Are nail comps fixed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantrum

Reaction score
Hi all
nail comps are coming up over here soon, the theme has just been released. but now i've heard lots of people have their photo's / boxed nail art completed since finding out the theme in april. They've already done them in a training academy for an in house comp. same thing happened last year:confused:

i think it's very unfair, not just for me but everyone involved.
does this happen much:confused:

update: just seen the B.I.T.E facebook page, looks like im not the only one heard this

Last edited:
Hi Tantrum,
I am new to all this competition stuff but was contemplating entering these competitions this year but have seen a few people questioning this about others knowing the theme in advance so now I am not so sure but it really doesn't give you much faith if people have already got there entries done they prob have already picked the winner too....it just doesn't seem fair

Hiya
nope its not great, last year i went along to peep at everyones work and was well pleased with what i'd done ( as in the live comp ) and ok fair enough i did'nt get placed but everyone from 1 brand was. fair enough if my works not skilled enough but a lot there were slightly miffed about judges knowing the winners. i would rather keep to myself and be judged on my work alone, not who i'm pally with:irked: plus i defo seen 1 of the photos months and months before the comp...

hopefully things will change soon x

I too have been to some shows and its amazing how many people come 1st or 2nd and the judges turn out to be someone they work with or someone who has taught them prior to the comp. Keep your eye one the nail mags and you soon get to know which judge is working with which winner...

Well it doesn't give you much confidence when considering entering these competitions which is a shame.

Well I am an international judge and have judged loads of competitions and naturally in a small industry like our I know loads of the competitors, but when those models hands come under the curtain one has no way of knowing who those hands belong to or who did the nails. What would one gain from fixing a comp even if it was possible. When you look at the winning nails it is usually more than clear that the nails are the winners. I always declare to the adjudicator, the names of the competitors I know personally just to be on the safe side in case someone like the poster of this thread wants to cast doubt on my honesty.

Years ago I would hear disgruntled loosers say things like .. it's always CND who wins or, if you don't use CND you won't win!! Utter rubbish ... CND won everything because CND technicians were the ones who made up the majority of the competitors in those days.

As for photographic comps .. how long do you need to know the theme and do something nice with it? If your work is outstanding you will win, whether you have had a week or 3 months to do the job.

I find it quite insulting that such sour grapes should lead someone to start a thread that insults the integrity of the judges (people like myself) who give their time to do this thankless job of judging and who would never dream of stooping so low.

Well Geeg,
I have to agree with everything you have said because it makes so much sense I don't have much experience with competitions but had heard the rumors which for someone with no experience seems a little scary but as you just explained the hands are not seen by the judges so how would they know.

Well Geeg,
I have to agree with everything you have said because it makes so much sense I don't have much experience with competitions but had heard the rumors which for someone with no experience seems a little scary but as you just explained the hands are not seen by the judges so how would they know.

The judges never get near the floor of the competition .. that is what the floor judge is for ... as a judge you dont know what the models are wearing .. they are not allowed to wear rings that could be identified and the hands only have a number on them. There are usually 3-6 judges ALL who mark separately. I for instance always mark really Low .. I'm hard .. others are not .. it is an AVERAGE of all that is taken.

woah some response!!
fair enough maybe i did come across as cheeky but valid question and there are other people that feel the same (i'm the type of person says what i think), i know how its supposed to be judged and fair play to the judges giving their time but i do wonder in this instance as i have seen the judge through..

Geeg how you feel it is a dig at you or CND is beyond me and im sorry if you felt it was. Im not the type of person to be catty, bitchy or rude to anyone!

by the way it is definately not a case of sour grapes ( i could'nt even be bothered now to get into any type of explanation )

No point in discussing this thread further as i really dont even care anymore

have yourself a nice day

I've had a great day thanks ...

I take things like this personally as I am a cometition judge .. understandable?

I never said it was anyhting to do with CND but just giving an example of how the 'sour grapes brigade' love to find someone or something to blame. That really is not beyond anyone to understand, I don't think.

Last edited:
I'm a judge too. (I once was a comp organiser also) It depends on the comp organiser. There have been lots of occasions when certain judges have tried their best to fix things!! A good comp organiser will catch them!!! I caught a few and I know that the comps I judge at are very vigilant!

If there is a category where work must be original (e.g. photographic, mixed media etc) and someone has seen it before in a comp or elsewhere (especially by anther technician) they should let the organisers know with some evidence!

You may not be aware of these misdemeanour's as it isn't a 'good look' for anyone but, believe me, cheats are caught as often as possible.

A comp with a good reputation should be as safe as possible!

More fool anyone who cheats anyway! I just dont see what you'd get out of it, you have everything to lose (integrity, respect) and nothing to gain as you would never be able to hold your head up and say you honestly believe your work is great- if it is it will win fairly.
I cant wait until I'm ready to compete and the thought of cheats would certainly not put me off anyway as so many that do compete and do or even don't win say they learn so much from doing so whether they win or lose... so just the extra skill I will gain in having a go is enough for me to want to do it.
A good start for me will be to see a comp first, so I look forward to September!

I too have judged several competitions ,and the point of having more than one judge from different backgrounds and companies ,is to try to be as fair as possible,and after each competition as a judge you have to be prepared to answer judges critique,this is where you justify your dissision ,so you need to be able to explain your marks, there is no self gain to being a judge or payment , hope this help enter the competition you may supprise yourself kay

In any well run competition there will be a head judge who looks at all judges scoresheets and will immediately spot any irregularity. Secondly, most good competitions provide the competitors with all their scores so that they can see what improvements are made and also that everything is seen as open (i.e. competitors can compare results).

Finally, judges develop a reputation. Good (competent) judges get invited to more competitions so the process takes care of itself. Similarly, competitions and organisers also get a reputation.

The problem with hand-in nail art competitions is the question of who actually did the work. But if someone suddenly enters work that is way above their usual level, someone will notice.

As for someone doing the work while at an academy - I might be slow but I don't understand the problem. If that person still did the work, so what? What if someone did the work but another more experienced colleague gave advice? How should that be policed? Or do you blame the judges for that too?!

As for 1 brand having success - I can see that would make you suspicious but some company's simply encourage people more people to enter and may have more competition success - so can train their people better.

By your argument you would never enter a competition because of the risk of 'fixing' in your eyes. Well that's a silly attitude. The best argument would be to work hard to develop your skills and enter many competitions - they simply can't be all fixed!

Judges aren't paid and often pay their own expenses for their love of the industry. Many judges have been competitors (or some like Iryna still are) and they are passionate about judging to the best of their ability and to ensure fairness for the competitors (who they well understand have practiced hard and also paid for travel and entry).

Last edited:
I have entered quite a few competitions, been on the podium a few times but have never got that winning trophy. I would say that most of the winning nails have been very deserved.

Any of the competitors I know work really hard to get on that podium and win. There wouldn't be so many competitors if it was thought the competitions were fixed.

I have also judged and I must say it was exhausting and a real eye opener to the responsibility and hard work involved. The judges work so hard behind the scenes trying to make sure that the best entrant wins. I take my hat of to them.

I know a lot of the judges because I have competed quite a few times and I also know a lot of the other regular competitors. I love the buzz of competing and would love to give it another go to get my hands on one wee trophy but I no longer have the spare time to devote all the hard work, time and energy that goes into competing. Hopefully, I'll be able to give it another shot in the future.

Adopt a positive attitude, up your game, give it your best, enjoy the challenge, enjoy the learning and go for it! Good luck! x:hug:

woah some response!!
fair enough maybe i did come across as cheeky but valid question and there are other people that feel the same (i'm the type of person says what i think), i know how its supposed to be judged and fair play to the judges giving their time but i do wonder in this instance as i have seen the judge through..

Geeg how you feel it is a dig at you or CND is beyond me and im sorry if you felt it was. Im not the type of person to be catty, bitchy or rude to anyone!

by the way it is definately not a case of sour grapes ( i could'nt even be bothered now to get into any type of explanation )

No point in discussing this thread further as i really dont even care anymore

have yourself a nice day

Actually this thread has brought up some great points and could have been a good discussion if the original post had been better worded.

I read your thread starter as mainly being about the Photographic and or Mixed Media Boxed entries for Nail Art competitions. But this may not have been clear to everyone (in fact I could even be wrong!) therefore it has come across as an accusation that competitions are rigged and the judges are biased.

No wonder you have had a strong reaction to that from some of the leading names and top judges in the business.
Intentionally or not, you attacked their reputations, so don't be surprised when they defend themselves.

In that defence some great information has been put on here about competiton judging which I have found interesting. Although I think it has mainly been about the main competition categories.

Has anyone some information about how the judging is done for the mixed media/boxed media and photographic competitions?

Are people allowed to enter the same pictures to different competitions and do they not also have to submit original drawing ideas and step by steps to whow how it all came together?

Has anyone some information about how the judging is done for the mixed media/boxed media and photographic competitions?

Are people allowed to enter the same pictures to different competitions and do they not also have to submit original drawing ideas and step by steps to whow how it all came together?

The judging is done blind just like salon nails. When the pieces are entered, usually the head judge adds a number to the entry and also for which competition it is entered (i.e. hand painted novice or master). They they make sure that there are no other identification marks.

So all the judges see the the work and they should have no idea whose it is. Having said that - with hand painting or mixed media each artist tends to have a style which could be recognised by experienced judges - but again their reputation is on the line to judge honestly.

To answer the second part of your question - it depends on the competition. For the competition in question, I read the rules and it's clear that this has to be unique work and never entered in any other competition. This means if the poster can prove that the Academy held an internal competition on the same theme and entered the winning work in the October comp - then that competitor could be barred. Other comps such as Nailympics do allow work to be entered that has been entered in other comps : "All entries must be new to the Nailympics and can only be entered one time at this competition. "

Personally I think no judge should have any close relationship to any competitor. In a perfect world they would all be international judges - but few organizers would pay for the travel etc. In Russia especially there is some cheating as the judges are often the owners of distribution companies and their techs are competitors.

===

Yes, the original poster could have been clearer and did manage to raise a few hackles. I have since looked on the Facebook page she refers to and I understand her concerns - several people commented that on Academy appears to have have prior notice of the nail art theme (since April), while the official announcement was made 2 weeks ago. As the comp is on 1st week October - from my perspective that would seem to have given the others an unfair advantage - IF THIS SITUATION IS AS APPEARS.

In any case, announcing a box theme just 2 months ahead seems short notice from what I've seen at other comps. Given a box of tips can take 50 to 150 hours to create (or more) - it can be challenging then to find the time to do good work.

Having said that - even comp organizers are human! ;-) Mistakes happen sometimes as it's a lot of work to organize. We attended a show last year - and sponsored two competitors at quite a cost - only to find out that a) the organizer didn't have a clue what mixed media was so people were entering 6" high dragons on tips and b) the rules in Russian were different to the rules in the other european language. We were seriously unimpressed! (However, one of our sponsored competitors won anyway because her work was outstanding - but the other girl saw her marks penalised by the mistakes in the rules).

Last edited:
Oh dear! Tantrum appears to have taken offence and 'left the building'! (maybe there's a clue in the name :))

That's a shame as a lot of people have taken the trouble to answer and help allay any fears

This is one of those threads where it's so sad there's misunderstandings. But boy have I learned a lot, I'm competing for the first time this year, but planning on competing abroad too, so I have found this thread very valuable.

Thanks to all of you judges (and competitors/geeks) who have spent the time answering and explaining...

I'm competing for the first time this year, but planning on competing abroad too, so I have found this thread very valuable.

Good for you!

I saw that you are in Denmark - perhaps you should look at the Baltic Beauty Show in Riga on 29th Oct to 31st Oct. Here's a link to the page that says what competitions are held:

BALTIC BEAUTY WORLD

It's a nice show and has some good competitions, plus Riga has a very nice medieval old town by the river. Food and hotels are cheap as chips!

If you need the rules in English, email or pm me. I'll get them from the wife ;-)

Latest posts

Back