Your weight loss secrets!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amys-beauty you need to get yourself a set of dumbbells. I'd recommend 4kg for squatting to begin with, working your way up to 6kg and then 8kg. Don't waste your money on a Kettlebell, dumbbells are far more versatile :)

Thankyou Zoe. I dunno what I have now, I just found them but they are so light, I don't feel it's doing anything. So why not a kettlebell? Would you use it for any other exercise?

Compare it to sugar. Or pop it on your scales :) I'm gonna hazard a guess it's 1/2kg or 1kg possibly 2kg at most.

Well, you don't want to spend a tone of money on stuff you might not use. I find dumbbells a lot more versatile. And most of the things you can do with a kettlebell you can do with a dumbbell (squats holding dumbbells by your side, over your shoulders, in front of your chest etc) to alter the movement, vary the position of your legs & the way you hold the weight. Close together, wide etc. (sumo squats with side kicks are good!)

Then you're thinking of your abs. You can plank with a dumbbell whilst lifting a weight. Great for back, core & abs. I think this would be tricky with a kettlebell. There's a couple of others too.

The it'll be your arms, which is where the dumbbells really come out above the kettlebells. You can curl, do triceps etc and this, I'm my opinion is what makes a dumbbell a more versatile piece of gym equipment.

Oh and I didn't even mention dead lifts!

Oops! You're unleashing the inner gym & fitness freak in me ;)

Compare it to sugar. Or pop it on your scales :) I'm gonna hazard a guess it's 1/2kg or 1kg possibly 2kg at most.

Well, you don't want to spend a tone of money on stuff you might not use. I find dumbbells a lot more versatile. And most of the things you can do with a kettlebell you can do with a dumbbell (squats holding dumbbells by your side, over your shoulders, in front of your chest etc) to alter the movement, vary the position of your legs & the way you hold the weight. Close together, wide etc. (sumo squats with side kicks are good!)

Then you're thinking of your abs. You can plank with a dumbbell whilst lifting a weight. Great for back, core & abs. I think this would be tricky with a kettlebell. There's a couple of others too.

The it'll be your arms, which is where the dumbbells really come out above the kettlebells. You can curl, do triceps etc and this, I'm my opinion is what makes a dumbbell a more versatile piece of gym equipment.

Oh and I didn't even mention dead lifts!

Oops! You're unleashing the inner gym & fitness freak in me ;)

Have you seen my arms? Kettlebells are all I use! I squat, curl press (bicep, back amd front of shoulder), kick back (tricep and back), bicep curl, bent over row, overhead extensions, halo, figure 8 catch, halo to hip, 90 degree shoulder press.. all with the added advantage that kettlercise engages the core and burns up to 1000 cal an hour. Plus kettlercise has an after burn of 48 hours compared to the 1-2 hour after burn of standard weight lifting!
I dead lift, russian twist, overhead leg extenstions, single leg squat... the range of what you can use a kettlebell for far outweighs the dumbell :
A plank hold with a row (a renagade row) is much more effective with a kettlebell then a dumbbell because the shape of the kettlebell is more ergonomically suited and also engages your abs more :)
If you are going to use free weights ignore the "women should do small weights and lots of reps" myth. Woman should lift like men! Woman simply do not have the testosterone to get bulky unless they are following a bulking diet plan.

I need to strip fat with some hiit cardio but you can see I have good shoulder definition just from kettlercise :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1401229037109.jpg
    1401229037109.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 331
http://www.womensfitness.co.uk/fitness/450/kettlercise-and-kettlebells

The woman in this video are using a 4kg. Great starting point but as I am strong I went with a 6kg by my 3rd class. I now use 10kg for isolation ans 12kg for compound (swings etc).
I am doing a HCore class tomorrow with 5 other advanced kettlercisers- it is where you use 2 at the same time eeekk.
Honestly, you wont look back if you swap your dumbells for either a kettlercise class or a kettlercise DVD. Be prepared to not walk for a few days after your first time though :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1i8-F95TgQ

Have you seen my arms? Kettlebells are all I use! I squat, curl press (bicep, back amd front of shoulder), kick back (tricep and back), bicep curl, bent over row, overhead extensions, halo, figure 8 catch, halo to hip, 90 degree shoulder press.. all with the added advantage that kettlercise engages the core and burns up to 1000 cal an hour. Plus kettlercise has an after burn of 48 hours compared to the 1-2 hour after burn of standard weight lifting!
I dead lift, russian twist, overhead leg extenstions, single leg squat... the range of what you can use a kettlebell for far outweighs the dumbell :
A plank hold with a row (a renagade row) is much more effective with a kettlebell then a dumbbell because the shape of the kettlebell is more ergonomically suited and also engages your abs more :)
If you are going to use free weights ignore the "women should do small weights and lots of reps" myth. Woman should lift like men! Woman simply do not have the testosterone to get bulky unless they are following a bulking diet plan.

I need to strip fat with some hiit cardio but you can see I have good shoulder definition just from kettlercise :)

I think Amys-Beauty is looking for some bits to have at home to get her started. She'll need to start on low weights, low reps and increase it until she gets correct form. Otherwise all she'll do is injure herself. I deadlift 120kg on the cables so i'm not suggesting that low weights high reps is the best, i just think that's how Amys-Beauty is best starting out.

I agree Kettlebell classes are good, however for someone starting out, i would recommend purchasing Dumbbells as i personally find them far more versatile. That said, if there's a Kettlebell class in your area it's well worth going along. (We have none locally unless you join a private gym, which i don't as i'm fortunate enough to have a gym at work)

I've got to 17% bf and I've not even finished my cut yet and I personally love Dumbbells. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, it's just about figuring out what works best for your body. Everyone is different. You'll also need to vary your movements/reps/weights as your progress will slow down once your routine becomes monotonous.

I think Amys-Beauty is looking for some bits to have at home to get her started. She'll need to start on low weights, low reps and increase it until she gets correct form. Otherwise all she'll do is injure herself. I deadlift 120kg on the cables so i'm not suggesting that low weights high reps is the best, i just think that's how Amys-Beauty is best starting out.

I agree Kettlebell classes are good, however for someone starting out, i would recommend purchasing Dumbbells as i personally find them far more versatile. That said, if there's a Kettlebell class in your area it's well worth going along. (We have none locally unless you join a private gym, which i don't as i'm fortunate enough to have a gym at work)

I've got to 17% bf and I've not even finished my cut yet and I personally love Dumbbells. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, it's just about figuring out what works best for your body. Everyone is different. You'll also need to vary your movements/reps/weights as your progress will slow down once your routine becomes monotonous.

If I were getting started then I would invest in a kettlebell DVD and a 4kg Kettlebell. Takes up far less space then a load of dumbbells ;) burns more calories, is far more versatile and can be used for compound moves as well as isolation. You can't jump swing with a dumbbell but you can do everything with a kettlebell that you can with a dumbbell.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/11/7-strength-training-myths-every-woman-should-know/

If I were getting started then I would invest in a kettlebell DVD and a 4kg Kettlebell. Takes up far less space then a load of dumbbells ;) burns more calories, is far more versatile and can be used for compound moves as well as isolation. You can't jump swing with a dumbbell but you can do everything with a kettlebell that you can with a dumbbell.

7 Strength Training Myths Every Woman Should Know | Nerd Fitness

That link was really interesting.

7 Strength Training Myths Every Woman Should Know | Nerd Fitness

Haha yes you can :D I do this! You just turn the weight on it's side and hold it from the end :)

To conclude, get either they both clearly work! ;)

Haha yes you can :D I do this! You just turn the weight on it's side and hold it from the end :)

To conclude, get either they both clearly work! ;)

But it wouldn't swing, you would be lifting it with your shoulders. A kettlebell swing is a lower body exercise ;)

I can't lift at the moment but I swear by yoga and Pilates and eating clean. I eat whatever I want as long as it's not processed. I do home made hummus, guacamole, salsa, pizzas, burgers, mayonnaise. All home made from organic ingredients. Low sugar, low dairy. All natural and clean. Heaps cheaper than my old shop. £3 for a jar if Bolognese or 50p for a box of organic passata. Healthy eating is not expensive. I get a veg box, fruit and meat from a farm. No middle man, no extra expenses makes it so much cheaper. You do have to get used to eating seasonally but its fun. I've eaten things I never heard of before.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

But it wouldn't swing, you would be lifting it with your shoulders. A kettlebell swing is a lower body exercise ;)

I'm not gonna argue with you. I know what exercises i do. I was only trying to help Amy's-beauty & share my experience with others.

Feel free to come along to my gym & watch my workout ;)

Thank you ladies! Interesting read :) my weights are a pathetic 1kg! I went to the gym today and struggled with the 4kg weights, but the 2kg was also a little light! I need a 3kg ;) I did lunges with kettle bells which felt good! Unfortunately it was only a day pass at the gym with my friend, I enjoyed it very much. There's lots of kettlecersize(?) classes in my area so may just try it out n see.
I went on the vibrating power plates today. Was an interesting feeling! What do people think of them? I don't really understand what they do?

I have one at home. Last time I went on it I ended up in hospital for 5 days. .. ha. It's now a dust collector.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not gonna argue with you. I know what exercises i do. I was only trying to help Amy's-beauty & share my experience with others.

Feel free to come along to my gym & watch my workout ;)

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that your opinion was the only one that counts. You advised against investing in a kettlebell, I advised she should. Not an argument, just different advice. ;)

Thank you ladies! Interesting read :) my weights are a pathetic 1kg! I went to the gym today and struggled with the 4kg weights, but the 2kg was also a little light! I need a 3kg ;) I did lunges with kettle bells which felt good! Unfortunately it was only a day pass at the gym with my friend, I enjoyed it very much. There's lots of kettlecersize(?) classes in my area so may just try it out n see.
I went on the vibrating power plates today. Was an interesting feeling! What do people think of them? I don't really understand what they do?

Do it! It is absolutely amazing! You can burn 1000 cal whilst increasing joint mobility, evening out weakness in balance, strengthening your core, burning fat. The major advantage is that you do moves in kettlercise that you do in everyday life. My big brush blow drys have even got better thanks to my increased shoulder mobility and grip strength.
I am just back from my first Hcore advanced class- two kettlebells at once, it was epic! Especially with Metafit straight after. My body is going to be a fat burning machine for the next 48 hours... as long as I can stay away from malteesers ;)

Do it! It is absolutely amazing! You can burn 1000 cal whilst increasing joint mobility, evening out weakness in balance, strengthening your core, burning fat. The major advantage is that you do moves in kettlercise that you do in everyday life. My big brush blow drys have even got better thanks to my increased shoulder mobility and grip strength.
I am just back from my first Hcore advanced class- two kettlebells at once, it was epic! Especially with Metafit straight after. My body is going to be a fat burning machine for the next 48 hours... as long as I can stay away from malteesers ;)

And I use kettlebells whilst on the power plate :) just to add resistance, you could use dumbbells too :)

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that your opinion was the only one that counts. You advised against investing in a kettlebell, I advised she should. Not an argument, just different advice. ;)

You're so rude it's unreal.

Anyway, Amy's-beauty I'd definitely say give the class a crack. They're good fun & working as a class is always more motivating than going it alone. You'll also pick up some moves which you can incorporate into your own routine. :D

Yes, I'd say definitely go for the 3kgs, it's not worth pushing yourself too soon with the weights, if you don't master the form, you won't see the benefits & that's when you risk injury. I started on 2kgs (was as low as our gym goes) and then up in 2kg increments. 2kg at a time is a good steady increase. You can also tweek the reps and sets. I tend to go for 15reps 3 sets on a new weight, then increase to about 20 reps 3 sets, then change weights.

Re the vibration plates. I don't think there's any substitute for hard work and a clean diet. I've not really looked into them, but I'm guessing if they were a miracle fix we'd all be using them. (Or maybe we are and I've missed that trick!) ;)

There is a couple of events on facebook starting 1st and 2nd June, 30 day abs challenge and 30 day weight loss challenge.

I've signed up to the abs challenge, I just need to retone, I've got lazy since I stopped Boxercise, I've still got tne upper body tone, just need to sort out the lower now

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

There is a couple of events on facebook starting 1st and 2nd June, 30 day abs challenge and 30 day weight loss challenge.

I've signed up to the abs challenge, I just need to retone, I've got lazy since I stopped Boxercise, I've still got tne upper body tone, just need to sort out the lower now

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not on Facebook Khs. What does the abs challenge involve? I can manage sit ups.:)

Latest posts

Back