All your PopIts questions answered here!! The OFFICIAL thread for PopIts Q & A's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I finally got my popits a few months back, and have used nothing but these on myself since then. I have still been trying to work out the kinks, learning the proper amount to use, trying to get rid of bubbles, etc. But I had 2 major issues, and I wonder if one of those might have caused my new,big issue!
The first prob I had was I always had acrylic that would push under my cuticle. They would look great for 3 days or so, but as they started to grow out, you would see a small ledge of acrylic right at the cuticle. They would often start to lift here too, and I assume this is because the acrylic was touching the cuticle.
My next problem was the burn! It wasn't just warm, it was HOT! I do have very thin nails, and the few other people I put them on didn't think they burned, so I just figured it was due to my thin nails. But here is my big problem, I have applied these to myself about 5 times over the last couple months, getting the burn every time. Last week I realized that my natural nail was lifting from my nail bed!
I cut them all down very short, and gently thinned them out. I am afraid to soak them off, because I don't know what the acetone might do to my poor nails now. I have 3 nails that are lifted half off of the nail bed, 2 or 3 that are just lifted a small amount at the free edge, and the others seem ok. There is no pain, no discoloration, and I have never had this problem before. I am afraid that the heat from the applcation of the popits has damaged my natural nails.
What do you think? Is this possible?

Ok, so I finally got my popits a few months back, and have used nothing but these on myself since then. I have still been trying to work out the kinks, learning the proper amount to use, trying to get rid of bubbles, etc. But I had 2 major issues, and I wonder if one of those might have caused my new,big issue!
The first prob I had was I always had acrylic that would push under my cuticle. They would look great for 3 days or so, but as they started to grow out, you would see a small ledge of acrylic right at the cuticle. They would often start to lift here too, and I assume this is because the acrylic was touching the cuticle.
My next problem was the burn! It wasn't just warm, it was HOT! I do have very thin nails, and the few other people I put them on didn't think they burned, so I just figured it was due to my thin nails. But here is my big problem, I have applied these to myself about 5 times over the last couple months, getting the burn every time. Last week I realized that my natural nail was lifting from my nail bed!
I cut them all down very short, and gently thinned them out. I am afraid to soak them off, because I don't know what the acetone might do to my poor nails now. I have 3 nails that are lifted half off of the nail bed, 2 or 3 that are just lifted a small amount at the free edge, and the others seem ok. There is no pain, no discoloration, and I have never had this problem before. I am afraid that the heat from the applcation of the popits has damaged my natural nails.
What do you think? Is this possible?

No I think the problem is more to do with excess shrinkage of the product from working too wet with it inside the PopIt, and the fact that your nails are thin and damaged. These two things have caused your nails to derail.

Just leave them alone .. do not soak off and let them grow out naturally for as long as possible and keep short and sweet for now. Your nails will come right again with new growth and I wouldn't put them under any more pressure than you have to. :hug:

Thanks for the input. I will for sure be keeping them short and sweet for quite a while! Maybe I will find one of my old manikin hands in the meantime, and try to teach myself to work drier! :lol:

Well I decided to give my Popits a go. I was supposed to go on the CND course in the summer but it was cancelled on the day at the last minute :cry: but S2 very kindly sent me a few to try. I had a play and just never got it right so they went in the drawer :eek: However I am sick and tired of never liking my own nails - I have very flat nail beds and I can never get the shape right so I sat today and gave myself plenty of time and was only going to try one but ended up doing a full set :) They aren't good enough to wear without polish, as I have a few air bubbles but I am SO pleased with the finish and the shape that it gives my horrible flat nails. My fingers look more elegant and they look much more natural. I shall certainly do these on myself every time now and hopefully get better with practice.:)

Hi, Have just finished reading the whole thread.
and was wondering in regards to using tips, or not, could you fit a form to the finger and then apply the popIt to the nail, would this solve the issue of excess bulk under the nail?
Sorry if that was a stupid question but i find if you dont ask you dont learn.
I am excitedly awaiting the arrival of my PopIts i can not wait to have a play!!:)

and was wondering in regards to using tips, or not, could you fit a form to the finger and then apply the popIt to the nail, would this solve the issue of excess bulk under the nail?
I am excitedly awaiting the arrival of my PopIts i can not wait to have a play!!:)

Even though you have read the whole thread, you may have misunderstood much of it, there is very rarely an issue with excess bulk under the nail.

The thickness of the nail is determined by the amount you put in the popit, then the amount of pressure you apply to the nail, the more pressure (the thinner the nail). If you apply lightly, then the nail will be thicker.

You really have to experiment, the best person to experiment on is you.
If it look thick on the end, next time press it down firmer, if it's too thin, relax a little more.

Popits are not an easy way out, they are a solution for time.

Many want to use them to avoid using basic acrylic nail skills, you will be sorely disappointed, you really have to know how acrylic works, how it settles and how it cures.

Many have seen Popits and think they can become a nail technician overnight .... it ain't so, they are a professional product for people with professional skills.

You have to know how to maintain them, offer a backup service, refill/rebalance them, know their positive aspects and know their negative aspects.

No doubt they are brilliant, but you have to have knowledge to use them.

Your reputable supplier will no doubt have a course that can teach you the basics on their application.

Bravo for reading ALL of this thread lol.

There really isn't a problem of excess bulk under the nail. If there is a blob of excess at the end (it doesn't go underneath) I just trim it off with clippers (takes about one tenth of a second :lol:) then file for smoothness.

However to answer your question ... you could use a form but I find that unless your form is absolutely firm, when you press down on the PopIt you can dislodge it and end up having to do the same thing (trim and smooth). It's less work just to trim off the excess. Once you 'get your eye in' and put the right amount into the PopIt there is very little finishing to do in any case.

If I want to use PopIts without a tip extension, I just smooth any excess at the free edge out with my brush to elongate the nails rather than use forms at all. HTH

By the way, there is a group for PopIt Lovers where you may find some interesting little classes and hints. Why not join and put your questions there in future? Go to Groups and click (above on the bar) and then join us there.:hug:

Even though you have read the whole thread, you may have misunderstood much of it, there is very rarely an issue with excess bulk under the nail.

The thickness of the nail is determined by the amount you put in the popit, then the amount of pressure you apply to the nail, the more pressure (the thinner the nail). If you apply lightly, then the nail will be thicker.

You really have to experiment, the best person to experiment on is you.
If it look thick on the end, next time press it down firmer, if it's too thin, relax a little more.

Popits are not an easy way out, they are a solution for time.

Many want to use them to avoid using basic acrylic nail skills, you will be sorely disappointed, you really have to know how acrylic works, how it settles and how it cures.

Many have seen Popits and think they can become a nail technician overnight .... it ain't so, they are a professional product for people with professional skills.

You have to know how to maintain them, offer a backup service, refill/rebalance them, know their positive aspects and know their negative aspects.

No doubt they are brilliant, but you have to have knowledge to use them.

Your reputable supplier will no doubt have a course that can teach you the basics on their application.

Did i say somewhere that it was an easy way out?? this is why i find it uncomfortable to ask questions here, if i didnt have knowledge i wouldnt ask,
And as for time if you want to watch my 4yo autistic son and 2.5 yo while having my baby bump. i will head on out to the mainland and do a course.

Once again made to feel uncomfortable for asking a simple question, i also mentoned that i was awaiting their arrival, Thanks HEAPS for your help!!
xoxo

Did i say somewhere that it was an easy way out?? this is why i find it uncomfortable to ask questions here, if i didnt have knowledge i wouldnt ask,
And as for time if you want to watch my 4yo autistic son and 2.5 yo while having my baby bump. i will head on out to the mainland and do a course.

Once again made to feel uncomfortable for asking a simple question, i also mentoned that i was awaiting their arrival, Thanks HEAPS for your help!!
xoxo

I think you are being way over sensitive to Carl's post. In no way did it make me think for one minute his remarks were personal to YOU.

Like me Carl responds to a person's post but writes for EVERYONE to read. His comments are very valid to anyone who reads this thread.

Saying PopIts are 'not an easy way out' (which he is quite right to say) is not saying YOU think they are an easy way out. He is simply stating the truth which is, that PopIts are not as easy as they look to use and the more knowledge one has about acrylic products and how they work, the better that one will be able to use them. Why anyone should feel uncomfortable reading that I fail to understand.

We live in a world where so many are 'touchy' over nothing. Take things personally when nothing that is said is personal. Rise and hit out when they haven't even been attacked. Looking for insult where none is meant. Feeling uncomfortable when there is no need at all.

Just read the post as it is meant, as good valid advice from someone hugely respected who has given up some of his valuable time to offer it to you and everyone reading..

Your right geeg, and many apologies, Hormones and the death of My grandfather probably got in the road, :cry: i think i might just stick to lurking from now on!

My head hangs in shame!

Thanks for your advice and sorry again.

Your right geeg, and many apologies, Hormones and the death of My grandfather probably got in the road, :cry: i think i might just stick to lurking from now on!

My head hangs in shame!

Thanks for your advice and sorry again.

I sympathise with your loss :hug: Don't lurk .. there is absolutely no need. It's not me who should have the apology ... :hug: And it is not just you either ... many people seem to jump to the wrong conclusions these days before they even consider what is really being said. Everyones emotions seem to be so near the surface. Don't dwell on it any more and of course you mustn't lurk. We want you here :hug: It takes a big person to say sorry and everyone will respect you all the more for it.

I sympathise with your loss :hug: Don't lurk .. there is absolutely no need. It's not me who should have the apology ... :hug: And it is not just you either ... many people seem to jump to the wrong conclusions these days before they even consider what is really being said. Everyones emotions seem to be so near the surface. Don't dwell on it any more and of course you mustn't lurk. We want you here :hug: It takes a big person to say sorry and everyone will respect you all the more for it.

Should have been more specific, the apologie was also directed at carl, i am having a pregnant hormonal day, on the upside i got my PopIts today, so i am going to go play and try to melt the stress of the day away.
Thanks for your understanding! I shall try to think before i type in future!!
xo

Should have been more specific, the apologie was also directed at carl, i am having a pregnant hormonal day, on the upside i got my PopIts today, so i am going to go play and try to melt the stress of the day away.
xo

Trust me ... we are used to pregnant hormonal days here on salon geek :hug:

Have fun and look at the PopIt Power Group. There are some hints and tips there which will help you have success with PopIts.

xo

I do nails for a living and deal with hormonal women on a day to day basis (so I do understand) and have a female dog that goes ballistic twice a year (just went through it last week). Thought she had arthritis, a spinal injury or worse, thank god I held out and she came right after about 5 days.

I didn't mean offence by my post (it was a general reply).

So many do think that Popits will save them and answer about 30 enquiries a day due to my youtube videos on Popits.

It's lovely (though unnecessary) to apologise to me.

Sometimes I can be abrupt (I acknowledge that).

Please post and visit more often.

We are here to help.

Hope we have a mutual understanding of each other and I apologise to you for causing unnecessary unrest and doubt.

Now get out your Popits and have some fun .

I have just tried my first PopIt and just want to say I LOVE them!!

the nail ive done isnt perfect but what a great string to add to your bow!

woo!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just tried my first popit and just want to say I LOVE them!!

the nail ive done isnt perfect but what a great string to add to your bow!

woo!!

Go to groups and join the PopIt Power group .. lots of helpful hints there.

sorry if someone has already answered this question... ive hunted but cant find the answer!! :)

how do you sculpt the full nail using popits with l&p ??

ive been using popits for a year or so now and just love the look that they produce and the short time it takes... would prefer to continue using them :) but im trying to figure out if i can get away without using tips

thanks!! x :x

Nikki xx

Yes, you can place your white in the PopIt where you want it to be, and then use your opaque powder for the rest of the nail then apply. You will end up with a beautiful sculpted nail.

If you don't want pink and white, then just use one colour and after you have applied each PopIt turn the hand over and use your brush to extend the product beyond the free edge by brushing it out. This is perfect for those who want polished nails and the new CND Shellac will be perfect for that.

had a bash at that this morning.. having bother!! the free edge of the nail underneath is a little bumpy/rough looking, starting to freak me out!! will keep trying to see if i can improve!
on a lighter note.. i have a trade test for a huge brilliant salon this afternoon... :) :) :)

Good luck this afternoon!

Back