Awkward silences

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
I am going to do one of my regulars tomorrow to do her infill, she's a lovely lady but I do find her quite difficult to talk to, I have tried all the usual subject but still get the awkward silences. I would love to just sit quiet and enjoy what I am doing but don't want clients to think I'm in a mood or being rude, what would you think if your nail tech didn't talk?

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Perhaps she doesn't want to talk. Perhaps she's grateful for a time of silence in her day.

To be honest when I go to the hairdressers the last thing I want to do is talk, but I suppose the difference is you aren't sitting face to face. Think of the positives it will be much quicker if you don't talk. Maybe for this lady it is the only time she gets to herself so she is just sitting there enjoying the peace. Don't worry about it, if you make a few polite comments and nothing comes up to chat about it doesn't mean anything bad. :hug:

She's obviously happy with things as she's a regular, maybe it's because she feels so comfortable she doesn't need to speak.

I would just let her make conversation with you. I find some clients just don't want to talk and prefer to relax as it is their 'me' time.
I wouldnt worry, if she wants to talk hun,she will xxx

I'd put the radio on in the background quietly just to break the silence a bit!

This is what I do, too! I usually choose a radio channel that the client in question likes to listen to, so if we don´t talk, they can still listen to the music they like. (I quite directly ask them, if they favor any specific channel, if they don´t, I choose a channel with a bit of variety in music...) :)

This is a puzzling subject for me, too. Usually my clients are super chatty though, so it´s all good.
But a few times there´s been the silence and I find it really hard because I honestly don´t know, if they find it uncomfortable or if they just enjoy the silence... :confused:
I mean, I love to chat (way too much, actually, it takes too much time, when I should focus on NAILS instead of latest gossip :rolleyes:). I would really love to learn to shut up and concentrate on my work. But what if the client thinks I´m being impolite..?

Then again, when I´m focusing on something, I tend to be very silent. Often times I mention this to my clients, so they don´t have to wonder what´s up. I also mention that when really focusing, I tend to not breath... So if I suddenly faint, they now it´s nothing to worry about - just me trying to create the perfect smile line! :lol:

I am a chatter box ! ask anyone he he but.. some clients just like to sit quietly and relax some people love the social side of it others like the relaxation :) try not to worry :hug:

This is good advice, like said already maybe she just wants a bit of peace and quiet during her appointment

yeh i find the mojority of my clients want a good chat, and find it nice that you remember husbands names, children etc ...
others just like to sit quietly, relax and watch the world go by! at first i used to feel a bit aukward bt i'm used to which clients do and which clients dont want to chat.
i also find teenage girls are quietest for some reason or they bring a friend and chat between themselves while i get on with it
hth

Hi, lilly I know what you mean , I used to tire myself out and waste so much energy filling in silences like that ,
now I try never to fill in any awkward silences with quiet customers or friends, because it is very bad for your concentration and your own nerves ,
you can end up with indigestion and tummy pains ect...
also some people like to simply chill and not talk a lot because they feel so relaxed with you , so its a nice compliment really , :)

it's is nobodys responsibility to fill in blank spaces,
she is probably just a quiet person and probably doesnt even notice the silence :hug:
so relax and enjoy the peace

when you relax your body language says it all for you and will reassure quiet people that everything is ok ,

I must admit though I did have one customer who used to puzzle me
she would show me a picture of how she wanted her hair cut
and then she just sat there throughout her whole hairdressing service with her nose stuck in a book , even when I was cutting her hair ,
:eek: still puzzles me ,
perhaps she had a stammer, or was painfully shy or simply rude , who knows ,

I gave up trying to work folks out after I found out that they are all so very different,

I guess there's now't as funny as folk lol x

I am not called the "gabster" for nothing:eek::lol:

I agree with Bobsweden,maybe she just loves some time to herself...i generally gage,when the client needs to talk and when not...even when clients are nattering and i talk back i am still concentrating on thier hands and not thier face,or just agree with what they say,as to be polite.

Do not stress...if thyere was a problem,why would she be a loyal client to you....we are all different,thank goodness:eek::hug:

Hi, lilly I know what you mean , I used to tire myself out and waste so much energy filling in silences like that ,
now I try never to fill in any awkward silences with quiet customers or friends, because it is very bad for your concentration and your own nerves ,
you can end up with indigestion and tummy pains ect...
also some people like to simply chill and not talk a lot because they feel so relaxed with you , so its a nice compliment really , :)

it's is nobodys responsibility to fill in blank spaces,
she is probably just a quiet person and probably doesnt even notice the silence :hug:
so relax and enjoy the peace

when you relax your body language says it all for you and will reassure quiet people that everything is ok ,

I must admit though I did have one customer who used to puzzle me
she would show me a picture of how she wanted her hair cut
and then she just sat there throughout her whole hairdressing service with her nose stuck in a book , even when I was cutting her hair ,
:eek: still puzzles me ,
perhaps she had a stammer, or was painfully shy or simply rude , who knows ,

I gave up trying to work folks out after I found out that they are all so very different,

I guess there's now't as funny as folk lol x

This is soooo right, I come out feeling exausted! and I'm sure that why I get tummy ache its down to stressing about what to talk about !

If I work at home I have the radio on in the background but when I go to this client its dead quiet, no kids no radio just me and her !!!

This is what I do, too! I usually choose a radio channel that the client in question likes to listen to, so if we don´t talk, they can still listen to the music they like. (I quite directly ask them, if they favor any specific channel, if they don´t, I choose a channel with a bit of variety in music...) :)

This is a puzzling subject for me, too. Usually my clients are super chatty though, so it´s all good.
But a few times there´s been the silence and I find it really hard because I honestly don´t know, if they find it uncomfortable or if they just enjoy the silence... :confused:

I worry about this too !

I mean, I love to chat (way too much, actually, it takes too much time, when I should focus on NAILS instead of latest gossip :rolleyes:). I would really love to learn to shut up and concentrate on my work. But what if the client thinks I´m being impolite..?

Yep, and this !

Then again, when I´m focusing on something, I tend to be very silent. Often times I mention this to my clients, so they don´t have to wonder what´s up. I also mention that when really focusing, I tend to not breath... So if I suddenly faint, they now it´s nothing to worry about - just me trying to create the perfect smile line! :lol:

LOL at least its not just me then !

I am going to do one of my regulars tomorrow to do her infill, she's a lovely lady but I do find her quite difficult to talk to, I have tried all the usual subject but still get the awkward silences. I would love to just sit quiet and enjoy what I am doing but don't want clients to think I'm in a mood or being rude, what would you think if your nail tech didn't talk?

I take a cue from my clients. If they are chatty, I will have a conversation with them. If they are quiet, I'll ask a question or two and if it doesn't lead to a conversation, I won't push it. Sometimes folks just don't want to chat, and that's OK.

HTH! :)

I talk for England, so sometimes worry that people might want to sit in silence, :green:lol! I have learnt over the years to just see how the client is. If she starts chatting then i go for it, if she is fairly quiet then I just make chitchat to see if she wants to talk. the only treatment I dont talk in is massage and facials!

I did have my nails done once by a ladywho didnt really talk at all, but she had a tv on. Wasnt for me but i have heard others say that they like that as they can just "switch off"

I wouldn't worry.
When I was in a salon we actually had a lady that slept during her rebalances! She loved it!
If I were you I would just focus on her nails, she's probably enjoying her private time!
If you are in doubt about a client you can always explain what you are doing, if they start asking questions they probably wanna chat. If they just nodd or use short sentences, they usually just wanna sit there.
My experience is that those who wants to chat start by themselves, if you are a chatter chances are you cannot shut up when sombody holds your hands for a period of time:green:

This is a good thread and I have enjoyed reading the replies!! I was worried about this too, but feel much more reassured after reading the replies. Has put my mind at rest! xx

i wouldnt worry about this tbh. if your customer didnt like the silences, she wouldnt come back to you.

like many have said, you do learn over time which customers like to chat and which ones dont.

when i worked in a salon, my boss used to tell me off for not speaking to all of my customers-there were a couple of people who genuinely didnt want to talk no matter how hard i tried!! my boss had the attitude of she didnt care who walked through her door, she would make them talk...needless to say, i ended up with a few of her regulars (and im talking 15+ years type of regulars) as they got fed up with my boss being too nosey and basically not understanding that there are times when they didnt want to talk!!

im quite lucky now as all of my customers are are quite chatty, but then they have been coming to me for several years now.

i hate talking when i have my hair cut..but then again i hate having my hair cut!! i like to be in and out as quickly as possible. its taken 2-3 years for my hairdresser to realise this (i only go to the hairdressers about 4times a year!!)

hope this helps xx

Mmmm I'd love a quiet client. I'd get my work done quicker :green:
Most of my clients come for the chat and die when I go quiet (concentrating on my work)...
I have the radio or music on in the background as well.

I think one of the great skills of any technician (beautytherapist and hairdresser too) is the ability to 'read' your client.

There is nothing wrong with silence if the clients wants it. I love it because I have to talk with my hands and it always took me longer with a chatty client :lol:

One of the worst things you can do is just talk about 'me'! Turning every conversation around in seconds to "well, I........" is such a turn off for clients. I know it is sometimes necessary in order to keep the conversation going but...moderation is essential.

When I had a salon with juniors they got my worst 'look' (and I'm good at those) when I heard them talking about their boyfriends and how drunk they got!!!!!!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back