Which room do you use for your home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
I had intended to be mobile but have ended up with 50% of my clients coming to me. I work in my conservatory, open plan to my kitchen.

With evening appointments I have to warn my husband clients will be there as otherwise he will be in the kitchen opening a beer, rifling the fridge, feeding tit bits to her royal highness and talking to himself all at the same time. Oh and will have changed into his 'indoor clothes' - scruffy T shirt and even scruffier shorts - all year round. He is strictly forbidden from doing one of his seafood stir fries.:eek:

It is clearly not satisfactory and I am trying to work out what to do. How do the rest of you organize your home salons.

I have my spare bedroom all set up for it. Everything I need is in there. I just warn my boyfriend that someone will be coming but we usually go straight up there and then I come back down to get the coffees.

Adele ,I started in a similar position in my home and stayed there for 12mths but i soon was really busy and my family felt their privacy was gone ,also i felt uncomfortable if i had dishes around so i was spending all my inbetween time cleaning the house as well as my area ,SO finally this year i have moved my position to the front entrance to the house as it is L shaped nobody that comes as a client needs to see my home and those people that come as friends usually use the garage anyway .so from my personal experience find an area away from your living and family rooms if possible

We had an extension built 3 years ago and I now have a separate room on the side of the house with its own entrance, toilet etc. but it can be used as a spare bedroom (with lilo) if the need arises.

Im in a conservertory at the moment, but am having a 3 roomed log cabin built as we speak all plumbed up etc and elecs.:hug:

we have an extension at the back of the house....which is the new kitchen/diner....so the old kitchen (which was very small and off the hallway)....is now my nail room. It was going to be a downstairs shower room...but i won the toss....:lol:

pic is in the link under my signiture..xx

Luckily I have a spare room in our ground floor flat. I have posters on the walls, a few scratch mags out and certificates up and framed.
It has a good feel of a real salon!!

I like it but dreading when we move as i may not have a spare room next time!! (military) So I would probably go mobile if didn't have the room unless I had a seperate dining room i suppose that could work!!

Anyway rambling now.

We moved house last year and i purposely bought the new house cos it had a study downstairs by the front door and a toilet so i could work from home without clients interferring with home life, which is usually my hubby snoring in the lounge after being fed and watered from work lol, but when i do work from home in the evening, a lot of my clients know my hubby, as i`ve done them for years now, so he comes in and chats to them!:)

I have my spare room kitted out as a salon. I have two bathrooms so one is kept just for guests,and clients. It works really well for me so far.
I love working from home.:green:

I have a newly build nail shed with all mods and cons had to take it away from the house because of the children and there asthma didnt want any nasty odours making them worse ....

we have an extension at the back of the house....which is the new kitchen/diner....so the old kitchen (which was very small and off the hallway)....is now my nail room. It was going to be a downstairs shower room...but i won the toss....:lol:

Looks nice Angie - love your table - where was it from?

Looks nice Angie - love your table - where was it from?

Thanks.....it was from ikea for about £30 i think...you chose your table top and then chose the legs...

My room used to be the utility room and outside door area. We knocked it into one and rehoused washing machine/dryer/freezer (not easy in small kitchen.) I've got an outside entrance which is really good. With evening appointments sound really travels so I have to tie up and gag the kids and husband (not really:eek:), other wise the atmosphere isn't very relaxing! One day when I have more clients I'd like to extend the room and have my own toilet as I hate clients walking through the house seeing my unavoidable mess.

I would love to have somewhere completely separate to do nails but at the moment it just isn't possible. I am looking into having a wooden chalet in the garden but am concerned about it getting too hot in the warmer months.
At the moment I do nails in our dining room, which is partly attached to the kitchen so once we have finished our meal the kitchen is cleared and cleaned (a pain but at least it's done then).

I play relaxation music and tea and coffee are readily to hand! We live in an old house and once I shut the dining room door which leads to the hall, the client can't hear family noise or TV and the family are totally banned from the dining room (except in dire emergencies and that doesn't mean a sarnie before bed! :lol: ).

Thanks everyone, lots of food for thought.

I am despararate to keep everything on the ground floor so it looks like I need an extra room.
To achieve this I've either got to find some very wealthy clients who want to come three times a week or chat himself up. This may take some time as I am fresh out of wifey credits, ho hum back to my conservatory for now.

Thanks everyone, lots of food for thought.

I am despararate to keep everything on the ground floor so it looks like I need an extra room.
To achieve this I've either got to find some very wealthy clients who want to come three times a week or chat himself up. This may take some time as I am fresh out of wifey credits, ho hum back to my conservatory for now.

adele, would it be possible to make some sort of moveable divide between your conservatory and kitchen for now....a vertical blind for instance that you could close when you are working in there. and maybe the clients could come through the conservatory door instead of entering via the kitchen. it must be awful difficult to have to keep your family out.

adele, would it be possible to make some sort of moveable divide between your conservatory and kitchen for now....a vertical blind for instance that you could close when you are working in there. and maybe the clients could come through the conservatory door instead of entering via the kitchen. it must be awful difficult to have to keep your family out.

Unfortunately it is not a door width but the width of the kitchen, not something you could screen off.
I have no problem with people coming through the kitchen 90% of the time - just not when he is cooking !!!

We have moved 3 times in 3 years as we are building our dream house and planning took forever. The first house had a small room that we used as a playroom with shelving so I bought a beautiful tri-folding handpainted screen to hide the toys. That worked well as it was downstairs. The house we're in now has a smallish spare room upstairs which I have kitted out and I have my 3ft marine fish tank in there too which my clients love as it's v relaxing. Trouble is, it has cream carpet and I have dropped coloured gel lids on the floor once or twice and it has stained. (Landlord's not going to be happy!!)

Unfortunately I lost the toss as my hubby has claimed the study in the new house for himself so I am getting one of the bedrooms but it is going to be kitted out purposely as a nail salon with Amtico flooring. It's not ideal having people traipsing up and down the stairs but I will have tea/coffee up there so won't have to take them in the (messy!!) kitchen to get drinks! We should be in sometime Aug so I will post a pic then (hopefully).

When I used to get my nails done and I went to people's houses, I wasn't too keen being perched on a dining room table with her kids wandering in and out and all the distractions. I know sometimes it's unavoidable but you want to present as professional a front as possible. The other one I went to had a room set aside purely for nails and so I modelled my set ups on hers as it felt relaxing and professional. Clients realise that you have a home life and children and do make allowances but professional is the name of the game (and of course, beautiful nails!!).

hello

i have the storage room ( wher you put your bike's ect) at the front of our house so i made my salon ther it has his one entrence zo nobody has to go through my house

Cute little nail room you got there Angie. Would love to have something like that myself!:)

Latest posts

Back