All your technical questions about Brisa Lite removable gel answered here

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first person I tried the smoothing gel on was myself and it lasted beautifully, just like shellac does for me. I have tried it on two friends and both had different problems.

Friend 1 had a full application with regular polish on top. Within a day it was cracking and coming off in chunks! Admittedly, she can only keep shellac on for a week because she's so tough on her nails. But cracking in chunks after one day?! I thought maybe I applied it too thick but it didn't happen to me and if I look at the nail at the free edge, it doesn't look thick at all.

Friend 2 says her shellac peels off her nails. I believe her because her nails are perfectly smooth, no signs of damage, picking, or anything. She's the only person I've ever had tell me that shellac peeled off. The only weird thing I noticed is this: You know how the nail looks dehydrated after you scrubfresh? I scrubbed and scrubbed and they didn't look like I'd touched them! Anyway, I tried the smoothing gel with shellac since she's going on vacation. She lasted 48 hours then told me that one nail is peeling.

These are close friends, so I don't have to worry about disappointing them, it's just that I want to have some success before I try it at the spa. I can't try the sculpting gel because I don't know how to sculpt. We had ten minutes of instruction with gel at nail school and that was it. There are no CND master classes within a 2-3 hour radius of Boston, so I feel a little stuck. I guess I'm just wondering if anything jumps out at you that I might have done wrong. Otherwise, I guess it's just their nails and lifestyles that are unsuitable.

You have a CND Master Educator in Wareham, Mass. and she is called Melissa Pechey. You can contact her on facebook and send her a message .. She may be able to do some 121 with you or at least speak to you about your particular needs. Send her a message and tell her I sent you. xx

Work it .... nails too have to get used to things sometimes ... it is easy to get the product to peel off if you peel it. Otherwise, I don't see why it should happen unless the nails are just not suitable .. why can't she wear Shellac for more than a week ... that says something right there? Don't be gutted, Consider it a challenge and make it work. Try 2 coats instead of one ... it's a "getting to know you" time for all of us. Maybe she would be better with the sculpting gel. Trial and error. As long as the client can work with you then its cool. Some of us are having great successes and some are finding things more difficult ... normal.
She has naturally thin, quite bendy nails that break and can have the odd peel if she doesn't have anything on them. She can't grow them very long at all without the help from Shellac, but I always keep them short as she is a busy (works full time) single mum of 3 little ones. I shall try 2 coats next time and if I still don't get the results I shall try Sculpting Gel.

Thank you

Do you know if there is anyway of changing this? Iv seen a HUGE decline in enquiries on fb :-(
Could you maybe pm me if you know of a way pls?
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

It's called edge ranking, there's no way that I know to change it, if u have a Facebook page then u need to regulary change your cover and profile pictures and get your posts to get comments, that will help a little.

Geeg,

could I ask you about the same thing please. My niece also has this problem that I just cant do a dry prep on her. I use scrubfresh religiously but I just cannot dehydrate her nails at all. They are very very shiny and it doesnt matter how much I scrub them they just wont go white.

I have to use cuticle away everytime and this seems to help a little bit. Ive also given up doing L n P on her as they lift so horribly that she got a greenie the other week. None of my other clients have any lifting anymore and I do hers exactly the same.

Ive now tried brisa lite smoothing gel with shellac on top and Im going to see how that goes.

Any advice would be really gratefully received. xxxxx

Geeg,

could I ask you about the same thing please. My niece also has this problem that I just cant do a dry prep on her. I use scrubfresh religiously but I just cannot dehydrate her nails at all. They are very very shiny and it doesnt matter how much I scrub them they just wont go white.

I have to use cuticle away everytime and this seems to help a little bit. Ive also given up doing L n P on her as they lift so horribly that she got a greenie the other week. None of my other clients have any lifting anymore and I do hers exactly the same.

Ive now tried brisa lite smoothing gel with shellac on top and Im going to see how that goes.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what exactly a dry PEP consists of so this is what CND recommend before CND Brisa Lite Removable Gel and CND Shellac Application.

P: Perform a Manicure
Wash Hands
Coolblue
File & Shape the Natural Extension Edge with a 240 grit File
Cuticle Away deactivating with Soap & Water

E & P
Eliminate Surface Contaminates & Purify Nail Surface using Scrubfresh.

This is the PEP required, a WET PEP would consist of soaking the nails in water, oil or a milk bath this could cause problems with lifting, peeling and chipping if done before application of your product.

Cuticle Away is not classed as a wet pep it is a very important part of the service and fundamental to your products longevity and wear.

I hope this explained it for you :)

Geeg,

Have you tried nailfresh on her? You would scrubfresh, then nailfresh, then scrubfresh again (to ensure the bacteria fighting pathogens are still present).
Hth x

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what exactly a dry PEP consists of so this is what CND recommend before CND Brisa Lite Removable Gel and CND Shellac Application.

Wash Hands
Coolblue

E & P

This is the PEP required, a WET PEP would consist of soaking the nails in water, oil or a milk bath this could cause problems with lifting, peeling and
chipping if done before application of your product.

Cuticle Away is not classed as a wet pep it is a very important part of the service and fundamental to your products longevity and wear.

Thank you my lovely yes I've just realised the error of my ways :hug: xxxx

Have you tried nailfresh on her? You would scrubfresh, then nailfresh, then scrubfresh again (to ensure the bacteria fighting pathogens are still present).
Hth x

yes Waffle I've literally tried everything on her. She has really strange nails. Shellac by itself last 2 days on her before chipping. Her nails are quite flimsy. I've not been trained in Brisa Lite sculpting gel at the moment but gonna try it on her as soon as I do. Xxxx

Wash Hands
Coolblue

E & P

This is the PEP required, a WET PEP would consist of soaking the nails in water, oil or a milk bath this could cause problems with lifting, peeling and chipping if done before application of your product.

Absolutely right ....

DUH ... here's me assuming that everyone is following those instructions.

:smack:

Absolutely right ....

DUH ... here's me assuming that everyone is following those instructions.

:smack:

Nope not me Geeg, but hey I like to be different lol. Actually in my defence Im sure Ive read on here somewhere that a dry pep does not include cuticle away or at least one time that was how it was recommended, so Ive got confused.

OK can you sort this problem out for me. Tonight I went back to a client who I had put brisa lite smoothing gel on a fortnight ago. Her shellac usually lasts about three days before chipping. I got there and she had nothing on her nails :Scared: I said to her OH NO it didn't last again.

OH No she said in reply it lasted til last night, when I had an accident with a carving knife and chipped the end off one nail. I couldn't cope with the chip so I picked the rest off. Hmm what do you say to that :eek:

Suffice to say Brisa Light is flipping brilliant and yes I did do a perfect PEP on her. Its that stupid word dry it gets me every time :wink2:

Last edited:
Nope not me Geeg, but hey I like to be different lol. Actually in my defence Im sure Ive read on here somewhere that a dry pep does not include cuticle away or at least one time that was how it was recommended, so Ive got confused.

OK can you sort this problem out for me. Tonight I went back to a client who I had put brisa lite smoothing gel on a fortnight ago. Her shellac usually lasts about three days before chipping. I got there and she had nothing on her nails :Scared: I said to her OH NO it didn't last again.

OH No she said in reply it lasted til last night, when I had an accident with a carving knife and chipped the end off one nail. I couldn't cope with the chip so I picked the rest off. Hmm what do you say to that :eek:

Suffice to say Brisa Light is flipping brilliant and yes I did do a perfect PEP on her. Its that stupid word dry it gets me every time :wink2:

When we talk about a wet manicure it includes a soak. We are not soaking when we PEP and CND do recommend it as the nail really does need to be super clean if we are not going to need to use buffing and primer etc. Cuticle Away is the way to achieve that in the most gentle and effective way ... Just like the videos show. No one can force you to do it ... But if anyone is having problems then they should certainly be doing it. If people are going to do a PEP without using the protocol of Cuticle Away, then they better really know what they are doing or they are going to have issues. Best not to have issues with clients who have other expectations. HTH

Must admit it confused me - I thought 'dry' was just that - ie no liquid! I tried a few times to go 'dry' but always ended up 'giving in' and using cuticle away (--at the back of my mind thinking I was just no good at removing cuticle 'dry' and maybe there was some special technique!)

I feel totally elated now knowing I was doing it exactly right all along! Since I've been doing dry pep - my clients nails have always lasted 2-3 weeks - before that it was hit and miss :-(

It does take a bit of time but I think clients like the 'pamper' - but it still amazes me when a new client remarks that at other places they never get any 'prep' - just a quick wipe and on goes the gel!

I think clients feel they are getting extra for their money lol!

Any chance of making this thread in to a "sticky"?
I really don't want to lose it. Amazing thread.:)

Any chance of making this thread in to a "sticky"?
I really don't want to lose it. Amazing thread.:)
Glad it has helped, Tiger Jay ... I don't think this thread will be going anywhere soon. It won't be made into a sticky but I may make it into a permanent q&a in the articles section one day, when I can find the time. :hug:
In the meantime you can subscribe to this thread so you know when anyone has posted. To do that, just click on thread tools above and then click subscribe.

There is also a thread on Q&A for Brisa Lite Nail Art questions if you are interested to have a look.

More information to understand and to remember!

Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel is for SCULPTING, and needs to be formed into the correct shape. You MUST build with it.

I want everyone who sees this to remember it.

Brisa and Brisa LITE Sculpting gels are for ENHANCEMENTS. They are for the downtrodden, sad, need-a-makeover nails.

Brisa Lite SMOOTHING gel is a booster for CND Shellac. It adds extra durability to Shellac, and perfects the nail surface on those that are slightly challenged. It goes on in one thin, even layer.

Gigi, I have a question. I had a client in for a full set of BL Sculpting Gel with Decadence Shellac finish - they looked gorgeous... But I got a text 4 days later saying "I think they've lifted, they all feel loose"?!

She came back in, I removed the Shellac to see what was going on,,. Nothing. All perfect, not a trace of lifting. We came to the conclusion that it FEELS a lot lighter (name says it all) as she is used to L&P. She did admit that "loose" was the wrong way to describe them and "light" was probably more like it.

Anyway, my question is - why does Brisa Lite feel so much lighter than anything else I've tried... Yet just as strong! Plus, if clients have been used to another system and comment on the difference in feel, how do I explain WHY it's like that (and why it's a good thing) in a way they will understand?

I did another full set almost 3 weeks ago and when I contacted her to see when she would like Infills, I got this text back (see pic). I'm chuffed!

Xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361524633.039981.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361524633.039981.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 269
That's such a good question, I have had the same comment from my two clients and I agree as have brisa lite sculpting on and the do feel very light and its odd as they do feel as if not there and I've checked a few times thinking they were lifting when they arnt, so I'm looking forward to the answer, if there is one.

I normally wear nsi balance hard gel not l&p just thought I'd add that.

Gigi, I have a question. I had a client in for a full set of BL Sculpting Gel with Decadence Shellac finish - they looked gorgeous... But I got a text 4 days later saying "I think they've lifted, they all feel loose"?!

She came back in, I removed the Shellac to see what was going on,,. Nothing. All perfect, not a trace of lifting. We came to the conclusion that it FEELS a lot lighter (name says it all) as she is used to L&P. She did admit that "loose" was the wrong way to describe them and "light" was probably more like it.

Anyway, my question is - why does Brisa Lite feel so much lighter than anything else I've tried... Yet just as strong! Plus, if clients have been used to another system and comment on the difference in feel, how do I explain WHY it's like that (and why it's a good thing) in a way they will understand?

I did another full set almost 3 weeks ago and when I contacted her to see when she would like Infills, I got this text back (see pic). I'm chuffed!

Xxx

Well because it is lighter!! :D They are lighter, less dense than l&p AND TRATITIONAL hard gels. They should feel completely natural. You will find that many will remark on this feature. I would just say, "You will love the natural lighter feek of Brisa Lite but at the same time it is extremely retentive and tough."
Great text. Save it and show others.

When we talk about a wet manicure it includes a soak. We are not soaking when we PEP and CND do recommend it as the nail really does need to be super clean if we are not going to need to use buffing and primer etc. Cuticle Away is the way to achieve that in the most gentle and effective way ... Just like the videos show. No one can force you to do it ... But if anyone is having problems then they should certainly be doing it. If people are going to do a PEP without using the protocol of Cuticle Away, then they better really know what they are doing or they are going to have issues. Best not to have issues with clients who have other expectations. HTH

:hug:Yes thank you that helps a whole lot. Im back in love with cuticle away and I agree with someone else on here it just makes the whole look of the nail different. God how did I do without it. Im back in love with nails all over again since Brisa Lite and it has given me a renewed confidence in my nails.

Ive actually told one of my clients that I wont do acrylic on her anymore due to the damage she is doing to them. She said when she breaks one she bites the rest of the acrylic off :Scared:

I've since tried her with Brisa Lite on her own nails, they are very very short but she loved them. I think sometimes certain people get too comfortable with the whole acrylic strength bit and they abuse their nails because of it.

Im chomping at the bit to do the Brisa Sculpting but at the moment I just cant get in to any training. never mind patience is a virtue they say, just wish I had a little of it.

I will keep you posted on my acrylic to Brisa Lite smoothing shellac lady :eek:

xx

If a client doesn't like French would I just use pink all over? I'm a bit worried it wouldn't look right or should I in this instance buy and use the clear? Xx

Latest posts

Back