Your children and chores ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joe who is 12 gets £2 a week as he goes to high school on the bus he likes to buy bits and bobs, bacon barm gingerbread man from school tuck etc.
ashley 10 and paul 8 get £1 a week.
if they have been really good they get a comic or something.
like ang says over the hols they dont get pocket money because..icecream van or if we go to the shops they might get a lolly ice or a packet of sweets etc.

my boys atm get £2 a week, but this is to be reviewed each birthday, atm they don't really go out and about much so we don't often shell out for the cinema etc, but we have said that when they get to an age where they are wanting to do more things then we will up their pocket money (and stop paying for these things) so they will have to learn to start budgeting.

Well I had a very colonial upbringing in the then Rhodesia (Zimabwe) In that part of the world we were (and still are) privileged to have had domestic servants. They washed the laundry and ironed it, cooked the meals, made tea and served it, washed up after meals, swept, dusted, mopped whilst the gardener mowed, weeded, watered, composted and washed the cars.

My mum insisted we washed our own bras, nickers etc as all our domestics were male, and we had to make our own beds too. But I know alot of kids didn't and I thought my mom was cruel for making me do this:irked:.

Privileged? Spoiled rotten? Perhaps, but that was the way of life which also provided jobs for people who otherwise would have had no work and therefore no salary. We were expected and taught to treat our domestic workers with respect and to appreciate what they did, so my attitude towards their job was a healthy one. I believe in 'don't ask somebody to do something you are not prepared to do yourself'.

Before I got married I went to live in the USA with my 'now hubby' and found the way of life so different in that there was no domestic help. Had to do everything myself. Didn't bother me though. The same goes for living here in the UK although I do get help once a week for a few hours with ironing and cleaning.

However, my cleaners job is to clean and NOT tidy. So both my kids are expected to help with laundry, washing up, tidying their rooms, preparing veg, feeding the pets and picking up dog poop etc....... They don't get paid for it as it is expected of them. Our 13 yr old does get pocket money but this is to teach her how to budget etc..... as we don't buy her everything. If she wants to go to movies then she has to pay for it out of her money. If she can't afford it, then hard luck!

I think all this teaches them basic values which they will need later on in life.

Interesting thread Babs.

My eldest whose - my 6yr old gets pocket money, my youngest whose three does not as she has no sense of value as yet - but we make sure she gets equivalent treats.

Both children do age appropriate chores. I try not to link chores to pocket money as I think they should do learn that this is because they are part of the family - not just for what they can get.

On the other hand I think children at some stage need to learn to appreciate money and they only do so by earning or making it themselves.

It is difficult to get the equation right- guess there's no right or wrong answer!!!

My kids are all grown and gone now :cry::cry::cry:........
But when they were younger and at home I had them "helping" out since they could literally walk......picking up there own toys and such (1-4yrs)....and as they grew older ...depending on their age they would do everything from making their bed everyday! to the dusting to vacuuming ,help with meals,setting table (5-10 yrs)......when they got to be teenagers (13-18yrs)they had to do there own laundry ,help with making meals,doing yard work,ect....as well as getting a job at 16 to provide the extra $$$ they wanted.....and taught them to balance school /job/ social life.......being lazy is unacceptable in my house......

I never paid my kids to do chores.....this is part of life...everyone has to do it ....I believe and told my kids....Filth is not an option....you live here to and it should be clean.....
sure they would complain...all kids do.....but it taught them responsibility....and they had lessons they learned from it ......you make your bed everyday....or mom will strip it.....don't put things under the bed....or mom will throw it away.....

Now they are good responsible adults who can care for there own bills ......live in a clean house.....and make there own food.....

isn't that what we should be taught from our parents anyway?

My kids aged 17 and 11 dont have chores that they have to do, I had chores has a child but have never made mine done any. They do help when asked and the youngest one will just ask me what needs doing and do it.
Both my kids get £9 a week pocket money.:)

all my kids do chores, and have done since they could walk, they dont get pocket money as such, just help them by going halves with them if theres something they want (they get pocket money from nan and grandad etc) they are good at saving so if theyve been good we help them out,

they all have behaviour charts and if they havent tidyied their rooms aor sone their jobs that day, they dont get it on their charts, which may mean they cant watch tv or play ps or pc that day, so they tend to be ok, tey load /unload washing machine/drier etc, help me with ironing , but putting it away, hoover , polish, unpack shopping etc, make their own beds (older ones hlep littlest) , they help with gardening and each have chores like taking recycling out, emptying bins or feeding the rabbit

it helps them to look after themselves, when i had an op on my arm 3 yrs ago, they pretty much had to fend for themslves whilst tom was at work, and they did it fine, and i know they will be more than capable of looking after themselves in uni or in their own place etc, and i think its doubly as important for boys, they have to learn to do thier fair share, and mine certainly do
get the odd moan occasionally, but generally they like to help me, we have fun whilst we work, music on etc, tell jokes, make games of it,

good thread hun xxx

My 2 don't do anything, although they will if I keep on. They always complain they don't get pocket money and say well you don't do anything to earn it! My daughter who is 14 is worse than her brother for keeping her room tidy. I must say though my boy (13) helps more that she does.

Better start trying harder!

DebO

My two boys dont do anything around the house, that was up until I read this. It will all change from tonight though. I do everything from wash, iron put their clothes away even down to their socks and pants, pick up toys after them both. I am ashamed to say that I do it all. :cry:
I do agree that it does give them a sense of responabilty and be a little more independant.

(I have now found out why I feel cream cracked all the time):lol:

The same as you mate!!
I have just been reading this thinking OMG my son of 10 does not do a thing around the house really!!
He will do a half attempt in his bedroom if I ask him to tidy it but I have to go back in.
I have just decided that I am going to NOT ASK but tell him from now on he can do a bit too help. He gets a bit of pocket money so It will do no harm to have a few chores will it? now what do I hate doing the most........!!!!!!:)

Just out of interest how much does your child do around the home,i.e washing

up,hoovering,ironing etc?How old were they when they started to help out?Do you have

the opinion that it's unfair or wrong to ask children to do any chores?Is this how they make their pocket money?It's interesting listening to my kids telling me what their friends DONT have to do.:irked:
Hahahahahah yah i got to say i do make my kids do there bit to get there pocket money... my oldest son joseph he is 10 and he hoovers there bedroom on a sunday my middle son lewis he is 8 he brings all there bedding down on a sunday morning n my 6 year old daughter jade puts all the undies in hers and the boys draws .. they get £5 each a week xxx emily xx .

If I ask anyone here to do anything they either do it wrong or take so long I tell them not to bother and do it myself.

ahhhhhhh haaaaaaa
Therein lies the problem, if it takes too long, or it's done wrong; you do it?
You see? They know how to get around you.

Just like men "honey, I dont know how to cook. Honey, I don't know how to change a diaper, I can't do it, I'll be sick" etc...
I tell him " if you can manage a warehouse at work, if you can drive a car,if you KNOW how to use a computer (WHICH is MUCH harder than passing a broom or doing dishes) THEN YOU can do 'whatever' "

Beat their butts Judy and best them at their own game. If so-and-so likes 'blah blah' a certain way, say "I dont know how" or take too long, or do it wrong.. then maybe they'll see your side of the coin and/or do it themselves :lol::twisted:.

You're a softy, give'em H**l LOL

Evie will be 2 in november and she already has little jobs!
She has kinda taken them on herself though!!

JOB 1 - when i put the washing in the machine, i put the tablets & softener in the drawer and then she sets it going by turning the dial and pressing the button

JOB 2 - She stands at the washing machine while i stand at the drying machine, she passes me all the washing so i can put it in the dryer!

JOB 3 - She helps unload the dryer as i fold the clothes

JOB 4 - She puts her toys away in her toy box when asked

JOB 5 - She helps me 'polish' the furniture! she has her own little pink cloth!!!

JOB 6 - She feeds her goldfish each morning

I'd like to add that all of the above are done under supervision!

She's getting very good at doing other little bits like when I say 'pass mummy the reote control' she goes and gets them!!!!

I can't wait til the baby is born because she is going to be such a little helper!

I remember when my friends mum left her husband and moved out the family house...my friend was going mad saying how selfish her mum was leaving them all.

I had to go round there to show them how to use the washing machine, drying machine, dishwasher and cooker....yes you read it right! none of them knew how to use any of the appliances (except the fridge!) dad was in his late 40's, my friend and her sister were both in their 20's....can you imagine getting to that age and not knowing how to use a washing machine!!!

From that moment on I appreciated the fact that my mum gave me and my brother 'life skills'!!!!

I have noticed that in the past when I have asked my son to do tasks around the house he does them so bad that I then tell him not to bother and end up doing it myself!!
However after reading some of these threads I think that is now a bit of a get out clause for them!!!
So I am no longer going to be detered by this! So what if I have to go back over it, and least it will get him doing something, and also if he notices that I am not complaining about how bad he is doing it he might do it better!!!!!!:)

When my 3 are doing the dishes, (1 washes, 1 dries, the other 1 puts away) and this is done on rotation each time, if the washer leaves food on plate, it gets rejected, and if the dryer leaves soap bubbles its rejected, so they all have to do the dishes properly.

I tell them if it's not done right they'll continue to do it til they get it right. Practice makes perfect!!! :lol:

I am a great believer in chores. As far as I am concerned We are raising future adults not children :) My understand that for them to have all the luxuries they enjoy (clubs etc) they need to pull in with us. It also gives us more time together as a family at weekends.

my son is 14 and he hoovers the stairs/halls twicw a week (3 storeys) washes up every night and cleans the kitchen down including the floor. Loads the washer/tumble and hangs washing out. Is responsible for putting new bedding on his and his sisters beds once a week and hoovering both bedrooms. He can cook very well and also iron.

My daughter is 9 and she clears the dinner table each night and dries up and puts away. Tidies her room and strips the beds in her and her brothers room. Also polishes both rooms once a week. She keeps the shoes and coat corner tidy. Lays the table for dinner each night.

My son get £5 a week and if he wants more he will do extra chores or works down the salon :) I also pay for fencing lessons , all the kit and any of the various water sports he is into (surfing and scuba diving at the mo!) My daughter gets £2.50 a week in which she donates £1.50 to the dolphins the rest goes on DR WHO! She also dances 4 times a week which gets paid for and the kit, swimming , violin, the list is endless and expensive!

They dont complain as they understand that things have to be earned, including time. If I had to all the chores and work I would never have anytime with them or take them to the various activities. Also by them helping I can work and afford these activities :)

I remember when my friends mum left her husband and moved out the family house...my friend was going mad saying how selfish her mum was leaving them all.

I had to go round there to show them how to use the washing machine, drying machine, dishwasher and cooker....yes you read it right! none of them knew how to use any of the appliances (except the fridge!) dad was in his late 40's, my friend and her sister were both in their 20's....can you imagine getting to that age and not knowing how to use a washing machine!!!

From that moment on I appreciated the fact that my mum gave me and my brother 'life skills'!!!!

PMSL! Erm... I wonder why she left ????

my grandaughter who lives with me is 4 years old, and she has to tidy her room and also make her bed (this is being carried on from her mother). i get her to put her ironing away too. she also helps me get the washing out of the washing machine and put it in the tumble. only little jobs, but she thouroughly enjoys it, and i feel it makes someone so little feel soo important

I dont have children yet, but i really believe that kids should do chores around the house, and it really sets themselves up for later in life.
My mum started full time work when she divorced my dad, when i was about 9. Me being the only girl with 3 brothers, did a lot of chores before my mum came home from work. I recall my mum getting up about 5 in the morning to prepare our dinner for after school. My brothers got away with doing nothing. This really shows later in life, as even when they had come back from being at university, it would still be a real struggle to get them to do anything. Even now my 27 year old brother who still lives at home, complains about helping out, saying "Its your house" to my mum when he is asked to do anything.

Latest posts

Back