Am looking for a soak off gel to go under Shellac for peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! My comments disappeared! I don't get it. I did write a really long post on here didn't I or did I dream it?

Whoa! My comments disappeared! I don't get it. I did write a really long post on here didn't I or did I dream it?

Ooops that was a different thread! Dur. *Slaps head*

I think the only reason people started to want 3wks out of Shellac was because another brand came out claiming they last 3wks, but that other brand was a gel not a polish at all, i just ask them if its gel they want or polish, because i think 2wks is very good for a polish anyway, anyhow i would rather they came in every 2 wks than every 3wks and if the other brand is gel isnt it supposed to be re-done evry 2wks anyway.
My gel/acrylic is supposed to be re-balanced every 2wks, not 3wks.
I have recently heard there are people trying to get 4wks out of their nails, why???
I just tell my clients you could be coming in fortnightly or weekly to begin with then fortnightly (depending on how you go)
my clients are happy to do this because they all know someone who already comes to me and gets 2wks or more and thats just fine with me.

I wonder if hairdressers have this problem with people trying to get as long as they can from their roots
I agree!! You hear people mentioning that their Shellac is still on after 4 weeks+ but surely it looks awful with the regrowth?! I only put my gel on a week ago and already you can see the regrowth! Xx

My nails are really terrible for peeling, except for when I religiously use my solor oil. Do these clients use solor oil?

Hi yes they tell me they do, and they buy bottles from me so must be using it, some people just have peeling nails and I feel bad for them. Ax

i use maniq clear under shellac in place of their base coat to help with the problem you are having with good results.
you don't file this at all , just apply thinly as you would the base coat. the filing you mention with maniq is to help with the removal of their gel polish system. you would break the top coat seal and then remove using acetone soaked wraps as with shellac.

Thank you for replying, I think I will try maniQ soak off gel and give it a go, I see they do it in a sample kit so can give it a try and see how we get on. Thanks. Ax

Iv researched the same thing, people said to use gellish structure gel under shellac without buffing first. I'm trialling it with a client who is notorious for chipping! Il keep you posted how it goes. I know it's mixing brands, so I'm not expecting loads! But well give it a go

purebeauty, yes please, if you dont mind keeping me updated that would be great. Ax

Hi, I use maniQ clear gel under shellac on people with a few dodgy nails and it does help. You need to make sure you get the clear maniQ in the pot and not the clear maniQ basecoat gel polish. Also remember you are using it instead of the shellac basecoat so it dies take a few minutes more to soak off but nothing drastic. So, You pep either dry or wet then gently buff the shine of the natural nail with a soft white block - you are only removing shine nothing more. Then you use a tiny bit of protein bond only on the free edge, wait a couple of secs to ensure its fully dry then apply the maniQ and cure in the cnd lamp for 2 mins. If a nail needs building up you can build an apex on a second layer of maniQ, after the maniQ you just then proceed with the shellac colours straight on top of the maniq dispersion layer and topcoat as normal. When wrapping off you do not need to file the shine off as the maniQ is at the base not topcoat so you just wrap exactly as per shellac removal with d-solve but just add a couple more minutes that's all.

Before anyone goes mad and says this is "messing" it was a very well respected nail tech who suggested I give this a go and said its only "messing" if you mix uncured products together or use different liquid and powder brands etc. just let your ladies know what you're doing and if they're happy to try the maniQ gel underneath then try it. If they say they only want shellac and maybe don't like the idea of buffing the natural nail to remove shine (although extremely gently), I was also told that you can do shellac basecoat, then shellac topcoat straight after, then proceed with colour coats and top layer of topcoat (or 2 if they warrant it) This is meant to give more strength but I personally haven't tested this method out simply as the cost of service will go up if you're having to use three coats of topcoat. But its another option for you to think about anyway.
Sorry this has been such a long reply but I thought it important to explain properly. Hope it helps and let me know how you get on. Good luck! Xxx

Hi waffle4, thats great thanks for replying, my clients love shellac and I dont think that they will care if I add a gel by a different brand underneath as long as they get longer out of there shellac so its worth a try. Gonna go and order some maniq now and see how I get on with these clients as Im quite positive that it will work. Fingers crossed, thanks again. Ax

I think Shellac as a system should be used as instructed by CND, using their products and following their instructions.

Shellac is for natural nails and is as good as the nail is on the day of the application.

This is what our customers always should be made aware of and what we tell them. It's an amazing product but it may/will chip if the nails are not in good state.

If customers want longer lasting product maybe it would be better to offer Gelish alongside of Shellac. There is plenty of successful nail techs who use it without the need of buffing the nail.

That could be like a temporary measure and if the state of the nails improves under Gelish come back to Shellac. Just a thought x

Any combination of products outside Shellac system is not anymore shellac.

If we buy BMW we hardly want to see Fiat upholstery and engine inside :) Why not then stock on both BMW and Fiat ;)

Sorry I wont use gelish, I have bought it, tried it, its not as strong as shellac and it doesnt soak off as easy as shellac. This is of course my opinion from my own experience. I love shellac and dont want to use anything else, but would like another option for clients with peeling nails. I would have used brisa but I prefer to just soak off the shellac and whatever is underneath will soak off with it, this is easier in my opinion so will give my clients whatever they need. The same as if I was putting shellac over acrylic, this has been spoke off by the masters of cnd and all they said was make sure you charge extra. Im definately going to try a soak off gel underneath for my clients with peeling nails, I dont think they are bothered what I put on as long as they have lovely shiny nails for 2-3 weeks. Thanks. Ax

Yes , you're right. There are many, many posts on here with cnd trained people saying they use gel underneath the shellac to give it strength. I rang s2 and asked their advice before I started using the gel and they said its absolutely fine and as long as people are aware of what you're doing and are happy there is no problem.
In an ideal world everyone would have 10 long, strong natural nails but unfortunately alot of women don't. Techs shouldn't be made to feel bad when they are trying to find a solution for these ladiesx

I agree with you and I wont feel bad for trying to find a solution for my clients, they have said they would love me if I could help them. They would all be so pleased. So im gonna give it a go. x

I can't help but think its like saying its not good enough by itself, i on the other hand think that as a nail polish its exceptionally good and i think that if you gave it a chance without the addition of gels you would soon see peoples nails get stronger and longer through time and in turn their Shellac lasts longer.
If you dont agree thats fine but i didnt expect the claws to come out,
but its ok im not that easily offended

hey geekies

I've read this thread with interest and noted a couple of things.

Personally at the moment if i have clients who peel i use fibreglass mesh and two top boats with good results. However I'm always on the look out for new things to help. Bear with me this could be a bit of a jumbled reply lol!

From my research from checking out mani q soak off gel recently this does seem like a good alternative. I also had a chat with another lovely geek (rinn x x x ) who also has good results using this under shellac. I personally wouldn't see this as messing as to me i think this is the same as applying over enhancements.

That said it very much depends on your client. I know pretty much the majority bar maybe one or two have wanted and loved shellac for its easy application, no shine removal and its quick removal and feel shellac is perfect for their natural nail. Therefore possibly if they had to have a soak of gel they wouldn't want to have the shine removed and a longer removal process plus added things such a protein bond as you would have with ManiQ soak off natural nail builder gel if they had problem nails.

What i will say though for maniq is that young nails have said it promotes the growth of natural nails, applies thinly and gives more strength and of course doesn't take too long to remove, i think fifteen minutes.

The fact is some clients know about shellac, love shellac and want shellac and will accept that if they have more problematic nails it may, and i stress may, not last as long as those with good nails. Equally i have a client with terribly peely nails, she works in a cash office counting money and we don't double top coat or reinforce her peely areas with fibreglass and she gets two weeks no problem and also another client who again has very peely nails and often manages to split her nails further down, not the free edge, and goes three weeks no problem.

I think that as long as we are honest with ours clients, explain all their options, advise on the ability of shellac based on the condition of their nails i don't see a problem. My only concern if you add something like a soak off gel underneath is how much more this would cost you and the client and how much longer time wise it would take to prep, apply and remove.

Not sure that I've answered the OP or any question to be honest lmao but i thought I'd reply based on a few previous posts. As someone has already done perhaps discuss your options with sweet squared they are fabulous beyond training and are there to help, so drop them a line or give them a call.

Love n hugs x o x

Hi all

I would like to thank everyone for replying to my questions. I am a long term user of shellac and absolutely love it and have used it every since it came out, I have managed to grow my nails from a severe nail biter to really long nails, if you look in my album you will see. I have confidence in shellac and dont have any problems with my nails, I get between 3-4 weeks out of my shellac depending how fed up I get with the colour and growth and how long I let my nails get, my mum always gets the same. I am a perfectionist when it comes to nails and aim to please all of my clients. This is why I wanted to find a solution for clients and friends who have peeling and week nails but they love the shellac because of the shine, instant drying time and the colours, I do alot of rockstars and they all love it. However I was just trying to find a solution to their problem nails and I think that I have done this. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and experiences and just wanted people to share. Everyone tries different things that suits the individual client and what suits one nail tech doesnt suit another so everyone is entitled to share there findings. So for those out there who is gonna try these different methods then please keep in contact with me and let me know how you get on, I will update this thread when my few clients with peeling nails comes in and see how they go after a few weeks, but im very hopeful for them. Many thanks again. Ax

Hi all

I would like to thank everyone for replying to my questions. I am a long term user of shellac and absolutely love it and have used it every since it came out, I have managed to grow my nails from a severe nail biter to really long nails, if you look in my album you will see. I have confidence in shellac and dont have any problems with my nails, I get between 3-4 weeks out of my shellac depending how fed up I get with the colour and growth and how long I let my nails get, my mum always gets the same. I am a perfectionist when it comes to nails and aim to please all of my clients. This is why I wanted to find a solution for clients and friends who have peeling and week nails but they love the shellac because of the shine, instant drying time and the colours, I do alot of rockstars and they all love it. However I was just trying to find a solution to their problem nails and I think that I have done this. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and experiences and just wanted people to share. Everyone tries different things that suits the individual client and what suits one nail tech doesnt suit another so everyone is entitled to share there findings. So for those out there who is gonna try these different methods then please keep in contact with me and let me know how you get on, I will update this thread when my few clients with peeling nails comes in and see how they go after a few weeks, but im very hopeful for them. Many thanks again. Ax

Very interesting thread, it would be great to hear the feedback from the clients who have had their overlays tailored to suit them, (in a perfect world we would all have nice strong nails but we don't.)

I bit my nails for many years so have a very short nail bed & the thinnest nails ever so Shellac or Gelish alone is not enough I need extra strength underneath.

I have also done gel polish over Bio Sculpture Sculpting gel of over B/S extensions with great success.

I always tell the clients what I am doing & as long as they get their nails to last longer they are quite happy for me to try different things.

That is what I find so great with gels & being a nail Tech, you can really tailor your application to individual clients, which is what makes us nail techs rather than messers, who don't know what they are doing & try physically mixing different companies gels together.

That is what I find so great with gels & being a nail Tech, you can really tailor your application to individual clients, which is what makes us nail techs rather than messers, who don't know what they are doing & try physically mixing different companies gels together.

Here here:hug: xxxx

As has been said 'here here' I feel the same and I have been looking into finding a solution to the same problem. Please keep us updated & I will report back on my results :)

For all those that are interested.
My client has gone 1 week now with no problems.
So far so good!

I've gone for the two layers of Top Coat on my Shellacs and so far been one day so too early yet. I'll let you all know whether they last for two weeks. :)

My lady filed her nails, regardless of the fact I told her not to. So I am definatly expecting chipping now!
I will have to go back to the drawing board! I'm eagerly waiting to see if any one else has a solution? X

Ok mine lasted a week until the ends showed wear and chipping. I now have on gel enhancements as I think I'm not suitable to have nice nails in any other way! *cries*

I just wish a Super Shellac would be invented suitable for natural nail clients with nails like mine. (Peely, bendy and oily me thinks).

Hi all

Good luck Abi! You are not a messer, you are passionate, a perfectionist and caring. I too love shellac but I don't get best wear sometimes because I have thin, bendy nails which also peel. Unfortunately I have an allergy to most gels and that is why I turned to CND Shellac.
I would love a hypo-allergenic soak off gel from CND. I use my solar oil religiously and have bottles of it everywhere..lol. It has helped but ultimately I am the type of person that could probably do with gel.
I just wish before criticising, people would be a little more open minded and realise that each client is different and sometimes it's simply not possible to find a solution to every clients nail needs with one range.
It's not you are planning to use some dodgy cheapie unbranded soak off from China, you are looking for a quality product to fill a gap within the wonderful CND range.

Good luck to you!!

Latest posts

Back