Annual PAT Testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAT Testing

• Yes

Votes: 35 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Can't see the point it's a waste of money

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Cathie!

Reaction score
Just something I picked up on from another thread and got me thinking, does everyone get their electrical equipment PAT (Portable Appliance Test) tested every year or every other year depending on the equipment, to make sure that it is safe to use in your business?

Just something I picked up on from another thread and got me thinking, does everyone get their electrical equipment PAT (Portable Appliance Test) tested every year or every other year depending on the equipment, to make sure that it is safe to use in your business?

I always did in my salons ... of course it used to irk me to have to do it (and particularly paying for it) as I felt is was 'jobs for the boys' but my guess is that hardly anyone actually complys with this on a regular basis. We'll see won't we? :lol:

I always did in my salons ... of course it used to irk me to have to do it (and particularly paying for it) as I felt is was 'jobs for the boys' but my guess is that hardly anyone actually complys with this on a regular basis. We'll see won't we? :lol:
I would imagine it will also depend on the likelhood of getting an inspection, so it's more salons and renters who would need to comply for H&S inspections.....

but do you think that PAT testing actually has a role in finding rougue equipment that could cause injury?

Did you ever have any of your equipment condemned?

If someone were to make a claim against you for whatever reason I assume you would have to show this as proof? Am I right?

Is this something that we have to have proof of for our insurance?

My hubby mentioned PAT testing to me the other week and it's something he's trained to do as an engineer but we thought that it would have to be done by a certified electrician.

Very interesting thread Cathie!

I have voted yes but as yet I haven't had it done as all of my electricals in the salon are under a year old and I was advised by my local council it applies to items over a year old only.

When my first item is nearly a year old in a couple of months I will arrange to have them all checked in one go. I know that the hair salon has them all checked yearly.

It's part of the Electricity at work regulation. A written copy must be kept of these tests done by a qualified electrician. They are supposed to be available to be inspected at any time by the health and safety authority.

If someone were to make a claim against you for whatever reason I assume you would have to show this as proof? Am I right?
One would assume so, although I don't know remember reading any insurance small print on it.

I have voted yes but as yet I haven't had it done as all of my electricals in the salon are under a year old and I was advised by my local council it applies to items over a year old only.

When my first item is nearly a year old in a couple of months I will arrange to have them all checked in one go. I know that the hair salon has them all checked yearly.
Yes, all items over a year as they are covered by warranty prior to that.

I would imagine it will also depend on the likelhood of getting an inspection, so it's more salons and renters who would need to comply for H&S inspections.....

but do you think that PAT testing actually has a role in finding rougue equipment that could cause injury?

Did you ever have any of your equipment condemned?

Once I had something (hair drier I think) condemned as they found some charring in the plug! Long time ago and I can't remember if it just needed to be rewired into anew plug .. I think that is what happened. Otherwise I can't remember another incident. Still a fire might have started or someone might have got a nasty turn!! :lol: Not worth it when you are a busy busy salon not to have it done just in case. One 'case' can cost you allot of money in the end.

As far as Im aware this is compulsory, it used to be at my old employers, staff can refuse to use a piece of electrical equipment if it hasn;t been pat tested, obviously incase of injury/shock, not worth the risk IMHO :eek:

As far as Im aware this is compulsory, it used to be at my old employers, staff can refuse to use a piece of electrical equipment if it hasn;t been pat tested, obviously incase of injury/shock, not worth the risk IMHO :eek:
You're right, it is compulsory, not just for salons as anyone who is self-employed is also responsible to have PAT testing on their equipment.

If I'm honest, I didn't have any of my equipment PAT tested when I was renting, prior to having the salon. It's all up to date now though :)

Last edited:
Yep - we have ours done once a year - and the company we use marks everything tested with a sticker and the date it needs re-testing (one year ahead). They come out of hours so it doesnt disrupt the salon at all.

I'm lucky as the hubby is qualified to do this for me so I just cook him a nice meal and he checks the machine over for me lol.

I am mobile and when my 1 yr is up I will be getting my equipment pat tested. I would not want to take the risk, what with going into other peoples homes. xxxx

Yes I've had all my electrical equipment PAT tested and had some items condemed. I replaced the cheaper items with new equipment as it was not worth the risk of a fire or my staff getting a shock off anything. One of my more expensive pieces of equipment was condemed and will cost me £300 to get it serviced!!! Ah well thats life and one of the many things sent to test us salon owners.

My son is an electrical engineer so he and his mate did the whole salon when it was closed, because he was starting from scratch it took most of the day but next time when the testing is carried out it will be a lot quicker as all the information is stored on the PAT machine. I hadn't realised how many electrical 'things' were in the salon!

I run my biz from my home salon (in my conservatory).
I have had everything electrical I use PAT tested. As far as I was concerned, it's just the one charge regardless of how many things are tested - well that was the case for md anyway.
I had my UV lamp, wax pot, electric heater, desk lamp, portable lamp done at the time.
It's worth it to have them done, no worrying I'm about to electrocute my clients!

Yes I've had all my electrical equipment PAT tested and had some items condemed. I replaced the cheaper items with new equipment as it was not worth the risk of a fire or my staff getting a shock off anything. One of my more expensive pieces of equipment was condemed and will cost me £300 to get it serviced!!! Ah well thats life and one of the many things sent to test us salon owners.

My son is an electrical engineer so he and his mate did the whole salon when it was closed, because he was starting from scratch it took most of the day but next time when the testing is carried out it will be a lot quicker as all the information is stored on the PAT machine. I hadn't realised how many electrical 'things' were in the salon!
It's quite surprising how many items the PAT testers seek out in the salon.....anything with a plug on lol, it soon adds up.

It is a bit like a car MOT IMO as all is well on the day but who knows what could go wrong until the next test.

I have everything PAT tested...annually. Wouldn't be happy to do otherwise.

Hubby and I both run businesses that have enogh cause for PAT testing that we made the sensible decision to send him off to do the PAT testing course (although it has more official name than that - he reliably infomrs me!)

So now he is certified to do our testing. He does it for a few feriends businesses too. The course has paid for itself, and the bi-annual renewal is less than it would cost for us to get the PAT testers in!

I don't get any choice as my landlord owns and runs his electrical business right above my shop! He charges £3 per item too which sounds a lot to me but I can't get anyone else in to do it as he's right upstairs.

My sister recently gave me a mobile she no longer wanted and the charger had a PAT test sticker on it because she'd left it in her office over the weekend when the testers had been in! Bit thorough....

I had mine done in January of this year. I had several quotes in ranging from around £200 and just under. I found a local company and they did it for me for £70 so I was pleased with that. I have my certificate and penciled in for them to do the repeat test in Jan next year. I read an article in health and safety that if you have an incident and its caused by a faulty piece of equipment that you can't show that you have had pat tested then the insurance wont pay out:eek: so well worth the money I would say. Even less than an entertainments licence, which I hate paying for:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back