Yell.com Business advert?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Rabbit

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to ask all you geeks out there on what you think of the yell.com business advert that you pay a sum off money for, which in return when people go on to search engines for mobile therepist you and so many other company's pop up for clients to call....

Do any off you geeks use this and is the amount they charge worth it? Would love to here from anyone who uses this or has used this in the past....:confused:

Thanks guys in advance xx

How much are they charging for their service just out of interest?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Ruth

its at a discount off £395 + vat. What do you think or is there a better way to build up my buisness? x

i have a free ad with yell and have not had one phone call. They call me up all the time and after every ad i place on gumtree being pushy and every person tells me im getting a special offer because im a straight talking kind of person or some other silly reason lol it makes me laugh and they all have told me different prices ranging from £10 per month to £700 a year.

I think its much better to get a good website and get that out there and if done the right way your website will easily come up on google. My ad on gumtree and vivastreet also come up on google when looking for a nail technician in my area and they are free.

Have you tried the free ad on yell? Ruth Mills designed my website for me and its been great and im sure it will be even better for business when i get my net bunch of flyers out hth xx

Seems expensive to me if that is an annual charge. I know of several geeks who have advertised on Gumtree and other free indexes; I would consider it prudent to give those a try and see if they bring in more business before committing yourself to paying out that amount of money.

Running web statistics software such as Webalizer or Google Analytics for your web site is also a useful way of seeing which marketing strategies are most effective (for bringing in hits to your web site). Although Webalizer is free software, it is reliant on your web host to install and configure it for your web site. But Google Analytics only requires the addition of some extra code to the HTML of your web site, and no web server configuration is required, as the code just fires off requests to Google in the background from the person's web browser who is viewing your site.

The web statistics would show you how many hits are coming in to your site from which links over a given period of time, so you would know how many people came in to your site from a link on Gumtree in a given month, for example. So you would be able to tailor your advertising towards the links that bring in the most hits.

If you do wish to pay for advertising, then Google AdWords may turn out to be a more economical option. I think it works on more of a "pay as you go" basis, so would not require such a huge capital outlay as yell.com - your advertisements would appear on the right hand side of Google searches, and also on other web sites that have signed up to show Google advertising (The Salon Geek site itself, and some of the Freewebs sites that geeks have on here are examples of sites that show these Google adverts).

Hope that helps :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I advertised with Yellow Pages and yell.com alongside eachother a few years back and had loads of enquiries from Yellow Pages but only a few from yell.com, also the ones from yell.com were not always from the area I covered. The following year I dropped the yell.com entry and had just as many enquiries from the Yellow Pages, so my advice would be not to bother and put your money either into Yellow Pages or maybe somewhere that someone else can recommend.

They charge a lot of money and this must work for you. Ask around, if people in your area use yell.com very much?

Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

MOST of my business is repeat or word of mouth but i must admit my yell.com advert has also generated a stack of business.. i love it and highly recommend it as if you use google the yell.com advert also comes up

MOST of my business is repeat or word of mouth but i must admit my yell.com advert has also generated a stack of business.. i love it and highly recommend it as if you use google the yell.com advert also comes up

I agree with Raquel, not that I have used it myself but my friends salon has had a great response from their recent Yell.com the UK's local search engine - search for United Kingdom businesses ad. Having a website is a must tho from what I can gather so that's my next step before I go for it. My friend has also taken on Appointment-Diary.com - Online Appointment Diary and Scheduling Software and has found clients are logging on via yell and booking appointments there and then!!

Running web statistics software such as Webalizer or Google Analytics for your web site is also a useful way of seeing which marketing strategies are most effective (for bringing in hits to your web site). Although Webalizer is free software, it is reliant on your web host to install and configure it for your web site. But Google Analytics only requires the addition of some extra code to the HTML of your web site, and no web server configuration is required, as the code just fires off requests to Google in the background from the person's web browser who is viewing your site.

The web statistics would show you how many hits are coming in to your site from which links over a given period of time, so you would know how many people came in to your site from a link on Gumtree in a given month, for example. So you would be able to tailor your advertising towards the links that bring in the most hits.

Hope that helps :)
Posted via Mobile Device[/quote]

Hi Ruth

Im not that good with computers and internet, I know you design website for a lot of geeks on here. When you design them is the above details poart of the package & would I get my own domain name that will popup staight away on a search engine site like gumtree???? Sorry for being so think:confused: and could you remind me off your price again..
Thanks doll xx:)

Just a super quick response. I advertise on yell.com, google adwords and gumtree - all effective. For Yell.com I pay £10 a month direct debit for a link to my website. This means I am put above all the free adverts and means I'm not paying the extra for a tiny bit of info about me when my full website is just a click away.

Mat

Just a super quick response. I advertise on yell.com, google adwords and gumtree - all effective. For Yell.com I pay £10 a month direct debit for a link to my website. This means I am put above all the free adverts and means I'm not paying the extra for a tiny bit of info about me when my full website is just a click away.

Mat

Hi that sound more resonable to afford. Do you get a lot of business from the above three and do you pay adword and gumtree to?? I am not up to spead on advertising. I need all the help I can get please:confused:...

Who did you get your website from and does it cost alot?

Thank in advance xxx:)

Mat

I do the same and it works well for me, definitely pays for itself

Hi, i advertise in the yell for £125.35 and that for the year. I just pay a one off payment. Iv had a few clients from it , but mostly now my clients come from word of mouth. I think its still a good price to pay to have a advert in as i was paying nearly £1000 on your for a BT advert :eek: Once i gt a website up and running il be sticking to that :hug:

I do the same and it works well for me, definitely pays for itself

how do you do the £10 advert iv eonly ever ben told about £600 when they ring?

also where on gumtree do you advertise?

i'm going to advertise in yellow pages and yell.com but i wont be paying, my partner is builder and he paid £5,000 for half a page ad in yellow pages and he didnt have any work off it the year be4 he had a one line free entry an he had loads of phone calls off it so thinking bigger ad more business but no it didnt work like that, but he's be running his own business now for 5 years an all his work is from recomendations so i think take advantage of the free stuff and like some others have said get a website ...only my opinion ..:hug: ... he's gone back to a free one line entry still gets phone calls from it ......:smack:

i'm going to advertise in yellow pages and yell.com but i wont be paying, my partner is builder and he paid £5,000 for half a page ad in yellow pages and he didnt have any work off it the year be4 he had a one line free entry an he had loads of phone calls off it so thinking bigger ad more business but no it didnt work like that, but he's be running his own business now for 5 years an all his work is from recomendations so i think take advantage of the free stuff and like some others have said get a website ...only my opinion ..:hug: ... he's gone back to a free one line entry still gets phone calls from it ......:smack:

Maybe having too big an advert will make people think that you'll be expensive (compared to people with smaller ads) - as that expensive advert has to be paid for somehow!

i think your right with the big ad but the building firm he worked for be4 had a full page ad which cost the £12,000 a year an they had loads of calls so thats why he bulit it up over the years then splashed out on a fancy ad an no calls it was well strange, then he went back to a free 1 line an the calls kept coming lol i'm just glad he's in work what with being a builder the way everyone is struggling for work at the mo :hug:

Latest posts

Back