Bacterial infection under nail.. treatment advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
This is the mum of one of my clients... so not someone whose nails I'm doing... therefore I haven't seen the nail, nor will I be the one treating it!

My client has described her mum's nail as being totally green, gradually getting darker and starting to turn brown. It sounds like something has happened previously to cause onycholosis of this particular nail, which apparently is now about 1/3 grown out.

Without seeing it, my best guess from her description is that a bacterial infection is present under her natural nail in the area of oncholosis.

She is keeping the nail short, and waiting for it to grow out - but in the meantime, I wondered if there's anything else she could / should be doing?

She has visited her GP who has diagnosed a fungal nail infection (i didn't ask if clippings have been taken for analysis). I believe she has been prescribed anti-biotics (or the relevant treatment for fungal nail infection?) I asked my client if the nail had thickened, turned white / crumbly etc, but she said not.

To me it sounds like his has been mis-diagnosed by the GP?

I know without seeing it, it is impossible for me or any of you to give accurate advice. However I did show my client one of my nails (conveniently suffering with a bout of onycholosis!) and she agreed that this was what her mum's nail looked like, albeit with a greenie lurking beneath it!

As my client's mum is quite elderly, the onycholosis is taking a long time to grow out, and i wondered what the worst case scenario of a bacterial infection would be, if left untreated?

Is there something she can do until this time?

Thanks guys :)

i had one of my nails like this, but not as severe.
it responded well to cutting it short and dropping a bit of tea tree oil down the back of the nail.
advise to keep dry too, i used a hairdryer to make sure no moisture was under it.

I like the fact that she went to see her GP and she has been given anti-biotics, I would let her finish her course of medication and offer her some treatment afterwards :)

I once fell going "up" the stairs, and put my hands out to break my fall.
My thumbnail dragged along the carpetted riser.
Lifting clear the lunula.
OMG IT HURT:eek:

Anyway.. shortly thereafer.... GREENIE!! Because of course, you can't "dry" under there after washing your hands,short of using a hairdryer everytime.:rolleyes:
I went to the GP... who prescribed two different types of meds (one was Lamisil Lamisil - Uses, Side Effects, Interactions - Drugs - Body & Health ) and the other I don't recall which cost me a little over 100$:eek:.
Two months later, after nasty side effects, nothing had changed.

I gave pure tea-tree oil a whirl. Putting a few drops, 2-3 times a day at the free edge so it would run under the nail, into the skin underneath where the greenie was.

Low and behold, it started clearing up... then was gone with naught but the stain to grow out.

She can give it a whirl.
Can't hurt to try it.
You can find it at different places, ,just avoid tea-tree oil that has been diluted by alcohol
Tea Tree Oil Uses

From the site
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tea tree oil has been proven to be a powerful yet natural antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal medicine (essential oil). [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is being used as a very effective first aid remedy and against countless skin ailments, infections, cuts, scrapes, burns, insect bites and skin spots etc. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tea tree oil is effective against nail fungus, ringworm, athlete's foot, dandruff, acne, blackheads and many types of infestations including lice, mites, scabies and mosquitoes etc... (For humans and animals alike)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tea tree oil is not just soothing and disinfecting, it is capable of penetrating into the lower skin layers with its anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, analgesic (pain-killing) and cicatrizant (wound-healing) qualities.[/FONT]

hth's

Sixtus forte nail drops are great for fungal and bacterial infections, just put one drop behind the nail plate morning and night and this should help. It kills anything.

sounds like a fungal infection to me, i wouldnt intervene if i were you,especially if the mums not your client and you havnt seen the nail yourself.
not forgetting that we are not in a position to diagnose and should always refer to doctors anyway x

My client has described her mum's nail as being totally green, gradually getting darker and starting to turn brown. It sounds like something has happened previously to cause onycholosis of this particular nail, which apparently is now about 1/3 grown out.

Without seeing it, my best guess from her description is that a bacterial infection is present under her natural nail in the area of oncholosis.

She is keeping the nail short, and waiting for it to grow out - but in the meantime, I wondered if there's anything else she could / should be doing?

She has visited her GP who has diagnosed a fungal nail infection (i didn't ask if clippings have been taken for analysis). I believe she has been prescribed anti-biotics (or the relevant treatment for fungal nail infection?) I asked my client if the nail had thickened, turned white / crumbly etc, but she said not.

To me it sounds like his has been mis-diagnosed by the GP?

I know without seeing it, it is impossible for me or any of you to give accurate advice. However I did show my client one of my nails (conveniently suffering with a bout of onycholosis!) and she agreed that this was what her mum's nail looked like, albeit with a greenie lurking beneath it!

As my client's mum is quite elderly, the onycholosis is taking a long time to grow out, and i wondered what the worst case scenario of a bacterial infection would be, if left untreated?

Is there something she can do until this time?

Thanks guys :)

Has she got enhancements on?

Was she wearing enhancements when her nail turned green?

It can happen but a green bacterial infection beneath the natural nail plate is rare.

Tea Tree oil and Sixtus Forte are both good things to use as has been suggested. If she has been prescribed Lamasil or Lodasil for a fungal infection then this will do the trick. In fairness to the GP there could be the 2 things going in here at the same time.

Time and the medication will sort it out.

My mum has a fungal toenail, I suggested she give the tea tree oil a whirl so she's been putting a couple of drops a day on it and it's clearing up. As the new nail grows up it's nice and pink and healthy.

Has she got enhancements on?

Was she wearing enhancements when her nail turned green?

It can happen but a green bacterial infection beneath the natural nail plate is rare.

Tea Tree oil and Sixtus Forte are both good things to use as has been suggested. If she has been prescribed Lamasil or Lodasil for a fungal infection then this will do the trick. In fairness to the GP there could be the 2 things going in here at the same time.

Time and the medication will sort it out.

She hasn;t got enhancements on - and never has had...

Have advised client to try tea tree oil - can't hurt! And to keep on with whatever doc's prescribed.

Latest posts

Back