Why dont they stay on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoPearce

Reaction score
I've been doing my sister's nails for a little while now and they have been a complete battle. The baine of my life.

She says they just ping off (yeah right!) and always has an excuse for it happening. This time it's the nit shampoo (niece got nitts) it dried them out and 2 have pinged off.

My prep is fine, I scrub fresh, nail fresh, scrub fresh and add acid free primer and still problems. My ratio is ok as no one else has these problems.

The only thing I have noticed, is on occassions, when I'm doing a re-balance the nail looks secure with no lift and as soon as I start filing the whole enhancement comes off. She then say's thats what happens to her.

Any advice would be great. I was thinking of chopping her fingers off.

is it gel? do you tip? sculp?

I've been doing my sister's nails for a little while now and they have been a complete battle. The baine of my life.

She says they just ping off (yeah right!) and always has an excuse for it happening. This time it's the nit shampoo (niece got nitts) it dried them out and 2 have pinged off.

My prep is fine, I scrub fresh, nail fresh, scrub fresh and add acid free primer and still problems. My ratio is ok as no one else has these problems.

The only thing I have noticed, is on occassions, when I'm doing a re-balance the nail looks secure with no lift and as soon as I start filing the whole enhancement comes off. She then say's thats what happens to her.

Any advice would be great. I was thinking of chopping her fingers off.

I have a client like this, she is easing them off (she says) cos they've got lift. Personally I think she is using a crowbar - there are marks on her nail where she is pulling them off. She is the same with gel and L&P. Her excuses are washing her hair, wringing out cloths, different hand cream.........I've forgotten the rest.

is it gel? do you tip? sculp?

I use Creative L&P and have tipped and sculpted on her. I find tips suit her better as she was a bad nail biter when younger (although she doesn't now) and find it hard to fit forms to her.

I have a client like this, she is easing them off (she says) cos they've got lift. Personally I think she is using a crowbar - there are marks on her nail where she is pulling them off. She is the same with gel and L&P. Her excuses are washing her hair, wringing out cloths, different hand cream.........I've forgotten the rest.

It's annoying when they make up excuses. The only thing with my sis, is the filing and coming clean off. Does puzzle me?

Hmm this is a tricky one, if none of your other clients have the same problem. How much do you charge her, being your sister? i bet you give her a massive discount or even do them for free ? I wonder if she would have the same problems if she had to pay full price for them ??? Only other thing i can think of is is she applying oil just before she comes to have her nails done ? are they too long? Or are they really really damaged from all the 'pinging off' ? you can't build a house on dodgy foundations !

Have you noticed any damage to the natural nail? If she was/is a nail biter, then I reckon she's loosening them with her teeth. I know I can be guilty of this myself:o, which is why I can always see the signs on clients.

Kate, I only charge her £15 no matter what, so if she has lost one or needs a new set £15 is all she pays. Although, I do charge her the norm for solaroil. I do think it could be the foundations as some nails have signs of damage. I do wonder if she was going else where, would we have this problem.

I have suggested that she has a rest and I manicure them for her until they are in a better condition to see if this was the real problem but she wont have it, she wants nice nails. She doesn't have them long and she only likes a natural looking Z1 which I use geeg's secrect mix. She hates the P&W look.

The thing is, I dont think she is a picker as I have never seen her do it and when she comes to me the nail is either OK or completley off. No in between, You know when they have picked the lifting and cant pick at what's secure so z3 is all jagged looking.

The other thought I have is she just doesn;'t suit L&P.

Have you noticed any damage to the natural nail? If she was/is a nail biter, then I reckon she's loosening them with her teeth. I know I can be guilty of this myself:o, which is why I can always see the signs on clients.

She does have damage to her nails but i'm just not sure if she bites them off as I've never seen her do it. but hey, I only see her one or twice a week and I'm going by what she tells me.

I know it's a silly question, but what would the signs be if she did bite them off. Would the plate look different then just lifted off?

could be oil on the nail plate so product not adhering properly. Cant think of anything else logically, if its a clean sweep off

I'd go with chopping her fingers off! :D

Seriously tho... my model for my L&P foundation was a cannibal. There were *no* nail beds for the product to adhere to and no matter how I did them or what prep I did they always "pinged off" after just a day or two. I eventually decided to try the "heavy artillary" so to speak. :D I bought some Radical monomer and had a go with that! Unbelievably the buggers lasted a week before they fell off! A miracle!

Anyhoo... just suggesting that perhaps you try another monomer or summat. Just a thought! :o

Seriously tho... my model for my L&P foundation was a cannibal. There were *no* nail beds for the product to adhere to and no matter how I did them or what prep I did they always "pinged off" after just a day or two. I eventually decided to try the "heavy artillary" so to speak. :D I bought some Radical monomer and had a go with that! Unbelievably the buggers lasted a week before they fell off! A miracle!

Anyhoo... just suggesting that perhaps you try another monomer or summat. Just a thought! :o

She has nail plates although quite small (same as me, it's a gene thing) and ski jump (from years as biting as a kid). I always use ret+, but the last set I used was radical.

Now when they ping off, it's after at least a week or more of wear. never after a few days. Just spoke to her and she lost 2 mowing the lawn on Saturday, Now this set had been on for 2 weeks.

The chopping off the fingers is getting more appealing.:twisted:

You know what...family don't always make the best clients....:lol:

They tend to not look after them quite as they should...often for 2 reason...

1) they are either free or cheep
2) cos they think you can fix them as and when.

I would start with making them shorter.

Like Kirsty, I switched to Radical and my clients nails are staying on much longer.

The thing is, I was using Retention before, and had no problems at all, not even a trace of lifting on about half of my clients, yet the other half complained of nails pinging off, full set fallen off within days etc. Now I'm not blase enough just to think all these clients are liars, and whilst I think I'm doing the job right, there may just be something I'm missing, so I've booked some skill building and 1 to 1 training to see if I can improve on anything. In the meantime the Radical is doing the job, but these are the heavy duty nails, and although you dont need to use primer with Radical, I am doing just in case.

I'm sure some of these clients are not being as careful as they could be, but I'd like to make sure my application techniques are'nt letting me down too.

Personally I would go back to using Retention + on the next time you do her nails and then see how they fare! Obviously dont use the primer then with Ret+.
If its not happening to other peeps then its a mystery with her hey!

I think you are always gonna have clients saying they just pinged off, they fell off in the bath etc etc etc, and as Angie says its not helped by the fact that she is your sister, I now flat out refuse to do my SIL's nails, pain in the you know what!!

Anyway, try Ret+ and see how the nails are then!

xxxxxx

Thanks for all your help. I'm seeing her Friday and will see what state they are in and try some of your advice. Hopefully no more will pop off by friday.

Do you know what I'd love to say to her to go get her nails done else where, but she likes how I do them and where she lives there are no techs that do custom blend Z1. Also, she has supported me with all my training, so it's a 2 way thing. Sisters ehh!!

The only thing I have noticed, is on occasions, when I'm doing a re-balance the nail looks secure with no lift and as soon as I start filing the whole enhancement comes off. She then says that's what happens to her.
That sounds more like pocket lifting to me.

Does she have slight ski jump nails?
Or could you have missed some lifting previously and worked over the top of it?

[ its not helped by the fact that she is your sister, I now flat out refuse to do my SIL's nails, pain in the you know what!!

Anyway, try Ret+ and see how the nails are then!

xxxxxx[/quote]

Same as, I had a falling out with my mum over her nails last week,we are speaking again now,I have enough of clients messing me about with their appointments,and I tell my mum about it..what does she do mess me about with her appointment,asked for a free set aswell coz shes been looking after my daughter over the half term too.So now shes removed them and I think were gonna call it quits now.

That sounds more like pocket lifting to me.

Does she have slight ski jump nails?
Or could you have missed some lifting previously and worked over the top of it?

Yes, she does have slight ski jump nails.

I dont think I have missed any lifting as some times I would be applying a new enhancement. Pocket lifting? It could be, but I dont get this on other clients, could this be due to her ski jumps?

could this be due to her ski jumps?
Most definitely, as her nails grow upwards they force a separation between the nails and the overlay, one of my clients has this and we're lucky if she has all 10 on by the time of her next appointment! She has it on 4 of her nails but now I reduce the length of her natural nails and tip as opposed to sculpting and replace every 4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back