Quantcast

Be Careful

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hezmarie68

Active Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolton
Hi all

I wanted to post this thread because if I save just one person from what I have had to go through then it has been worth it.
At the end of November I was doing my friends nails. I have converted to another brand and after using it a few times was utterly convinced that is was brill. I was applying the primer when my friend jumped, this made me jump and the primer spilt on me. Within 2 seconds I felt as if my skin was melting. It was a 10ml bottle and the smallest amount spilt on my skin but I have ended up with 2nd degree burns to my left arm, neck, chest, shoulder and under my chin. I am now under the care of a plastic surgeon. I have never, ever experienced pain like it (would rather give birth 50 times over) and I am now scarred for the rest of my life.
The bottle of primer did not state whether is what acid or non acid and because it did not state this or indeed what the contents were I had no idea and would never have purchased it. I have since contacted trading standards who have withdrawn it from sale. Apparently methacrylic acid is illegal in the USA and Canada but not here in England. Needless to say I will be campaigning for it to be made illegal here.
If you know of anyone who has received an injury, no matter how small, from nail primer please let me know. I would attach some pics of my burns but I do not know how to do it.
Stay safe everyone.
Kindest regards
Love Hez x
 

bettyboo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
223
Reaction score
6
Location
london
Oh My God! What a terrible thing to happen. Thankfully i use a non acid primer. But was unaware of what damage an acid primer could do and to such an extent. Sending love and best wishes to you. I am really sorry to hear this has happened to you. :hug::hug: XXXXX
 

Scratchers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
1,514
Reaction score
70
Location
MILTON KEYNES
OMG Thats aweful hun, sending :hug:
 

Sarahmorg1

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire
Wow that is awful, thanks for the warning.
 

sj1973

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
2,378
Reaction score
46
Location
in the uk
thanks for the warning....i really do hope you feel better soon hun xxxlots of :hug::hug: your way xxx
 

angel fingers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2003
Messages
7,381
Reaction score
234
Location
northampton
this is quite shocking.
was it a faulty batch or a particularly strong formula. wouldnt most brands be properly tested and labelled.
 

Noodle

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Premium Geek
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
20,793
Reaction score
2,089
Location
United Kingdom
OMG, that's just too terrible for words.

Sending lots of :hug::hug: for you.
 

Purelynailz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
339
Reaction score
23
Location
norfolk
this is quite shocking.
was it a faulty batch or a particularly strong formula. wouldnt most brands be properly tested and labelled.
I too think its very shocking , and was thinking along the same lines as you , because i thought that theres quite a few companies that use that in their primers ( forgive me if im wrong ) and ive never heard of such a horrible thing happening to someone. :eek:
All brands of primer that ive used have been labelled and ive always had the msds to go with it ...... hope you feel better soon tho....

Hazel
 

Poshfloss

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
870
Reaction score
18
Location
Burnley Lancashire
Hi all

I wanted to post this thread because if I save just one person from what I have had to go through then it has been worth it.
At the end of November I was doing my friends nails. I have converted to another brand and after using it a few times was utterly convinced that is was brill. I was applying the primer when my friend jumped, this made me jump and the primer spilt on me. Within 2 seconds I felt as if my skin was melting. It was a 10ml bottle and the smallest amount spilt on my skin but I have ended up with 2nd degree burns to my left arm, neck, chest, shoulder and under my chin. I am now under the care of a plastic surgeon. I have never, ever experienced pain like it (would rather give birth 50 times over) and I am now scarred for the rest of my life.
The bottle of primer did not state whether is what acid or non acid and because it did not state this or indeed what the contents were I had no idea and would never have purchased it. I have since contacted trading standards who have withdrawn it from sale. Apparently methacrylic acid is illegal in the USA and Canada but not here in England. Needless to say I will be campaigning for it to be made illegal here.
If you know of anyone who has received an injury, no matter how small, from nail primer please let me know. I would attach some pics of my burns but I do not know how to do it.
Stay safe everyone.
Kindest regards
Love Hez x
Hi Hun,
So awful. I use NSI acid free primer.
Hope you feel better soon. Lotsa luv x :hug:
 

cups1974

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2007
Messages
201
Reaction score
2
Location
Monticello, NY
Oh My Goddess Many :hug::hug: too you!! I live in the states i have heard of this but when i was younger (like 70's) Bright Blessings to you and your client!!
 

hezmarie68

Active Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolton
Hi
Thank you everybody for your warm wishes and kind words. Methacrylic acid is a banned substance in the USA and Canada although I can't tell you at the moment which brand it is (but it is one of the leaders) it is manufactured in the USA.

The bottle just said nail primer on it and because its one of the leaders I thought no more of it. There were no ingredients listed on the bottle and Trading Standards have removed it from sale because it is not labelled correctly nor has any instructions or warnings. In England anything containing methacrylic acid should have a corrosive and a harmful warning sticker on it, the bottle had neither!

I have not been able to get back into doing nails yet, to afraid. I am constantly looking at everything around my home to see what is in it and what labels on on there. I suppose its all part of the healing process and guess I am still in shock as to how much damage a small amount of liquid can do. I just wish I knew how to post pics and then I could emphasise more the damage.

Once again thank you all.
Love Hez xxxxx
 

sodabubble

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
1,147
Reaction score
23
Location
Lincoln
crikey! all the best for a speedy recovery xx
 

hezmarie68

Active Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolton
I think I have managed to post some pics on geek gallery. Clicked on navigation, then geek gallery, nails, burns.
 

Noodle

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Premium Geek
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
20,793
Reaction score
2,089
Location
United Kingdom

PeepPaws

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
887
Reaction score
29
Location
Devon
Oh my goodness!!! That looks so sore! Poor you. Hope you get it sorted in everyway. xxx
 

hayls

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
2,150
Reaction score
74
Location
Carmarthenshire, S.W.Wales
Sending you hugs for a speedy recovery! I hope you get it sorted!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:
 

1999judy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2005
Messages
7,764
Reaction score
425
Location
geekville
Hope you feel better soon hun x
 

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
6,127
Reaction score
300
Location
Horsham West Sussex
That looks so painful. I do hope you get better soon:hug::hug::hug:
 

hezmarie68

Active Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
Bolton
You are all so kind. Thank you. I could only post the one picture because it wouldn't let me do the rest. Thank you everyone and I just hope you are all looking through your stuff now and throwing the methacrylic acid primers away!!!! Then I know it will have been worth while posting this thread. Take care all Love Hez xxxxx
 

Lucia Etch

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
263
Reaction score
6
Location
California,U.S.A.
This is horrible....
My girl friend had an incident 19 years ago (before I started doing nails)
Her primer bottle was spilled on to her pant leg, she continued working, to stay on time.
After a bit her leg got hot and her jeans started smoking.
She told me she immediatly ripped her pants off and ran to the sink to wash her leg. She was lucky, she only ended up with a skin rash. Her "rash" healed completely.
I switched to acid fee primer (Young Nail Protein Bond) and the change is good.
I was told by two manufactures that "acid" primers were going to be taken off the market.
Ive seen primer bottles placed in a wood/cut-out to avoid tipping the bottle.
Placed in a polish tilter or a foam/sponge holder. I have knocked my primer over a time or two while inside my polish holder, thinking I can get away with it because it doesnt contain acid. :eek: I need to be more careful, with, no matter what I spill!!
I hope you have a speedy recovery, get better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top