banning fake tan in school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle g

Reaction score
My mum was saying in the paper this morning there is a school banning
fake tan!
whatever next!
it's in the daily express page 3..

When i was at school 3 or 4 times daily i'd get "take out your nose stud,wash that off your face" i never did,i once chose a suspension (backed by my mum) when i had hair extensions and they told me to remove them or go,i'd worked and saved,so had a few weeks off school instead :D

I got good grades and was well behaved (mostly) and allthough i agree you can look like a real dog's dinner with a badly applied tan,what about encouraging out teenagers to find themselves,express themselves and become individuals even if that means they look like umpa lumpa clones,it's what teenagers do

With all the gun and knife crime and bad rep for kids atm,surely they have far more important things to be focusing on,JMHO

I really dont think its that important, why worry about something so minor when there are bigger more dangerous things going on in the world to worry about.

Without doing this sort of thing where would the "oh remember when we used to go into school with sreaky tan and orange plams" stories come from!!!

I understand that its good to let kids be kids but they're only experimenting, surely its not really hurting anyone.

Plus, how embaressing for the girls, the paper articles are saying how silly the girls look like as its badly applied and they have ended up with orange palms, I dont think poking fun at the girls appearance will help anyone. xxx

Each to their own and i am not saying there are any wrongs or rights.....

I started off wearing makeup too young IMO and have always felt that unless i am wearing my mask i cant leave the house...i never wanted this for my daughters....i want them to be free of all this and enjoy wearing makeup for a reason and not because they feel they have too.....

My daughter is 12 and when we finally got some sunshine and she came home from school saying she would wear a skirt the next day.....she did and came home saying that some people had called her bottle tops cos of her pale legs...she is 12 !!!....kids shouldn't have to start worrying about this sort of thing at such a young age...they will have years of it when they are adults.

I think all kids should be worried about is wear there next bag of sweets is coming from

At what age do they start to look at other people as not being perfect....hair..tan...weight...ect...its getting younger and younger and i hate it.

Its hard enough these days for kids to feel they fit in at school without the added pressure of having the right tan.

Thankfully my daughter wasn't bothered at all and actually said the ones with the streaky orange fake tan got called more names then she did..:lol:

I do have old fashioned views on kids...i do like kids to be kids...but that doesn't mean i am saying anyone else is wrong...its just my preference.

Oh i agree Angie :hug: in my mind i was thinking 15 year olds,i forget "little ones" now go to high school,and that sucks but there's a whole other thread :lol:

This got me thinking- apart from anything else, surely we should be encouraging fake tanning in the right situation. IMO it is far better for a teenager to have a bit of fake tan on than to fry themselves in the sun like 'we' did as teenagers (coconut oil anyone!?). Yes, I think it should be done properly applied etc but given the choice of irreversibly damaging such young skin, or allowing them to have a spray tan for example, I know which I would choose.
And I also agree with Angie about letting kids be kids :) My perspective is thinking about older teenagers who will deliberately sun seek with no spf on

I think its a bit ridiculous actually, I think there are alot more important things to deal with than fake tan. If the kids want to wear and the parents allow it then it is up to them. I remember when I was at school being asked to take my nose stud out also and remove my make-up, I refused and used to say that the teachers were hipocrites, and then if I couldn't wear my nose stud and make up then nor should they. Naughty and cheeky - YES but I vagually remember I used to make an effort. I wasn't like some of the kids that looked scruffy and dirty, some even smelled, but they were never asked to sort themselves out, so why for making an effort should I? I loved make-up when I was younger, but I do not feel the need for it all the time now. That was when I experimented with make up and fashion and learnt who I was, so I think they should be allowed to. I'm not saying it should be pushed on any of the girls, just there decision when there ready!

This got me thinking- apart from anything else, surely we should be encouraging fake tanning in the right situation. IMO it is far better for a teenager to have a bit of fake tan on than to fry themselves in the sun like 'we' did as teenagers (coconut oil anyone!?). Yes, I think it should be done properly applied etc but given the choice of irreversibly damaging such young skin, or allowing them to have a spray tan for example, I know which I would choose.
And I also agree with Angie about letting kids be kids :) My perspective is thinking about older teenagers who will deliberately sun seek with no spf on

yep.. i remember the '0' factor coconut oil! I think this is wrong... not in the fake tan appreciation society but i just think they are taking people's right to choose away. I would prefer this for my daughter than skin cancer. They need to have a bit of a reality check. It's like saying you can't choose to become a brunette if you're blonde... what a load of cods wallop :)

I used to lash the fake tan on when i was at school (14-16)... only because my mam wouldn't let me hire a sunbed out and all my mates were BLACK off the beds!!

I wouldn't do PE if i didn't have brown legs, the night before i would sit on the side of the bath with food bags on each hand (i was convinced it made my tan less streaky) and a bottle of Avon fake tan.

I stunk 24/7 of cheap fake tan...

its on the news now

Schools ban lots of things, when I was at school I remember thembanning over the knee socks as they were deemed 'provocative'.

They ban all sorts of things at schools, trading cards, footballs....My kids are in primary school though at the mo so probably different.

I agree with Bagpuss that kids grow up too quick these days....I was at a year 6 leaving production tonight and some of the girls were so developed, more like 14 than 10/11.

Do we as parents allow this to happen, I think we probably do....I try my best with my kids but sometimes 'my' best isn't enough....not like in my mum's or my grandma's days, even my next door neighbour who is 10 years older than me says I am too soft on my kids and I think she's right.

It's ridiculous...so saying that fake tan is banned from school..what if they have been to Spain fro example on holiday and come back with a glorious tan

are they going to expel the kids till it fades>? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back