)
trained in l&p with cetuem
then conversion with cnd and fell in love with the products
i mean to go on and get a cert in brisa ,and would love to retrain in waxing with kim so onwards and upwards :lol:

Hi I origionally trained as a beauty therapist at college in 2005. I got my NVQ that included manicure and pedicure. I have been out of the industry for a while which is why I decided to do one on one training over 10 weeks. I have found this training invaluable and of a higher quality than I got at my college.
Now I'm not knocking my college training because I think that the basics I learned there and all the health/safety,structure of the nail,contra indications etc have stood me good stead in my current training.

Hi I origionally trained as a beauty therapist at college in 2005. I got my NVQ that included manicure and pedicure. I have been out of the industry for a while which is why I decided to do one on one training over 10 weeks. I have found this training invaluable and of a higher quality than I got at my college.
Now I'm not knocking my college training because I think that the basics I learned there and all the health/safety,structure of the nail,contra indications etc have stood me good stead in my current training.

This is the same as one of my friends she went to college and done the nail course and once she had completed her course she didnt feel confident the products she was using wasnt all that good and niether was her nails (she also said this) so she gave up so i think college training is very good with their health and safety etc as you said but when it comes to producing and really great set of nails i dont think its that good.

Also what comes into this is the government will happily fund under 19s or people that are on benefits for their courses if they go to a government college when the course isnt as good as you would get with a one to one training course with a good company but when it does come to us who need funding for lets say a CND course they refuse!

but the amount of people who do go college 80% say it wasnt all that great and have gone onto training with a one to one company.

I TRAIUNED WITH
THE BEAUTY ACADEMY &
THE CARLTON INSTITUE ( WAS OK )
AND THEN WENT ON TO
ENTITY CONVERSION AND EZFLOW HD CONVERSIONS:hug:

I trained with Essential Nails for l&p and Gel, converted to ezflow HD,
and Solana for Mani and Pedi x

I suppose the problem that I had with college was the number of students in each class and I'm sorry to say it but the 'quality' of the students taking the course.
Whilst taking my course I could understand why some people see beauty therapists/nail technicians as being a bit dim. Some of the girls were very young and had no dedication what so ever. It was literally something to do for them and a way of not having to get a job ! Now all of my class qualified, but I personally would not have put parts of my body in the hands of some of these'qaulified' collegues !!!
At least with my EzFlow course I know that I will only pass on my own merits and when I have acheived a very good standard.

I personally have only trained with CND and am now master tech and love there training, also after having salons I would never have taken anybody on who isnt CND trained....even if they were good techs I always sent them to Creative for conversion courses.

i dont have an nvq in nails but i did go to college.
i was lucky that my local college was run very well as my teacher was denise wright and we were using nsi products.i cant remember exactly how many were in my class but not all of them returned after the first day as i think they thought it was going to be much easier than it was and also on the examination day some of the people who were there were people who had to re take the exams as they failed them at the end of there course.
i dont feel i missed out at all as i got great help when i aksed and even after i know i can still ask denise herself or one of her techs.
so i definately count myself as one of the lucky ones with what training i had as i had no idea about products and what was good or bad etc..

I think the problem I had at college was that all the students but 3 of us were school leavers and again probably weren't as dedicated as I was and although initially I didn't have a problem with this I felt I was also treated as a 16 year old instead of as a mature student the result of this was that the lessons were at a lot slower pace, as the college was attached to a secondary school and my tutors taught the final year students (ones that had their name down for NVQ Beauty Therapy) I felt is was very much a high school classroom environment basically I felt like I was being treated like a child and not a mature student with the life experience and common sense of a 35 year old. In saying that it was still worth doing and I did cover health & safety in great depth and the basics were well and truly drummed home, just a shame everything else was rushed at last minuet and I had 2 assesments to complete which is why I opted to go back the following year but then found out I would have to wait till all the assesments were being done in the new year to complete my final 2 . That why I took the route I did eventually.

I researched extensively before taking my training.
My local collage had a choice of 2 courses
Beautician nvq 2 and then continue for another year for nvq3 this was full time and required a work placement total time spent on nails, year 1 six weeks on mani and pedi year 3, 6 weeks on all three enhancement systems :eek:
Second course
2 year, nails only 1st year, mani and pedi:zzz: 2nd year enhancments:zzz:
So I did
Creative Foundation L&P
Creative basic nail art
Creative Sculpting
NSI conversion Sculpting 121 training
Essential nails Airbrush art.
Max number of students on my courses, 8 number of instructors, 3
My instructors always had as much time as I needed to teach me the course, I can still call Anne and say, hi got a question and she will happily answer me, at shows all the instructors I have trained with remember me and say hello. All my instructors are working techs and their little anecdotes taught me so much about the industry and have useful more times then I can count when I've been dealing with customers.
Worth far more money then I actually paid in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back