Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this thread!

OK, so I use salon systems tint and I've just this minute checked what it says on the pack. It says that a sensitivity test must be carried out 48 - 72 hours before, each time.
Arse.
I'm going to email Salon Systems for clarification. I'll also investigate other brands for their directions too.

Hmmm...well I use Professional beauty Systems tint that you buy in Sallys' and have just checked the box and it says that a patch test must be carried out 48 hour prior to tinting. However, it doesn't actually say that you must do this every time.

Have to say I have NEVER had a client react badly to this tint and I do quite of lot of brow and lash tinting. That's not to say there won't be a first time but honestly, what a waste of product and time to be patch testing every single time. Clients will think we're mad!

Would be interested what Salon Systems have to say Lynne.....please report back and I will see if I can get clarification from Professional beauty systems.

What a faff....:evil:

PB
x

In the salons beauty side I don't think anything has had to change as like Lynne said they should be skin testing for brow and lash tints as the box says, but think the main change is affecting hairdressers from 3months to 48hrs.

Everything's getting so strict these days! I even asked one of the beauty lecturers today if they've faced any changes like the hair side has as I was doing her hair making her aware of the new change and she said no.

The first thing I said was a major loss in clients will happen yet the salon think not, just seems annoying if you fancy a change which usually boosts our services and then they're off put by all the skin tests along with it and having to wait til next appointment!

Also said clients will go elsewhere etc an they've told me all salons/mobile services will soon have the procedure in place so it'll soon become normal x

In a recent course i did to refresh my skills i was told new regulations was test tint and glue every 12 weeks xx

Yea because I work in the college salon so the insurance is all sorted for every student working there x

Ah cool, there are insurers that are alright then!

OK, so I use salon systems tint and I've just this minute checked what it says on the pack. It says that a sensitivity test must be carried out 48 - 72 hours before, each time.
Arse.
I'm going to email Salon Systems for clarification. I'll also investigate other brands for their directions too.

I use salon systems too, dammit, let us know what they say, this is riduclous xx

correct me if I am wrong. But I heard somewhere that Refectocil is the same product as the HD brow tint!

Hope you don't mind me butting in ladies. Is this just for tinting or will this apply to eyelash extensions too. This is the first i have heard about it... getting a bit worried as I have a couple of people an hour or two away. They wouldn't be at all happy about having to travel that distance more then once in a week

correct me if I am wrong. But I heard somewhere that Refectocil is the same product as the HD brow tint!

I thought it was one beginning with h - hairwell or something?

Hope you don't mind me butting in ladies. Is this just for tinting or will this apply to eyelash extensions too. This is the first i have heard about it... getting a bit worried as I have a couple of people an hour or two away. They wouldn't be at all happy about having to travel that distance more then once in a week

I know that it now applies to lvl lashes, I am not sure about lash extensions as nothing should touch the skin. Not sure, sorry. Yet another I'm going to have to look into! Ah the joys...

Ahh ok. What a right pain in the arse it will be!

this would be very difficult for mobile techs like me. Everytime a client books for a tint i have to travel to them 2 days before to do a patch test? :confused:
Would make the treatment unprofitable

I replied to thread on this before about patch testing. We have in salon patch test papers which we sell for a £1.00. It's like a transfer you put on your arm, rub and a dark patch appears, if they are sensitive a rash etc appears. This would help a mobile therapist as you could leave one with them, and ask them to put it on 48 hrs before,as the mark will still be there so you know they have genuinely used it! Down side for able they are quite expensive.

Makes you wonder whether its the HD fashion that has caused the problem and more claims.For years we have been avoiding tinting the skin and now tint is being applied all over the skin and left on for much longer than we all used to,to get it to stain the skin.Also people are having it done every week or so to keep the look.Over exposure I guess.Looks like we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Hmmmmmm

May need to call Salon Gold tomorrow ....if anyone gets hold of them in the day (as I wont be able to call until the evening) can someone update this please :)

Thanks

What is also annoying is when these things come in we should be told.Its a bit late when you try to claim and they say well sorry you arnt covered because you have to patch test every time now.Well if that's right then blooming well tell us we shouldn't be having to ring up to ask.They all start emailing quick enough when your renewals due.

I use combinal and all the box says is
"We recommend skin testing before using combinal dye".
Doesn't give a specific time in days or hours.
Could this mean done every 4-6 weeks would be okay??..

What is also annoying is when these things come in we should be told.Its a bit late when you try to claim and they say well sorry you arnt covered because you have to patch test every time now.Well if that's right then blooming well tell us we shouldn't be having to ring up to ask.They all start emailing quick enough when your renewals due.

Well said!

Latest posts

Back