Any tips on how to speed up will be GREATLY appreciated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those who haven't seen my blog, I have my first client booked in on Friday!! :D

I am not officially open yet as the summerhouse is no where near ready but she was desperate and said she would just come to my house to have them done, as she's off on holiday the next day. She wants Shellac.

I have been doing my friends nails (Shellac) every few weeks. She came last night to have them re-done so we used the opportunity as a trial run for me to get my speed up and aim to be done within 45 mins.

The lady is coming at 2pm, the only time she could do and I have to leave my house at 3pm (3.05 absolute latest) to collect my son from school. I have set myself a real challenge!!

It took me an hour and 20 to do my friends Shellac last night :(

I just can't speed up and I'm getting frustrated. It's the cuticle work that's taking the time for me. Despite the fact I do my friends nails every few weeks, she had unbelievable cuticle growth on her nail plates last night and there was a lot of filing work also. She hasn't been using her solar oil and this was really evident in the amount of work I had to do to.

I just don't know how to speed up the PEP. If the cuticle growth is as my friends was on other people, then I need to be thorough or the Shellac won't adhere properly :confused:

The position at the dining table wasn't great for me either (almost sideways on, it's an oval dining table), I was really awkward and quite cack handed as I just didn't have the space I would if I was more straight on, couldn't get my elbows out to have proper balance if that makes sense? I also had to do it with her hand on top of the Lamp as there was no space to have the lamp by the side and I actually found that quite difficult too because I didn't want to lean on it, in case I pressed a button in the middle of the curing time. So I think I will have to think again on where to do my clients' nails on Friday.

Am I just being too methodical? I am a bit of a perfectionist :rolleyes:

Any tips on how you all do your PEP or how to speed this part up would be so greatly appreciated, I HAVE to be quicker, not only for this coming Friday but for future clients, I can't over run like this!! :Scared:

Hi!! When you find the secret please let me know lol i have been out of the business for about 2 years now and I a set of gel the other day and took two and a half hours!!!!!! It was horrible but I put it down to a new product I was trying and had to check what was next every 10 mins lol. never the less the prep took ages like your client mine to had extremely bad nails as well as cuticle growth. I have just recently bought a cuticle remover a NSI vanish and its amazing, do you use cuticle remover I know silly question but I never used to use it till now and by the time you have put the cream onto all 10 fingers u can start removing where you started :) I know it sounds silly to you probably I'm super behind time lol, but thought id share x

Thanks for your reply ENVEE. I do usually use Cuticle Away but with Shellac it is recommended to do a dry PEP so there is absolutely no moisture on the nail plate. It was coming off easily, a few little stubborn bits by the eponychium and side walls but on the whole easy, just a lot of it!! Took forever :rolleyes:

Hi planky, I always use cuticle away with my pep for shellac and I have never had a problem with it lifting chipping etc so give it a go. Asking ad you make sure it washed off and nails are throughly scrubbed with scrub fresh you should be fine.

I file nails on one hand, apply cuticle away and smooth it onto the nail using my cuticle pusher. then I go onto other hand and file, then apply cuticle away. By the time I've got back to the first hand the cuticle away has done it's job so I use the cuticle pusher and then curette, and repeat on 2nd hand. HTH xxx

As a one off why don't you use your ironing board rather than your dining table as you would be at a better angle to apply the Shellac, never tried it but it may be worth a go.

Talk to the hand :lol:

Nothing wrong with good PEP

Good luck on the day and be confident

I would personally cancel and try to get her in another time. You may very well finish in the time but it will be so pressurised for you. Or miss the cuticles out totally. Explain it is because of the time.

Taking over an hour it seems is not that unusual - a lot of us take an hour/hour and a quarter it seems after reading a recent thread on here. So dont worry about your timing.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

xx

As a one off why don't you use your ironing board rather than your dining table as you would be at a better angle to apply the Shellac, never tried it but it may be worth a go.

Talk to the hand :lol:

Nothing wrong with good PEP

Good luck on the day and be confident

The ironing board is great, I have used it when my backache made if far too difficult to lean sideways across a corner of a dining table. Just cover it in a lovely plush towel and away you go. Make sure your bottles are all well shaken before she arrives.

Good luck x

The ironing board is a great idea, but if you want to look professional, be professional, your first client can be a springboard into your future.
get yourself well setup, look professional, act professional and do a professional service.
Your work area/bench is a priority .... if it's a problem .... fix it.
Try and imagine yourself as the client and what you would be expecting.
Don't talk too much, put your head down and concentrate on the service at hand ...... good luck

I would try my best to get someone to collect the little fella from School just for this occasion... easier said than done, I know, but it would really take that pressure off you and that way, you could suggest she have her toes done too.

You're under so much pressure with this being your first client and although I think an hour is plenty of time for Shellac, you are new and need to be happy with your work.

We've all been there and it does take longer to do nails when you're a newbie.

My only worry would be, your client being late... sorry to say it, but if she's 10 minutes late (which in a client's world is nothing) then you will be under even more pressure.

I would do as MHarding says and talk to the hand... PEP her nails while she's picking her colour, as this is going to take a few minutes, so while she's chatting away about her holiday and what colour will go with what, you make sure that head is down and you're working away.

If cuticles are what slows you down I would use the cuticle away, I used it all the time when I first got Shellac and I've never seen lifting... ever. Just make sure you have a little spray bottle with your water and soap so you can remove it quickly, you don't want to send her off to wash her hands as this will slow you down.

Do you have two lamps?... if you do that will speed you up a bit too, or if not perhaps you know someone that could lend you one?

If I lived near you I would not only lend you my lamp, but I would collect your little boy from School too.:wink2:

Don't panic, stay calm and you'll be fine. :hug:

The ironing board is a great idea, but if you want to look professional, be professional, your first client can be a springboard into your future.
get yourself well setup, look professional, act professional and do a professional service.
Your work area/bench is a priority .... if it's a problem .... fix it.
Try and imagine yourself as the client and what you would be expecting.
Don't talk too much, put your head down and concentrate on the service at hand ...... good luck

The OP has said that this client knows her beauty room is not ready for visitors yet and is happy to still have the treatment. I'd prefer for Planky to be concentrating on delivering a good service rather than stressing about fixing her workbench which everyone is aware is not ready yet.

The OP has said that this client knows her beauty room is not ready for visitors yet and is happy to still have the treatment. I'd prefer for Planky to be concentrating on delivering a good service rather than stressing about fixing her workbench which everyone is aware is not ready yet.

In that case, if in doubt .... don't do it at all, could you do nails on any surface?
Imagine working on a wobbly surface and being nervous (while perfecting a cuticle area), which is imperative to the product adhesion and successful service outcome ........nails begin from the foundation up ..... the foundation is you/your environment, then prep, then product.

Imagine screwing up because you have a wobbly table, I have been doing nails for over 25 years and it's very interesting to hear the excuses (particularly when competing, most of which are pathetic and easily solved) you really have to subtract the excuses (by being well prepared), then there is only one thing left to blame .... "YOU", sorry, but I'm not one for excuses when in fact you are the one in control. if I wasn't happy, I wouldn't start ...... it's "MY" reputation at stake.

Thank you so much to all of you for your replies.

Yes, my client is aware that this is an unusual circumstance and is purely because she wanted them done so badly, I didn't want to turn her away as other tech's in the area either failed to call her back or she had 2 that were apparently rude to her about fitting her in, so it's my gain and I just didn't want to turn her away.

I think the ironing board will be the best option. The dining table is just too awkward and uncomfortable, I shall go out this week and buy some lovely towels for my salon, so will use one to cover it with. As long as I do a great job of her nails, I'm pretty sure she won't find that part so unprofessional she won't come back. It's really the only alternative I have, I'm not going to go and buy a table especially for this when it's just one client and she is aware of the situation.

An*Gel, I was just thinking that I might see if there's any space in after school club just for that day, as I too had thought about her being late etc, I'm just not accomplished enough to fly through it in 45 mins as yet. And bless you, wish you were nearer me too!! :hug: I only have the one lamp, will invest in another one once I earn some money back from clients.

I suppose it's just practice and more practice to speed up, so really the best thing for me to do is try and see if after school club is an option for my son, I don't want to be clock watching or panicking that I should be getting him and I'm late. We don't know anyone here yet so no one to have him or collect him for me. Then like you say, I could even persuade her to have her toes done with Shellac or Minx :wink2:

Thanks for all the tips everyone xx :)

In your shoes I would go for three main things...

Someone to pick up your little boy from school, to take away that main stress factor (I know you've mentioned being new to the area before and I guess you looked at this first!). Also, it would help if the client was late, as has already been said by Angel.

Use the ironing board if you can. Being more comfortable, or in a position to work more efficiently is bound to speed you up. She already knows she is getting an appointment before you are open, so you are doing her a favour (even if it feels the opposite way round).

Use the Cuticle away. She is your first client and she may not have had anything done to her nails in a while, so could have lots of cuticle to remove! Using the remover will speed you up more than losing time in removing it.

Go for it! :biggrin:

Planky, if you want to try the second lamp option then you're more than welcome to borrow my spare (I've not even had it out of the box)?? I'm up in Towcester tomorrow night seeing my vocal coach (poss staying over in Milton Keynes) if you wanted to come and get it? (would offer to drop it to you but don't think my bf would be too happy with me being even later back to him!!)

Planky, if you want to try the second lamp option then you're more than welcome to borrow my spare (I've not even had it out of the box)?? I'm up in Towcester tomorrow night seeing my vocal coach (poss staying over in Milton Keynes) if you wanted to come and get it? (would offer to drop it to you but don't think my bf would be too happy with me being even later back to him!!)

What a lovely offer!!

Planky1 I was just wondering, do you have a dressing table by any chance?

A lot of dressing tables these days could easily pass as a Nail station and would be much sturdier than an ironing board.

What a lovely offer!!

Planky1 I was just wondering, do you have a dressing table by any chance?

A lot of dressing tables these days could easily pass as a Nail station and would be much sturdier than an ironing board.

..... or a breakfast bar, one of my clients I go out to mobile has a breakfst bar we sit at and it's fab. Good luck, x

Hi all,

For those who haven't seen my blog, I have my first client booked in on Friday!! :D

I am not officially open yet as the summerhouse is no where near ready but she was desperate and said she would just come to my house to have them done, as she's off on holiday the next day. She wants Shellac.

I have been doing my friends nails (Shellac) every few weeks. She came last night to have them re-done so we used the opportunity as a trial run for me to get my speed up and aim to be done within 45 mins.

The lady is coming at 2pm, the only time she could do and I have to leave my house at 3pm (3.05 absolute latest) to collect my son from school. I have set myself a real challenge!!

It took me an hour and 20 to do my friends Shellac last night :(

I just can't speed up and I'm getting frustrated. It's the cuticle work that's taking the time for me. Despite the fact I do my friends nails every few weeks, she had unbelievable cuticle growth on her nail plates last night and there was a lot of filing work also. She hasn't been using her solar oil and this was really evident in the amount of work I had to do to.

I just don't know how to speed up the PEP. If the cuticle growth is as my friends was on other people, then I need to be thorough or the Shellac won't adhere properly :confused:

The position at the dining table wasn't great for me either (almost sideways on, it's an oval dining table), I was really awkward and quite cack handed as I just didn't have the space I would if I was more straight on, couldn't get my elbows out to have proper balance if that makes sense? I also had to do it with her hand on top of the Lamp as there was no space to have the lamp by the side and I actually found that quite difficult too because I didn't want to lean on it, in case I pressed a button in the middle of the curing time. So I think I will have to think again on where to do my clients' nails on Friday.

Am I just being too methodical? I am a bit of a perfectionist :rolleyes:

Any tips on how you all do your PEP or how to speed this part up would be so greatly appreciated, I HAVE to be quicker, not only for this coming Friday but for future clients, I can't over run like this!! :Scared:

I would just go for it, you got the matter in hand! Make sure you have everything you need out ready for your clients arival, get your PEP done and just go with the flow... be aware of talking & the way it can slow you down - try not to look up to the client.. doing that is a time killer I find! Takes your focus off what you are doing. Phones ringing etc- unless it is a total emergency call just ignore.

Good luck cant wait to read about how you get on! Rachel xx

Oh my goodness what a lovely thing to offer, thank you!!!!!! :hug: If you PM me your number, can I let you know tomorrow? My only problem is time as my husband works down in London every day, so sometimes doesn't get in till quite late, so wouldn't want to come to you late!! That is just the kindest and sweetest thing, thank you xxxx

I would just go for it, you got the matter in hand! Make sure you have everything you need out ready for your clients arival, get your PEP done and just go with the flow... be aware of talking & the way it can slow you down - try not to look up to the client.. doing that is a time killer I find! Takes your focus off what you are doing. Phones ringing etc- unless it is a total emergency call just ignore.

Good luck cant wait to read about how you get on! Rachel xx

Thank you, I am quite anal about organisation so I will have everything at the ready for sure :wink2: I will update when I have done them, eeeek!! Lol!

Nicole, I don't have anyone to collect him for me but will ask school tomorrow about an after school club place and just pray there is one!!

An*Gel, no, sadly no dressing table. Only other option I have is using our coffee table and my client sit on the sofa whilst I sit on a step stool the other side, (you know the little ones that children use to reach the sink) This is how I've done it for friends before, so might do that again instead, as last time I tried the ironing board, I tried to "tuck" myself in and ended up knocking the legs of it and my products all went flying! :lol:

Thanks for all the tips and advice, really appreciate it :hug:

Latest posts

Back