Where can I find cheap training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as in any thing else.... cheap often means (not always, just often) that you end up spending more in the long run.

If I could go back, I would do the more expensive courses rather than the cheapie I started with. It would have saved me a lot of heartache, and prepared me better.
A cheap course in this industry will ALWAYS means you waste countless hours of your own free time and tonnes of EXPENSIVE product trying to get it right.. and then you wind up taking the better course anyway.... so it takes you longer to get where you want to go AND winds up costing more.

That is not to say you won't practice in your own free time on an expensive course. It just means that the cheap way will be longer and more expensive.

That's another thing...
Had I not found this site, i would have likely tossed in the towel aaaaaages ago. Much of what I learned here was NOT covered in my course. UGH.

Do yourself a favour. Invest in your future WISELY.
Learn from the mistakes of others and save your pennies AND time (which in the end, costs lots of pennies too) and choose the right course. You'll profit far more from it, than from taking a 'short cut' which really isn't a short-cut at all.

best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as in any thing else.... heap often means (not always, just often) that you end up spending more in the long run.

If I could go back, I would do the more expensive courses rather than the cheapie I started with. It would have saved me a lot of heartache, and prepared me better.
A cheap course in this industry will ALWAYS means you waste countless hours of your own free time and tonnes of EXPENSIVE product trying to get it right.. and then you wind up taking the better course anyway.... so it takes you longer to get where you want to go AND winds up costing more.

That is not to say you won't practice in your own free time on an expensive course. It just means that the cheap way will be longer and more expensive.

That's another thing...
Had I not found this site, i would have likely tossed in the towel aaaaaages ago. Much of what I learned here was NOT covered in my course. UGH.

Do yourself a favour. Invest in your future WISELY.
Learn from the mistakes of others and save your pennies AND time (which in the end, costs lots of pennies too) and choose the right course. You'll profit far more from it, than from taking a 'short cut' which really isn't a short-cut at all.

best of luck

I agree toatlly- you get out of it what you put in- be it money or time.

good luck!:hug:

I agree with previous posters!

I decided to do nails after having been on the other side of a nail station as a client and thought I'd love to do it! I searched around and found the cheapest course I could do - D'OH!!! It didn't cover *anything* that I expected it should and whereas, yes, *technically* I had a certificate saying I could 'do nails' but I knew I couldn't do enhancements, manicures, pedicures, etc as I hadn't been shown how to do it!! Really wish I'd taken the money I'd spent on that course and gone to Creative to start with! I got excellent (and fun!) training through them and I know that I've got a proper qualification... even tho I still have so much to learn!!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide and hope you can get saving! :green:

:hug:

While I'm not interested in "doing" nails professionally or as a sideline at the moment, I would be interested in getting a better understanding of some of the issues that are discussed here - any suggestions to a book or website for newbies, just so I can interact with you all a bit better?

:confused:

todd

Thank you all once again for your advice and info...:hug: xxxx

You said you had done a fibreglass course?
Someone else could correct me if I am wrong....but does that not have any bearing on training? Would she have to do a foundation course or not just a conversion course?
Sorry thinking aloud as usual...

Like everyone has said...it is a case of saving those pennies....
You could find cheap training I am sure of it...but do some searches on here and see if it is worth it....then make your decision...

I know how you feel though...I am a person who wants things done yesterday...once I have a bee in my bonnet that is it...I want it NOW :lol:

Good luck with whichever route you plan to go down....phone around your local reputable training companies/centres and see what they have to offer and get some brochures and information...then you can have something to forcus on while you save those pennies...xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :hug:

Yes I had previously done a fibreglass course (back in 2000)!...I hadn't used the systm in a lng while an ended up selling all my products etc...:irked:...wish I'd kept some stuff now!...anyway it's don now......so basically what I want is to learn l&p, sculpting etc...I also did a Nail Art course and would love to take this up again......thoroughly enjoyed it...(I still have my nail art nails that I painted....couldnt bare to part with them :))......so I don't mind going back to basics to learn.....I love to study!!....thanks all for your kind replies xx

Yes I had previously done a fibreglass course (back in 2000)!...I hadn't used the systm in a lng while an ended up selling all my products etc...:irked:...wish I'd kept some stuff now!...anyway it's don now......so basically what I want is to learn l&p, sculpting etc...I also did a Nail Art course and would love to take this up again......thoroughly enjoyed it...(I still have my nail art nails that I painted....couldnt bare to part with them :))......so I don't mind going back to basics to learn.....I love to study!!....thanks all for your kind replies xx

Please forgive spelling mistakes.....got a set of acrylics on and keep missing keys....:o...not used to them yet! xx

you really do get what you pay for.

and if you produce cheap / bad work from cheap / bad training, you wont earn any money anyway.

IMO 'cheap' should almost always be followed by 'nasty' lol.

dont mean to sound harsh, just what i think and i cant word it any nicer lol.

IMO 'cheap' should almost always be followed by 'nasty' lol.

dont mean to sound harsh, just what i think and i cant word it any nicer lol.

Not just your opinion!:lol:

hey easter is coming up...just tell people you don't want eggs...you want MONEY...and birthdays and christmas...you'll soon be there hun. In the mean time to get a head start you could buy a folder and print off the tutorials on here and start swatting up. x

Last edited by a moderator:
hey easter is coming up...just tell people you don't want eggs...you want MONEY...and birthdays and christmas...you'll soon be there hun. In the mean time to get a head start you could buy a folder and print off the tutorials on here and start swatting up. x

I dont get anything for Easter..lol..bit old for that...and my b/day not until Dec now...cant wait that long...:lol:.....copying tutorials seems good idea though...thanks x

i think you are very much like me- in respect that when you want something you go for it with all guns blazing and want it right away. (which imo isn t a bad thing) BUT thats where my problem started- i did a "cheapy" course a couple of years ago- and yes it taught me some things but has cost more money in the long run as i realised the certificate i got was basically only there to say i had attended and thats it! So i ve now had to spend more money correcting the error.............. please don t do the same- its just not worth it hun.

Bagpuss gave you a really good tip there- they come in very handy:)

Bloody good idea, that!!! I'll ask peeps for money instead of choccies.

Oh the sacrifices you have to make to qualify in nails...!!!! :green:

:hug:

While I'm not interested in "doing" nails professionally or as a sideline at the moment, I would be interested in getting a better understanding of some of the issues that are discussed here - any suggestions to a book or website for newbies, just so I can interact with you all a bit better?

:confused:

todd

Hi Todd

A couple of great books are Marian Newman's (aka Mum on here) The Complete Nail Technician. The second edition is out now, but the first one will more than fill in the blanks of what the hell we are talking about LOL!. You can pick up copies of the first edition cheaply on ebay etc. and if you love it as much as we do, you can invest in the second edition and update your new found knowledge.

Amazon.co.uk: The Complete Nail Technician (Hairdressing and Beauty Industry Authority): Marian Newman: Books

Another good one is Encyclopedia of Nails by Jacqui Jefford:-

Amazon.co.uk: Encyclopedia of Nails (Habia City & Guilds) (Habia City & Guilds): Jacqui Jefford,Anne Swain: Books

Happy Reading :green:

i think you are very much like me- in respect that when you want something you go for it with all guns blazing and want it right away. (which imo isn t a bad thing) BUT thats where my problem started- i did a "cheapy" course a couple of years ago- and yes it taught me some things but has cost more money in the long run as i realised the certificate i got was basically only there to say i had attended and thats it! So i ve now had to spend more money correcting the error.............. please don t do the same- its just not worth it hun.

Bagpuss gave you a really good tip there- they come in very handy:)

Oh I am very much like that.....I want it like yesterday.....men just don't understand...do they....?....:)..I have decided I am not doing it cheaper...I want the BEST!.....That was the problem with my fibreglass course...apparently It does not carry a recognised certifictate and that cost me the best part of £200!!!!....but I didnt know that at the time....hindsight is a great thing eh!...oh..I've printed off some tutorials.....my man will have a fit when he see's I've used lots of his ink!!!:green:...need to hide it.....:lol:....x

Hey,
Capital Hair and Beauty have some really good courses...i know they have nail courses from The Edge, Acrygel and Star Nails.

have a look here Capital Hair & Beauty Ltd - Hairdressing & Beauty Wholesalers - Nails Courses

i think you can book on line, or just go into your local branch and talk to them, they will be able to help you!

good luck!

Hi, I had a look at their site the courses all seem to be down south...I'm in scotland....I have prviously did a coure via Star Nails......:hug:

Oh I am very much like that.....I want it like yesterday.....men just don't understand...do they....?....:)..I have decided I am not doing it cheaper...I want the BEST!.....That was the problem with my fibreglass course...apparently It does not carry a recognised certifictate and that cost me the best part of £200!!!!....but I didnt know that at the time....hindsight is a great thing eh!...oh..I've printed off some tutorials.....my man will have a fit when he see's I've used lots of his ink!!!:green:...need to hide it.....:lol:....x

You really are like me!!!:lol:

Hi Honey

I would just like to add to what has already been said.

If you have done the fibre Glass/silk course you should have the basic's A&P etc I see that someone has said what about a converson.

If you are moving from silk etc to acrylic this will take longer that one day to learn due to the different techniques and the obvious use of a brush dose not happen over night.

There are however very good companys out there which yes you will pay more for but very worth while.

Why not look at Ez flow, CDN, Young Nails and NSI which are all very good training and support.:hug:

I believe youn get what you pay for! If a salon offers a set of nails for £10 and a few doors away they were £40 which would you say were best? Do your research you are in the right place. :hug:

Latest posts

Back