Bikini Waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattyj

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a question regarding bikini waxing, my friend wont come to me for any type of waxing because she said she is afraid of catching herpes or any other diseases due to me waxing other clients bikini lines, I dont actually do a full intimate wax but i do wax as far in as the client wants me to with their underwear on, anyhow she is concerned that if a client of mine has something which im unware of or cant actually see then when i put my spatula back in the wax pot its putting the germs into the wax, obviously i use a new spatula on every client but i wasnt sure how to react to what she was saying, my thoughts were that nothing would survive in the wax pot due to the temp of the wax but i want to be able to answer this question with confidence if ever asked again?

I would never double dip for intimate waxing. One spatula per dip in the pot then throw it away and use a new spatula for the next dip.
I do double dip on back, legs and chest as no part of the spatula actually comes into contact with the cient. No part of the spatula comes into contact with the client when doing intimate waxing either but it just doesn't seem quite right and from a clients point of view, i think it would probably freak them out!

that is why we don't double dip. Single use spatulas are cheap and ensure no pot contamination.

Never double dip on intimate areas. If nothing else, it's distasteful.

Having said that, I regularly check with doctors and health professionals here in the UK , and they all say that there is no danger.

So, tell your friend she'll be fine. xxx

Double dipping has always been a contentious issue and whilst there is no regulation in place against this the general conscent is to avoid this as much as possible.

Whilst the spatula never actually gets in touch with the skin i would always use fresh spatulas for the intimate areas. This will not only make your client feel better about the "cleanliness", hygiene and safety but also look more professional.

The only way she is going to get herpes from waxing, is by having unprotected sex with her esthetician! You cannot get anything from a wax pot. I do my best to educate all my clients and future clients on the difference between fact and myth.

An std is just that.... a sexually transmitted disease.... she can't catch it from waxing.

It's like nail polish.... does anyone catch disease from that?

If I were to see an outbreak of blisters or warts or anything questionable, I would not wax period. Refer them to their doctor. Having them sign a consent form that includes disclosure of stds, topical creams they are using et cetera before you wax will cover you.

I do double dip. I keep my area clean and sanitary, wash my hands, have sanitizer and personal wipes handy. I also advise the client should be clean and showered before their appointment. And I don't offer conversation with my clients about double dipping.

The lady who does my waxing always uses a specific pot of hot wax with my name on it for my intimate waxing; having a unique pot of hot wax for each client would be another way of minimising the risk of cross-contamination.
Posted via Mobile Device

An std is just that.... a sexually transmitted disease.... she can't catch it from waxing.

It's like nail polish.... does anyone catch disease from that?

OMG...does that mean you "double dip" with nail varnish???? :eek:
Just kidding and I totally agree, I dont think anyone would ever even think about that! :hug:

OMG...does that mean you "double dip" with nail varnish???? :eek:
Just kidding and I totally agree, I dont think anyone would ever even think about that! :hug:

I don't think anything (microbial) would survive for very long in nail varnish what with all the solvents and whatnot in it...
Posted via Mobile Device

I am one of those who does not agree with DD at all and I used to do it all the time as I trained a very long time ago when it was not an issue. It just looks more professional whether you believe or not that the wax gets contaminated. (which I do). I personally would not wish to be waxed when the spatula gets put back into the pot by goodness knows how many clients before me! :)

The lady who does my waxing always uses a specific pot of hot wax with my name on it for my intimate waxing; having a unique pot of hot wax for each client would be another way of minimising the risk of cross-contamination.
Posted via Mobile Device

She can't be waxing much then. I have several wax pots on the go all day just to make sure that I never run out of ready wax. Storage would be one problem......where to store all those pots. Then of course the heating of each one for every client you have that day. xxx

I am one of those who does not agree with DD at all and I used to do it all the time as I trained a very long time ago when it was not an issue. It just looks more professional whether you believe or not that the wax gets contaminated. (which I do). I personally would not wish to be waxed when the spatula gets put back into the pot by goodness knows how many clients before me! :)

I agree but as I'm always saying, I'd never double dip, or allow my students to double dip, simply because I find it distasteful.

There is no enidence at all (here in the UK) that double dipping is any more dangerous then trying on clothes in a changing room that may have been tried on my someone with a contagious skin disease.

She can't be waxing much then. I have several wax pots on the go all day just to make sure that I never run out of ready wax. Storage would be one problem......where to store all those pots. Then of course the heating of each one for every client you have that day. xxx

Ah, well she works from a home salon, and I think only a few clients have intimate waxing. She puts the hot wax on to heat up at the start of my usual 2 and a half hour full body wax and then does the intimate wax right at the end...

it is actually law in the state I live in. The Health Dept here has made it an offence to double dip at all - any waxing procedure. I know there is a lot of debate about whether or not skin cells/bacteria/sweat/blood/bodily fluids get into the wax with double dipping, but when it is illegal it becomes quite simple. Don't do it or risk getting fined! Once you really set your mind to it it really isn't a hassle because it is what you do ALL the time. It becomes habit.

I agree but as I'm always saying, I'd never double dip, or allow my students to double dip, simply because I find it distasteful.

There is no enidence at all (here in the UK) that double dipping is any more dangerous then trying on clothes in a changing room that may have been tried on my someone with a contagious skin disease.

The difference is though that the skin becomes vulnerable to possible infection due to the waxing process rather than just trying a shirt on in M&S. Which study provides this evidence? There seems more reports occurring admittedly not in this country but that does not mean we should not take notice!:hug:

I have to agree that I would never double dip either. It just seems wrong to me regardless of any eviendence there is and to really put it into perspective for me personally, my teenage daughter has just started to have her eyebrows waxed and the thought of wax going on her face that has had spatulas double dipped in for Mrs XYZ's bikini or underarm waxing seems totally unacceptable to me. So if I find it unacceptable for my nearest and dearest, then morally for me its unacceptable for anyone else too. So thinking about it like that I never dd before and I certainly would never ever double dip and do everything I possibly could to keep my wax as hyginic as possible for me even if only for my own peace of mind as it the same wax that I use for everyone. Its just my own opinion.

wow. here in Italy everyone uses the Metal Spatulas for all parts of the body. When I tell them that in the UK they use a different spatula for bikini waxing and never double dip, they look at me as though I am full of lies. They do not clean them either between clients.

Even where I work, which is a top hotel, they do not allow you to use all those spatulas for a bikini wax. I do not really agree with it, but find it hard to bring the issue up with my employer. I do insist on the wooden spatulas though, so do not use the same one per client.

At college we got taught to drizzle...you basically have a new spatula that only goes into the wax pot which you then drizzle onto the spatula you are going to you use on the skin (making sure the two spatulas don't come into contact with eachother, hence drizzleing). So the spatula you use on the client never gets into contact with the wax in the pot! It sounds time consuming but once you do it a few times, its like everything....you do get quicker at it! And then you've only used two spatulas for one client!

At college we got taught to drizzle...you basically have a new spatula that only goes into the wax pot which you then drizzle onto the spatula you are going to you use on the skin (making sure the two spatulas don't come into contact with eachother, hence drizzleing). So the spatula you use on the client never gets into contact with the wax in the pot! It sounds time consuming but once you do it a few times, its like everything....you do get quicker at it! And then you've only used two spatulas for one client!

I have never seen that being taught and quite honestly if you want to make money in your time - ie speedwaxing you simply cannot have the time to drizzle wax from one spatula to the other.
Time is money and i would rather waste a disposable spatula than waste the time "playing" with wax.

Latest posts

Back