13 year old wanting nail extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi there fellow geeks,
as some of you know I havent been doing nails for very long and have just had a mum call me to book a spray tan and nail extensions for her and her daughter.
I dont think it is as bad as it sounds at first. It's her 13th birthday and having a party over the weekend and wants fabulous nails and a tan. Mum will be there to sign disclaimers etc. The daughter has never had false nails before ( and probably won't again unless for a very special occasion) and neither has mum as she has natural long nails. I explained that I would not be too happy doing acrylic or buff off gel on a youngster as no oxygen will get to the nails etc. I suggested soak off gel but the girl has her heart set on long nails. What would you girls suggest as the least damaging extensions to offer that would last for a few days at least. Would fibreglass or silk be any "healthier" ? I am just concerned that all the buffing and soaking involved in removing the gel or acrylic could be detrimental but dont want her going to someone else who might not care as much. Am I just being a worrywort?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Nikki

If someone 13 asked me I would check my insurance.
If that allowed you to I would ask yourself would you let your daughter/sister have them?
Many younger girls would not know how to look after them and follow the correct aftercare for most nail enhancements.
I personally would only do Minx or polish on someone that young x

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Far too young, regardeless of insurance. Not only is she still growing but she won't have the ability to keep them up. 16 is the youngest I allow in my salon.

Too young, she won't be able to look after them & could badly damage her nails if she knocked them, picked them etc. then she will tell her friends they were rubbish once she has wrecked them :irked:

If someone 13 asked me I would check my insurance.
If that allowed you to I would ask yourself would you let your daughter/sister have them?
Many younger girls would not know how to look after them and follow the correct aftercare for most nail enhancements.
I personally would only do Minx or polish on someone that young x

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek
My thoughts exactly, I suggested Minx to her. I think the best thing to do is either a mini-mani and a glitter tip french nail polish.That way she still gets the pamper experience as a treat for her birthday.
I was not comfortable at all with the idea of doing extensions on such a young girl. Maybe her mum can buy some false nails from the supermarket and do them herself if she is so set on long nails.

i think she's too young, she could do permanent damage to her nails as she would'nt know how to look after them. as the others have suggested minx or the like would be a great option for her. to avoid problem/argument with the mother just explain that she has to be 16 or your insurance would be invalid and you couldnt take the risk.

I wouldn't do them either maybe a minx mani or lovely French polish.maybe some crystals or gems.far to young for enhancements as they need to be looked after well.

I just wanted to add though op that no extensions are damaging to the nail as long as they are applied correctly and taken off correctly and the client uses the correct after care. Xxx

I know what you are saying but I do think that such young nails could be more prone to "damage" as they are still in their formative years and I dont like the idea of soaking them in chemicals and all that buffing. They get SOOOO impatient at that age. I had a 25 year old the other day trying to pick gel off her nails while I was soaking, imagine a 13 year old

I had a similar issue last year.

JemmaB - PEFRECT - This was the advice I was given by the Geeks and my policy states 18 years old.

Because you say this is a 'one off' she is not likely to come back to you for a professional removal so I just know there will be picking and biting off of the enhancements. Then, before you know it, angry calls from the Mother telling you it's your fault!

If you do it (just the once) you may be inundated by calls from her friends and how do you say no to them after saying yes to her?
I know we are all trying to run a business but is it worth the grief?

There are salons out there who care not about Training, Products, Age or Standards. Don't be one of them! (Please)

Hi there fellow geeks,
as some of you know I havent been doing nails for very long and have just had a mum call me to book a spray tan and nail extensions for her and her daughter.
I dont think it is as bad as it sounds at first. It's her 13th birthday and having a party over the weekend and wants fabulous nails and a tan. Mum will be there to sign disclaimers etc. The daughter has never had false nails before ( and probably won't again unless for a very special occasion) and neither has mum as she has natural long nails. I explained that I would not be too happy doing acrylic or buff off gel on a youngster as no oxygen will get to the nails etc.

I know you say its been awhile scine you did nails but If you believe that the nails need oxygen then you Shuld not be doing enhancements on anyone till you get some refreshed training ,

Kids don't follow after care , but never do alot of adults ,

A set of L&P nails will soak off nicely at a follow up appointment ,

If for what ever reason you do not feel that you want to work on a child or that you feel you are not up to the job then maybe it's best to find her someone that can do it safely and advise her to go there?

Or she will probably end up at the local chop shop getting them done anyway,

Why not do it (insurance allowing and parent sighed consent ) as a package deal only.

Enhancements at full price ,
Profetional Removal at full price
And a solar oil mini as b day gift .

This way removal is booked payed for,

Solar oil supplied

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of soaking them in chemicals and all that buffing. They get SOOOO impatient at that age.

Sorry , did you say your doing there spray tans to ?
If so why is that ok with you but nails are a big deal?
Just curious :)

Sorry , did you say your doing there spray tans to ?
If so why is that ok with you but nails are a big deal?
Just curious :)

I can't see the bit about tans mizzy :)

Hi there fellow geeks,
This bit

My personal feelings to kids that age having nails are a big NO, I would never allow my daughters to have nails done at that age...but this isn't MY daughter. I have no right to tell another mother what she should and shouldn't let her 13 year old daughter have...so if her mother is ok with it then who am I to say otherwise.

Sorry mizzy found it, thanks Unas xx

Thank you everyone for the sound advice. Glad my instincts were correct. Insurance is a VERY valid point and I didn't even think of that to start, also MEtoyouNAils, you are right, what do I do when all her friends start calling. I defenitely don't want to end up new to the industry with a bad reputation in place.

Much appreciated
Nikki

Mizzy_Dizzy, I am only Spray tanning mum as I dont spray younger than 16. Was just checking if I was being over vigilant on the nails as I see plenty websites advertising Princess Parties for youngsters doing nails, eyelashes, tans etc... my existing tan clients are more mature.25+so I havent had to refuse anyone for a while, but only starting out on nails and here is an excerpt from my Gel Course notes. I misspoke saying oxygen. I meant air for the following....
"The disadvantage of gel nails is that they are difficult to remove as the product is
non-porous, therefore a lot of buffing is required at the removal stage. The fact that
the gel is non-porous also makes it the most damaging overlay to the natural nail as
natural moisture cannot escape - this also increases the risk of fungal infection
forming underneath the gel, which can happen if the gel or tip has not been correctly
applied." to allow moisture to escape.
Hope I put it the right way this time

would temporary tips not be an option with soak off gel for abit of support, if its only a few days they're needed for then they should last shouldn't they?? obviously insurance is the main concern firstly. to be honest i would have thought a set of rockstar nails would be of interest to the daughter....most girls love blingy sparkly things right?? lol x

Mizzy_Dizzy, I am only Spray tanning mum as I dont spray younger than 16. Was just checking if I was being over vigilant on the nails as I see plenty websites advertising Princess Parties for youngsters doing nails, eyelashes, tans etc... my existing tan clients are more mature.25+so I havent had to refuse anyone for a while, but only starting out on nails and here is an excerpt from my Gel Course notes. I misspoke saying oxygen. I meant air for the following....
"The disadvantage of gel nails is that they are difficult to remove as the product is
non-porous, therefore a lot of buffing is required at the removal stage. The fact that
the gel is non-porous also makes it the most damaging overlay to the natural nail as
natural moisture cannot escape - this also increases the risk of fungal infection
forming underneath the gel, which can happen if the gel or tip has not been correctly
applied." to allow moisture to escape.
Hope I put it the right way this time

Oh wow

Ok with prep we dehydrate the nail plate and apply an overlay the nail will remain sanitized unless the enhancement is compromised

There is no air flow through any overlay system

And bacterial infections are farrrr more likely to occur on the fingers than fungal especially when it is being caused by a compromised overlay / trapped moisture , oil , water .

As for the last sentence there is not away to apply tips or gel to allow moisture to escape .

Buff of gels do need buffing off but as they are so hard and non pourus the enhancements using them are built thinly and don't take long to remove.

As a side going to super market and buying stick ons is probably the quickest way to get a bacterial infection :-(

Latest posts

Back