BBC coming to my salon tomorrow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
BBC are doing a documentary on a 15 year old girl using sunbeds and being addicted to them, and want to use a salon to film in... so they're coming tomorrow and Saturday.

The front of the salon wont be seen, nor will I, and I'm being paid for it so why not? I know it's showing sunbeds in a bad light... but seeings as nobody will know its my salon.. aside from who I tell.. i'm not really bothered!

That's money easily earnt!

Congrats!! I'd say......joe public won't know it's your Salon.....but you and your clients will.......and I'm sure that will be thrill enough ......plus you get $$$$ ....that's even better!

its a shame they don't invite you to give your professional opinion on them ... at least that way they will be showing both sides of them...about using them in a more sensible way and not over doing it...about using creams and goggles...etc...

typical that once again the beauty industry is rubbished yet again !!....dont get me wrong any sun damage is damage at the end of the day but if people are going to do it then at least they could show the correct way to use them.

Funny you should say that Caroline - the girl I think you are on about - has been on TV just recently or is about to lives about half a mile from my salon. I found it hard to beleive that they place she goes to does actually allow her to go on for the amount of time she says, never mind a 15 year old.

Think it comes down to how they would portray you in the any videoing and editing they do. Have seen how some tv editing can twist things, but I am glad you are getting chance to put your opinions across.

Let me know if you think that is the same person.

BBC are doing a documentary on a 15 year old girl using sunbeds and being addicted to them, and want to use a salon to film in... so they're coming tomorrow and Saturday.

The front of the salon wont be seen, nor will I, and I'm being paid for it so why not? I know it's showing sunbeds in a bad light... but seeings as nobody will know its my salon.. aside from who I tell.. i'm not really bothered!

Well,lets put it this way,your clientele will know its YOUR salon,wether they see the outside or not,and it could prove detramental if they did see the outside and would gain BAD publicity.

Well,lets put it this way,your clientele will know its YOUR salon,wether they see the outside or not,and it could prove detramental if they did see the outside and would gain BAD publicity.

I have to agree, people walking by could see the camera crew and it wouldn't take much to put two and two together, I am not sure its worth the risk to your salons good name, never mind the upheavel the filming would cause. I know I wouldnt do it.

I think it was the girl I read about in a magazine last week, she's been doing it since she was 11 - if it's the same girl.

Her mum used to do it and has had 2 skin cancer scares and stopped because of this but it didnt stop the daughter.
Apparently she goes in her lunch break and uses her pocket money, the salon she goes to think she's 16.

Obviously it's not a local girl - local to me anyway.

I will not get a chance to get my opinion across - people have views and they are entitled to those views, when people's minds are set, they are set. Some people will believe they are right, others will believe they are wrong. Sunbeds do cause skin problems. So does the sun. So what would be the sensible thing to do? Limit the exposure.

All the crew will do, is come in and the guy told me they want to show her going into a cubicle and then seeing the UV light from under the door. Sunbed salons are pretty much the same - most places have white doors with numbers on. It could be anywhere. It is a brief glance, that is all. I have been advised they will be there no longer than an hour.

The sunbeds I have, many people have. The only difference about our salon would be we have fully laid Oak flooring down throughout - most places use tiles or lino.

If he wanted to come in and portray salons in a bad light and use our name... then NO WAY! But getting paid for letting a girl go in through a sunbed door.. and the pence it will cost me for setting the sunbed off for a few minutes... makes sense to me.

Someone's going to do it, why not me?

I don't know who the girl is Oey, will probably meet her tomorrow! But there's no way she's getting on my sunbeds at the age of 15.

They're coming for two days and he mentioned something about spraying a young lads back or something... couldn't catch that bit but will see tomorrow. Perhaps they're promoting sunless tanning also?

They are coming in the morning - I only have one girl who I know quite well who comes in at 10am, so it's not like it's my busiest time - if he'd have wanted to come later on, I would have refused,.

The show will be on 20th July.

At least your honest :lol::lol::lol:

I don't really see a problem with it. I know its a bit different but people wouldn't stop visiting a pub if an alchoholic was being filmed in it.

The only thing I would ask for is to have something wrote in the credits that your salon isn't the one that lets her use the sunbed 50 times a week !

At least your honest :lol::lol::lol:

I don't really see a problem with it. I know its a bit different but people wouldn't stop visiting a pub if an alchoholic was being filmed in it.

The only thing I would ask for is to have something wrote in the credits that your salon isn't the one that lets her use the sunbed 50 times a week !

Exactly - as I said before, I'm getting paid for it and that's that. It would be a different matter if the show was about me letting young girls on the beds!

He assured me that it would only be a door and some UV light... and at something I mentioned said 'this is the BBC after all' - he was getting across how respectable they are (unlike Channel 5 :lol:)

Why didn't they use the salon that she goes to?

I think you're mad. I will lay money on it that someone will recognise your salon and before you know it, it'll be spread around town that it's you and your salon that she uses.

Well hun, you are braver than me ... I wouldn't have done it pay or no pay unless I had 100% control on how this was being edited and presented....
I have had my share with media coverage lol..... centre spread in the Daily Mail about MMA damage and everything was being taken out on context..and badly edited..because bad news sells better than good news....They promise you the earth but you just end up with a bucket of mud... Lets face it they are not there to sing the praises of sunbeds, you already know that...nope they are going to show the negative side ..... and like Kimmi said someone local to you may just know its you??? They are not going to say , this salon was just used for location purpose, as the salon she really goes to doesn't want to be featured ...... Food for thought, but at the end of the day its your decission.
I wish you luck hun xxx

Why didn't they use the salon that she goes to?

I think you're mad. I will lay money on it that someone will recognise your salon and before you know it, it'll be spread around town that it's you and your salon that she uses.

My thoughts exactly, Why aren't they using the salon she goes to....????
If anything I would like to be the salon featured spraying the guys back - Safe, Sunless Tanning :green:

Ruth's right, if you had 100% control over it then OK, in all honesty they can just miss out or change a small issue[editing] having it reflect on you/salon.

XX J XX

YOu should get advice on "location fees", you could be being robbed, the going rate here is $1000 for half a day .... thats the minumum.

Caroline`Seriously...You need to get something Legal in writing that says they will not under any cirucumstances identify your salon or you. Sounds like they are doing this in not a so unjudgemental way but casting a negative light.

Ask them before they start if they will be shedding some positive light towards tanning in a sensible way and what this girl is doing Is Not sensible.

But anyways..have fun with it but cover your own assets

They came and are coming back tomorrow. They filmed only inside the shower room, like they said, and were there just over an hour.

There were two girls.. only one was being filmed... both from Liverpool and both were contacted through a Modelling Agency they work for!!!

Neither of them looked particularly tanned! Well, they were both red in the face as they had also been filmed at the fun fair in New Brighton!

Tomorrow they have asked if they can film in the main room of the salon.. for something to do with a male models back... not sure about that one as at the same time the girl on the desk informed me that a GIRL had peed in my sanitiser spray bottle in Bed 2 :eek:. She went to spray the bed and it was warm and wee coloured. I couldn't believe it. We know exactly who is was too.

ick....some people are so gross......wishing you luck for the shoot!:hug:

the girl on the desk informed me that a GIRL had peed in my sanitiser spray bottle in Bed 2 :eek:. She went to spray the bed and it was warm and wee coloured. I couldn't believe it. We know exactly who is was too.

OMG that is so foul!

OMG that is so foul!

Yes it was totally unbelievable. If I hadn't have seen it with my own eyes, I would have thought it was a joke, to be honest. Why do that in a shop full of people?!! It is savagery in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back