barrier cream and spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon h

Reaction score
hi I have just seen a video on You tube on spray tanning the technician stated that any spray tan technician who uses barrier cream on the hands and feet (or any cream) was to be avoided as we are not qualified enough to do a spray tan or that the solution we use is of poor quality. just wondered what your views were on this as I have personally been trained to cream the toes and hands and any dry areas. I use sienna x.

Hi

I'm a sienna fan and user and always use the barrier cream. I think its bunkum about technicians that use it are to be avoided.

any form of Self/Spray Tanning has a big stigma behind it that when you have a fake tan you can be guaranteed to end up with orange hands and feet.

The barrier cream will avoid the solution sticking to any dry skin on hands and feet thus avoiding an orange finish - as you well know having done the training with sienna.

Therefore I think it only shows signs of professionalism that you should use the barrier cream to avoid this happening. My clients love the fact that there are no tell-tale signs when they have their Sienna tan, barrier cream can make a big difference.

If you know how to put a link in - I'm sure others (and me0 would love to view the footage on You Tube...

:):)

hi hun, did you see this info at tanning central ? :)

yes I did see this on the You tube on spray tanning tips my husband came across it and told me.

i am recently trained, and dont use barrier cream atall,
i wasnt taught to either,

should i be using it?

mind you ive done about 14 tans now, and not had anyone with orange hands or feet atall??

oh except me , when i took my gloves off to then clean up my equipment !!

I think it depends on what level your tanning skill is.

I think barrier cream is a great tool in the early days whilst learning the technique until confidence has built up. As we all know any major hiccups in
beginning can easily knock your confience.

I choose to use it as I like the natural finish on the hands and feet - although if I ever ran out of it my finish would not go orange. In saying that its only recently I've started using it - there was a time I used nothing other than tan....:)

what do you mean natural finish on the hands and feet?

... meaning it looks like a natural tan - not too dark, not flooding in the cuticles or orange around the nail wall or down the side of the thumb (or even on the palms). This could be debated that if I applied it well that I wouldn't get these problems - but as you know its not about what I do - its about what the client does after they've had the tan. i find the barrier cream helps avoid them having accidents after they've left me. It just looks smooth and so even. I must say - I can take the barrier cream or leave it - but personally I find I get a nicer finish with it....:):)

oh right, do you put it on the handsa like a hand cream or just in certain places??

i was taught to flick away over the hands and do a light misting whilst moving off the hands and the end, same with feet
with no barier cream, ive had really really lovely results with hands and feet, and this was one area that really woried me, as i have seen too many orange handed people, or tans that are dead dark on the forearm, then pale hands or the dreaded dark arm dark hands and fingers etc
i think i shall just carry on with what im doing i think!!

what a load of balls.

what me???
or barrier cream???

put 'em up
put 'em up!!!!
PMSL
you have no need to worry hun, you are doing it right, the only time you will ever need to use a barrier cream is if you spray someone with eczema or extremely dry skin,
and when this does happen use it sparingly and make sure it has soaked into the skin before you spray or it will create patches,
each company trains to their own specifications for their own solutions,
all solutions are slightly different and some of them do need barrier cream to be applied,
Tantrick does not need this as you have experienced yourself hth :hug:

Why would tantrick solution be any different to any other solution ? I always use barrier cream i find hands and feet seem to take more than any other parts and they look more natural and if your client accidently touches themselfs it stops orange fingers and palms

Thanks Cathill - I thought I was the daft one !!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

In my opinion, Tantrick solution is NO different from any other tan on the market. At the end of the day - most tanning solutions are good and give fine results. The solutions probably all comes from Ameriaca, where the majority of UK tanning companies get it from (probably the same company) only dare I say it - packaged in a different bottle with added aromas.

I've used, worked with and supplied many numerous tans and whether its St Tropez or Boots own make, the creditibility lies with the client - no one says to someone who's had a spray tan ... "OOhhh thats a nice St Tropez tan" do they? They simply state how nice that person looks.

Personally does it matter. Everyone goes for a tan or company that suits them at the time. However, I have noticed since joining this forum this year that sometimes it can get a bit competitive amongs geeks... lifes too short...:) Long live barrier cream .....PMSL :):):)

Thanks Cathill - I thought I was the daft one !!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

In my opinion, Tantrick solution is NO different from any other tan on the market. At the end of the day - most tanning solutions are good and give fine results. The solutions probably all comes from Ameriaca, where the majority of UK tanning companies get it from (probably the same company) only dare I say it - packaged in a different bottle with added aromas.

I've used, worked with and supplied many numerous tans and whether its St Tropez or Boots own make, the creditibility lies with the client - no one says to someone who's had a spray tan ... "OOhhh thats a nice St Tropez tan" do they? They simply state how nice that person looks.

Personally does it matter. Everyone goes for a tan or company that suits them at the time. However, I have noticed since joining this forum this year that sometimes it can get a bit competitive amongs geeks... lifes too short...:) Long live barrier cream .....PMSL :):):)

I think this is a case of "which way is up"..I guess it very much depends on if you are sitting on the north or south pole:lol::lol:

All manufacturers have differences to the way in which we train..this training is generally geard to suit the type of liquid produced and the culture of the buisness producing it.

You must remember that training is provided as a way in which gets someone realitivley compitent and then over time all operators will adapt their own variants to the origional training through usage.

The barrier cream thing is really one of choice...both manufacturers mentioned offer excellent training ..even though there are slight differences.

There are many suppliers of liquids who purchase their products from all over the world...USA is certainly the biggest producer of DHA however not the only one:hug:

Not wishing to show my age but when spraytanning first became popular St Tropez was the leading brand and pioneer for spraytanning...the general public and press coverage at that time did in fact refer to someone who had a spray tan as being someone who had been "St Troped" :hug:

Latest posts

Back