Why can't I get it right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone out there has just the tip for me on this one because I can't seem to get it right! I have just started to do spray tanning and have been doing quite a few 'models' as I don't feel confident enough to spray tan a paying client. I just can't seem to get the right amount of solution on the person! There is either way too much so they are literally dripping or nothing seems to come out at all!!!! What am I doing wrong? Pleeeease help!!! xx

Hi, don't worry you just need to continue practicing and to be patient. Most importantly to relax so that you can achieve a good rhythm. When I trained we first used just WATER instead of tanning solution to get familiar with the routine.

When it becomes more natural we used the tanning solution.

Consider all this as your learning curve so that you know how to deal with each flaw in the spray tan technique.

Good luck!
p.s. use warm water otherwise your poor model will be very cold!

Thank You Curly Bamboo! I will do that actually ~ I'd been practising with water and food colouring in my white shower so I could see where I was going! When you do it with the water on people, can you see how much is coming out? Would it drip the same as the solution is on people at the mo? xx

Thank You Curly Bamboo! I will do that actually ~ I'd been practising with water and food colouring in my white shower so I could see where I was going! When you do it with the water on people, can you see how much is coming out? Would it drip the same as the solution is on people at the mo? xx

Michelle,
you are doing the right thing so far...it's simply a case of usage now so keep practacing.

We tend t find tha it is those that find it difficult in the early stages that actually become very compitent through the extra efforts and lengths you go to in order to get it right.

The water and colouring is a great way to save money on liquid...and if you us choco mint ..tastes yummy as well:lol:

Don't worry the tanning solution will obsorbe far better into the skin than just water alone :hug:

Please dont loose confidence...if you weren't up to the job you wouldn't have got passed your training phase...so trust in yourself and what you have been taught...the rest will follow :hug:

Please keep me directly informed as to how you are getting on...as an insurance policy...if you feel you still need some additional training remember we are always here...so just shout and I will get it orgonised for you :hug:

can you adjust the amount of tan that comes out of the gun?
this maybe where its going wrong!!!
overspray from the gun, or maybe you are moving the gun too slowly over the body so its building up to much....
try steady speed,straight movements, if too little comes out you can return to that part for a second coat when it dries......
good luck xx
p.s try u tube for some vids x

Dont worry you will get there!

Here are my tips:
ensure you remain the same distance from the body at all times
follow the contours of the body
Measure your solution before you start and then check to see how much you have used at the end of each spray - aim to use 50ml per spray
The body should not appear "wet" or "shiny" - if so turn the gun down or move quicker
Solution should not "pool" in the pores

HTH and good luck - it's not rocket science so you will get there.
Liz
VANI-T

Just a thought - could you be spraying too close or too far from the body ?
Too close would mean the liquid would be more concentrated to one area and more likely to 'drip'
Too far away would mean the liquid would be a fine mist over a large area and therefore not much coverage.

I suppose you've tried adjusting the flow-knob of your machine ?
( :smack: Aye, I thought you would've !!!!)

HTHs

Ah, thank you for all of your helpful comments! I'm getting soooo frustrated with it now but I'll keep going!! I'm going to take all of your notes down and pratice it all again on my boyfriend tomorrow ~ bless his cottons. I don't think he knows what he's let himself in for.

I'm finding it hard practising with water on people as I can't see if it's dripping etc. if you know what I mean? I'm using so much solution but I guess that's all part of the course! I do wonder if i'm a little too close and slow so will keep that in mind.

You'll laugh ~ my first practise after my training I was so nervous I forgot barrier cream and gloves for me so my model ended up with dark knees, elbows, ankles and wrists and I had orange palms for days! Then just to top it off I thought I would practice on some couch roll so stood straight in to the tent to hang it up. You guessed it, I ended up with orange soles to match!!!!

xx

Michelle,
you are doing the right thing so far...it's simply a case of usage now so keep practacing.

We tend t find tha it is those that find it difficult in the early stages that actually become very compitent through the extra efforts and lengths you go to in order to get it right.

The water and colouring is a great way to save money on liquid...and if you us choco mint ..tastes yummy as well:lol:

Don't worry the tanning solution will obsorbe far better into the skin than just water alone :hug:

Please dont loose confidence...if you weren't up to the job you wouldn't have got passed your training phase...so trust in yourself and what you have been taught...the rest will follow :hug:

Please keep me directly informed as to how you are getting on...as an insurance policy...if you feel you still need some additional training remember we are always here...so just shout and I will get it orgonised for you :hug:

Thank you Collin! You're so sweet! I do feel that if after my next 4 practises I'm still not getting right I might take you up on the extra training. I still haven't got that silly gun holder sorted either, shall I just try some little screws do you think? I feel like I'm a real ditz when it comes to spray tanning ~ I'm sorry! xx

Thought I'd keep you all informed of my progress with the spray tanning ~ I changed some of the 'knobs' on the machine, stood a little bit further away and moved quickly but confidently and I think (fingers crossed) this is the best one yet!!! My boyfriend didn't look dripping in solution (except a little bit under his arms which I think is because of the underarm hair) but he didn't look very different but I'm thinking it will develop properly in the next 6-8 hours, is that right? xx

Well some solutions have little colour guide does he have any lines where his underwear is or didnt he have anything on.Its handy to see a line especially when practising so you know it has gone on as yes it can be difficult to tell.
If it has gone on ok he will gradually darken over next few hours and then quite a bit more by tomorrow.

Thank you Gill! I've just spoken to him (he's at the pub) and he has said that 3 people have asked him if he's been on holiday which is a good sign!!!

What solution and machine do you use Gill? Did it take you a long time to get the hang of tanning? xx

I use tantrick with the t100/200 or tantrick minimist.I have had no trouble at all getting the machine right. I hang a piece of couch roll up against my patio door and spray that to check it is spraying ok.
My trainer got me to feel the paper so i know whether its too wet or too dry by the feel and also the colour on the paper.
To be honest no i havent found it hard and havent really had any probs that i would say have been the fault of my initial application.

Ok, well thank you for your help xx

I have pm'd you Shellie. :hug:

Latest posts

Back