Who'll be opening on the day of the Royal Wedding?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire213

Reaction score
Hello gang,

I've just found out I've got to work on April 29th :grr: My boss is not keen to close. I can't imagine many people will be in for beauty treatments, but hey ho. So, is anyone else opening? And do me and my colleagues have any rights, legally, to have the day off with pay? It is a bank holiday after all. Any thoughts greatly received.

Thank you,
Claire x

Thats great, thank you xx

You are welcome and I hope it helps. Have your contract to hand so you can check what it says as well xxx

I cant really help on the legal side of things. But not everyone is into the royal family, so to say that it is unlikely many will come in for beauty treatments is untrue. Some people wont even think twice about what day it is, I for one (although will watch the news and so forth) will be booking in appointments on that day if clients want them.

I thought the day of the Royal Wedding had been declared as a public holiday?

It is a public holiday. I'll be closing the salon. I want to watch it and be a part of history in the making! Not every day you get to see our some day king get married!

This is just a paragraph from the Citizens Advice Bureau about Bank and Public Holidays which makes for interesting reading I think .... Quote "Although many workers are given time off work on bank and public holidays, your employer is not required by law to allow you time off work on these days. And if they do give you the time off, they do not have to pay you for this time off. However, your contract of employment may give you the right to time off work on bank and public holidays. If so, it will also specify whether this time off will be paid or not."unquote .... obviously it goes into more depth how holiday entitlement is calculated. Their website is certainly worth a read. x

It's a Friday and one of my busiest days, so yes i'll be opening!
I'm really not fussed about watching it. I'm of the opinion of 'who cares?'
Besides we need to work to make some money to foot the security bill :rolleyes:

I'll be opening too. Will be happy enough to see the highlights, wouldn't watch it all day long even if I was at home so prefer to be making money.

Would be better for me if they got married on a monday .. how thoughtless of them!!!!!!!!!!!! tee hee, thought I had better add this bit in case anyone thinks I'm being serious

Jacqui x

I'll be working... That's the beauty of Sky+!! lol xx

I will definately be working too. None of my friends want to watch it but they all get the day off so I think there will be a lot of people off work and bored. £££

Friday I will be working sky+ working overtime couldnt justify closing a friday for a wedding we are footing the bill for hahahah

I'm not fussed either, if I'm not working I'll do my weekly shop if the supermarkets are open as I've got a busy weekend doing other things xxx

ill be open, not into the royals in the slightest so its just another day for me!

I will be open. I have spoken to ACAS in the past about bank holidays. They come out of general holiday allowance. If my staff wish to use up a days holiday watching the wedding then they must book it as holiday.
I wish the bank holiday issue was made clearer to people as they think they get 28 days PLUS 9 extra bank hols, which is NOT the case. OH, and while I am ranting, someone working ONE day a week DOES NOT GET 28 days off a year, as one dopey idiot thought.

Fridays are very busy for me so I will be working!

Think of all those potential walk-in's wandering around and enjoying a bonus day off! Definately staying open!

Latest posts

Back