What's it like to live in the UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cousins down south crack up when i do my Taggart line, " there's been a murrdurr ! " lol

They also enjoy "purple" and "curly-wurly" as well as "burger" and "girl" and "your doin my head in".

Try saying to them, " a girl was murdered while eating a burger, she was wearing purple and had a curly-wurly in her bag " Guaranteed to have them rolling about :)

lmao although i'm quite poilte spoken for a scot my mates crack up when i'm asked if it will be a nice night to go out which i reply
" aye it'll be a braw bricht moonlicht nicht tha nicht " heehee ..my poor brother gets the worse him being very broad scot accent so u can imagine when he talks .they just nod ..put a thumb up ..look at me and ask quitely ermmm what did he just say lmao on a recent trip back home to see mum i asked the local baker for some butteries(buttered rolls) he pointed me in the direction of woolworths!!

Last edited:
Well we are all entitled to our own opinion and mine happens to disagree with yours...I understand that running the country is not an easy task and you can never please everyone because we all have such different views...but at the end of the day...it is their job and their profession...so they should be good at it as far as i'm concerned..if you can't do something effeciently and properly...then don't do it! They are a bunch of idiots and most of them on the fiddle themselves and getting fat off the country they are supposed to be running...leaving most of us constantly struggling to make ends meet..they are why it is so hard to run a household..they are all a flippin joke imo.

The biggest thing wrong with the UK these days is the people who run the country down and moan and complain constantly ... always acting like someone owes them a living. All that negativity brings what???? Just more of what you don't like.

There is plenty to moan about in the USA but you never hear Americans saying thie country is crap or 'doing it down'. They are proud to be American.

Just listen to yourselves. I can't believe I'm reading some of these comments. Instead of droning on about what you don't like all the time, how about getting what you want by focusing on that and being the master of your own destiny and getting what you do want?

The biggest thing wrong with the UK these days is the people who run the country down and moan and complain constantly ... always acting like someone owes them a living. All that negativity brings what???? Just more of what you don't like.

There is plenty to moan about in the USA but you never hear Americans saying thie country is crap or 'doing it down'. They are proud to be American.

Just listen to yourselves. I can't believe I'm reading some of these comments. Instead of droning on about what you don't like all the time, how about getting what you want by focusing on that and being the master of your own destiny and getting what you do want?

I couldn't agree more Gigi - the UK is not perfect, but show me somewhere that is........ I know a couple of people that have emigrated and then come back because the country they emigrated to wasn;t all they thought it would be.

Negativity breeds unhappiness and to say that the government is full of useless people 'on the fiddle' is just ridiculous IMO. Look at what is good - we have food in our stomach's, a roof over our heads, freedom of speech, a benefit system, the NHS (I know it isn't perfect but at least you don't have to provide a credit card on arrival before they'll treat you). A friend of mine in the US had a bad car accident and the medical bills were more than $1m - thank god they had medical insurance..... Think of those that live under Robert Mugabe (no food, no job and murdered if you complain).

I always try to look at what is good im my life - my house is small, but I can afford it and it's easier to keep clean! My kids can be a pain, but they are confident and happy......

Positivity breeds contentment IMHO.

Scotland's the place for me :hug: nowhere else in the world compares...

We have such a diverse culture of people here in the UK as well as scenery...probably the most diverse in such a small space to be found anywhere in the world.

lets face it..an English country pub,sunday roast just cant be enjoyed anywhere else on the planet as mush as in good old Blitey

That said it is nice to nip somewhere hot for some sunshine to help recharge the batteries now and again :hug:

live where you want to live but make sure you actually do live the life that dreams are made of...no matter where you rest your weary head each night :hug:

well i agree with both sides to an extent...but this country IS run down...and just cos a few of us have had a good old moan about it does not mean were all misery guts thinking the world owes a living...and that we won't continue to strive for what we want!..what a ridiculous thing to say..we ALL have niggles and complaints about one thing or another...nobody is THAT happy with everything...its always best to air your veiws...have a good old winge from time to time and be honest and true to yourself and others...and the fact is if someone asks what its like to live here...then im not gonna lie and make out what a wonderful place it is...cos it isn't...there are good bits and bad bits..people need to know ALL the facts about what to expect befor making such a big commitment if you ask me! I personally would rather know the truth anyway.

Oh and as for thinking that its ridiculous to say that our mp's are not on the fiddle.......WHAT!! haha are you serious!l lmao

nobody is THAT happy with everything

I must be that 'nobody' then.

I am happy with everything in my life. The good or the bad because I choose to see things in a different light.

I am happy because I am grateful.

I am happy because I am contented.

well i agree with both sides to an extent...but this country IS run down...and just cos a few of us have had a good old moan about it does not mean were all misery guts thinking the world owes a living...and that we won't continue to strive for what we want!..what a ridiculous thing to say..we ALL have niggles and complaints about one thing or another...nobody is THAT happy with everything...its always best to air your veiws...have a good old winge from time to time and be honest and true to yourself and others...and the fact is if someone asks what its like to live here...then im not gonna lie and make out what a wonderful place it is...cos it isn't...there are good bits and bad bits..people need to know ALL the facts about what to expect befor making such a big commitment if you ask me! I personally would rather know the truth anyway.

Oh and as for thinking that its ridiculous to say that our mp's are not on the fiddle.......WHAT!! haha are you serious!l lmao

Duracell comes to mind .... on and on and on and on :zzz::zzz:

Nothing rediculous at all about what I said matey ... take a look at your own posts ... not one note of positivity or good cheer ... as for MP's being on the fiddle ... yawn yawn ... get real ... name me a poitician anywhere who is completely honest ... why would anyone even be in the political game if they didn't benefit .... that's why they do it .. it certainly isn't a British phenominon ... use your head and look at the corruption in other countries and thank your lucky stars you don't live elsewhere.

I just wanted to point out that actually the UK has the highest frequency of tornadoes / twisters in Europe.

We average around 50 land tornadoes per year.
In comparison to the US who average 1,170 per year, we don't get many..... but we do get twisters.... Don't you guys remember the houses that got ripped apart last year?

why did you move to spain?

The NHS service is not pants. Its slow and the waiting lists are long but its not pants.

If you are in a critical life or death situation then the service is speedy and you can be sure you are seen to and looked after 24 hours a day. The best part is its all free, you do not need to pay a penny.

Technically, this is not true as the last time I checked, I personally pay £145 National Insurance every month !! Your contribution is obviously calculated according to your income. You might not pay for it "directly" when you go see a doctor etc, but you DO PAY for it.

BUT, I agree, coming from a country where you have to pay for your own medical insurance, the NHS is a wonderful system and does help so many people who financially would not be able to afford private medical cover if this was how the UK worked.

I also agree with the statement about the weather. It is wet, cold and grey for most of the time, and it does get you down. But I also agree with the comment that the UK is a beautiful place when the sun shines :lol:

As for the rest, I think the UK is a great country and I'm not even English ! The only other two countries that rival the UK is Australia and Amsterdam (technically not a country LOL).

As for the rest, every country has their problems, show me one that doesn't, however, the UK has FAR less problems than a lot of countries out there.

I agree the Government does silly things and that H&S is getting a bit OTT, but hey, as Geeg says, you need to make the best of your own life and be happy as far as you possibly can.

Marlise

PS: As for the Scottish, you are right, we CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU :lol: :lol:

I must be that 'nobody' then.

I am happy with everything in my life. The good or the bad because I choose to see things in a different light.

I am happy because I am grateful.

I am happy because I am contented.

And I'm another one 'flower'. Happy and grateful for the blesings in my life and for my life ... I wouldn't change anything. Contentment is a rarity and it comes from within.

Maybe it is from recognising your higher consciousness and some don't even know they have it. :lol:

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that actually the UK has the highest frequency of tornadoes / twisters in Europe.

We average around 50 land tornadoes per year.
In comparison to the US who average 1,170 per year, we don't get many..... but we do get twisters.... Don't you guys remember the houses that got ripped apart last year?

Yeah but most of the tornadoes are that small and short lived and out in the countryside somewhere that we don't ever see them, and im not sure i remember a twister..hmm..maybe vaguely but we dont get anything like that to the extent other places do..for that i thank my lucky stars...i dont like mother nature when she gets mad lol:eek:

Technically, this is not true as the last time I checked, I personally pay £145 National Insurance every month !! Your contribution is obviously calculated according to your income. You might not pay for it "directly" when you go see a doctor etc, but you DO PAY for it.

BUT, I agree, coming from a country where you have to pay for your own medical insurance, the NHS is a wonderful system and does help so many people who financially would not be able to afford private medical cover if this was how the UK worked.

I also agree with the statement about the weather. It is wet, cold and grey for most of the time, and it does get you down. But I also agree with the comment that the UK is a beautiful place when the sun shines :lol:

As for the rest, I think the UK is a great country and I'm not even English ! The only other two countries that rival the UK is Australia and Amsterdam (technically not a country LOL).

As for the rest, every country has their problems, show me one that doesn't, however, the UK has FAR less problems than a lot of countries out there.

I agree the Government does silly things and that H&S is getting a bit OTT, but hey, as Geeg says, you need to make the best of your own life and be happy as far as you possibly can.

Marlise

PS: As for the Scottish, you are right, we CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU :lol: :lol:

I think it is safe to say that what Anna was meaning was that you don't have to pay directly out of your pocket when you go to hospital or see a doctor ... she knows perfectly well how the system works having lived in the UK for all of her life. :)

why did you move to spain?

It wasn't because I hated living in the UK.

I also emmigrated from the USA to the UK, but it wasn't because I hated the USA.

I have lived in a few different countries and certainly do not have to explain to you or anyone else the why and wherefors of doing so. It's called 'the rich pattern of life' .... and I have had a great one.

I think it is safe to say that what Anna was meaning was that you don't have to pay directly out of your pocket when you go to hospital or see a doctor ... she knows perfectly well how the system works having lived in the UK for all of her life. :)

I think marlise was referring to flower saying that its all free and we dont have to pay a penny.

It wasn't because I hated living in the UK.

I also emmigrated from the USA to the UK, but it wasn't because I hated the USA.

I have lived in a few different countries and certainly do not have to explain to you or anyone else the why and wherefors of doing so. It's called 'the rich pattern of life' .... and I have had a great one.

no you don't have to explain to me..i was simply interested to know. where abouts are you? or am i not allowed to ask that either lol

oh just noticed! lol benissa..i think my mums on the costa blanca...i get mixed up with the costas lol..shes near torrevieja, dads near barcelona

I apologise if what I meant came across wrong.

Yes, we don't have to pay directly out of our pocket when we go see a doctor etc, but we do pay for them "indirectly" by paying our NI every month. That's what I tried to explain. The medical service we receive is not "free" as such.

Having read some of the other posts also underpins what I said about the NHS previously.

If (heaven forbid) I was in an accident and needed major surgery or something, I'm sure the bill would run into thousands, if not more. I wouldn't be able to afford that if I had to pay out of my own pocket and having private medical is expensive. Trust me, I know ! So I'm very grateful to the NHS and that it works the way it does.

It's swings and round-abouts. Some people pay their NI contributions every month and never see a doctor so might think the money is "wasted" or whatever, and then there are people that are at their doctors every day with every possible little complaint. They seem to get their money's worth :lol:

I have no major issues with how things work in the UK. Sure, as everyone on this board, I have some small niggles, but hey, I get on with life and try not to dwell on things.

Generally, I'm happy with my life and this beautiful country. Just wish we could do something about the weather :lol:

M.

I think marlise was referring to flower saying that its all free and we dont have to pay a penny.

NONE OF US HAS to pay a penny directly out of our pants pockets!!

THAT is what anna meant, and I think it is quite obvious that is what she meant .. we all know what taxes are for I think. In that sense, the NHS is free and we don't pay a penny (directly out of our pockets) to doctors or hospitals.

Now I've said it 3 times ... has it sunk in? :lol:

There are without doubt MP's who are working for their own ends, but my point is that we live in a democracy with freedom of information so the widespread corruption that is seen in some African countries can not happen here. The biggest scandals we get in government are mainly related to s*x!!

Latest posts

Back