African Grey Parrot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
i acquired one of these birds last night, he is gorgeous, very friendly with a selected few, well i got him out of his cage tonight,had my sis with me tho, cos i was abit wary to say the least, well he trotted off into the kitchen, ate weetabix of his spoon (arrrh how cute), well then he decided to come onto my hand and have a look at my nails, i dont think he liked the nailart stickers thats on them as he literally ripped my nail enhancement + my natural nail free edge clean off, and boy did i bleed. ive now took the stickers off, cos i aint having any more nails ripped off by him,

ps the nail art stickers i have on are the ones thats in my avitar

OMG be bloody careful G they are beautiful animals but cant half do some damage, your lucky he didnt take your finger off and they are very good at stripping wallpaper too, but dont blame you for taking him in, i bet hes great :hug:

Oooooh,bet that was painful,as said be careful they can be quite nasty when they want and jealous too I heard.

Hope your fingers feel better soon.:hug: xx

Ouch Ouch - will there be a dead parrot scene - like the one fom Monty Python ? :lol: :lol: :lol: Better get the web cam going so I see what he is up to :lol: :lol:

We looked after one of these too, but it was a female. It hated me but loved my OH, I mean loved him. SHE WOULD PREEN HIS BEARD!!

Apparently these birds are monogamous.

When she was out, I would look through the hatchway and see she was in her cage and then do a Linford Christie to put her foood on top of the cage. I fed her with BBQ tongs. She bleeding frightened me. She only had one working eye! I know it sounds funny but I'm not joking, infact that made it scarier.

Teri x:hug:

We looked after one of these too, but it was a female. It hated me but loved my OH, I mean loved him. SHE WOULD PREEN HIS BEARD!!

Apparently these birds are monogamous.

When she was out, I would look through the hatchway and see she was in her cage and then do a Linford Christie to put her foood on top of the cage. I fed her with BBQ tongs. She bleeding frightened me. She only had one working eye! I know it sounds funny but I'm not joking, infact that made it scarier.

Teri x:hug:

ROFLMAO :green:

OUCH! Do ya think he thought the flowers were edible or something? You're so good to take him in...you'll have a friend for a long time!

i thought that maybe he thought the stickers were eyes looking back at him, took them off now tho, my finger is still quite painful tho. the previous owner is moving to isle of wight and couldnt take him with her, and ive wanted one of these birds for sooo long. she works for the bird rescue, and had to rehome all her other birds,before she moved, but with jay (thats his name) is a red tails variety, and apparently are becoming a protected species, and she was offered £2000 for him, she said NO, because they would just want to use him for breeding purposes, and she didnt want that, so hey presto, ive got him, and she didnt take a penny for him, the cage is worth £250 on its own, but soooooooooooo big - im looking forward to bonding with him and teaching him all kinds of stuff

i thought that maybe he thought the stickers were eyes looking back at him, took them off now tho, my finger is still quite painful tho. the previous owner is moving to isle of wight and couldnt take him with her, and ive wanted one of these birds for sooo long. she works for the bird rescue, and had to rehome all her other birds,before she moved, but with jay (thats his name) is a red tails variety, and apparently are becoming a protected species, and she was offered £2000 for him, she said NO, because they would just want to use him for breeding purposes, and she didnt want that, so hey presto, ive got him, and she didnt take a penny for him, the cage is worth £250 on its own, but soooooooooooo big - im looking forward to bonding with him and teaching him all kinds of stuff

Awwww you big softie G...Do african greys talk? if they do i bet his first word is flower! lol

My dads got 4 diffrent types of parrots,ones an african grey called toby he thinks hes a dog and barks! max says hello whenever the phones rings and makes the same noise as my car alarm! max doesn't talk any more as his partner died(my dad got him cos he owners didnt want him no longer becouse he couldn't talk anymore) And then theres fred a senagul parrot who's very nasty and attacks any females but he loves my dad (he sits in the bathroom while my dad baths)My dad loves his birds(feathered ones!) he's even brought them a play gym,double cages,christmas toys,...

Awwww you big softie G...Do african greys talk? if they do i bet his first word is flower! lol

he already talks - he says come here, go away, what you doing, jay, what, and some other stuff that i cant make out yet.

i will get him so tame, as i did with my beloved peter (my budgie) ive attached a before and after pic of what hes done to my finger - still love him tho

Attachments

• before jay bit my nail off.jpg
    before jay bit my nail off.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 48
  • nail bitten off by jay.jpg
    nail bitten off by jay.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 98
he already talks - he says come here, go away, what you doing, jay, what, and some other stuff that i cant make out yet.

i will get him so tame, as i did with my beloved peter (my budgie) ive attached a before and after pic of what hes done to my finger - still love him tho

YOWZERS!!

I know what that feels like.. I did the same on the car boot last week!! :eek:

Bloody hell G i bet that hurt, nothing more painfull than a nail broke that far down!

Looks a bit like mine actually, still without enhancements on from b4 arm went in pot lol must get round to putting some on!

:lol: He obviously doesn't like nail art :lol:

Hope it doesn't hurt too much hun :hug:

OUch!! I have to say I am not good with birds so I wouldn't be able to cope with a parrot! I just don't like the wings flapping. lol

Be careful what you say in front of him, they are very good talkers and some of them only need to hear a word once to pick it up!:eek:

My parrot (cockatoo not a grey) hates me wearing nails (normal pink and whites), its as if he knows they are not meant to be there (like grown there i mean) he is the same with glasses, will rip them straight off your face and throw them on the floor!

We've got an 12 year old African Grey called Jake. He has a very large vocabulary and is extremely clever. He was hand reared so is quite a big softy really. He treats us all quite differently; he lets my hubby stroke him through the bars of his cage and plays "gotcha"; when he comes out he likes to sit with me; and acts in different wys with my daughter. If he thinks he has hurt you in any way he is extremely "sorry" and puts his head down in a submissive way. He is a great character and we wouldn't ever swop him!!!

Once he's settled down with you I'm sure he'll be your best friend. Enjoy!

Martine x

Put him to work in the salon, "to hell with acetone for soakoffs" BRING ON THE PARROT.

Put him to work in the salon, "to hell with acetone for soakoffs" BRING ON THE PARROT.

LMAO best idea yet, made me laugh!:lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back