Would You All Do It Again

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOULD YOU DO IT ALL AGAIN?

• Yes - I have such a passion for the Nail Industry

Votes: 237 91.5%
  • No - Training costs too much

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • No - Nail Technicians are so poorly paid

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • No - The market is too saturated with nail technicians

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
I know that when I entered the nail industry, I didn't realise the hard slog I had ahead of me to become a competent nail technician nor did I realise there'd be so much competition.

I have a passion for nails so like to think that I would still have pursued a career in nails despite all the hard work, emotional drain, cost involved, etc.

Would you still have pursued a nail career if you realised what was involved?

Absolutely!!

And I do not think that nail technicians are badly paid or that the market is saturated or that training is too expensive.

When I consider the money that can be made by a good nail technician, I think that the training is absolutely cheap. I also can't think of many industries where the cost of product is only 13-20% of the cost of the service as it is with nails.

What I do think is that too many people go into the industry taking it far too lightly and with no idea of how to go about starting a business or how to maintain it once they have started it. I think most enter the business completely underfunded and are totally unrealistic about exactly what is involved in the nail business.

The attitude of so many is, "Oh nails!! That sounds nice. A salon!! That sounds fun." and have no conception of what is really involved or how serious a business it is.

I guess ive only just started on my journey, but im determined to carry on, keep going - and hopefully one day ill be up there with all the ladies and men i really look up to on this site. It is hard work, and some days i could throw my brush in the bin ... but i carry on !!

geeg said:
Absolutely!!

And I do not agree that nail technicians are badly paid or that the market is saturated.
Nail technicians can certainly earn a very lucritave income if they are self-employed but I have not come across a job as a nail technician which pays as much as I think first class training and hard work deserve.

I do believe the market is over saturated with nail technicians in some places but, even if that is the case, there is always demand for great nail technicians.

Urban Geek said:
Nail technicians can certainly earn a very lucrative income if they are self-employed but I have not come across a job as a nail technician which pays as much as I think first class training and hard work deserve.

No one is ever going to be paid, by someone else, what they think they are worth.

If the person has had first class training and is willing to work hard and is GOOD at the job, then they should be working for themselves. If for some reason they cannot, then neither can they expect to get paid more than the going rate by someone else who is footing all the other expenses and overheads of a salon etc. That is business.

geeg said:
When I consider the money that can be made by a good nail technician, I think that the training is absolutely cheap. I also can't think of many industries where the cost of product is only 13-20% of the cost of the service as it is with nails.

What I do think is that too many people go into the industry taking it far too lightly and with no idea of how to go about starting a business or how to maintain it once they have started it. I think most enter the business completely underfunded and are totally unrealistic about exactly what is involved in the nail business.

The attitude of so many is, "Oh nails!! That sounds nice. A salon!! That sounds fun." and have no conception of what is really involved or how serious a business it is.
Totally agree Geeg!

no questions id definatley do it all again.... i love my job and our growing industry...

i am like most of us geekios.... we are obessive abt nails and hense why i end up geeking practically everyday... i may not always post but i have to have a wee looky...lol

Have to agree with Chris, I totally love what I do but I have to laugh when I look back at how I had no idea of what I had ahead of me when I started out! It has taken more persistence than I realised to master what I do to a point where I feel confident in charging top dollar. I love that I never get bored doing nails and my job still challenges me daily, which seems to surprise people who can't believe I gave up a high pressure job in the executive sector to "just do nails". (yes I've had that said to me!!) Once doing nails gets in your blood, your hooked and I look forward to a long and exciting future in this industry! So to the girls and guys starting out be patient with yourselves cause it will pay off.

yes I would do it all over again, the only thing I would do diferently would be to finish my NVQ, as when I got a job in a salon I never completed it and now its all changed and I would have to start from the begining.

Im only just starting out so there is lots more hard work to come. When I booked on my foundation course I must admit I had no idea how hard it would be and what a skill it is. This is a good thing though IMO! I am so glad that it is such a skill and it takes so much practice and experience to become competent because it is such a challenge and will keep the passion for it alive as theres so much to learn. I can't see an end to it ever which is such a good thing, theres always going to be something new to learn. Yes the best training costs money but it is so worth it, especially when you've been unhappy with your career before, like me!

So I know I have only just started my journey but Ive voted anyway that Yes, I would definatley make the same decision over again!

i would totally do it all again..but, i would have started alot earlier but then i didnt really know anyhting about the nail industry then.
i am a do-er i cannot sit still for a minute and this industry is just perfect for me as well as absolutely loving this job it isnt stagnent you can go on on and learning more and more, which keeps someone whom gets bored very easy, on my toes......luv it

i voted yes, i wouldn't change a thing apart from (like Joanne) finding nails a lot earlier than i did.

Yes I would do all again. I simply love what I do. No other job enables me to work around my family ( i work 9 - 3 during the week, and start again at 5.30pm), I'm my own boss and I get my daily fix of a good natter.....can't be bad.

Unlike Joanne, I don't think I would have put so much work into this business if I was in my early twenties. The experience I gained in my previous job has helped me enormously in setting up on my own, after all, producing great nails is only part of this job.

If only i'd done this years ago!

I'm totally in love with all thing nails. I love my job - it's the best job in the world & i would not want it any other way!

As i said the only thing i wish is that i'd not spent 25 years in the advertising business & started out in nails instead

I'm passionate about it & i go to bed thinking about nails, dream about nails & wake up thinking about nails - still!

I have never yet thought -' Awh god - i've got to do 3 rebalances & a new set today boo hoo!'

Yes, it's cost money getting to where i am, with stock & equipment & uniform & vehicle and stuff, but it's been great searching for it all and finding everything & finding this site too!

Lovin it:D :D

Yes, I would do it all again but in a different way. I would pay for good reliable, informative training with a respected and well known company right from the start. I initially wasted my money doing what many if us do by doing a 2 day course which in the end cost me as much as decent training would have done and meant I had to pay again for better training with CND.

*JOANNE* said:
i would totally do it all again..but, i would have started alot earlier but then i didnt really know anyhting about the nail industry then.
I so too wish that I'd pursued a nail career when I was younger - about 20 years younger. Even at that young age, I am sure I would have developed a strong passion for nails. I just didn't realise what I was missing LOL:)

Tracey4046 said:
So to the girls and guys starting out be patient with yourselves cause it will pay off.
I wish I had said this because it is what I would have loved to have heard in the early days.

All those newbies, keep striving to be the best and you'll win through:hug:

I love this job,there are always new things to learn,you can never get bored in this job.there was never a day that i regretted doing nails.Nail Geek fuels my passion for nails even more.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

I would definately do it all over again, only better!
I would get the best training right from the start, no messing about spending a fortune on duff products etc...and thats it!
I love doing nails!
(even when I hate it lol!)​

I'd definatley do it again too! The only thing i'd do differently is to have more training sooner, rather than later!

Latest posts

Back