Best extension suppliers, let's clear up the confusion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find where to purchase the hair on the tashajacks website. ??

Anyone know how I go about this? Can't even see pics of the hair etc?

Hi GK3,

I found exactly the same thing with a batch of 22" European I ordered from Tasha Jacks recently. I ordered 5 different colours and they all had the same problem to a varying degree (#12 was the worst, custom blonde blend was the nicest). Was also the first time I'd ordered from them after hearing so much hype about the hair quality but was a tad confused and disappointed by the really tangly bottom 3-4". Luckily, my client didn't want hair as long as she'd originally anticipated once they'd been fitted and asked me to cut a considerable amount off! After a hefty chop, the hair did look and feel stunning. Haven't heard from her since so presume there's no major problems so far....

Perhaps we should just buy longer than we need knowing it will need a good cut?! However, this will only ever result in bumping up price for clients as naturally, the longer length you have to buy, the more expensive the hair is. Don't really know if this is something we should just accept as the norm for this type of hair or whether I should have returned it? Have spoken with Roger many times on the phone before and he's completely lovely so may just arrange a time to take a trip down there and have a look through stock samples, ask questions etc.

I also had the same problem with expensive 18" European hair from Hair Development in December. I fitted this on myself and had to remove literally all of it within 24 hours as it was matting like like frigging velcro!!!! I ended up keeping just the top layer of extensions, cut these to around 10" long to blend in with my own hair and these are now fine, all horrible tangled ends gone. Just needed a SERIOUS cut annoyingly. So in essence paid £xxx for one row of 10" hair :grr:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi GK3,

I found exactly the same thing with a batch of 22" European I ordered from Tasha Jacks recently. I ordered 5 different colours and they all had the same problem to a varying degree (#12 was the worst, custom blonde blend was the nicest). Was also the first time I'd ordered from them after hearing so much hype about the hair quality but was a tad confused and disappointed by the really tangly bottom 3-4". Luckily, my client didn't want hair as long as she'd originally anticipated once they'd been fitted and asked me to cut a considerable amount off! After a hefty chop, the hair did look and feel stunning. Haven't heard from her since so presume there's no major problems so far....

Perhaps we should just buy longer than we need knowing it will need a good cut?! However, this will only ever result in bumping up price for clients as naturally, the longer length you have to buy, the more expensive the hair is. Don't really know if this is something we should just accept as the norm for this type of hair or whether I should have returned it? Have spoken with Roger many times on the phone before and he's completely lovely so may just arrange a time to take a trip down there and have a look through stock samples, ask questions etc.

I also had the same problem with expensive 18" European hair from Hair Development in December. I fitted this on myself and had to remove literally all of it within 24 hours as it was matting like like frigging velcro!!!! I ended up keeping just the top layer of extensions, cut these to around 10" long to blend in with my own hair and these are now fine, all horrible tangled ends gone. Just needed a SERIOUS cut annoyingly. So in essence paid £xxx for one row of 10" hair :grr:

Funny that. I had a few similar weird experiences recently, I purchased extremely expensive 14" light blonde hair ("European") for a client and the ends were pretty dry. While this is to be expected with blonde hair, the reason she went for the expensive hair was the expectation that this wouldn't happen in that price range.
Another client paid £xxx for hair from Hair Development, and in the end I was close to begging her to let me fit her with new hair, just so I wouldn't have to try and detangle the frizztastic mess of HD hair during her twice weekly blow drys.
Another batch of "Russian" hair was coarse like a horse's tail.
On the other hand, some standard Remy hair I used on a client was still soft and shiny when she came back after 2,5 months, and honey blonde Remi Goddess hair, which I used as a last resort and told my client wasn't very good (she was on a budget and didn't mind) was in excellent condition when she came back after 4 (!) months. I never ever thought I'd say this.

When it comes to HD, they think we're stupid.

Hi GK3,

Hi Goldilocks,

Sorry to hear about your very expensive single row of hair! Its just crazy, I'm at the conclusion that you just never know with hair suppliers and its all pot luck! I think it is pretty impossible for any supplier to guarantee quality as each pony tail comes from a different person and each person's hair is different even within the same village or community. Some hair will be from teenagers other times it will be from older people sometimes in their 70s. I know that Tasha Jacks do buy in grey hair sometimes which they dye to lighter colours.

I got loads of clients who have used 18" Chinese Remy (£100 for 100g) and 3-4 months later the actual hair has still been fine if they've taken good care of it. The problem has been that it has not been economical for me to re-tip it all. Something like 1 in every 4 batches of the Chinese has dodgy hair but you don't mind as much at that price as you do when you get a horse's tail for £xxx+!

This client with the Tasha Jacks hair is now not confident in washing it herself as it keeps matting so she is coming to me and its just a nightmare! The problem is that why should we pay premium price for 20 or 22" hair when we can only realistically use 16" of it? Ok if it was a discount brand, but when you're paying £xxx for 100g you really expect it to be head over heels better than hair that costs £xxx for 100g!

I think I am going to talk to Roger about it, I just don't know what he would be prepared to offer as its the removal and re-fitting costs on top and I just can't see him being willing to cover that bill! Have you talked to him about the problem you had with the hair your bought?

This thread is majorly confusing due to the fact that everyone's standards are completely different..!! I have seen people on here raving about suppliers that I have found the hair to be atrocious. I'm fairly new to the extension trade, around 6 months now, but I'm not advertising until I find hair that is right for me. I have trialled:

Foxy - hair was thin and frizzy after a few weeks.

Lush-us - thin, straggly and extremely dry and frizzy, again after a few weeks

Studio58 - totally unmanageable and untameable after the first wash..!! - my ponytail looked likes horses ****..!!

All of the hair felt and looked gorgeous on arrival and once fitted - after the silicone was washed out - not so gorgeous..!!

I had a full head of foxy fitted on myself a year ago and the hair was in amazing condition until there were removed - thick and soft. But like with most suppliers, the bigger and more demand they get, the more desperate they get and they will source their hair from anywhere. Thus majorly dropping standards!

Just ordered my first full set or sjk aaa today excited :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

This thread is majorly confusing due to the fact that everyone's standards are completely different..!! I have seen people on here raving about suppliers that I have found the hair to be atrocious. I'm fairly new to the extension trade, around 6 months now, but I'm not advertising until I find hair that is right for me. I have trialled:

Studio58 - totally unmanageable and untameable after the first wash..!! - my ponytail looked likes horses ****!!

All of the hair felt and looked gorgeous on arrival and once fitted - after the silicone was washed out - not so gorgeous..!!

I had a full head of foxy fitted on myself a year ago and the hair was in amazing condition until there were removed - thick and soft. But like with most suppliers, the bigger and more demand they get, the more desperate they get and they will source their hair from anywhere. Thus majorly dropping standards!

It is strange you have experienced that. What shampoos and conditioner etc were you using for these.

I have also used all 3 and been fine. Studio58 the most recent I tried has been really good on my clients, and if they have not got a particular colour I need I use foxy, and again no problems whatsoever with the hair.

I wouldn't think that the bigger a supplier gets they will source hair from anywhere - if they are making more money why would they change supplier and source from anywhere - and is this just your opinion or based on fact?

How does everyone find lush us(hair rebellions) hair? I've been set on using them as my budget hair supplier since I've been trained but I've seen a few people say how their hair went dry and horrible within a couple of weeks? Really worried now as I have my first client booked in soon and I wanted to use them x

How does everyone find lush us(hair rebellions) hair? I've been set on using them as my budget hair supplier since I've been trained but I've seen a few people say how their hair went dry and horrible within a couple of weeks? Really worried now as I have my first client booked in soon and I wanted to use them x

Iv always used lush and never had a problem with their hair x

It is strange you have experienced that. What shampoos and conditioner etc were you using for these.

I have also used all 3 and been fine. Studio58 the most recent I tried has been really good on my clients, and if they have not got a particular colour I need I use foxy, and again no problems whatsoever with the hair.

I wouldn't think that the bigger a supplier gets they will source hair from anywhere - if they are making more money why would they change supplier and source from anywhere - and is this just your opinion or based on fact?

No problems no? Funny that when you've written on another thread that you find that with foxy "they're not as good as they used to be" Quite contradictory, don't you think?

It is irrelevant what shampoo is used as it wouldn't compromise the condition of the hair, unless it was laced with acid or perhaps peroxide..!! The only reason "specific extension shampoo" or more commonly known to extensionists sulphate free shampoo is advised is to prevent the bond from breaking up..!! The hair I have used, whether it was on my own head or fitted on my friends and family, have been well looked after - conditioned, oiled at the ends (with heat protection serum or argan Moroccan oil) and blow dried. I know this because I did it myself EVERYTIME they needed their hair washed - because that's the lengths I will go to to find good hair!

As for your comment on suppliers, who said they were changing suppliers the bigger they get? I dont recall saying that...I said they would source their hair from anywhere to meet demand - by that I meant, if their supplier couldn't meet their demand, they would purchase from other suppliers as well, not jump
Ship completely. And no doubt they do so without appropriate testing hence why the hair is so bad. This may not be "fact" but it is of most people opinion, unless of course they hold lower standards like yourself.

Studio58 - totally unmanageable and untameable after the first wash..!! - my ponytail looked likes horses ****!!!

Firstly, how aggresive is your response!

You also say how new you are to the extension business yet talk with such knowledge of both the trade and the hair.

Does it not strike you as odd how you have tried 3 suppliers of the same type/price point of hair and had problems yet so many people use them weeek in week out with no problems.

How do you think these suppliers would build and maintain viable businesses if all their hair was dreadful.

As for you comment about incorrect aftercare products ONLY affecting the bonds not the condition of the hair....nonsense the condition of hair at the price point you talk about will be affected by the shampoo and conditioner.

Tell you what - get some hair from yet another supplier, wash it with some baby shampooo, and then try and rescue it with your argan oil and blow drying.:lol:

This is a lively discussion!

There would never be an issue with a supplier not being able to meet demand, no matter how large that demand became.

The factories that supply the hair are HUGE concerns with massive workforces.

Other than that don't want to get involved other than to say we are delighted by the quality of our hair, as are many who use us as a supplier.

Firstly, how aggresive is your response!

You also say how new you are to the extension business yet talk with such knowledge of both the trade and the hair.

Does it not strike you as odd how you have tried 3 suppliers of the same type/price point of hair and had problems yet so many people use them weeek in week out with no problems.

How do you think these suppliers would build and maintain viable businesses if all their hair was dreadful.

As for you comment about incorrect aftercare products ONLY affecting the bonds not the condition of the hair....nonsense the condition of hair at the price point you talk about will be affected by the shampoo and conditioner.

Tell you what - get some hair from yet another supplier, wash it with some baby shampooo, and then try and rescue it with your argan oil and blow drying.:lol:

Aggressive? I disagree, merely pointing out some facts (not opinions) that you are quite clearly contradicting yourself.

That's because in addition to sulfates, baby shampoos are among the most drying agents you could put in your hair. Babies naturally produce more oils on their scalp, so their hair tends to always be oilier than an adult. Using baby shampoo eliminates this problem for babies, but for adult it would drastically dry out the hair. But again, who mentioned baby shampoo? You keep adding in things with a vague account of what I say. Essentially putting words in my mouth. There are some shampoo's I wouldn't touch my hair with, but it's a small few. Other than that they all pretty much do the same job, depending on their PEG and surfactant levels.

And at no point have I said I've only tried 3 suppliers! I gave 3 suppliers whom I have tried and it is of my opinion that their hair is of poor quality. Isn't that what this site is about? People's experiences and opinions?

Also you're REALLY not getting my point about suppliers, I'm sure I either said or insinuated that they start off with good hair - THAT is how the build a viable business! The bigger they get the poorer the hair and the customer service is!

Hi,
this thread is great! I am about to do training to fit micro ring and micro fusion bonds tomorrow, and I'm very excited! I'm sure I will be re-visiting this post many times! :)

I just womdered what peoples thoughts were on Hair Planet? I have a full head of 18" hair planet extensions, and I've got to admit, I'm really happy with them. I have looked after them really well, and just had them re-positioned after 10 weeks, and the hair still feels really good quality.

Also, just wondered on average, how many strands of hair are people fitting in a full head of micro ring extensions? I've been reading that it should be about 160 strands, my natural hair is pretty thick, and all I can count is 70 strands in my hair, which is a lot less?!

Thanks for any help
x

Closed for the time being to tidy up some rule breaking posts!

ETA: - reopened. I have removed the accusation from the above post about someone pretending to be someone who they are not. If it is found that trainers, educators or distributors are posting under assumed personas then they will be immediately banned - under all their personas. We have ways of finding out, without a shadow of a doubt so be warned!

Play fair and post as you would like to be posted to!

Last edited:
Haha oh the drama!!!!

Hi,
this thread is great! I am about to do training to fit micro ring and micro fusion bonds tomorrow, and I'm very excited! I'm sure I will be re-visiting this post many times! :)

I just womdered what peoples thoughts were on Hair Planet? I have a full head of 18" hair planet extensions, and I've got to admit, I'm really happy with them. I have looked after them really well, and just had them re-positioned after 10 weeks, and the hair still feels really good quality.

Also, just wondered on average, how many strands of hair are people fitting in a full head of micro ring extensions? I've been reading that it should be about 160 strands, my natural hair is pretty thick, and all I can count is 70 strands in my hair, which is a lot less?!

Thanks for any help
x

Hi ,i personally have never had any problems with hair Planet hair ,but stock can be a problem ,on a standard head I would order 160 strands of 0.8g ,more for really thick hair depends on length too :-D

Studio58 - totally unmanageable and untameable after the first wash..!! - my ponytail looked likes horses ****!!

The other weird thing is how just a few suppliers are being discussed, with the majority of them being rather irrelevant anyway. There has never been mention of brands that have stood the test of time, nor has there been mention of some really good places to get hair that have lots of stock, quick delivery, functional websites etc.
The other thing that is beyond ridiculous is the aftercare discussion. If a client uses, say, Kerastase or Pureology, they can use that stuff on the extensions as well, they don't need to buy the cheapo Options Ltd stuff. If a client's hair is problematic enough for them to have to use medicated products/anti-hair loss products etc then extensions shouldn't be fitted anyway. Hair vendors just resell Options products with their own logo on them to cover their backsides, that's all.
The other thing that few people seem to realize is that all sellers in the Uk buy from China ('we make packaging with your logo for free'). It's the same with tools for example, 1000 micro rings cost a third of what they would if bought over here, they have a huge variety of colors, and the stuff ships to the UK in three days. For free. It takes that long to ship from one end of London to the other with the Royal Snail, and it ain't free either!

When it comes to quality standards, I could very well imagine that they order once here, once there, sometimes maybe even just to check the quality for themselves, or because it's cheaper.

Another thing that I cannot understand is the fact that people slate hair from Afro shops, although a lot of good hair (good if we're talking mid-range budget) is being sold there, but prejudice makes people not want to buy it. And maybe also the lack of knowledge in regards to making their own bonds.

The after care thing bugs me alot too ,i can get my own product from opinions with my name on ,but it won't count if the hair is bad if I have not bought the after care for the hair supplies ,something very wrong there :-/

The after care thing bugs me alot too ,i can get my own product from opinions with my name on ,but it won't count if the hair is bad if I have not bought the after care for the hair supplies ,something very wrong there :-/

Tbh I think it's more of a disservice done to people by promoting non-pro products (Opinions) than having them use proper stuff. Any crap 'warranty' on hair is bogus anyway, their 'testing' is bogus and quite frankly it does depend on the extensions wearer themselves how the hair turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back