Why do people think very short courses are OK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean by 'get around it'? Why is there anything to 'get around'?

The process of accreditation has been explained very clearly in the post above by The Guild. Are you suggesting that everyone who runs short courses is unqualified and/or unaccredited?

No jmel

I'm just not very good at expressing myself sometimes :rolleyes: but there are some who run courses and you don't get a certificate or if you do, it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Didn't mean to offend anyone who runs short courses.

No jmel

but there are some who run courses and you don't get a certificate or if you do, it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Well then you've answered your own question hun! Some courses are accredited and some are not. That's all there is to it really.

xxx

I'm afraid I haven't read the whole thread since last time but it seems to have gone onto teaching qualifications.

I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that I have an opinion on this!

Personally, I don't care how good someone is at the beginning and how quickly they have picked up the practical skills, being a good teacher is so much more than that!

Nail services is one thing; teaching is something in addition. The two don't automatically go together!

Just as important as this, experience is so important! By experience I mean that a good teacher should have several years experience working in a salon environment. I don't even think several years as a mobile is good enough without salon experience although I do think mobile experience is very useful when added to salon work.

So, in my opinion, a nail tech shouldn't begin to think about teaching until they have several years experience in a salon environment, plenty of on-going training courses, an understanding of teaching methods and fabulous nail skills.

Yes, I know, where are they all?? Well maybe because these basic requirements are not followed by the vast majority of training providers is the reason so much of the training in this country is such rubbish. So few take a true pride in their abilities; they are just looking for a quick return.

Accredited courses should have followed guidelines that are published. I don't go along with 'individual' cases. I'm pleased The Guild require a teaching qualification but length of time working is just as important and there should be a minimum requirement! Someone could have been teaching something totally different the do a short course in nails and teaching a few months later! There are plenty of Guild accredited courses that are 2-3 days learn all systems! There are even accredited courses that don't require the student touching a real hand!

well about short courses,over here in belgium you can buy any brand without qualification,I understand that for some brands in the UK you need to have qualification to buy your product or am I wrong ,I have seen nails that are soooooooooooo terrible looking ,even from qualified persons and very popular salons,even on trade shows anyone can get in buy their stuff,mu niece does her nails without training ,you should see her nails ,horrible,overfiled the lot.There should be laws on this.I had the unfortunate event that where I had my first training,with nail creation,the educators nailbar went bankrupt and I never got my "diploma" to hang on my wall,so I followed a new course in the evening,first we had a normal manicure lessons after a couple of months it was gelnails,now i have a diploma for 68 hours of nailenhancements,and to top it off we were tought wrong,working with ibd.

Well, regarding short courses, I think that a lot of people see nails being 'done' and think "I could do that, it's easy" (I know I did:smack:) and then I tried it!!!! I now know from personal experience that it is not easy, but with on going training and perfect practise I will get there. I think this is what some courses trade on, those poor unsuspecting people that think after a few days they can do everything, simply because the course says they will. I have just completed my foundation with CND and one of my friends has suggested that maybe now I could branch out into training others, because "how hard can it be", and I quote "after all the training you have done, you should be able to train others" PMSL I have done two foundation courses, and the reason for doing two was because the first one I did I didn't feel was worth the paper it was written on!!!!

Marian,

I agree 100% on all counts. One can be an excellent nail tech and not an excellent teacher and vice versa.

I also agree about experience, varied, across the board. I am amazed at the amount of "nail techs" that don't get the basic manicuring skills down! eek!

So, in my opinion, a nail tech shouldn't begin to think about teaching until they have several years experience in a salon environment, plenty of on-going training courses, an understanding of teaching methods and fabulous nail skills.

Yes Ma'am!

Yes, I know, where are they all?? Well maybe because these basic requirements are not followed by the vast majority of training providers is the reason so much of the training in this country is such rubbish. So few take a true pride in their abilities; they are just looking for a quick return.

Not just in the UK I'm afraid. I saw it in the US and I'm seeing it here in NZ. The question is HOW do we up the game to thereby quash these shysters out of our business?

JMHO, all standard disclaimers apply, etc etc etc.

N.

Marian,

I agree 100% on all counts. One can be an excellent nail tech and not an excellent teacher and vice versa.

I also agree about experience, varied, across the board. I am amazed at the amount of "nail techs" that don't get the basic manicuring skills down! eek!

Yes Ma'am!

Not just in the UK I'm afraid. I saw it in the US and I'm seeing it here in NZ. The question is HOW do we up the game to thereby quash these shysters out of our business?

JMHO, all standard disclaimers apply, etc etc etc.

N.

They are making money doing nails!! :lol: Many prefer to do that than to teach and then there are the chosen few who really have the want to pass it forward and to teach others.

Most good nail techs like being their own boss instead of getting caught up in the college environment and all that involves.

The biggest secret to the success of CND is the quality of the independent people who become their Education Ambassadors ... they have to have ticked all the above boxes and more to be considered for CND Ambassador training ... you know what they say in the UK?? It's easier to get into MI5 than to become a CND Ambassador :lol: Not quite, but almost.

I have just read a comment about tutors passing students who they know are not good enough just to get funding.

Well, all I can is this is not my experience at all. The training I get from my tutor is excellent but she goes over my work with a fine toothcomb. I really get frustrated and cross with her but I just think that when I get my diploma I should be a very well trained beauty therapist.

I am one of the quieter students and mention this because I notice that the chatty, loud, confident students make mistakes that my tutor doesn't notice. If they do, they are able to say they are having a "blond moment" which is rubbish i.e. one of them was doing a leg wax incorrectly at the time.

I will be very relieved when I get my diploma but can't say that I am enjoying the course.

I have read all above and do agree that this is not down to the course length, but the way the course is presented and who is teaching.
I have been doing nails for 3 years and still keep learning and updating my skills and knowledge. However, I had good experience with short courses and extremely bad with full-time college courses.:twisted:
Here is my rant.
My first course was Natural Nail Care short course with EzFlow (Margarita Belska) and it was great! However, I did understand that this is just a begin and there is so much to learn.
Then my finances were tough and as I wasn't able to afford acrylic or gel course with EzFlow, I decided to go to local college. The college were advertising that in 6 months I would learn all 3 systems. And I thought it is good value for money. :D During our first class (after I enrolled and paid), our Tutor told us that were are going to cover just gel nails and ask if there is anyone thinking we are going to cover other systems too. I will not describe the whole argument with her and the college, but at the end the college refused to refund and I decided to complete the course as it is, not to lose money I have already paid for the course and the kit (BioSculpture. The course was horrible - I was feeling like was doing health and safety course or "Marketing Biosculpture Products" course, than a nails. However somehow they made me feel the best and I left full of confidence and ready to work in a salon. At that point I didn't know how long will it take me to retrain.
I finally found a job in a salon and it was really though in the salon, but I appreciate my boss's patience and support while I was re-trainig privately.
Since then I did a lot of courses privately in UK, Holland and Latvia (Nail Creation, CND and Kinetics Nails) and I must admit I had bad experience only one (all the time I was wondering 'what did I pay for?").
Then a year ago I completed Beauty Therapy Level 2 in a public funded college. ;) I picked different college and was thinking it would be a good addition to my exsisting treatment menu and this time I will be fine.
Well, from all the treatments we were taught I only perform eyelash tinting and perming. I just don't feel confindent enought in others (facial, waxing, make-up, eyelash extensions), however, I have passed exams with higest score in my class. Now I am among those who give up - I just decided to stick to nails and continue training in this area, rather than try to retrain myself in all these beauty treatments too.
I am sure there are good colleges too, but from my experience I believe there must be more internal control about how they teach. For example, our manicure and pedicure Turtor, after watching how I paint French and knowing that I was already qualified in nails, asked me to demonstrate it and explain the procedure to fellow students, as she didn't feel confident enough about it. And it wasn't said 1-2-1, it was in front of all the students!
I just think, that when choosing a privately-run training, the best is to go with reputable product houses and educators with impressive portfolio (salon and session work, placement in competitions, own photographic portfolio, etc.). As from my experience, recognised qualification will not guarantee high skill level.

So what are you meant to do if there is no other courses in your area other than short courses, its alright saying these short courses are not very good but I feel, if I really wanted to do a nail tech course, I have no option than to do a short course.
The college in my area are not doing the tech course this year, I have childcare issues so can not travel a great distance to do a course else where, so do I just NOT bother then?
I have done level 2 man and ped and now want to progress, but it seems than I cant, The course I have been looking at is a 3 day course at Dennis Williams and I will only learn one system, is this course too short?
I have just completed a level 2 hairdressing course done at college (2year course), I wouldnt let half of my class mates any where near my hair, so what does that say about long courses...sometimes its not the length of the course that is important but the knowledge that you recieve from the course tutors. I have seen some really shoddy nails come from long college courses, and some excellent nails come from courses done at sallys.
How do we find out if a short course can get insurance?
If anyone has any ideas where I could do a decent nail tech course in grimsby than please let me know as I cant find any!!

As someone who runs short courses myself, I believe it's down to quality and not quantity.

Most of the therapists that train with me have been to college for two or three years and they come to me because they are still not confident or competent to wax........even after all that training.

Therefore, in my opinion, it's down to the teacher and not the length of the course.

I agree Kim, but still if you have 12 students and only 5 days to cover 4-5 nail-systems, then even if you are a GREAT teacher you cannot cover all.

I think the problem lies with how to see what a short class is too??? 4 days (not in a row) in one system for BASICS only, having to do at least 2 training nights and an exam in 6-9 month and 8 people in the class, was great for me. But I know some I trained with didn't pick it up, and didn't research on their own either or committed to training/practice...

So It's not only the length of the class, the personality, experience and ability to teach of the teacher, but also the skills, commitment and will of the student...

All in all a lot of factors must be considered when choosing a class, so often the private companies will have better education as they can have experienced tech working for them plus they cannot afford to have bad education really:D

This is just my opinion...

As someone who runs short courses myself, I believe it's down to quality and not quantity.

Most of the therapists that train with me have been to college for two or three years and they come to me because they are still not confident or competent to wax........even after all that training.

Therefore, in my opinion, it's down to the teacher and not the length of the course.

I agree with you Kim .. ha ha for 25 years we have been teaching great Creative techs on FIRST a 3 day Foundation class and then a 4 day Foundation class and now a 5 day Foundation class (for one system only). One thing they always know and understand is that the 3,4, of 5 days is just the beginning of at least a year long journey.

The ones who promise riches and full qualification after this amount of time are the ones who lie and take advantage of new ones .. and the teaching is not ongoing and basically crappola.

I thought short courses were fine...after all I have a background in Beauty (NVQ3BT)...However...

I did a short course in Nail extentions (VTCT) at my local college, the course was supposed to cover FG, Silk & Acrylic. It was 1 evening a week for 6 weeks with lots of home study. We did theory and practice in FG & Silk but when it came to acrylic, we were shown a demo for half an evening (1.5hr ish!) on the last night then time to leave the course.
There was about 20 students and one tutor.

And yet somehow my certificate shows I am qualified in FG, Silk and Acrylic and passed with flying colours - top of the class!

I found out afterwards that I was in fact crap and no longer offer extentions in my salon. Shame.

I'm going to stand on the soap box for a while now! There are so many people doing these courses and setting up on their own. it really makes me mad that they go undercutting salons like mine, who have spent ten years building a reputation for quality and experience for somebody who has done just a day or so's course and then going around poaching our clients, just because they are cheaper. The lady who deliversmy post has started doing beauty and nails and stopped me recently to show me her l and p enhancements, they were bloody awful! But it doesn't stop her from doing them on clients because she is cheaper!

Then there are the people who do a day course on spray tanning, buy a kit and again try to under cut us salons, I spent a lot of money on a huge tanning booth with four solutions in and they spend a few hundred quid and their ready to go, look I don't want to offend anyone here, but you only have to see the amount of posts regarding spray tanning on here to get the picture!

It takes years of experience and lots of courses to keep updating your skills to become a professional beauty therapist/nail technician to be what I called qualified and competant. I'm still very critical of my own work and feel that you're only as good as your last treatment.

I'm going to stand on the soap box for a while now! .
(didn't quote the whole thing just wanted to show it was a reply)

So why don't I bother about cheap places??? because I have found: cheap places don't stay around very long, they cannot afford it. If they do stay around they usually produce crappy work, and if clients are happy with that, I'll just take those that aren't. And people just going by price, often isn't loyal clients anyway.

I think the ones who take the short classes and set up and don't bother to do any more training, will be the ones loosing in the end....

I don't compete on price, I compete on quality and I win BIG time:D

it really makes me mad that they go undercutting salons like mine, who have spent ten years building a reputation for quality and experience for somebody who has done just a day or so's course and then going around poaching our clients, just because they are cheaper. The lady who deliversmy post has started doing beauty and nails and stopped me recently to show me her l and p enhancements, they were bloody awful! But it doesn't stop her from doing them on clients because she is cheaper!

If your clients are used to having great nails, then they are not going to put up with nasty ones .. How could a person doing bad nails poach your clients if they were happy with their nails in the first place? If clients are being poached then there will be a reason for it otherwise clients don't leave a salon for an inferior service at an inferior price (not in droves anyway).

There have always been 'cowboys' in every sphere of business and ours seems to attract huge amounts of them ... why??? Precisely because of these short type courses that promise the earth and give nothing and the 'mentality' of so many that doing nails, or beauty, or tanning or lashes is EASY peasy japoneasy. They soon find out that it is not, and that they have wasted more money than they will ever make!

I must admit that I have seen a new trend in people attending short courses and then thinking 'I can do this.....loadsa money!', then the next minute you see they've set themselves up as trainers and carrying off the technique as their own.

I really do think that the trainer should have either developed their own technique in something or should have a minimum amount of experience as a 'working' therapist.

It would also be a good idea if the body accrediting the courses had to take more responsibility so that if a student makes a valid complaint about poor training, then whoever accredited the trainer/course should take action and re-consider the accreditation and the trainer.

Funnily enough we have been discussing this topic on Hair Geek but the bane of our side of the industry is the unqualified ( gone on a 3 day course ) Hair Extensionist !!!
It make us mad as we are proud of our industry and want to elevate and promote it no have cowgirls come in and ruin it for all of us!!!!

You see from our side someone only has to have bad hair extensions once to put them off for life.!!!!

I was thinkingof doing one of the courses, to be honest 4days to learn all of this, is alot of work the course time should be expaned to maybe 2 weeks education or more. I Will be learning this at college anyway, i think you are better waiting until you have done manicure and pedicure before you do any sort of 4 day course in nails. You need the experience and the qualifications to do these courses.

4 days is not enought to learn all of this never mind being qualified and receiving a certificate after 4days train ing! This does not make you an experienced nail technican.

I would rather learn properly the manicure and pedicure first before even considering a gel nail course.

Latest posts

Back