Asking for advice on how to "Control Clients"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teebster

Reaction score
Yesterday was the worst working day I have ever had. Everything went wrong and I now it was my fault as I did not know how to control my clients during the treatment, but I am just so upset by what happened and have laid awake all night worrying what I should do in future. I don't think I should have to control my clients, but I can now see I have to be strict and in control of the situation at all times, but how would experienced nail techs have dealt with this situation.

I have a mum and daughter that come together. I know them socially but not as friends as acquaintances and because they started as case studies when I was training and went on to become clients, they still recieve all their treatments at a discount.

They were booked in for Luxury Pedicure with Bio Sculpture Gel Toes and Luxury Manicure each. I have never done a manicure on either of them before only peds.

Firstly they arrive 45 mins late and I have a full day so this means the space after them for getting a drink and something quick to eat as well as cleaning my salon has now gone (not complaining I need the business and money). The daughter in law drops mum-in-law off and will come back.

Mum's fingers and nails had so much dirt under them it took forever to get them clean. She stopped smoking two months ago but the tar or nicotine was so badly built up it formed a dark brown gunge around and under her nails on her right hand and was ingrained in to her skin and cuticles. Her nails were so badly cared for - deep virtical furrows and cracks, broken, dry, picked at and the cuticles were terrible and dirty. She never ever uses gloves or moisturises. It took me ages and I over run 20 mins because I had so much work to do and my client had to keep getting up to stretch because she gets stiff and wanted the toilet. I gave her constant home care advice and recommended products to help her. She was so pleased with her manicure and the results afterwards. Pedicure was fine but difficult as usual as she is obese and has age related mobility problems plus her feet and nails are in bad condition (they come every four months not regular so there is always a lot to do).

Daugher turns up and she has with her her 11 year old and a friend's child as well. My home salon is only small, enough for the two of them comfortably but no more. She walks in as says to the children "go in to the lounge be quite and behave"!!!!!!!!! I was so cross:mad: I start on her treatment and she in a very obvious, really bad mood - I don't know why but she is being unhelpful and would not co-opeative, sighing and passing sarcastic comments - Remember she was late to start with not me but I have over run 20 mins on her mum's manicure because of the condition of her nails. During the treatment she kept calling the children in to my tiny sallon and had them sitting on her lap and then one of the children accidentally kicked her pedicure foot bowl full of water over as she got off her lap. They kept touching everything and complaining they were hungry. Mum is being sarcastic about the time and saying its nearly lunch time, then asks what food I have that they can eat as the kids are hungry!!!! The whole situation was just getting stupid and out of hand and I felt like I was being bullied in my own salon.

Now comes the time to pay and she stops her mum purchasing homecare treatment products that I have recommened for her nails and says its a "bloody cheek as that is what she has just come to me for - YOU DON'T HAVE A DOG AND BARK YOURSELF!!:cry:" so wont let her buy anything. When I go to write up her bill and receipt she challenges me as I had an offer on last month to attract client's that if you recommend a new client you got a treatment half price. She claimed that she had sent a client to me and wanted her gel toes half price (she already gets them discounted). The client in question was not recommended by her I know, our children just go to the same dancing classes and she just asked her where she got her pedicure.

I was so fed up and needed to get ready for my next client and take a migraine medication that I said fine and let her have the treatment half the already discounted price. Last night when I sat down and did my day book I had taken £53 less on their treatments than my list price and lost aftercare sales of £18 which the daughter would not let the Mum purchase.

When I tried to talk to my husband he just said it was my fault for letting people walk all over me and I would be better off without people like that. I know that is not true and I can't afford to turn clients away, I don't have enough anyway. My question to those of you experienced nail techs is - if someone turns up late that is going to throw the rest of your bookings out potentially and then on top her nails are so bad and awful, what would you do and say? Has it ever happend to you and what did you do? I really hate not doing the best job possible but that is what caused the problem isn't it really :smack: (as well as the children turning up really, really annoyed me!!!!!!) xx

Last edited:
Blimey, what an awful day for you hun:hug:

I can sympathise wholeheartedly with you regarding the kids, I had a similar problem about a year ago - here's a link the the thread......
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/64886-clients-kids.html

As far as these two clients of your go - they have no respect for you hun, they are treating you like an idiot - why should they expect to pay full price, when you've always given them a discount is what they are thinking.
I'd stop it right now! Drop them a line/call/text and tell them that as from now on, all their future appointments will be at FULL PRICE.
If you need to explain it to them, tell them you are grateful that they have been available as models etc, but now their 'special' prices have come to and end. They are more than welcome, but at the full price.
Tbh, you could do without people like these if they treat you this way. If you lose them as clients (which I'd be glad to), then you will have the time to concentrate on better clients.

This link is a follow on to the 1st thread I did above.....
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/64938-i-got-reply-my-client-re-text-about-kids-salon.html

I was delighted this client 'sacked' herself, she was causing me too much stress & I dreaded her appointments.

Some people think, that because you work from home, you are not running a business but playing with your hobby!!!!!!!:irked::grr:

BEV ROSE: Thank you for your reply I will read your thread and pluck up the courage sit down and send out a letter may be as a mailer so it dose not look personal explaining about discounts having to stop.

I think you are right they think it is "JUST" a hobby not a business.

I am just so upset today, for the first time ever I am glad I am going to the dentist for a root canal treatment today and not working, the pain will take my mind off yesterday and give me something else to worry about.

Thank you xxx

As for being 45mins late, well unless I really do have enough time to fit people in, I don't just squeeze people in. It's bad enough when people are 10 minutes late, but 45!!!! I am gobsmacked!:eek: I would have told her to re-arrange, to be honest.

Yes, that's a good point about the lateness :hug:

As for being 45mins late, well unless I really do have enough time to fit people in, I don't just squeeze people in. It's bad enough when people are 10 minutes late, but 45!!!! I am gobsmacked!:eek: I would have told her to re-arrange, to be honest.
I completely agree 45 minutes is ridiculous! What if you had other clients waiting? Really feel for you, why should you be giving them cheap treatments? You are fully qualified now so should be charging them your normal prices. It was really good of you to let them have discounted prices because they were case studies for you but you are trying to run a business and have to think of yourself! I had a similar problem with a clients children. They were so naughty and would be pulling things out of cupboards and climbing on stuff e.t.c. In the end I spoke to my client but put it accross about the childrens safety. Just said it was very dangerous because of hot wax, chemicals e.t.c. and said I couldn't concentrate when doing her treatments because I was watching her childrens safety instead. She was completely understanding and hasn't brought them since. She now says how much more relaxed she is and can really enjoy her treatments.:hug:

If I have a client that is that late, booked in for a couple of treatments, I would explain that I can do one of the treatments only, but she will be subject to my cancellation charge, (half of the missed treatment price). The only time I wouldnt charge this is if it was a genuine problem her being late, ie car broke down but she had text/called me to let me know she would be late.
This may sound harsh but I found that the people who just turn up late without any real reason, do so time and time again. It only takes one cancellation charge normally and they see the error of their ways, lol
Be professional and firm in your explanation of why the charge, people will respect you for it, (normally, lol)

Thinking about what happened you are right I should just have said from the start that I one of them would have to drop a treatment as they were late. The trouble is when you are starting out trying to build up your business you bend over backwards to be accommodating. They started off 45 minutes late and I ended up being 20 minuites over my time even though I felt out of my depth with the Mum's nails and the fact she can't sit still - so I thought I had done well and was thinking on my feet to bring the time down and still give the best possible treatment.

I did think that to be perfectly honest I should have said that my insurance does not cover me to have children present whilst working but even if they had of stayed in my lounge, which I was not prepared for I would still not be happy as no one was looking after them and I could hear them walking around. Does any one ever put in their leaflets/price list anything about children - I would not know how to word it incase it sounded rude and unacceptable????

Sorry you had a rough day. You could perhaps use the old Health and Safety reason to not have children in the room; chemicals, fumes (there probably aren't any, but they don't need to know that!)
As for the lateness I give my clients 15 mins and if they're still late I call them, just to confirm the appointment.
As has been said before you need to take control of your clients. Sometimes it's hard though!
Re: homecare products. I always use the dentist analogy: you wouldn't dream of not brushing your teeth inbetween dental visits, would you!

Good luck with your root canal work today!

When you are new and eager, it is difficult to be friendly and firm at the same time :hug: Unfortunately it takes horrible experiences like this to teach us and to toughen us up.

Bev Rose has offered great advice. These clients are already costing you money so make your terms tough enough that they either sack themselves or come to heel. In either case you will be better off.

You know, when people offer to be models it is such a great help when starting out ... BUT it doesn't mean you have to be grateful in perpetuity!!!

The whole problem you had yesterday was due to a lack of communication. Models need to know from the outset that as long as you need models, you will repay them with a lower price but when they are no longer modeling ... it's OVER.

Put the horrible day behind you and learn from it. It's how we all get there in the end.

Hope the dentist appt. goes well for you today.

How about
"as much as we love children, the salon is not an appropriate place for them. We respectfully ask that you don't bring children with you for your appointment. Thank you for your understanding"

hi hun,
i really feel for you! twice i have done enhancements with kids around and felt soooo stressed at the end of it that i didnt feel as though i had done the job properly as i was far too distracted plus the oldet daughter whose only 12 wanted a step by step of what i was doing and why!!!
I cant really advise on alot of it as ive only been in the nail industry a short time, however before this i had a retail business with my partner. We had a set of terms and conditions both by the cash desk and also on our website. One of the t&c's was that any promotions/offers were on original prices and would not be used in conjunction with other offers.
This meant if they belonged to a certain group or had f&f discount they had to choose one or the other- not both! its was unfair of her to do that to you as you had obviously put yourself out already and doing them discount asit was. some peopleare just rude,dont let it get you down.

Thank you so much for all your replies and help its really kind of you all and I can see where I went so wrong now. I really appreciate all your support and the time you have taken to help me.

Your right Geeg - I need to put it behind me and move on, I am just feeling oversensitive today I guess and its knocked my confidence. Thank you xxx

Calla thanks for the wording thats great. xx

Don't let it knock your confidence.

When you are 'in the moment' it is difficult to know what to do.
You then go home, reflect, seek opinion etc and when the next situation arises, you know how to handle it, you have y our answers ready even when you are 'in the thick of the situation'.

Honey, it is called experience and you don't gain experience unless you have experiences right? Learning from them and not letting them knock your confidence is what is important.

I feel for you hun i had a client yest when i got to her house she had 4 kids!! 2 of which were girls so they were asking loads of questions and touching i was getting quiet cross esp as the mum didnt seemed bothered!!

Like you i need the money but have decided i dont need it that much to have such hassle!! Clients like that are not worth your time and energy hun they are quiet frankly taking the p*** out of you and you are letting them!

Im new too hun and i struggled yesterday to be firm so i do now how hard it is!

Good luck hope you get it sorted:hug:

I totally relate to your story 100%, I understand when you are starting out you want and need all the clients you can get.
I had a lady like this who first kept on coming 30 mins late and I excused it, then she came 45 mins late for a treatment the next week and I told her she would have to rebook as I couldn't complete the treatment in 15 mins. I though that might teach her to come on time, the next appointment she was 1 hour late!!! I couldn't believe it!!!:eek: I told her again to rebook and she told me she didn't want to come back anymore and expected me to do her treatment, it turned out to be quite an intense discussion, and yes I do need clients too, but you teach people how to treat you and your business if she didn't have the courtesy to call me and let me know she was late then I need to be proactive.
This particualr client emailed me a month later apologising, but I don't think I have retained her as a client and so be it!
As therapists we give a lot of ourselves, if you client makes you feel as though you want to quit your job, or you need to go on a long holiday, then it is just not worth it!
I had enough, so now every client that comes into my salon gets a special card before they leave stating what happens if they are late or if they have to cancel.:)

Im slightly like you im a complete softie and it is hard to toughen up!!

As you cannot afford to turn clients away i would suggest that when you are on the phone to any client confirm the toatal amount to them before they get there to save confusion and to save them from not bringing enough cash. Also get them to pay up front when they enter your salon, this also saves them from sumdgeing their nails.

When on the phone to clients tell them that they have to turn up on time for their appointment if they cannot turn up on time they HAVE to let you know as its not fair for you to be under pressure like that! Tell them if they turn up too early/late then you will have to re arrange another date/time for their appointment (if needs be)

About the children situation i have on my website that no children are allowed to enter my salon room they have to be 16 and over. Make sure your clients can be aware of this.

hts I know its hard to toughen up but sometimes you just have to remember its your business you run it how you want it to run!
xx

Hi, I soooo feel for you.
I have a ruling about my home when I am working from home. I tell to my clients that because of health and safety ( all the chemicals around and that ), unless the children are a little babies i.e don't move or they have the treatment ( hair cut or earpiercing ) I can not accommodate. I don't work home when my own kids are at home due to the same reasons and the fact that children need attention constantly, and if I am working, I can not consentrate on what I am doing.
If they were 45 mins late, well I am sorry, I am fully booked and don't have the time. I think next time when they make the appointment, tell them that if they are late, you are fully booked and can not fit them in.
And as for the discounts, I think that if they already get it on discounted price, you should not give in. Before you start the treatment, confirm the price with them so they know the amount they will be paying.
I have had people who have tried to bargain a full body massage from me for £15.00, I just told them that I will not lift my couch for that price! They had the little soak, but are now over it. This is my work and I am proud of what I am doing. I am good at it too.
I have few clients who I treat with cheaper prices, but to be honest, they forward my name a lot all the time, so I consider it as a favour back.
I hope that you will have more brilliant days thatn these really miserable ones.
Chin up and next time you have some tools to fight back.

loads of great advice there xxx

we have all had this or something similar happen to us in the beginning and it is really difficult to deal with it "in the moment"

put it behind you and you will be amazed when you sit down to word an appropriate letter that it all comes together xxx

personally for me I just wouldn't be comfortable having clients who try to bully me back regardless of the income it generates but that is an entirely personal opinion.

call or send a letter saying that all discounts are finished and all treatments will be conducted in the timings you advertise if they are late then the treatment time will be reduced accordingly as you have other clients who cannot be kept waiting.

once you have taken control you will feel better and the likelihood is that the daughter will not like the "new rules" and will not rebook.

hth's :hug:

It will never be as bad again xxxxx

Hi love, you poor thing - sounds like you need a spa treament yourself!

I know it is really hard to turn business away, but if a client is more than 15 minutes late - they either re-book or lose part of their service. It is not fair to your other clients that do turn up on time to make them wait when others are late.

You must be firm with these clients and let them no what you expect of them - you will not feed their children and you will not accept them being late.

As for referrals, my clients are given business cards that they put their name on the back of. If a new client comes in with the first clients card, then the referring party gets free nail art (I never discount my services as I believe they are worth it).

These two are almost more trouble than they are worth - especially if you could fill their spots with people who appreciate you!

Its NOT YOUR FAULT, the only responsability I can see you having is allowing them to treat you this way!

Ask yourself this, would these women allow someone to treat them this way?

Latest posts

Back