Yuko/Permanent hair straightening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samantha1981

Reaction score
Have any of you had this done? Results?

A friend of mine told me about it because i asked her due to annoyingly curly hair....... aparently they use the same stuff as perming but dont use rollers?? This might have been someone lying to me.... because at the time i didnt even know it was real!! But any hooo would u really want it permenantly straight..... saves time but wat happens when you want to curl it... nightmare probally!! That wat made me change my mind and stick 2 strighteners!! xXx

My aunt has had this done a few times now, the first time was great - but the most recent time she did it, her hairs has started to snap off and fall out quite dramatically.

client of mine had this done, but it left her hair in appaling condition.

but then again, maybe her hairderesser was not too good ?

I would love myn doing as my hair is really thick and kinky!! lol
I'm gonna get it cut on Thursday, think I might get it really thinned out and quite a bit taken off the length as it's kinda bra strap length at the moment!!

Anyone got any pictures of some nice hairstyle and colours (I'm mousey brown at the moment)?? I don't want to go too short but I don't really know what I want!! what am I like!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

I had my hair straighted about two weeks ago by the hairdresser I work with so it was cheaper! There are perks to this job - lol.

I am really pleased with the results. I don't have curly hair but it swells to about three times its size when there is moisture around - does anyone remember Christaltips and Alistair!!!

I do still need to use the straighteners after I have dried it, but if I want to I can leave it to dry naturally now then quickly flick over with the straightners, had it done for my holiday in 6 weeks. Used to take 40mins to do my hair - and its short, now about 10 - much better.

Regards
Anne

DON'T have it done, i use to work in a hairdressers who do it and it recked my hair totally, made it really dry kept snaping and it still is now and i had it done about two years ago. and it only relaxed it a bit and mines not even that curly really. so don't do it not even a different make.

I'mm trade my stick straight hair for curl ......:rolleyes: anyone? ....

melissaq said:
I'mm trade my stick straight hair for curl ......:rolleyes: anyone? ....

YES PLEASE!

I did chemically straighten my hair once myself, Im a qualified hairdresser by the way and yes its the same process as perming but you comb the thick cream through, it worked for me but it didnt leave my hair in a very good condition afterwards so I wont be doing it again, saying that any chemical process dries out your hair somewhat.

I disagree with the negative opinions about the Yuko (Ukon) system..

I have had the yuko(ukon) straightening system done continously for 6 years now.. i get it done once every year and my hair is NOT damaged and NOT breaking..

The ukon system is not to be mistaken for other straightening system.. its is a different technique and will leave hair frizz-free.. shiny and managable if done properly...

this system was originated from Japan and have been popular in the far east countries for about 10 years now... the technique involves chemicals but is nowhere as harsh as your average straightening chemicals usually used..

once its done then its there... it doesnt actually come out - it grows out - ... which is the reason why i only need to do it once every year... the system flattens the surface of your hair and although chemicals are used.. the finished result is spectacular.... the hair is left soft.. shiny.. dead straight and manageable...

There has been many myths about this product.. i think because the people using it in this country is not as experience as you need to be to use this product.. unfortunely.. it is not a product in which you can learn today and use it at its best tomorrow.. it is a product which will only give you spectacular results thru experience....

There has been many talks about how acrylic damages your nails.. but the truth is that acrylics DO NOT damage your nails - its the technician who damages it.. It is the same for the Ukon system.. the actual ukon product does not damage the hair.. its the hairdresser who doesnt have enough experience with the product who damages the hair..

It is not a simple system to use... there are 3 stages.. and all 3 stages are as important as the others.. it is important for the stylist to identify the clients hair closely and adapt each stage according to the individual...

for example.. the first stage of the process is to apply a relaxing lotion to relax ( soften and remove the frizz/curl) the hair.... usually... this process takes about 10 mins.. but that is only on normal healthy and strong hair... if your hair is weak then maybe only 5 mins is needed... or if your hair is coloured.. then a 'apply and wipe' technique is neccessary as some of the hair ( the coloured ones) are weaker than others.. or if you have fine hair.. you must be careful not to apply the lotion right up to the roots of the hair cos this will cause breakage from the roots..

every stage is different according to the individual.. if you standard your control of the ukon with everyone.. then yes.. you will get bad results.. some people will get breakage.. some people's hair will not be straight...etc...

I have seen Ukon go wrong.. done by a stylist who has years and years of cutting experience but new to the Ukon.. she was just not experienced enough to use the product.. and yes.. like acrylic nails.. if it is not done properly.. it will damage your hair..

The Ukon system has been popular in the far east for 10 years... it is still going strong today and there are hardly any salon who do not offer this as a service.. if it was that damaging to your hair.. then i think the craze would have phased out years ago..

I have tried this product out first hand for a long time.. and i have had many compliments from people telling me how straight and healthy my hair looks..

If any geeks out there who are interested in trying the Ukon.. then i suggest you try and find an oriental hair salon.. they have been using the system for 10 years and they will have more experience of the product..

Here is a random website that explains a bit more about the ukon system.

go-straight - Yuko system hair straightening by an expert

hope this helps....

DON'T have it done, i use to work in a hairdressers who do it and it recked my hair totally, made it really dry kept snaping and it still is now and i had it done about two years ago. and it only relaxed it a bit and mines not even that curly really. so don't do it not even a different make.

Sarah, Iam going to point out that your hair is your story and does not apply to everyone. You experience with this could have been operator error? could be that the strength of the straightener was too strong for your hair, could be that You didn't do proper after home care..There are too many variables for you to say that it doesn't work and it damages everyones hair.

2 years later of breakage is a bit distressing and I am thinking that you need a good consultation if your hair is still breaking off. Sounds to me like you are needing good multi vits and conditioning treatments.

The salon I worked in used yuko. The results were good. As long as its done by a reputable salon you shouldnt have a problem. It is not perming lotion and has a few no no's like it cant be used on bleached hair at all and not with certain colours. I would always recommend a consultation apt with the salon first.

could be that the strength of the straightener was too strong for your hair

yes.. i would also like to point out that the Ukon straightening system not only comes in makes and brand... they also come in different strengths...

if the wrong strength is used on your hair.... then it will either

a) cause breakage or
b) the end result is not straight ( i.e hair is frizzy)

I have seen both inexperience mistakes..

Hello girls, I have not ever relaxed my hair, because this is what you are talking about, but in theory.....
Relaxer is always alkaline and you apply it to your acid liking slightly acid hair. If you put alkaline on your hair, on any hair, your cuticles will lift from your cortex and this will damage your hair. This has nothing to do with any particular system, this is the chemistry of the hair.
If your relaxing has gone wrong and it often does, then it might be for several reasons, it is hard to pin point the guilty one. But one thing is for sure, your hair will be weaker as a result of alkaline treatment and your hairdresser should recommend regular protein treatments if you decide to relax your hair. And remember, this is like nails, once you have it done, you have to keep doing it, because the new growth is officially stronger and if you don't do your roots, they might break. If you have any doubts I will give you a good advise....if your hairdresser does not have lots of experience on relaxing the hair, go and talk to afro hairdressers. They usually do it quite a lot and they could give you the accurate and correct advise on how to look after it and which products to use.
Me, I love my curls and would never think swapping them into a straight hair. :eek:

Hello girls, I have not ever relaxed my hair, because this is what you are talking about, but in theory.....
Relaxer is always alkaline and you apply it to your acid liking slightly acid hair. If you put alkaline on your hair, on any hair, your cuticles will lift from your cortex and this will damage your hair. This has nothing to do with any particular system, this is the chemistry of the hair.
If your relaxing has gone wrong and it often does, then it might be for several reasons, it is hard to pin point the guilty one. But one thing is for sure, your hair will be weaker as a result of alkaline treatment and your hairdresser should recommend regular protein treatments if you decide to relax your hair. And remember, this is like nails, once you have it done, you have to keep doing it, because the new growth is officially stronger and if you don't do your roots, they might break. If you have any doubts I will give you a good advise....if your hairdresser does not have lots of experience on relaxing the hair, go and talk to afro hairdressers. They usually do it quite a lot and they could give you the accurate and correct advise on how to look after it and which products to use.
Me, I love my curls and would never think swapping them into a straight hair. :eek:

hello nora.. thank you for your explaination..

can i please ask then... why is it that after 6 constant years of using the Ukon system on my hair.. it is still strong.. smooth and shiny....?? i accept the fact that chemicals are damaging to the hair... but im also eager to know why ukon chemicals are not damaging my hair.. is there a chemical explaination for this....??

there are 3 steps to the ukon process -
stage 1 - apply weakening ( relaxing) lotion
stage 2 - straighten hair using special straighteners
stage 3 - applying neutraliser to 'set' the hair

are the stages in straightening afro hair exactly the same...?

The Ukon system can be used on every single type of hair except afro hair.. can it be then that the chemicals used in the ukon system is different to afro hair relaxers and straighteners....? that they work a different way considering the fact that ukon can not be used on afro hair...??

Sorry Anna, I was on the holiday and could not reply to you. I have never used Ukon system, so I am not aware of the chemistry of the product, but I assume that the process is the same than any other system. When you relax the hair, it is the same process than the curly perm, but officially you want to have an opposite effect. In order to change the shape of your hair permanently, you need to use alkaline that penetrates the cuticle, and this goes to afro, european, asian, any hair. If you have after 6 years still strong and shiny hair then you are very lucky, I have washed hair that literally falls off when washing it because the hair gets weak after repeated relaxing. Officially as in any treatment in the industry aftercare is really important. I would think that you are following your hairdressers instructions exactly, which is good. Enjoy your hair and if it is shiny and shaft then well done, I do not comment on systems that I don't know. AS it goes to chemicals in the system, I would not think that the are that much different, but the hair types are different. I would think that on the natural virgin state afro hair is much stronger than european hair and the relaxers that are used then would be stronger ( this is only a gues, so if anyone knows better, please correct me). But when relaxed repeatedly, it gets really weak and does break easily.
I will be a hairdresser so I will do any hair european or afro, I am a white chick braiding.....which turns some heads around. :)

hello nora.. thank you for your explaination..

can i please ask then... why is it that after 6 constant years of using the Ukon system on my hair.. it is still strong.. smooth and shiny....?? i accept the fact that chemicals are damaging to the hair... but im also eager to know why ukon chemicals are not damaging my hair.. is there a chemical explaination for this....??

are the stages in straightening afro hair exactly the same...?

I use the wellastrate on afro Caribbean hair
and also on the regrowth which I prefer to be 6-8 inches as you have to straighten the hair in little sections with the hot irons too , but this is optional depending on how curly your clients hair is.
It takes a long time,but he results are fantastic
the condition and shine is great
my clients just love it.

Price wise is the yuko or ukon dearer than the wellastrate?
because the opinions on the internet a while ago, said wellastrate is just as good in all aspects ,:) minky

just a few stories about YUKO that i have seen with my own eyes (i am a trainee hairdresser and qualified beautician)

1.) my cousin (fine, abundant, arm length, wavy hair)
looked great for 1st 3 months, then hair started to break off- she wouldn't touch it again with a bargepole !!!! she looked after her hair perfectly after YUKO as she is very much a perfectionist (just to give an idea of how meticulous she is- she now has been havin extensions for 2-3 years and even the hairdressers cannot believe how well hers last compared to other peoples, not to mention the extensions haven't damaged her hair one bit!) she contacted YUKO headoffice who wouldn't refund but just looked at her hair and said the system wasn't applied right- even though she had it done at a registered YUKO salon.

2.) my best friend (medium coarse, abundant, below shoulder length)
hair broke off after 5 months, the middle section mostly- looked like it had been club cut in the middle- there is not way she would do it again either!

3.) my cousin's friend (coarse, dry, wiry abundant hair)
loved YUKO system and had no probs with it- she had it done a couple of times with no contra-actions.

i hav heard quite a few horror stories of hair breaking within months of having the YUKO system done. in my opinion from the cases i have observed, i would say that there are some people who this system can suit time and again- but those people are not very common.

if u ask me if i would have it done, as i have thick curly hair- i would say not a chance in hell! my hair might be curly which is time-consuming, but its firmly on my head, which is where i like it, not stuck in the bath drainhole!

in my opinion either this system is flawed in some way, which explains the amount of bad experiences i hav encountered or this is a system that is extremely complex to master, hence making it pretty dangerous as i can see there are quite a number of horror stories right here from other geeks.

HTH

love n hugs 2 all, big kiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back