Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here's my take on it. I follow what my insurance company tells me. They tell me I have to follow the manufacturer's instruction. These instructions are not clear so I am seeking clarification. If they tell me I have to test every time then that's what I'm going to do. Why? Because I'm not running the risk of either injuring my client or working outside insurance cover.
I would suggest that everyone seek explicit instructions from the manufacturer. It will prompt one or more responses.
They will either change the instructions on the packaging and/or kick up such a stink because of the thousands of therapists calling them and talk to the insurance companies.
Ignore this at your peril.

I haven't seen/heard of the 'new legislation' but for new clients or in rare cases a client that has been previously but hasn't returned back in the last 6months it's Best to carry it out just incase they have developed a reaction to anything since their last tint. But I have always done a patch test at least 48hours before tint, but if clients refuse to come in (usually clients don't mind if you explain the importance of having a test done) then I get them to sign to say I advised them to have a patch test but they refused against it etc etc.

Then that way your covered for any come back :)

I haven't seen/heard of the 'new legislation' but for new clients or in rare cases a client that has been previously but hasn't returned back in the last 6months it's Best to carry it out just incase they have developed a reaction to anything since their last tint. But I have always done a patch test at least 48hours before tint, but if clients refuse to come in (usually clients don't mind if you explain the importance of having a test done) then I get them to sign to say I advised them to have a patch test but they refused against it etc etc.

I would clarify this with your insurance company because I don't think you are covered unless they actually have the test.
It's rubbish!!

No you definitely are not thats a disclaimer and when it comes to the nitty gritty its worth nothing.

Um, no you're not. You're professionally negligent because you carried out a treatment without a patch test.
People cannot sign away their rights and not one judge in the land would back you if you tried to make them.

I would clarify this with your insurance company because I don't think you are covered unless they actually have the test.
It's rubbish!!

Yeah I'm going to after reading this thread as like many of you have said just in case they won't cover you etc. Rather be safe than sorry definitely :)

Um, no you're not. You're professionally negligent because you carried out a treatment without a patch test.
People cannot sign away their rights and not one judge in the land would back you if you tried to make them.

I know I'm saying this is what I have done in the past. I knew nothing of this until I read this thread no more than 10 minutes ago so I will be making phone calls and finding out what's what and what's right! I'm not turning a blind eye to any of to what has been said! I was simply saying what I normally do ...

Yeah I'm going to after reading this thread as like many of you have said just in case they won't cover you etc. Rather be safe than sorry definitely :)

Def, better be safe than sorry.
A few years back you'd probably have been covered but insurance has tightened it belt on our industry. There is a massive suing culture now!
Boo!

I replied to thread on this before about patch testing. We have in salon patch test papers which we sell for a £1.00. It's like a transfer you put on your arm, rub and a dark patch appears, if they are sensitive a rash etc appears. This would help a mobile therapist as you could leave one with them, and ask them to put it on 48 hrs before,as the mark will still be there so you know they have genuinely used it! Down side for able they are quite expensive.

I doubt these will b able to be used anymore I think the actual product will need to be used instead xx

Def, better be safe than sorry.
A few years back you'd probably have been covered but insurance has tightened it belt on our industry. There is a massive suing culture now!
Boo!

I know it's rediculous there always finding new ways one can be sued :( I imagine it will only in time get more and more tighter. Wooo :(

Makes you wonder whether its the HD fashion that has caused the problem and more claims.For years we have been avoiding tinting the skin and now tint is being applied all over the skin and left on for much longer than we all used to,to get it to stain the skin.Also people are having it done every week or so to keep the look.Over exposure I guess.Looks like we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Going off what my tutor said, you've hit the nail on the head.

I know it's rediculous there always finding new ways one can be sued :( I imagine it will only in time get more and more tighter. Wooo :(

What a depressing and unfortunate truth :(

What is also annoying is when these things come in we should be told.Its a bit late when you try to claim and they say well sorry you arnt covered because you have to patch test every time now.Well if that's right then blooming well tell us we shouldn't be having to ring up to ask.They all start emailing quick enough when your renewals due.

Yep! As long as they have your money they don't care. I'd love someone from an insurers to comment on this. Guild, babtac etc.

I've just checked my Refectocil box & it says 'patch test advisable'

However, if it's new wording coming onto new boxes for the manufacturers to cover their butts then all they're going to do is shoot themselves in the foot. Clients won't come in for the patch tests for every single appointment so reputable salons won't be able to treat them so will therefore take ELT/EBT off the menu.

Well I'm using refectocil and I am insured by babtac so I will just have to find out aswell. This is going to be a royal pain in the arse and will no doubt lose me customers and everyone else too! There will always be salons that don't care and those ones are the ones getting all the tinting clients.

I've just checked my Refectocil box & it says 'patch test advisable'

However, if it's new wording coming onto new boxes for the manufacturers to cover their butts then all they're going to do is shoot themselves in the foot. Clients won't come in for the patch tests for every single appointment so reputable salons won't be able to treat them so will therefore take ELT/EBT off the menu.

Do you mind me asking when you got the tint with this on the box? I got the thing about the repeat patch test every time off the paper insert inside the box you see. And totally agree, reputable salons will end up taking it off, leaving salons that never patch doing the treatment...great for client care.

Well I'm using refectocil and I am insured by babtac so I will just have to find out aswell. This is going to be a royal pain in the arse and will no doubt lose me customers and everyone else too! There will always be salons that don't care and those ones are the ones getting all the tinting clients.

Said it all in a NutShell! It happens very time. Those who say u must every time people don't always have time and its 'not convenient' so will opt for places where it's 'convenient' weather or not its safe and in their best Intrest! So annoying.

This is news to me - thank god for Salon Geek and thanks for this thread!!!!

I use refectocil too and test clients annually (unlike some salons in my area), so if I have to travel twice to clients houses and get paid for one service its not going to be worth my while. Its one of my favourite treatments too so I'm not a happy bunny :(

Its also a bit of worry that I didn't know of this change, is there anywhere that you can subscribe to that gives you updates so that you can keep informed?

This is news to me - thank god for Salon Geek and thanks for this thread!!!!

I use refectocil too and test clients annually (unlike some salons in my area), so if I have to travel twice to clients houses and get paid for one service its not going to be worth my while. Its one of my favourite treatments too so I'm not a happy bunny :(

Its also a bit of worry that I didn't know of this change, is there anywhere that you can subscribe to that gives you updates so that you can keep informed?

I wish there was:(

Latest posts

Back