Atkins Diet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
what are everyones thoughts on this diet? ive been on it now for 2 1/2 weeks and have lost 11 lbs. i havent suffered any side affects at all, and feel great. i go on to maintenance next week and am allowed to add 5 net carbs a day (this equates to 1/2 cup of strawberries, i cant wait hahaha. has anyone else been on this and how much did they lose

Glynis...Hi (thanks for the signature by the way!)
Ive mixed views about it cus Im not entirely sure that a diet that reduces carbs that significantly can be all that healthy for you.
However, one of the hairdressers in the salon below me has and continues to lose weight at a fairly steady rate. It seems Atkins is the only diet that does seem to work for her.
Have you tried just reducing fat intake? .....Must admit although I could do wiv shedding a few....the pounds do drop off me when Im following a reduced fat intake!
(must start reducing fat and alcohol intake soon....says she...eating Toffee Crisp and drinking a can of Stella!) :o

Hi Glynis
a couple of years ago I asked my doctor about the Atkins diet and he said it was fine for me to follow it :) I lost a lot of weight, found it easy to folow and more importantly it was easy to stick to.
I have intolerances (not medically proven) to bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc... this diet was perfect for me.
I missed my caffeine waaaaaahhhhhhhh, after a few days I was fine again :) and my headaches from withdrawal had disappeared.
Have you got the ketone sticks? they sell them in Superdrug, it's kewl to see that you are actually burning your own fat away, even if you do have to wee on a stick to prove it lol.
I've not gone back on it since we moved here as we're all eating a lot healthier, I'm going to kick it back into action in the next month or so though as losing a few pounds wouldn't go amiss hehe.
Good luck to you Glynis, look forward to seeing pics of the new you.
xxx

I have never tried Atkins, doesn't appeal to me. My assistant goes on it every time she wants to lose weight & it really works for her. She lost quite a lot of weight about 18 months ago on it & kept most of it off. I think it's a matter of different diets for different people. For me, I just reduce fat in my diet but I found that, since I cut out almost all alcohol (not by choice but lack of free time!) I don't really put on weight, I seem to stay the same. Just goes to show that alcohol is evil! :evil: fun tho! :twisted:

nicjill said:
Just goes to show that alcohol is evil! :evil: fun tho! :twisted:

Ohhhhh No :Scared: ......see thats just the problem see....I just cant seem to resist the old Amber Nectar!!!!......LOL!
(says she....contemplating another Stella...knowing its no work tomorrow....and ACTUALLY..........sitting tight and not getting one!)

I agree tho, I think you do find something that works for you...... for you Glynis the Atkins could be just fine...especially as Sandi says....get the sticks and be sure to check Ketones. Im sure you could safely continue to lose weight!
I was a diabetic while pregnant and although it sorta cleared up almost immediately after I delivered the baby I was carrying at the time, I know the Atkins would be totally unsuitable for me.

(still contemplating Stella...and resisting!..... :biggrin: )

Hi Glynis

I tried it a couple of years ago and lost some weight. I suffered with headaches for the first 3 or 4 days but after that they went and I felt fantastic. I do like the principles of the Atkins Diet. Good on you for losing the weight, let us know how you get on. I found that I was never hungry on it and did not miss the sweet stuff at all.

Are you Hartlepool born and bred, just asking as I spent the first 18 years of my life there?

Hi Glynis
i lost 2 1/2 stone on atkins, and my friend lost 4. Its an easy diet to follow but i put most of the weight back on over xmas with alot of eating and i had to go on steriods. However i cant seem to get back in it now and cannot think about eating an omlette or egg and bacon without feeling sick! :eek:
It is a good quick fix but def not a long term eating plan.
Best of luck
Donna

ValencianNails said:
Hi Glynis
a couple of years ago I asked my doctor about the Atkins diet and he said it was fine for me to follow it :) I lost a lot of weight, found it easy to folow and more importantly it was easy to stick to.
I have intolerances (not medically proven) to bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc... this diet was perfect for me.
I missed my caffeine waaaaaahhhhhhhh, after a few days I was fine again :) and my headaches from withdrawal had disappeared.

xxx

Hi

OMG that is me! Same food intolerences! I started with the Atkins diet and it worked great for me!
I lost 2 stone and i now follow a low carb diet, i find that now i eat much healthier, i dont think that as a permanant thing Atkins is good but as a kick start its great. Just when you start adding your carbs back make sure they are good carbs. (eg crisps are NOT good! lol)
I hardly ever eat bread now and i do eat pasta occasionally but only gluten free.

Its definatly worked for me i have never felt so good and i havent put 1 pound back on! yipee!!!
Infact it still keeps coming off! lol I am 9st now just another 7lbs to go and i am pre-monsters weight! lol coolio

hi Glynis,

i went on the atkins last year for my wedding and lost 20lb in 8 weeks. i found it easy to follow the first 3-4 days are the worst but once i was past that it was easy. i think the fact that every time you went on the scales you had lost weight just gave you a boost to keep going. i also went to the gym 4 times a week and i couldn't believe the amount of energy i had and i slept so well at night. its not a diet that agrees with everyone but it works for me

I went on the Atkins Diet some time ago, it worked but was soooo boring!

The South Beach Diet is much better (imho) and easier to follow. With Atkins, it takes 2 days to get into ketosis (fatburning) so if you lapse, it takes you another 2 days to get back into it. The SBD gives you a lot more flexibility - ie if you lapse, you just adjust your eating for the next couple of days to put things right. Of course, it's better not to lapse in the first place - and I found the SBD allowed more variety of food so I wasn't tempted to cheat.

If anyone's thinking of doing Atkins - have a look at the SBD too. I haven't got the book to hand but most people lose weight easily on it, and it's one hell of a lot easier than Atkins!

Lulu :)

I tried teh atkins and was really ill on it but have to say i lost 81b in a couple of weeks, it took me ages to put it back on again. i have tried reducing fat in my diet and this is when i put on loads of weight, i stated off a few yeas ago at 10 st and then went low fat and am now nealy 13st and cant shift it. Admitedly i have a bad back and find it extremeely hard to exercise mind you hard to fit in anyway when working 6 days a wekk, but would love to lose some of the weight just to feel more comfortable in my own skin. not heard of the SBD what is the difference between this and the atkins, cos most people i know who did the atkins have lost load of weight.

vodkababe said:
I went on the Atkins Diet some time ago, it worked but was soooo boring!

The South Beach Diet is much better (imho) and easier to follow. With Atkins, it takes 2 days to get into ketosis (fatburning) so if you lapse, it takes you another 2 days to get back into it. The SBD gives you a lot more flexibility - ie if you lapse, you just adjust your eating for the next couple of days to put things right. Of course, it's better not to lapse in the first place - and I found the SBD allowed more variety of food so I wasn't tempted to cheat.

If anyone's thinking of doing Atkins - have a look at the SBD too. I haven't got the book to hand but most people lose weight easily on it, and it's one hell of a lot easier than Atkins!

Never heard of SBD - where can I get info, is there a web site? I need any diet that sounds easy lol!!!!

Chris

Hi Scattyfox

I'm not saying Atkins doesn't work, most people do lose weight on it. I think though that the problem comes after the weight is gone - people tend to go back to 'normal' eating and of course the weight comes on.

The South Beach Diet works in 3 phases - the first (2 weeks) restricts carbs fats and sugar, most people will lose 8-13 lbs. Phase 2 - some of the restricted carbs are reintroduced, weightloss will be about 2lbs per week, you stay on this phase til you are happy with your weight. Phase 3 - maintains your weight. If at any time you put weight on, you can simply go back to phases 1 & 2.

The SBD concentrates more on restricting low glycemic index foods, rather than carbs. It keeps your blood sugars steady, so as long as you eat enough, you shouldn't get cravings.

There's plenty of good websites out there that'll tell you all the science stuff, one thing I remember though is that because SBD restricts fats (Atkins doesn't, really) it is less dangerous to people with heart and blood pressure problems. I think that's right, don't quote me! The best thing to do for anyone wanting to try SBD is read up about it online ir buy the (very good) book by Dr Agatston (sp?) who devised the diet.

My wife is a consultant for Slimming World and I am sure she will tell you all the in's and out's of diets etc if asked. I am currently revamping her and her fellow consultants website at moment its not complete about 80% but you can post stuff in the forum as that is complete, if you want a nosey etc... take a look at www.pontandcas-slimming-world.co.uk a bit long I know but hey it wasn't my idea!

Guy

you really have to watch out with the atkins diet, it may help you to lose weight fast but it really isnt good for colesterol levels (if you have a history of heart disease in your family its a big no no) and it isnt a balanced diet, and you cant keep it up forever. Dr atkins died at quite a young age himself from heart problems- say no more!

my aunty went on the atkins diet last year and after about 3 weeks she suffered similar problems to diebetics, very scary shakes, sickness and nearly fainted its lucky her daughter is a nurse otherwise she may have been in big trouble! all it took to sort her out was 2 hobnobs and in 10 minutes she was fine.

i have unfortunately been a victim of eating disorders and still have problems now, the biggest help i have had is Dr Gillian McKeith's diet of abundance and its a change in your diet long term thats sustainable. the book is called "you are what you eat" and im sure you have all seen it on tv (she is cruel but it works). the diet has a list of foods of which you can eat as much as you like- until it comes out your ears, and its all good for you! (you dont have to be religious about it it doesnt hurt if your naughty occasionally) if i had not discovered her book i dont no what state id be in now (i was eating roughly 400- 600 calories a day including drinks and fruit, and i was doing my degree exams at the same time! in a complete mess!) i currently weigh 8st3lb (im 5'6") and panic if i start putting on weight- still a bit nutty, and the book saves me every time.

sorry iv gone on so much but as a biology student i feel strongly about aspects of the atkins diet and worried that people did not know the risks associated (good in the short term but not the long term)

i hope iv helped
michelle xx

zoochi said:
Dr atkins died at quite a young age himself from heart problems- say no more!

Dr Atkins apparently died thro smashing his head of a pavement curb, after he slipped on a slippery walkway in america (so the programme said that i watched a while back)

i know it doesnt agree with everyone, im sorry to hear that your aunt suffered the way she did but i was just interested in others views. im coming off it next week anyway - im starting to "moo" like a bloody heffer hahahah

Is tea and coffee completely banned when you start, or can you have it in moderation?

plaoh said:
Is tea and coffee completely banned when you start, or can you have it in moderation?

you can have as much tea and coffee as you like as long as its decafinated, and you dont put sugar in it - i used tesco's own brand of sweetex (no bitter aftertaste) i even put cream in my tea and coffee

Latest posts

Back