Big fish, little pond..? Where do you want to be..?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm.. To me 'respectable' and 'respected' are slightly different things...))

From my Oxford English dictionary:

Respectable: deserving respect
respected: given respect

So pretty much the same thing imo.

From my Oxford English dictionary:

Respectable: deserving respect
respected: given respect

So pretty much the same thing imo.

I see a difference.
E.g. a baby may yet have done nothing to 'deserve respect' but that doesn't mean we don't give it our respect. ;)

fair enough, but the clue is in 'respect' ;)

anyways, back to the little fishies :lol:

what an interesting question!

well, having given it some thought I think that today I am happy to be in a pond surrounded with nice fish that i can learn from , I am a small fish and they are the large fish. I look up to them and am happy to be around them and learn from them.

Then, one day when I am ready, I going to have my own pond..... and I am going to ask fish to come and swim in it with me and the fish coming in my pond will hopefully see the years of hard work and effort I have put in to get where I am and say that they want to be in the pond with me because they can learn from me and they know that i wont eat them!

if any of that make sense?

tigi

Isn't it amazing how many of us have their own ideas about what sort of fish they want to be and what sort of pond they would like to be swimming in..? :lol::lol:

Awww Tigi - that was very inspirational :) Hopefully, seeing as you are not far from me then one day I may be lucky enough to swim in your pond :hug:

what an interesting question!

well, having given it some thought I think that today I am happy to be in a pond surrounded with nice fish that i can learn from , I am a small fish and they are the large fish. I look up to them and am happy to be around them and learn from them.

Then, one day when I am ready, I going to have my own pond..... and I am going to ask fish to come and swim in it with me and the fish coming in my pond will hopefully see the years of hard work and effort I have put in to get where I am and say that they want to be in the pond with me because they can learn from me and they know that i wont eat them!

if any of that make sense?

tigi

I wanna be a big fish in a big pond but happy to start in a small one and then gradually upgrade.

This is mostly due to my inability to be content. I have to be at the top of my game in everything i do. Every career I have previously had (only two, one in telecomms and one in the motor trade) I need to push myself to get up the ladder as fast as i can. No idea why really!! lol I suppose im like a sponge and if the new information im taking on is something i really like then i soak it up and am still hungry for more. I make it my business to know EVERYTHING about my business. That goes for every aspect such as my product, others products, my marketing, my clients, my industry.

Whilst i currently have only a small home salon which is only open in the evenings I am very proud that I book 2-3 weeks in advance and every customer comes back. I can't take much on in the way of new clients at all now unless I do a massive client recruitment drive and open during the day (childcare cost to cover at £80 a day!!!!!)

So this is the next step. And the one after that will be a purpose built salon, the one after that involves competition and gaining a reputation for my superb treatments and salon and then to become something of a major celebrity in the south east of England and having a waiting list of eager A-listers wanting my nails...........
Oh, sorry, must of dozed off, what was i saying? ;-)

I need to push myself to get up the ladder as fast as i can. No idea why really!! lol I suppose im like a sponge and if the new information im taking on is something i really like then i soak it up and am still hungry for more.
A pushing sponge! )) You are one of a kind, then ;)

No offence meant.

A pushing sponge! )) You are one of a kind, then ;)

No offence meant.

I am most certainly one of a kind :green:

Once upon a time I was a small fish in a small pond. Then I grew into a bigger fish in that pond but the pond grew and grew.

That larger pond got to be a very frustrating pond as it was too isolated in its enclosed environment (or maybe it didn't have a water feature and too many frogs that needed kissing! :lol:) So I jumped out of that pond and into a lake then into an ocean managing to stay a medium sized fish during the journey.

I enjoy what I do because I have to keep swimming hard to meet new challenges but then I like change. It's not for everyone I know (in fact not many at all) but it suits me

Some people always want more....some people are very ambitious....some want their name is lights/press....some just want to grow and expand.....having/doing any of those things wouldn't actually make me any happier....I am already content.

I have been asked why i don't have my own salon (i work from my home salon) and why i don't have people work for me....expand and get bigger....then they look almost disappointed in me when i say it doesn't interest me....but it just doesn't. best advise i was given was by a lady who owns a Hair Salon...she said "keep it small, tight and in control"...she said when she was mobile and doing her own thing she was far happier with alot less stress. Some people love the challenge and thats fine for them...but not everyone wants that.

If your happy doing what your doing then keep doing it...if not then make the changes you need to make....but nobody should feel that they have to keep getting bigger and bigger to be seen as a success....everyone is entitled to be a success in their own right.

Great Thread Anna...:hug:

Last edited:
Some people always want more....some people are very ambitious....some want their name is lights/press....some just want to grow and expand.....having/doing any of those things wouldn't actually make me any happier....I am already content.

I have been asked why i don't have my own salon (i work from my home salon) and why i don't have people work for me....expand and get bigger....then they look almost disappointed in me when i say it doesn't interest me....but it just doesn't. best advise i was given was by a lady who owns a Hair Salon...she said "keep it small, tight and in control"...she said when she was mobile and doing her own thing she was far happier with alot less stress. Some people love the challenge and thats fine for them...but not everyone wants that.

If your happy doing what your doing then keep doing it...if not then make the changes you need to make....but nobody should feel that they have to keep getting bigger and bigger to be seen as a success....everyone is entitled to be a success in their own right.

Brilliant post Angie. Very well said. x

You are so right, some people are happy just keeping their head down concentrating on doing their own thing. But some people are not satisfied with that and want to push themselves to a different level and be recognised, whether if it is for their skill or their sucess in business.

But at the end of the day, it should be about how happy,contented and comfortable you are with yourself.

I think some people have to be the centre of attention with what they do... you know the type 'DON'T YOU KNOOOW WHO I AM???" and I really don't like that. :rolleyes:

I have said it 1000 times but once we start to believe our own 'hype' we may as well forget it. I believe (IMHO) that if you are in a position to help people become really good at an 'art' then you are very fortunate. Giving freely is a good thing not only for the recipient, but for your soul!!! Helping baby fishes grow into good strong bigger fishes for the future.

I love to watch people like Marian, Sophy et al do their 'thing' within the magazines but I have given examples of people who are still genuine and down to earth (and larger fishes in their pond). There are others that believe they are better than anyone else because they do the nails of a few famous people and therefore consider themselves famous - they forget that they are doing their job just as the celebrity is doing theirs. (these type of fishes often don't last becasue so many can see through their 'hype'...)

I have heard that there have been some in the past who wanted to use CND and become CND EA's but decided not to because 'they wouldn't stand out enough'! :eek: I love that all our CND EA's stand out individually for their own personalities but that they also love being part of a team. They inspire each other and their students. They don't have to be the largest fish because they are part of a really cool shoal!!! :)

I have no idea what fish catagory I would place myself in but I know that I am not a shark :lol: and nor would I want to be. If S2 / CND is the 'big pond'... then may all fishes be welcome as they will all be treated as successful fishes whether they be big or small!!! :!::idea:

Last edited:
Great thread:hug:

I am currently a little fish in a big pond which is happy to accommodate other fish regardless of size. As I grow I learn, not only from the big fish but also those the same size as me and those much smaller. I hope I can help all the other fish no matter their size. I would be happy to grow into a bigger fish (but not at the expense of smaller ones) if it meant I could pass on the knowledge I have gained from the big pond.

I feel salon geek is the big friendly pond where we can all learn from each other:hug::hug:

Well I'm probably only a goldfish in my own bowl, (very new bowl) and I'm happy. My bowl is filled with the support of a great big pond though...

The only intentions I have is not to be a big name, but to be a great and well-educated nailtech! I don't mind people don't know my name or who I am, but I like when people come to me because of my work.

So a small fish eventually in a big pond I guess, but as part of being a great tech is competing (IMO) and taking lots of classes eventually people will know you, so is the small fish in the big pond an option then???

This is a fascinating thread and I have enjoyed reading the posts. For me I am ambitious, I want to eventually be in a position to teach nails to others as I love teaching, learning and education it is who I am.

I have zero interest in being a big or little fish regardless of the size of the pond I have never even thought about it until now. I guess I must only have one person I feel the need to compete with and that is ME, for me to be the best I can be and then to use that knowlege and pass it on.

anne xx

I think some people have to be the centre of attention with what they do... you know the type 'DON'T YOU KNOOOW WHO I AM???" and I really don't like that. :rolleyes:

I have said it 1000 times but once we start to believe our own 'hype' we may as well forget it. I believe (IMHO) that if you are in a position to help people become really good at an 'art' then you are very fortunate. Giving freely is a good thing not only for the recipient, but for your soul!!! Helping baby fishes grow into good strong bigger fishes for the future.

I love to watch people like Marian, Sophy et al do their 'thing' within the magazines but I have given examples of people who are still genuine and down to earth (and larger fishes in their pond). There are others that believe they are better than anyone else because they do the nails of a few famous people and therefore consider themselves famous - they forget that they are doiing their job just as the celebrity is doing theirs. (these type of fishes often don't last becasue so many can soo through their 'hype'...)

Very well said Sam. And I am sure you come across these people many times in your PR job and what you do. To be famous because of someone else is not becoming famous at all.

I have heard that there have been some in the past who wanted to use CND and become CND EA's but decided not to because 'they wouldn't stand out enough'! :eek:

And I wonder if we both managed to hear the same story..? :wink2::lol::lol:

This is a thread I wrote a couple years ago, I thought it was quite interesting at the time so I thought I will resurrect it to see how our circumstances or our thoughts have changed since then.

As for myself, at the time I wrote this, I was a small fish swimming in my own little bowl at home. At present, I am still the same small fish but I have been gratefully given the chance to swim into a large pond.

Will I keep swimming or will I sink..? I think only time can tell. :lol::lol:

I have the biggest salons in my area. When my competitors were toppling in the recession, I was aware that people were watching and wondering if I would fall too. Thankfully I got us through.
Made me realise that being big ain't always best. There have been many times in the last 3 years I have wished I was a one man band.

Latest posts

Back