Why do pros use non pro products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Uh-oh... here I go... been awhile but I need to get onto soapbox to get this off of my chest.

Have been reviewing the lastest from Scratch and Nails (nice ones guys) and doing my usual scan o the articles to see whats up in the industry.

Something occurred to me...

Picture the scene... you walk into the exclusive XYZ salon... Celeb Hairdresser Mr. Bob is going to be doing your hair... oooo... you are excited... Mr. Bob is even going to be washing your hair... hell... thats rare. Mr. Bob is such a great hairdresser and all, until that is... he starts washing your hair in Fructus (or substitute for whatever cheesy cheap retail hair care line).

It seems that as of late, some techs seem to be using... errr... cheap retail lines on their clients for treatments. Why you ask?
You got me. Its a well know fact that consumer enamels can't even be compared to pro lines so why bother?
Is this how you 'progress' the professional industry? By using Boots bought .99p products?

In my opinion, it undermines a lot of the work the industry as a whole has done to raise consumer awareness about the professional industry.

On that note... looks like Marian Newman and her team kicked ass and had a kick ass time at the Fashion Rocks do... at least some professionals believe in the profession ;)

*steps off soapbox*

Well I for one can't see the point myself.....................
unless these High Street brands where paying me oodles of money to use their stuff.....and to advertise it ..........lol...............

But Professional is as professional does............
My clients know that I use creative professional products and lets face it.........It's brill stuff..................

This is my sales and salon service angle............. When they come to me, they are with a professional Nail Technician, using professional products, with professional expertise........Professional products that are only used and retailed by a professional....ME.................
As an after thought
I am a Creative Nail Technician not a boots17 or Revlon or No7 or Max Factor Technician......

Now you can shoot me , had my say lol
So yes Samuel, I know where you're coming from...........
Nice soap box, dead comfy too..............

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Well I for one can't see the point myself.....................
unless these High Street brands where paying me oodles of money to use their stuff.....and to advertise it ..........lol...............

Sure... for consumer advertising... makes sense.
You have British Hairdresser of the year pushing Dandruff shampoo... why not? But name dropping it in professional only rags? Doesnt make sense to me ;)

Is there any soap in this box anyway? I feel all dirty :D

Thats a good point, joe public is not lightly to see this ..............
Unless it's a forerunner for some publicity ???
Sorry used the last of the soap in the box to wash my uniforms...........

I think another factor as to why non-professional products are used is that some technicians, for what they think are good reasons, feel they should buy what their clients are already used to using so that they will not have to introduce them to a new product and will therefore make more sales more easily ... this is what they think, in my opinion misguided thinking.

Clients are far more likely to choose a similar colour to that which they already use, if they know they are now buying a better quality professional enamel at a more reasonable price. Longer lasting, better coverage, better brush, etc etc.

Professional products work better and you don't need to use so much of them to get the job done ie Enamel remover. They are easy to sell to the consumer and as trust grows between the technician and the client they are even easier to sell.

Sawasdee ka

i speak what i have inside not what i think because before i spend some big money buy what i think lady customer she think good and have name them know for sure .

But what i learn if u have product make very beautifull them happy so now i not do same before and have many i have 1 or 2 compamy product i in my heart this very very good and i speak customer this number 1 and them happy because i not think i know for sure .

Kop khun ka mui ka

looks like Marian Newman and her team kicked buttcheek and had a kick buttcheek time at the Fashion Rocks do

I was thoroughly enjoying watching Fashion Rocks, bopping away, gawping (with tongue lolled out :?.............ewww!) at lovely, lovely Robbie (ahhhhhhhhhhhhh)........ehm.....anyway back to what I was saying!

Along comes Skin (Skunk Anansie) singing brilliantly..........spotted her nails. She had her half moons painted black (I think) and I just thought....hmmm, I wonder if Marian Newman did those. Well there you go, it just shows you.

Dizzy Dellie

Hello there,

I've just come accross this thread and I would just like to say that I worked on Marian Newmans team for the Fashion Rocks event...It was an amazing experience and got to meet some fantastic people, Robbie, Jay K, Milla Jojovich, Bryan Adams, and Bryan Ferry to name but a few..We used proffesional products because we are proffesionals and Yes we did have a kick ass time and we did a kick ass job...The nail enamels were supplied by Marian and I used my own base coat, top coat and cuticle oil all from Creative, but I did use Star nails nail wipes and NSI nail files. We had a fantastic day:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I was assigned to the Models for Julien McDonald and Ralph Lauren

Got some fab pics, but don't know how to attach them to this thread, when i find it out i will put them on.

Amanda

Lily said:
Hello there,

I've just come accross this thread and I would just like to say that I worked on Marian Newmans team for the Fashion Rocks event...It was an amazing experience and got to meet some fantastic people, Robbie, Jay K, Milla Jojovich, Bryan Adams, and Bryan Ferry to name but a few..We used proffesional products because we are proffesionals and Yes we did have a kick ass time and we did a kick ass job...The nail enamels were supplied by Marian and I used my own base coat, top coat and cuticle oil all from Creative, but I did use Star nails nail wipes and NSI nail files. We had a fantastic day:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I was assigned to the Models for Julien McDonald and Ralph Lauren

Got some fab pics, but don't know how to attach them to this thread, when i find it out i will put them on.

Amanda
You met Robbie..................ooooh.................ehem, I've just picked myself off the floor........you lucky, lucky lady!!

Adele

okay shoot me now - i use Revlon polishes now and again. Reason I used em and loved em for years i.e. pre nail tech era started...95% of time i use Sats Attitudes or Creatives polishes...but most of my clients have never spent more than £3 on a polish and just dont want to part with either £6.00 or £8.00 respectively for a polish no matter how lovely the packaging, colour or application - what can you do? at least they are willing to buy the oil thats the main thing - sorry gone of thread a bit here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back