Acrylic rebalance in 20mins... is this even possible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolicatellas

Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for days.
I had a customer come in and tell me that a lady she knows went to a nail salon and got her acrylic re-balance done in 20mins. And the smile line was perfect. The salon owner has been in the business for 16+ years and is super good at her job and she uses a drill with skill. Apparently 30mins is her average.
Even so, can this really be done?
I thought I was doing well going from 2.5hrs to 1-1.5hrs :)

I've been wondering about this for days.
I had a customer come in and tell me that a lady she knows went to a nail salon and got her acrylic re-balance done in 20mins. And the smile line was perfect. The salon owner has been in the business for 16+ years and is super good at her job and she uses a drill with skill. Apparently 30mins is her average.
Even so, can this really be done?
I thought I was doing well going from 2.5hrs to 1-1.5hrs :)

wow, how fast ? maybe she is fast with a drill? and after 16 years exp, maybe it is possible, I would only consider using a efile for rebalance though, I'd never use one on the nat nail, good job I aint got 1 lol:hug:

It is possible, there are some techs that don't faff, they are like machines/robots, brilliantly skilled in drill techniques and application.

Trang from Odyssey nails can drill out a new free edge in less than a 2 seconds (i've seen him work and was gobsmacked) He doesnt have any videos on youtube, but there is a guy that has.

He's quite talented.
Now don't go and innundate this guy with slander and anonymous comments like you did with the guy in Canada in an attempt to drive him off Youtube.

Watch, learn and adapt to your needs.
YouTube - Acrylic Nails P&W Back-fill part 1

Well.... Who knows.. they could be good nails.

As for the guy here in Montreal.... the issue was him calling himself a "Master" while committing a tonne of sins.
If he had been a "Master", nobody would have been able to drive him off.

One thing I've been learning... L&P is faster than gel.

Last night, I removed a set of UV to apply a set of colour faded L&P.
Added some painted flowers.
All done under 2hrs. Removal plus new set with art.
I can't believe I managed it.

I figure once I get the hang of this, I'll be able to fit way more clients in my schedule.
Though I can't imagine ever doing it in 30min... weird.

ok it can be done in 30 mins but do you think he said 1 word to his client? no he didnt! My clients love me talking to them - I want to have it both ways but it doesnt work so I chose slower with a better relationship with my clients.

ok it can be done in 30 mins but do you think he said 1 word to his client? no he didnt! My clients love me talking to them - I want to have it both ways but it doesnt work so I chose slower with a better relationship with my clients.

My fastest nails took me 40 mins, no drill and no popits, both sculpts and infills (not clients but friends and relatives who were in a great hurry). It usually takes me longer, but it has shown me that it can be done, and that nails will be just as good as those made in hour and a half.

Me too like to have familliar atmosphere and my clients love that. But, some clients come for 'words', some came for 'work'. I have one that comes to me and 'adores me', as she says, but keeps the distance, in 6 months that she's been coming, she did not say her first name!

But that's how she likes it. And knowing your clients is as much as important as doing good job.

This is not meant against you, RedAdmiral :hug: you just made me think... and when seeing this fellow working, I think my clients would still love me if I did cut some 10 - 15 mins off of my procedure :green:

Not sure about doing it in 20 mins!!
But if they are proficient and good with a drill and do all the correct prep & procedure, then if they can do, why not?

Carl's link to the Youtube is a fantastic nail tech called Joseph Pham, from NY i think or something like that he's a top nail tech with OPI, if I'm not mistaken. I'm almost positive he's a geek on here too.
His work is outstanding - fantastic design stuff.

It is possible, there are some techs that don't faff, they are like machines/robots, brilliantly skilled in drill techniques and application.

Trang from Odyssey nails can drill out a new free edge in less than a 2 seconds (i've seen him work and was gobsmacked) He doesnt have any videos on youtube, but there is a guy that has.

He's quite talented.
Now don't go and innundate this guy with slander and anonymous comments like you did with the guy in Canada in an attempt to drive him off Youtube.

Watch, learn and adapt to your needs.
YouTube - Acrylic Nails P&W Back-fill part 1

His name is Joseph Pham and he is amazing Nail Tech. I am looking forward to Premiere Orlando in June when we will get together.

Hooray JPham! I have had the opportunity to go to 2 classes where he taught, and yes he is so insightful to the industry and full of tips and tricks, I left there overwhelmed by all the new info!! He showed us how to do a fill and yes he did it within 13 minutes or so (we timed him:green:) but he wasn't showing us this as a way to be faster, just as a way to be able to still make money and offer a service to a client that arrives impossibly late for their appointment. I hope he pops up and comments because he really has tons of techniques for improving speed without sacrificing quality.

I have to say i really enjoyed watching him, I phaf about and realise i take too much product off when doing my rebalances, it takes me 90 minutes to do my rebalances on a good day using an efile

I'm new to using drills I have a good one and bougth every bit there is I think, but don't know what their called. Can you tell me what a efile is.I have gotten the hang of using the drill now but I was very afraid at frist. Oh never mind I understand its short for electric file right. lol

I'm sure if I cut back on the chat then I could cut back on my time :lol: but I have to agree that my clients seem like to spend the time they are with me having a good gossip! I feel like it develops a little bit a loyality towards me as well, I think they need to get on with me as much as the nails or they wouldn't invite me back into their homes!

Kelly x

I am pleased you appreciate Joseph Pham (although Trang is faster) all you guys have to do now is get over your obvious racism (they are both Asian) and my comment is based on many many many posts in regard to Asian technicians and lumping them all together as NSS, ..........

appreciate their skills (recognise your lack of skills), build a bridge and get over it ...... some can rise above it and learn and others can't.

I for one appreciate their obvious talents .....

I always love watching someone else work, I think that you can always get something out of it, take it away and adapt it to suit yourself.

I have seen that video on you tube and am amazed at his speed. I don't use an efile though, am scared of them. :lol: However I can see how I could adapt this method hand filing. Rebalances are the things that take me the most time, although my timings are coming down now, well a bit anyway.

I do confess, after watching the vid again... it's scarey to me.
I took a small e-file course... but am thinking I need another at a different school.
I can't imagine ever using the e-file like that, so close to the skin. Scares the crap out of me. Particularly with that type of bit (sanding band)
BUT if I could... and not hurt the client and get the job done faster... NO PROBLEMO... I'd do it in a flash.
I need to work smarter and faster, I recognize this. I do notice that when I stop looking up to chat... I work more efficiently.

I even tell clients to remind me to "look down" and they laugh about it.

Only recently, have I started going closer to the eponychium with a new bit I ordered. meant for that area. And while I know it doesn't hurt... and do it to myself... when I've a client in front of me... I'm PETRIFIED... so I usually steer clear of the eponychium and sidewalls, debulk, and finish file by hand.
yes, I know hand files can be just as bad or worse, if used wrong.
It's the tech and not the tool.

And in case it was me (although I don't think it was) sorry if I ever made any sort of racist comment. In my own defense, every single one of the nss nail bars in my area are 100% asian. And I know, without a doubt, that they are 100% NSS.... Been in there, seen what's done and seen the results on clients that come to me now. It's not racism, it's an honest and true obersvation of what's in my town. I, in fact, slipped one time, talking about it with a client who IS ASIAN... and apologized... and she herself told me not to worry, and said herself they were all asian.....

This could be the case with others, making comments. So please, if I 'slip', keep this in mind.

Interesting that no one has had the balls to say his ratio is out ..... even though he is using a product they are not familiar with, just like the last guy that everyone bagged (who also happens to use OPI), I'm actually in contact with the fellow you guys badgered until he took his videos down.

Shame, shame shame.... someone wants to show you something different, a different technique, a different brush, then you pester him .... if it were men picking on women, lord knows what we are expected to think....

Oddly enough, I was once that man, the man with the flat brush (but I'm not Asian), all my old tragic videos are still on Youtube, I should have deleted many of them, but just like you guys, I hope I am still open minded and still learning.

Actually it's vanity that stops me from taking even the tragic ones down, I've had 1,340,591 hits and by taking the tragic ones down will negate my hits and bragging rights. :)

Sure, I've been pretty confident in the past (and still am), then I see the teaching skills of Geeg, the application skills of Antony, the competition skills of Thom, the artistic skills of Vivian, the innovations of Marian (hell I even love the demo pictures that Samuel does, nice hands, keen eye why wouldn't you) and realise anyone can be knocked on their ass in 5 mins, you could have a bad day, you could have a good day (competitions prove this) and giving them a wide berth is a great idea.

Consistency is so bloody difficult (consistency in doubt meets my needs sufficiently).:)

I actually appreciate everyones efforts (even the bad ones that think they are good), at least they love what they do.

I'd never be foolish enough to base it on race or sex, or even experience, there are techs in the business for 3 months that can run rings around those in it for 20 years.

You are only as good as your last nail, tomorrow is a different story.

I'm fortunate enough to be willing to put up bloopers (gawd they make me laugh), ......YET ..........

...a still picture, you have no time constraints and can hone that perfect nail for 3 hours (some still look like shyte, while others your idea of perfection) ......nails are often like beauty, they are in the eyes of the beholder (let alone tragic clients that prefer shovels) .....and heaven forbid those technicians game enough to say/critique "they look a little thick around the cuticle, (or eponichium) for the anal":)

We all do nails differently and everyone, oddly enough has an opinion on what looks natural (often not looking at a natural nail for comparison), but who am I to argue? ..... Then again, who are you to argue?

We/You/I/Them is just another variation or opinion based on our own perception.

I often throw stones through/based on boredom and to create interest, I'm not vindictive (I'm also too busy doing my own thing to be bothered), even though my mind is full of my own thoughts, for some odd reason I still ponder the reasoning of others, perhaps that's the sleeping part of my brain (which we all have) although asleep is apparently awake and bored enough to care.

Am I ranting, am I honest, do I care, do you care ?

Look within......

Jaysus Carl whats gotten into you? Maybe your ranting maybe your reflecting, maybe you just need to share. I for one think you need a challenge.
This thread is about rebalance in 20 mins, you've showed us how with the vid, sometimes you come across so haughty, shouting down from your ivory tower. This is a journey of discovery - what products suit me the best, how to get the best out of my clients, how to progress further and lastly how I can help or share.
Can you please tell me how YOU got your times down, I would bet that your like lightening - personally I'd love to stay all afternoon in your zebra salon and you'd have to throw me out!

I'd like to know more about what you are like as a tech cos really on here you dont say much at all.

I am pleased you appreciate Joseph Pham (although Trang is faster) all you guys have to do now is get over your obvious racism (they are both Asian) and my comment is based on many many many posts in regard to Asian technicians and lumping them all together as NSS, ..........

appreciate their skills (recognise your lack of skills), build a bridge and get over it ...... some can rise above it and learn and others can't.

I for one appreciate their obvious talents .....

Whoever they are, pink, black , blue , white, orange, yellow - British, African, American, Asian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Dutch, French - what the hell does it matter what colour/nationality/creed you are??? It's does not matter (to me) a jot.
What matters is skill - and there are many who are classed as NSS because they are of an oriental persuasion, that they are trashing nails - this is not always the case - as Carl has said.

I'm intrigued by the one ball method - that's a skill, but does it create a structured nail that is likely to last, not using banned products?
Now that's a question I ask myself?

Interesting that no one has had the balls to say his ratio is out ..... even though he is using a product they are not familiar with, just like the last guy that everyone bagged (who also happens to use OPI), I'm actually in contact with the fellow you guys badgered until he took his videos down.

Unfortunately I can't see the link. I do have balls although no-one sees them but me:)

Shame, shame shame.... someone wants to show you something different, a different technique, a different brush, then you pester him .... if it were men picking on women, lord knows what we are expected to think....

Carl it's nothing sexist men can suffer sexism in exactly the same way.

Oddly enough, I was once that man, the man with the flat brush (but I'm not Asian), all my old tragic videos are still on Youtube, I should have deleted many of them, but just like you guys, I hope I am still open minded and still learning.

Carl..people change so what if you thought this?

Actually it's vanity that stops me from taking even the tragic ones down, I've had 1,340,591 hits and by taking the tragic ones down will negate my hits and bragging rights. :)

Sure, I've been pretty confident in the past (and still am), then I see the teaching skills of Geeg, the application skills of Antony, the competition skills of Thom, the artistic skills of Vivian, the innovations of Marian (hell I even love the demo pictures that Samuel does, nice hands, keen eye why wouldn't you) and realise anyone can be knocked on their ass in 5 mins, you could have a bad day, you could have a good day (competitions prove this) and giving them a wide berth is a great idea.

Totally agree and know that you CAN be knocked down but MANY REFUSE TO BE!! AND YOU don't.....do you?

Consistency is so bloody difficult (consistency in doubt meets my needs sufficiently).:)

I actually appreciate everyones efforts (even the bad ones that think they are good), at least they love what they do.

I'd never be foolish enough to base it on race or sex, or even experience, there are techs in the business for 3 months that can run rings around those in it for 20 years.

You are only as good as your last nail, tomorrow is a different story.

I'm fortunate enough to be willing to put up bloopers (gawd they make me laugh), ......YET ..........

...a still picture, you have no time constraints and can hone that perfect nail for 3 hours (some still look like shyte, while others your idea of perfection) ......nails are often like beauty, they are in the eyes of the beholder (let alone tragic clients that prefer shovels) .....and heaven forbid those technicians game enough to say/critique "they look a little thick around the cuticle, (or eponichium) for the anal":)

We all do nails differently and everyone, oddly enough has an opinion on what looks natural (often not looking at a natural nail for comparison), but who am I to argue? ..... Then again, who are you to argue?

We/You/I/Them is just another variation or opinion based on our own perception.

I often throw stones through/based on boredom and to create interest, I'm not vindictive (I'm also too busy doing my own thing to be bothered), even though my mind is full of my own thoughts, for some odd reason I still ponder the reasoning of others, perhaps that's the sleeping part of my brain (which we all have) although asleep is apparently awake and bored enough to care.

Everyone can have a bad day mate.

Am I ranting, am I honest, do I care, do you care ?

Look within......

Hmmm yes I do care.....who else loves to rant??!!!
xx

Actually if you listen carefully you can hear his voice talking to his client. I had the pleasure of meeting Joseph last year at the Sydney expo and he is is one hell of a character with a wonderful sense of humor. He was also quite a yaffler so I find it hard to believe he would not speak to his client during a service.
I chat to my clients too, but keep my head down and dont look at them. I learnt so much from Joseph in the hour and a half I watched him. I went home and immediately shaved 20 mins off my times with hints and tips from him. I would love to do a course with him.
Cheers
karen

Latest posts

Back