Anyone ever been in a bad situation when mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca J

Reaction score
Sorry about the thread but didn't know what to call it:rolleyes:

I am planning on starting up mobile early this year and just wondering what to expect?

Has anyone ever been put in an awkward situation or threatened in any way? if so how did you handle it?

I have done a few clients nails at there homes but they have been friends of the family so I have felt relaxed.

Thanks
Rebecca

I once got propositioned by a husband and wife.. I declined and left their house straightaway. Never went back. Scared the life out of me, stopped doing mobile then.

i do some mobile clients and yes ive had one client who i was very uncomfortabe with.
i would definetely advise if you dont feel right about going then dont.

i also get my hubby to ring 30 minutes after i get there. and then i ring him when im almost finished to say 'can you come and pick me up as im almost done' even though he isnt to make them think that.

I did mobile for 10 years and never had any problems at all. I did, however have a couple of problems when working from home in Bristol when I lived there.

If you take normal precautions, make sure you have a home phone number for anyone who books with you as well as their mobile, ring them on their home number to confirm the appointment and let someone know where you are going and how long you will be. The idea about getting someone to ring you when you are there is a good one. I there is a particular area you don't want to travel to then don't!

Once you have built up your business you will get to know people and their families and be fine.

Mobile is very hard work indeed but it can be very rewarding as you make friendships with people and you will increase your client base more quickly as often there are members of the family and friends there if you are doing nails. They will see your work and book in themselves.

If you find you are uncomfortable with someone then don't go again, you have that advantage over a walk in salon, you can decide if you see them again, they can't just come in off the street!

Try not to be too put off, a bit of common sense and you will be fine.:)

thanks for the replies, comments taken on board. Will definitely make sure someone knows where I am

I noticed that not a lot of people had replied, which i suppose is a good thing really.

I am really looking forward to getting started and cant wait to be my own boss :)

x

Just go out and enjoy the freedom you will have. I wish you the best of luck and don't forget to come back and let us know how you are getting on! :)

I was mobile for a year before my home salon and i didn't have any problems...just always let someone know where you are....take the clients number (land line) and ring them back to confirm the appointment the day before (the real reason is so that you know that the person is who they say they are) and follow your gut instint...if something doesn't feel right...leave.

I only had one issue.

I had a regular client that was a referral from someone else, and she was great the first three times I went to see her. We'd talk, I would cut her hair, play with her dog, and she would pay me. Fine and dandy.

Then, when I was 8 months pregnant with my son she calls me to come over to cut her hair, as it was her birthday and she was going out to eat that evening. So, off I went. We talked, I played with her dog, I started cutting her hair and halfway through the haircut she asks me if she could pay me in a few days because it was her birthday and she had to pay for her birthday dinner, et cetera. I thought, this woman is a bit simple minded, pretty much stays at home all the time, I felt compassionate for her. At this point, what is going on in my mind is, why did she not ask me before the haircut? Why after I was well into it?

So I agree, and ask her that she pay me within two weeks. She agrees.

I call her up after three weeks, and ask her when can I expect payment?

Then the excuses came, and I explain to her our initial conversation, that I wasn't to be even working due to strict doctor's orders, I risked my health and my son's health to cut her hair b/c it was her birthday, that I expected her to complete her end of the bargain and pay me for the services rendered. She agreed, and we set up a time for me to come over.

I knock on her door, and thought she would just hand me the money, and asked me to come in. I little bell went off in my head, but, I thought, she was okay before, I can handle myself.

Not only did she scream at the top of her lungs, she got right in my face and started threatening to hit me, and I had to try to calm her down. Telling her she was right, agreeing with everything she said, inching myself to the front door. She finally handed me the cash, and I thanked her very much and told her to have a good day.

Would you believe this woman wanted me to cut her hair again a few weeks later, and that she was sorry for terrorizing me? I didn't return her calls.

In trying to think about how I could have avoided this situation, the next time this were to happen, I should have said when she asked me to pay her later as I was in the middle of the service, "sure, I will come back and finish the haircut when you are ready to pay me", promptly pick up my things, and tell her to have a nice day.

I could have just let her get a freebie for my own mistake of agreeing to it, but it came down to an issue of respect for me, not the money.

Is this an odd situation? Yes. In the years I have done mobile work, I did not expect it. Moral of the story is you have to always think of the unthinkable, and have a plan of action just in case.

Wow Tanya, thatis one crazy b*tch-a*s client!! U had a lucky escape! I dread this every happening to me, I've just gone mobile too but I've only ever been to peoples houses that have been a client before my mobile business started, I'm dreading random people booking me to come round incase they are weirdos etc, but I suppose I'll get more confident after I do a few peoples hair/tan that I don't know. I just hope I never get into a situation like that! Although I think that woman knew you would back down as you were pregnant, not like you coulda done anything about it like! x

Hi
I am mobile and I’ve mainly focused on uni students. I’ve yet to expand myself to non students ( so its good to read the stories above)

Though the trouble I have with students is that they tend to call their mates over who like to look around in my nail box and my varnishes (which I always have to ask them not to touch as I don’t want anything getting damaged or more importantly stolen) and if their phone rings they like to stop getting their nails done until they finish their call which means you can overrun your allocated appointment time.

After a few minor teething problems, I now make it clear that if I go over the allocated appointment time due to their interruptions, I will charge them a little extra and I always ask for payment half way through because I don’t want to do freebies and if they have more then 2 mates in the room I will ask for them to leave as it makes me feel uncomfortable as the ratio is 1:x many people.

Another tip to add to this thread is to have 2 up to date diary's with all your appointment and clients details in them and leave one at home. then if you do get into trouble someone else will have the details of where you are. you just gotta remember to keep the one at home up to date :)
xxx

Hi My first ever mobile was at this house where the lady was drunk and fell asleep while doing her nails, her hubby was sat there half drunk and said dont worry just carry on lol I couldn't wait to get out and I never went back, did it for another six month but just found it to hard carrying everything table chairs ohhh everything lol so done a room up now in the house.
Good Luck :)

Yes, Lisa, it was pretty messed up.

But. It was one incident. She was a referral from someone else, and she was fine the few other times I cut her hair.

I upset her by asking to be paid for the haircut I gave her. I hadn't gone mobile for a while after that, I realize it really was out of the norm, as I have had great clients for years.

There is always going to be a risk, as one is entering someone's living space. This shouldn't discourage anyone from going mobile, it's just important to get all of their details before going, maybe accepting a small deposit, being neat so things can be picked up quickly, having a back up plan, and maybe reading a few psychology books in case of anything :)

Tanya

I will add the psychology books to the stack of nail books I am currently reading lol :lol:

I now have a beauty room but was mobile for a year and yesterday I was asked to do a hen party and i thought why not.

I did all the treatments listed and went to take payment. I knew one client hadn't paid and kept a close eye on her expecting her to pay any minute as everyone else was. I then went and asked her "are you waiting for change? just i've got loads if you want to pay now?" She said "I've already paid" I knew she hadn't but i went and checked my money just to double check and i was exactly £20 down which was how much her treatment was.

What can you do when the woman is lying but insisting she's paid?

I hate doing mobile work as this would have never happened in the beauty room. People seem to think they can get away with things when your not on your own territory

I now have a beauty room but was mobile for a year and yesterday I was asked to do a hen party and i thought why not.

I did all the treatments listed and went to take payment. I knew one client hadn't paid and kept a close eye on her expecting her to pay any minute as everyone else was. I then went and asked her "are you waiting for change? just i've got loads if you want to pay now?" She said "I've already paid" I knew she hadn't but i went and checked my money just to double check and i was exactly £20 down which was how much her treatment was.

What can you do when the woman is lying but insisting she's paid?

I hate doing mobile work as this would have never happened in the beauty room. People seem to think they can get away with things when your not on your own territory

I would have collected the money before the treatment but if this had happened I would speak to the person who organised the party and get them to collect they payment. She could then say to the group someone hasn't paid can you all check you have, this may have embarrassed her into doing so or the host may have paid the missing money. I have never had any problems. Maybe next time you safe guard against this by getting the clients to sign on a list when you receive their money :hug:

Latest posts

Back