Are You A Car Badge Snob?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
Title says it all really, lol

The reason I ask is that the other week, my beloved Golf went in for bumper repairs (car got hit in Sainsbury's car park!)

My insurance sorted it all out for me & they arranged for me to have a brand spanking new BMW. Now, it was a lovely car & I felt a cool dude driving it but was glad to get my Golf back.

(I was in a car accident last summer & had another brand new Bemmer for nearly 3 weeks. Couldn't wait to get my motor back!)

My 2 daughters weren't overly impressed by the BMW either, lol.

Anyway, I got my car back, the BMW was collected then I noticed the wrong bumper had been put back on my car.

So, off it goes back to the garage & I get their courtesy car, which was a little Skoda. While I thought it was quite zippy and did the job for 24 hours I'm not sure I'd go out and buy one, lol. I remember the stigma of old about Skodas...

I hold my hands up & admit I am a car snob!! Who else will admit to it?

Oh dear that's me too! I'm lucky enough to always have good cars as we both work hard bur a few years ago we had a rough patch & I had to trade down for a bit to what I feel was a lesser brand car, I didn't put my number plate on it incase anyone saw me & I once sat crying at the traffic lights when my old car drove
past me! I traded in after 6mths, I'm not a loony honest haha ;)

Holding my hand up to this one whilst I still can:sad:

I have a Lexus rx400 hybrid and I am looking to trade it in for a more sensible (shudder) car.

Yip , deffo agree to that one lol. I am lucky as I work full time as a sales manager for a transport company and part time nail tech and I have a company car so it's not so sore on the old pocket x

I think we all have a degree of snobbishness about us but about different things.
Cars are not my thing but i am snobbish about skincare if i see someone using wipes or some cheap old stuff i do think ugh how could they.
My husbands snobbish about shoes and spends far too much on them.
My daughter handbags and purses.My son won't have cheap pants sticking above his jeans :D

My sister drives a Skoda Octavia and she absolutely loves her car. Skodas are very well made but they do have a stigma attached to them.
Now I am buying a new car soon. I currently drive a Mazda and I love my car but the poor thing is on it's last legs. I was going to wait until the mot was up early next year but my exhaust has just started blowing so I've been looking at different cars.
Now my husband who thinks he's an expert in cars, keeps telling me which cars he thinks I should have. Grrrrrrr. I keep looking at them and saying 'but they are ugly'!
I'm not a snob with makes but the car has to look nice to me. And I would not in a million years drive a Reliant Robin! I'd rather get a bus!

I'm afraid I will own up to being a car snob 2 then :( lol I have had a few run about which did the job and I now have a Toyota corolla T sport and totally love it!! For me a skoda is a no no but admittedly they r starting to look nicer nowadays :) everyyone to their own I say lol xx

I'll hold my hand up to being a car snob too :o. I'd rather walk, even with my really bad back, than be seen in a Skoda (or simliar car), let alone own one!

I'm sad to say I'm the same with my cosmetics, hair care and skin care but not with my clothes, as long as they feel comfortable, look good and last well, I don't care where they come from lol

Sam xx

I don't think Skoda's are that bad. In fact they are meant to be very good! I personally wouldn't buy one because of the stigma but I have a Ford S-Max which is hardly sexy, and a VW Transporter T5, which I had to buy because the numberplate is T5 UGO and I call it the ugo-mobile, Hugo's lounge on wheels:lol: (Hugo is my son, I'm hoping it'll still be going when he's old enough to drive:lol:)

No i am not a car snob. Cars are just a way of getting from a to b. I am more interested in where someones head is at rather than what shiny little alloys they are sporting

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

If only i had the money to be a car snob my last car was a Fix It Again Tomorrow punto and now share my Hubby's hideous green blue Picasso which i call the bryn mobile! Mind you right now I'd take a larda just to have some wheels of my own. ;)

I just got a little Peugeot 206 but have has nothing but grief. I must admit I'm a car snob, would not drive a skoda. I hate fords too for some reason. Mind you, with the OH being a mechanic I don't have much choice but to get a car he likes to work on!

I'm totally in the 'if it looks nice I'll get it' club though haha x

I am a car snob. I have owned a BMW s since 1991 love them but Madame nouvatan hates them. She actually wrote my compact 318ti off within 14 hours of me lending it too her when we first met. She s not a lover of rear wheel drive but we had a 330 coupe after the compact that i loved but it scared her to death. Last year we decided to trade it in and went to the BMW showroom to look at a 1 series For her
We came home with a red MINI !!!! She once again got her own way and got a front wheel drive car it's a BMW but there is NO BADGE the American minis have The Badge and It really peeved me. it's a great little car and we have had it logo d with the company images all over it and we couldn't do that with many other cars
I also drive a mitsubishi 4x4 it's a wreck and it's 21 years old but it's great for pulling trailers going to the tip fishing taking the dogs out ect. I am looking to replace it now and I fancy an x5 but Madame wants a new mitsi L200 warrior crew cab pickup, and as she's the honey with the money. She will get her own way no doubt :irked:

I am a car snob. I have owned a BMW s since 1991 love them but Madame nouvatan hates them. She actually wrote my compact 318ti off within 14 hours of me lending it too her when we first met. She s not a lover of rear wheel drive but we had a 330 coupe after the compact that i loved but it scared her to death. Last year we decided to trade it in and went to the BMW showroom to look at a 1 series For her
We came home with a red MINI !!!! She once again got her own way and got a front wheel drive car it's a BMW but there is NO BADGE the American minis have The Badge and It really peeved me. it's a great little car and we have had it logo d with the company images all over it and we couldn't do that with many other cars
I also drive a mitsubishi 4x4 it's a wreck and it's 21 years old but it's great for pulling trailers going to the tip fishing taking the dogs out ect. I am looking to replace it now and I fancy an x5 but Madame wants a new mitsi L200 warrior crew cab pickup, and as she's the honey with the money. She will get her own way no doubt :irked:

How about an m5? Yummy! Not good in the snow though so you'll still need the Mitsubishi:D

I am totally a car snob now I can afford it. I spent 15 years driving around in various heaps of s*** from Fords, Vauxhalls and Renaults never knowing if they would start or if they would just fall apart half way up the M11.

Now I will only drive an Audi, Mercedes or a BMW (my Fav) although at the moment I'm in a Mini JCW which is really a BMW now anyway.

To be fair to Ford, Vauxhall and Renault, they may be better these days as I am talking about the ones that I owned over 20 years ago but I don't care, I'm not buying one to find out.

Hoping one day to progress to Jaguar, Ferrari or Aston Martin (yes please!)

x

I'm not really a car snob, but I bought a bright red alfa romeo spider in June and I do just love cruisin around topless!
Show off!

No i am not a car snob. Cars are just a way of getting from a to b. I am more interested in where someones head is at rather than what shiny little alloys they are sporting

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Furthermore to prove exactly how not a car badge snob I am, I can tell you all that I drive a Nissan Micra :), which I got because it is both cheap and reliable.

It reminds me of a friend I have who is a successful writer. She lives in a 17th century coach house in wiltshire which is full of great original art. She drives a crappy car and has a twentieth century television that isnt widescreen and doesnt sit on the wall. She doesnt have tonnes of white goods, rolex watches or any other status symbols. That being said she is sparkling company, highly intelligent and wickedly funny.

If I had a dinner party and had to chose as a guest between someone who obsesses over their "stuff" and how much more important it makes them than others as opposed to someone with depth and personality. I think I would know who I would chose.

Perhaps we should have a thread that discusses the difference between people with "labels" and people with class.

My hubby is also a mechanic so won't have a car he doesn't enjoy working on!! We have a few cars as he is spoilt and enjoys the different things they all do ( I don't drive as such but surely the all do the same haha ) He is a proper car snob in some senses - he has a Jaguar XJ8 4.0 V8, a Jaguar X type 2.5 V6, a Mitsubishi Pajero - old but reliable and pulls anything you throw at it apart from the ladies haha, a Mercedes SL300 convertible ( mine for when I pass my test lol ) and a Toyota Corolla GTi 1.6 16v - again old but that thing flies and handles like a dream, I did my first driving lessons in her!

Would actually have a new Skoda myself, they are VW owned now and seem ok. Fords am not a fan of although the X type is bish bosh of Jag and Ford.

My ideal dream car? A Morgan without doubt or a really old Inspector Morse style Jag :D xx

Wanted to add though despite the fact that my hubby and I like nice cars and gadgets etc we are not self obsessed people and much prefer good company also :D xx

I'm definitely not, as I don't enjoy driving much.
However......I sometimes get to ride, as a passenger, in a Bentley convertible and am ashamed to say I like to imagine the admiring glances....what a poser!
BTW my daughter has a Skoda Yeti and loves it.

I'm a car snob - although I've only ever owner 1 car. My Renault Clio that arrived brand new on the day I passed my test 9 years ago courtesey of the Halifax's loan department!

I say I'm a snob because my other half has had a 350z, a Lotus Exige, an Audi A4 and more recently a brand new 'poser' white BMW 320d dynamic sport thingy that does like 65mpg.

He knows EVERYTHING about cars, he can correctly quote the horse power on a car I've never even heard of! But because he's so into them, so am I now, and I expect when I come to choose my next car I'll do a lot of research into choosing the right one.

Latest posts

Back