Advice on horrible customer and employer taking the p?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger-lily

Reaction score
Hi, what a week ive had! Im selfemployed in a salon and the salon owner has turned into a total cow! She uses all my products (today walked in and my eyelash extension kit on the bed clearly used) leaves everything so messy that im always cleaning up after her and doesnt leave me a float in the till. She treats me like a receptionist and cleaner while she takes all the appointments and swans in and out! Anyway a few weeks ago she started moaning at me infront of a new client and went out, the client, who was difficult anyway, decided that she didnt like the shellac and moaned and moaned til I gave her it for free! Then she phoned up yesterday wanting a soak off and to rebook- so I refused to book her in and now shes complaining about me. She was such a stressful client and most likely looking for another freebie. Im leaving the salon cause im not happy but how do I go about this? Do I walk away or do I confront the owner? And any advice on the customer? Im so upset its knocked my confidence and I feel so taken advantage of x x

Hi, what a week ive had! Im selfemployed in a salon and the salon owner has turned into a total cow! She uses all my products (today walked in and my eyelash extension kit on the bed clearly used) leaves everything so messy that im always cleaning up after her and doesnt leave me a float in the till. She treats me like a receptionist and cleaner while she takes all the appointments and swans in and out! Anyway a few weeks ago she started moaning at me infront of a new client and went out, the client, who was difficult anyway, decided that she didnt like the shellac and moaned and moaned til I gave her it for free! Then she phoned up yesterday wanting a soak off and to rebook- so I refused to book her in and now shes complaining about me. She was such a stressful client and most likely looking for another freebie. Im leaving the salon cause im not happy but how do I go about this? Do I walk away or do I confront the owner? And any advice on the customer? Im so upset its knocked my confidence and I feel so taken advantage of x x

I can only speak as a business owner but firstly, do you have a contract and if so is there a clause about ending your working relationship? If not I would say you are not tied in. If I was in your shoes and definately going to leave I wouldn't confront her unless she asks for your reasons. I would
then offer to enlighten her about using your products and her attitude in a professional manner. Try not to be to defensive, even though you may want to scream and shout.

Secondly, how unprofessional to be moaning at you in front of clients. Some people really have no people skills.

Thirdly, why did the client end up getting a free Shellac? Was this based on the fact that she didn't like it colour wise, if so then surely that was her decision. Couldn't you have re-booked her in with "cow" as you say and let her deal with her.

Good luck

Umm.. Why are you still there? People like this rarely change. Save yourself the grief and start somewhere else.

nobody makes you give away stuff for free. that's your choice. it's not the clients fault, it's yours. maybe the client thought because you were worn down by the witch you work with that she would push her luck and see what she could get out of you? you've got to be firm... you're in business to make money, not lose it. if she didn't like the shellac then i would of said 'oh really? i think it's a great colour and it really suits you! but if you aren't happy with it then there's no problem changing it, it'll only cost an extra *insert price here* to change the colour' :D

i was always under the impression that when you are self employed you work on your own terms? otherwise you would be an employee and have alot less stress and holidays? maybe you should check through your contract and see what it says about leaving? if you haven't got a contract then i just wouldn't turn up and i'd leave her stuck. unprofessional? probaly. would i care? nup.
x

You are making an issue of this person being unprofessional so if I were you I would continue to show how ultra-professional you are!

Do NOT walk out and leave anyone in the lurch, not only is it unprofessional, you never know what will be said about you and to whom in the future.

If you think it is time to go then you should explain this to the owner and if she asks then you can explain why, quietly and with dignity - much better to leave on good terms no matter how angry you are, you never know what is around the corner and you should be known for your professionalism at all times.

The very best of luck for your future career:biggrin:

Do NOT walk out and leave anyone in the lurch, not only is it unprofessional, you never know what will be said about you and to whom in the future.

If you think it is time to go then you should explain this to the owner and if she asks then you can explain why, quietly and with dignity - much better to leave on good terms no matter how angry you are, you never know what is around the corner and you should be known for your professionalism at all times.

i doubt the owner is going to have anything nice to say about her regardless of what she does to be honest.

it's so sad that people feel the need to be horrible and put others down for no reason :( x

You are making an issue of this person being unprofessional so if I were you I would continue to show how ultra-professional you are!

Totally agree with with what is said here.

Just because the salon owner is being unprofessional doesn't mean to say that you should be either.

Go out with your head held high & have the satisfaction of knowing that if she DID say anything untoward, you know better.

If you are not under contract I would speak to the owner at the first opportunity and say that you feel that the working relationship is not what you want and that you will be leaving in 7 days time. You do not have to go into detail, but you are at least giving an opportunity for her to start a search for a replacement. Be professional at all times.

It is all very well saying this girl should leave with dignity etc - but this 'employer' is using her stuff without asking - therefore stealing! I am all for one giving proper notice and behaving appropriately but why on earth should she carry on like this?. The employer will not appreciate this anyway. I feel she will be leaving with her head held high as she is being true to herself - there is dignity in self respect as well.;)

I once worked self employed for a salon owner who unbeknown to me rented out my room and equipment on my day off to another therapist - do you think I hung around? Hell no!

ok ok i took all your advice and i cancelled the client saying that my shellac lamp was a bit funny and i wasnt offering shellac for the time being. this is true. the customer wasnt happy but too blooming bad as she was a chancer anyhow! so anyway, i walked into the salon at lunchtime and there was the customer sitting getting shellac done with MY STUFF! The salon owner looked up and said *my name* leave your key and get out. i said whatttt? your kidding? and she told me to get out otherwise she was calling the police! All the while she was sitting using my stuff with a salon full of customers.
I was so stunned i stupidly left my key and went away. I then burst intio tears and my sister who is also a therapist elsewhere came to get me and walked back to the salon, the owner then locked me out and phoned the police! The police came and there was a client locked in the salon and eventually the police helped me get my stuff out. What a total cow! I am soooo stupid for walking away. How dare she blacken my name and make such a fool out of me all the while using my things on a client i had cancelled!!! If i ever see that client again i will have to say something. I told you guys that the client was a vindictive cow! And the owner....pfft! She even had the cheek to tell the police i had her salon towels at my house. I had been washing them for her. 5 blooming bin bags! Cause she is too messy and lazy to do it herself. Clients are expected to lie on week oold fake tan stained towels. Oh i am so mad! She has pretty much ensured i dont get any work in my current town! i am a nice, good person and she has taken advantage! Beware!

i just wish i could name and shame the girl and her dirty horrible salon but luckily for her, i am a better person than her and I am not in the habit of blackening the names of others!

I am so sorry for you! OMG! You are so much better off out of there hunny.

Just as an aside, you could set up a twitter account under a different name, if you so wished...

Xx

ok ok i took all your advice and i cancelled the client saying that my shellac lamp was a bit funny and i wasnt offering shellac for the time being. this is true. the customer wasnt happy but too blooming bad as she was a chancer anyhow! so anyway, i walked into the salon at lunchtime and there was the customer sitting getting shellac done with MY STUFF! The salon owner looked up and said *my name* leave your key and get out. i said whatttt? your kidding? and she told me to get out otherwise she was calling the police! All the while she was sitting using my stuff with a salon full of customers.
I was so stunned i stupidly left my key and went away. I then burst intio tears and my sister who is also a therapist elsewhere came to get me and walked back to the salon, the owner then locked me out and phoned the police! The police came and there was a client locked in the salon and eventually the police helped me get my stuff out. What a total cow! I am soooo stupid for walking away. How dare she blacken my name and make such a fool out of me all the while using my things on a client i had cancelled!!! If i ever see that client again i will have to say something. I told you guys that the client was a vindictive cow! And the owner....pfft! She even had the cheek to tell the police i had her salon towels at my house. I had been washing them for her. 5 blooming bin bags! Cause she is too messy and lazy to do it herself. Clients are expected to lie on week oold fake tan stained towels. Oh i am so mad! She has pretty much ensured i dont get any work in my current town! i am a nice, good person and she has taken advantage! Beware!

I am so sorry to hear about this person and can only say we are not all the same. Please don't be put off applying for other positions, she cannot possibly know everyone. I truly want to give you a big :hug:.

I would never, ever treat my self-employed therapist in such a way. When the police arrived, I hope you apologised to your client (even though she was the start of all this for you), saying this is my "stuff" so I am removing it as she has stolen enough.

Hold your head up high. I am a firm believer in Karma.

OMG that is horrendous! I would have started crying too probably. Don't feel annoyed with yourself, it's easy to say in the situation how you would act but often when it happens to you you're so shocked you just act without thinking! And then look back with hindsight when it's too late. Bless that must have been so humiliating to you, that hideous pair of cows! I wish you could tell us the salon but it shows your humility that you didn't. Karma always comes back to bite people in the bum though, be rest assured! 

I aboslutely agree with this!

I wish you all the best for the future, you are so best off out of that place for sure!
and yes, what goes around comes around.. Karma!!
xx

What an awful situation. Try and leave it behind you now and start again. You will succeed. Believe in yourself and be grateful you are out of that place! x

Latest posts

Back